PDA

View Full Version : What size electric motor ?

Tailortaker
01-12-2008, 08:58 PM
G'Day All, I'm about to go buy a watersnake leccy motor but was wondering if a 44lb bow mount will be big enough, it's going on a 3.9m quintrex with floor,casting deck, bait tank, 25hp outboard and normally 2 pob.. will the 44 do or should I go up a size ???
Cheers TT

NormC
01-12-2008, 09:14 PM
A bit of a 'how long is a piece of string' question IMO TT.

Depends how you plan on using the motor. If you are flicking lures and just planning on quietly sneakinig into an area, moving to the bank to retrieve snagged lures, controlling a 'drift' for flicking, perhaps a bit of trolling in the dams, you are fine.

On the other hand if your main use will be trolling, or use in tidal areas or with regular wind, I'd be going bigger.

I started with a small (40 lb?) transom mount on a 3.5m tinnie. With a move up to a bigger boat (initially 3.75, and now 3.95) and using the electirc motor a lot more, I now have a 55 lb bow mount Min Kota.

For my use, I would not want anything any smaller.

Norm C

Bear001
01-12-2008, 09:19 PM
I agree with Norm C. If you are going to troll - go bigger - esp when the wind blows up!

I have 4m hornet with 55lb Minnkota & certainly wouldnt want any smaller.

Tailortaker
01-12-2008, 09:23 PM
I'll be mainly using it while flicking sp's in the passage so there will be some wind and current to contend with.

Tailortaker
02-12-2008, 08:18 PM
any more advice???

rhycebullimore
02-12-2008, 08:21 PM
44lb is fine, i have never trolled with an electric as i beleive that the fish i am chasing are actually shaken up by the motor or at least more alert and tend to hit the lurers harder...barra/jacks/cod/fingermark...but its up to you it will be enough for the current just flicking and retreiving lures, but plan your drift properly ie go with current when nessary.

Blackened
02-12-2008, 09:14 PM
G'day

I have a 54lb watersnake on a 12' tinny, use it for trolling, in a fashion.

Will push the boat, 2 up and loaded with gear about 3kph. Enough for what I want.

Here's a hint, ring around all of the kmarts, see if they have any in stock, they're all on clearance. I paid $163 for mine

Dave

Mike Delisser
02-12-2008, 09:51 PM
44lb will be great on your 3.9mtr, I had a 44 on a very heavy 4mtr boat with a 40hp donk, 2 batteries and a 90ltr live-well and it was fine. Even in the river with a fast ebbing tide.
Current boat is a plate 4.4mtr with a 4st 60hp, big live-well & a 60lt fuel tank, I put a 55lb Minn Kota on that and have heaps of power.
Unless you can get the 55lb for only about $75 more I'd save the coin and stick with the smaller motor.
Cheers
Mike

tunaticer
03-12-2008, 09:01 AM
It also depends havily on the currents you fish in as well. Wind is one annoying factor, but currents are a lot harder to fight if your motor is struggling. Much better to run a larger motor at 1/2 throttle then a smaller one flatout and barely having enough.

Placement of the battery is also something that needs to be considered carefully. Effectively it is the weight of a 3rd person on board and all too often they are placed "out of the way" but putting the boat in a less than optimum attitude in the water.

Jack.