PDA

View Full Version : Fishing Report For Awonga

boss3173
01-12-2008, 08:41 PM
I am looking to go Barra Fishing at Awonga the weekend of 13 & 14 of December 2008. As I am travelling a long distance I was wondering if anyone had any fishing reports to date.

Awoonga
02-12-2008, 08:28 AM
I am looking to go Barra Fishing at Awonga the weekend of 13 & 14 of December 2008. As I am travelling a long distance I was wondering if anyone had any fishing reports to date. Mate there is a comp on that weekend...The fishing reports that l have heard are that its a bit tough at the moment..

Jenny VI
04-12-2008, 09:01 AM
Boss,

My usual fishing buddy fished there a couple of weeks ago (last full moon) and said it was a little hit and miss with no real patterns emerging, but in saying that after a lot of casts they got 6 or 7 in the boat from memory.

I'm heading up there from Wednesday the 10th and heading home on Sat the 13th, so if i bump into you up there I'll give you a more up to date report. I have a white and silver 465 tiller with a large bass on the rear quarters.

If anyone is fishing Awoonga this weekend please reply with a report, it would be much appreciated! ;D

Cheers,
TD.

FishCQ
04-12-2008, 09:50 AM
I'll be fishing there this weekend 5th 6th and 7th i'll feedback what i see.

went last full moon got 2 hookups and 2 spits none in the boat week before that got about 6 in the boat.

The rumours are that its very hit and miss at the moment, gotta be in it to win type stuff.

Jeremy87
04-12-2008, 10:07 AM
I was up on the 28th 29th 30th and scored my first doghnut. 3 solid days of effort resulted in 5 or 6 half hearted taps and a foul hooked cattie. Probably know of 3 or 4 getting landed over that period. There was a breif period of activity on saturday night just after sunset. A termite swarm hit the lake and the boneys were up on top feeding on them in deep water, saw 2 boneys get smashed by barra.

Awoonga
04-12-2008, 10:43 AM
There is a lot of sediment in the water at the moment...... Lots of weed dying and lower oxwgen levels in some areas of the dam..Fishing is tough ...but if you dont go you have no chance of catching any....There is a comp on next week starting Sunday going through to Friday and they have a prefish ban in place ...so no fishing for me at Awoogee this week...

Callop
04-12-2008, 11:10 AM
There is a lot of sediment in the water at the moment...... Lots of weed dying and lower oxwgen levels in some areas of the dam..Fishing is tough ...but if you dont go you have no chance of catching any....There is a comp on next week starting Sunday going through to Friday and they have a prefish ban in place ...so no fishing for me at Awoogee this week...
Good luck in the comp Trev
Dave

BigChiefBarra
04-12-2008, 09:28 PM
Fished the dam early on Sunday morning - 4.30am till around 10ish.

Landed a 79cm off a point running parrallel to the wind.

Plenty of Boney's hitting the surface, not much else.

Scared off 4-5 Barra sunning themselves in the shallows down near Dingo, so called it a day.

Hope to do same this Sunday. Definitely the best time of day as the sun comes up over the water. Life is too good.

Cheers

Gaz

Sniper
05-12-2008, 09:44 PM

Hey Trev. Will see you tomorrow night at the briefing. Hope we land a few. Better than sitting at work anyway.
Chat to you tommorrow.
Bill

BigChiefBarra
07-12-2008, 02:34 PM
Today, Hit the same spot as last Sunday for similiar result. Nice 84cm on Stiffy Boney bream twitched hard around the weed beds.

boss3173
10-12-2008, 09:43 PM
Thanks to everyone you has replied. Any ongoing reports on Awonga would be much appreciated.

matt fraser
11-12-2008, 09:52 AM
I just called Trev this morning, he just got his first (770mm) in four days of fishing! They have extended the fishing hours for the comp to 12hr sessions, just to try and help people catch fish.

Trev said there have been a few more caught by trollers than casters.

Water green, Oxygen low, sediment high = fishing tough!

Any Monduran reports? I've got a mate going on tuesday, was going to go to Awoonga but now stopping at Monduran.

Cheers,

Matt

NAGG
11-12-2008, 10:33 AM
I just called Trev this morning, he just got his first (770mm) in four days of fishing! They have extended the fishing hours for the comp to 12hr sessions, just to try and help people catch fish.

Trev said there have been a few more caught by trollers than casters.

Any Monduran reports? I've got a mate going on tuesday, was going to go to Awoonga but now stopping at Monduran.

Cheers,

Matt

sounds like tough times Matt ....... When the locals struggle

Thanks for the heads up

Cheers

Chris

matt fraser
12-12-2008, 09:17 AM
Latest report from Trev is that he has flogged the water to foam casting and his weary body can't go on - he has resorted to trolling! Yes you read that correctly gentlemen Trevor is trolling! and enjoying it apparently.

But he did get the one fish yesterday (casting) and he reckons that would put him in the top five. Yep its tough!

Cheers,

Matt

Peter4
12-12-2008, 09:27 AM

Matt, that sounds very much like Monduran about six weeks ago. Water quality was very good last weekend and the odd fish was caught - mostly on slickrigs. We were reasonably successful around the weed beds.

Is there a blue-green algae measure for Awoonga? I only ask as Monduran has been rated as 'moderate' since October though I have heard that it has gone from the high end of moderate down to the low end.....this will no doubt have an impact on water quality and oxygen levels.....

It has certainly been a tough season at both impoundments.....

BTW leave Trev alone. Nothing wrong with a relaxing troll if your casting arm feels like it is ready to drop off!

Regs

Pete

Sheik
12-12-2008, 08:54 PM
Hope it improves by January. BUt we have got Jase to take us around for one afternoon before we get started. Much weed around at the moment or has there been a fresh into the dam? Anyone know?

FishCQ
13-12-2008, 12:58 PM
Anyone heading out tonite 13th and need a deckie... i'm all out of deckies..

Awoonga
15-12-2008, 05:05 PM
Yes fishing was tough ....very ...When you cast for 12 hours and no hits... there must be a problem And that was for three 12 hour sessions... Friday morning things got a little better ..They must have got hungry ...we got five fish in about forty minutes...Better late than never...Then l fished the barra and Basstastic comp on the weekend dragging my weary body out of bed at 3am ... l caught a grand total of three fish for the weekend... the last one five minutes before the session ended... enough to win the comp....

anthony72
15-12-2008, 05:31 PM
That's a good if not awesome weekend compared to my recent lack of success at the dam! I also went out on weekend, caught in storm- fun putting boat on trailer, but prior to rain they definately came on plenty of hits on plastics just before moon - no drag pulled but activity, lost two 110 plus ( I am guessing at boat trolling in about 8 m of water after dark using classics- one straightened owner hooks while I was bringing to net, the other cut me off , at least their was some activity! funny enough I was filthy for 2 mins then just became more obsessive!
Will be back out there in day or so for another night run