PDA

View Full Version : tiger in noosa river?

bigred77
02-12-2008, 04:07 PM
hi ausfishers, i heard a rumour of an 8ft tiger shark being caught in the noosa river sometime over the weekend.im lead to believe it was caught somewhere around the fryin pan.it was released.does anyone know if there is truth to this or heard of this before.cheers bigred77

Didley
02-12-2008, 04:23 PM
There were quite a few of us around there on Saturday for the Jack comp. and I heard nothing, maybe Sunday, but I'd be very surprised. Not to say one wouldn't come in there but, it'd be a hell of a coincidence if someone was there with gear heavy enough to catch that and even stranger if some kid got it on whiting gear, don't U think?

Didley
02-12-2008, 04:28 PM
Might have Pistol_P on his way across the river, going to Double Island Point, to get more LT tuna ;)

Horse
02-12-2008, 06:55 PM
An 11'er was caught in mullet nets above Tewantin back in the 70's so it is possible. The mouth was a lot deeper back then though

insideout
02-12-2008, 07:20 PM
dont know if they were tigers, but on a trip out last year,going across the noosa bar ,and the hull bumping on the sand on the way out......(charter) as the sun was comin up ,there was a lot of sharkie activity on the bar, to dark to see stripes, but large toothy characters none the less.....maybe bulls?

tunaticer
02-12-2008, 07:44 PM
There was a very large tiger shark (in excess of 10 feet) caught in Lake Catharaba back about 15 yrs ago. I remember seeing reports in the paper and on the tv back then. There was one tangled in a river trawlers nets 20+ yrs ago in the pine river. That one too hit the news.

Jack.

ffejsmada
02-12-2008, 07:45 PM
Anything's possible as their was a satellite tagged White Pointer in Laguna Bay last month.
They kept that quiet, but we were told by a crew member from the Government shark netting crew. They were told to keep an eye out for it.

bballfisho
02-12-2008, 07:54 PM
there were some 2m+ whalers caught last christmas and there a some big things in that system...but im not so sure about a tiger being in there....bullies and whalers that size are a major possibility though

Tewantin
03-12-2008, 07:11 PM
I saw one swirling on the surface in the woods bay area about 6 months ago. It looked to be a good size going by the size of the dorsal and the swirl on the surface. Happened only 30 metres or so from my boat but I didn't get to identify what type it was.

Creek Vermin
03-12-2008, 07:43 PM
I was swimmin in the pan on saturday. Can't recall seein him then.........

trueblue
03-12-2008, 08:06 PM
don't be surprised where a shark can turn up...

Pistol_P
03-12-2008, 08:36 PM
Anything's possible as their was a satellite tagged White Pointer in Laguna Bay last month.
They kept that quiet, but we were told by a crew member from the Government shark netting crew. They were told to keep an eye out for it.

Jeff,

That white apparently swam into the river mouth then just went out back into the bay.
There was a white caught in the shark nets at Noosa 2 weeks ago...(which was kept quiet) and I also received an email of a white caught in nets off the goldcoast.

See photo attached

Pete

BrandonH
03-12-2008, 08:54 PM
good weather for them, if ts a reliable source I wouldn't doubt him... We saw a good sized bully jump in the woods bay Saturday around midday.

nuggstar
03-12-2008, 09:14 PM
that was crazy, it jumped out of the water. then it slamed something and tore it to bits.

Bud-dy
03-12-2008, 10:15 PM
I know a few guys that actually go down into the woods bays of a night with there tld30s etc and get live mullet for bait then sit around ctaching sharks all night long the best numbers wise is 32 in one night mainly bull skarks but also other types.
Paul

mattooty
04-12-2008, 07:43 PM
Very easily believed. There was a little (4ft) tiger in about 3 foot of water here at yamba only a week ago. A bloke i work with (gamakatsu) and myself were working plastics for brown shovel headed flat fish when we saw him cruising along the shore in crystal clear water. Where theres small fish theres often others ALOT bigger.

Dug
04-12-2008, 10:18 PM
It surprises me the number of people kids and dogs who swim there.

I was up there a while ago just on sunset in murky muddy water and there were whole families swimming and splashing about in the shallow. The same time and conditions that the girl was taken at Stradbroke Island a few years back.

You would not catch me going into that kind of estuary water for anything.

Davey
05-12-2008, 08:32 AM
I was fishing up near where the barge/ferry thing moors about 2 years ago and saw a shark leave the water by a good six feet. It was about the same size as Bob Abbott maybe a bit taller though (Same around the girth). It belly flopped back in and made made a massive splash. Frightened the poo out of me. Not sure what species it though!

abbot_86
08-12-2008, 06:58 PM
I was fishing up near where the barge/ferry thing moors about 2 years ago and saw a shark leave the water by a good six feet. It was about the same size as Bob Abbott maybe a bit taller though (Same around the girth). It belly flopped back in and made made a massive splash. Frightened the poo out of me. Not sure what species it though!

its Abbot mate not Abbott