PDA

View Full Version : Haines Signature 542F vs. Cruisecraft 575 Outsider

For Steve
01-12-2008, 08:20 PM
We’ll hopefully be upgrading within the next 12 months to a family-friendly fibreglass boat in the 5.5m range.

We’re looking at second-hand, 3-5 years old with a $35-40K budget.

We’ve narrowed it down to either a Haines Signature 542F (115-140HP) or a Cruisecraft 575 Outsider (130-150HP), both of which we could tow using our Hilux 4WD (1800kg capacity).

Please offer your opinion, advice and suggestions regarding the pros and cons of these boats.

Regards
Brad

bigjimg
01-12-2008, 08:48 PM
Gidday Brad
While not owning a 542f I do have the slightly larger 580f and can honestly say that they handle well in less than average conditions as you would expect the Cruisecraft.The sad point on the Haines side is on my boat the sloppy fitting off of some fittings.Also going through the motions of fixing water leaks,not good,but they are fixable and at this stage just annoying.The Cruisecraft is a well built boat and humans make those as well.Best of luck with the searching there're are some good buys out there.Jim

finding_time
01-12-2008, 09:19 PM
Brad

Send GBC a pm he owned a Cruise Craft 550 outsider ( almost the same inwater hull as the 575) and now ownes a 542 . I doubt there is anyone on here who can give you better feed back on the various advantages of each hull!!

Ian

death_ship
01-12-2008, 09:44 PM
check out the 580 breeze as well in the price bracket and weight

GBC
02-12-2008, 12:59 PM
Both are o.k. -

550 is exactly the same hull bottom as the 575.

Question to ask yourself is "what am I really going to use it for?"

Then ask the original question again based around thse criteria.

cc is finished a bit better than signature, but both spit screws and mouldings out like there's no tomorrow.

signature in my opinion is a better sea boat and has the cred(tholstrup, webster etc etc) to back it up. Much better to trim and drive if that's your go.
cc will slow plane only marginally better, and will sit higher in the water at rest - not necessarily more stable at rest though.

Both will do what you want them to do, just the sig has the ability to do it faster and softer in any given sea.

I don't think I'll have another outsider - they are just too rough to ride in, and anyone who fishes outside from Brissy will understand the miles that are put in to get where you need to go. Again, if you don't plan on doing 80 odd mile days don't be put off by the cruise craft - they have a lot of redeeming features.

c.j.

For Steve
02-12-2008, 05:31 PM
All great advice - thank you, it's exactly the sort of thing I'm after.

check out the 580 breeze as well in the price bracket and weight

Yes, the HH 580 Breeze was also on the list but I like the walk-around feature of the 542F and the Outsider. However, I sometimes wonder how often this will get used.

Both are o.k. -

550 is exactly the same hull bottom as the 575.

Question to ask yourself is "what am I really going to use it for?"

Then ask the original question again based around thse criteria.

cc is finished a bit better than signature, but both spit screws and mouldings out like there's no tomorrow.

signature in my opinion is a better sea boat and has the cred(tholstrup, webster etc etc) to back it up. Much better to trim and drive if that's your go.
cc will slow plane only marginally better, and will sit higher in the water at rest - not necessarily more stable at rest though.

Both will do what you want them to do, just the sig has the ability to do it faster and softer in any given sea.

I don't think I'll have another outsider - they are just too rough to ride in, and anyone who fishes outside from Brissy will understand the miles that are put in to get where you need to go. Again, if you don't plan on doing 80 odd mile days don't be put off by the cruise craft - they have a lot of redeeming features.

c.j.

If I was to give a figure on it's intended use, it would be:
70% family boating and fishing within the bay from Bulwer to Peel Is, and the occasional overnighter with my wife and 2 little kids
30% more serious bay and offshore fishing

Ride is a major consideration. I didn't realise the CC gave a rough ride. I was leaning towards the CC as it's slightly larger and has a better walk-around deck. I thought this extra room would come in handy as the kids grew.

More suggestions welcome.

Thanks again
Brad

Tangles
02-12-2008, 07:35 PM
Interested in this thread as for me ive been looking at either the Signature 580f or the CC 575 outsider, both have the wifes tick of approval re interior, probably come down to dealer and motor

mike

death_ship
02-12-2008, 07:35 PM
the 580 has big cabin space and they ride better than the CC, walk around is the trade off for cabin space

For Steve
02-12-2008, 07:48 PM
Interested in this thread as for me ive been looking at either the Signature 580f or the CC 575 outsider, both have the wifes tick of approval re interior, probably come down to dealer and motor

mike

G'day Mike

The 580F appears to be a great boat. Again it was one on my short list but no walk-around. What's your thoughts on how functional a walk-around really is? I thought it would make docking and anchoring easier, and possibly open up another fishing spot on the bow. On the other hand, as death_ship says, no walk-around = more cabin space.

Regards
Brad

GBC
02-12-2008, 07:52 PM
The cruisecraft isn't a dog - don't get me wrong, and if you bought one I see no reason why you wouldn't like it - they have a lot of redeeming features over a sig - stainless steel work is one of them.

They just tend to belt their fat ar$e and large reverse chines in chop (ie moreton bay), and in some directions on some days they can be downright uncomfortable until they are pulled back to a speed much slower than the sig would handle the same conditions comfortably.
They are also a bit flighty (difficult to keep in the water) in chop compared to others.

That being said, they will mostly cruise along quite comfortably.

I tend to travel a long way to fish and that particular trait became an issue for me.

Tabs or 100kg of fish in an esky in the cabin will help this issue somewhat.

Have a look at the underwater shapes of the two hulls - the 542 is a spear in comparison and the difference underway is noticeable.

Just trying to give my most objective views on each.

C.J.

Scalem
02-12-2008, 09:15 PM
Hi Brad,

As you know I am going through the same dilemma, so comparing notes ....

I really want to get into something new up to the 40K mark, but it's a roller coaster ride trying to find boats I am 100% happy with, in this market. My short list was looking good then I saw another boat that would tip me into the mid 40's and I've gone back to a plate boat. The list was

Tournament 1750 with 115 Etec around 40K
Pursuit 550F with 90hp Suzie 4s early 40'sThen I had a closer look at .........

Makocraft Centre/Cab 560 with Optimax Merc 115, full clears and bimini/rocket launchers and 130ltrs u/f, dual battery switch, humminbird 787 clr combo, privacy canvas curtain that isolates the bunks which you can sleep on, full stretchI know plate rides a little harsher than glass, but I can't get the makocraft ( stessl) outa my head. It's a great boat and has everything where I want it for a few K more. I'll just drive a little slower in the chop!!;)

Scalem

rumy1
02-12-2008, 09:23 PM
Have a look at Boatpoint and see what the prices are because your budget is a little low maybe if you want all the goodies with the boat. There is a 5.42F with a 140 Suzuki for $41000 on there at the moment.
Both boats are great and would suit your purpose.

scoota
02-12-2008, 09:34 PM
Personally Brad, I think you have two great options and either boat would be enjoyable for the use you require.

One question I have for GBC, who seems to be the best option for advice is, which boat would he rather be in, coming home in a very ugly following sea?

Thats the one I would buy!!

Scoota...

Ocean_Spirit
02-12-2008, 09:38 PM
I agree with the above comments. You do owe it to yourself and your family to request a water-test in less than favourable conditions, and try both of these boats. Pay attention also to the trailer set-ups, and engines (another whole topic), anchoring arrangement, fittings and quality of construction. When you find the boat you then like, it does pay to get the appropriate checks on everything.

Without trying to confuse you, have a look at a Seafarer 5.5Mr Viking or 5.75Mtr Vega. Cannot go wrong with these boats and given you are looking at second-hand, (whilst they do hold their value) they are a very well built, time-proven craft.

E.g.:

http://www.tradingpost.com.au/Marine/Power/Power-Boats/AdNumber=W1206423956313?BackToResult=true

For Steve
02-12-2008, 09:38 PM
Hi Brad,

As you know I am going through the same dilemma, so comparing notes ....

I really want to get into something new up to the 40K mark, but it's a roller coaster ride trying to find boats I am 100% happy with, in this market. My short list was looking good then I saw another boat that would tip me into the mid 40's and I've gone back to a plate boat. The list was
Tournament 1750 with 115 Etec around 40K
Pursuit 550F with 90hp Suzie 4s early 40'sThen I had a closer look at .........
Makocraft Centre/Cab 560 with Optimax Merc 115, full clears and bimini/rocket launchers and 130ltrs u/f, dual battery switch, humminbird 787 clr combo, privacy canvas curtain that isolates the bunks which you can sleep on, full stretchI know plate rides a little harsher than glass, but I can't get the makocraft ( stessl) outa my head. It's a great boat and has everything where I want it for a few K more. I'll just drive a little slower in the chop!!;)

Scalem

G'day Brian, Too many to choose from mate. It can sure make your head spin. Keep seaching - the right one will come along.

Have a look at Boatpoint and see what the prices are because your budget is a little low maybe if you want all the goodies with the boat. There is a 5.42F with a 140 Suzuki for $41000 on there at the moment.
Both boats are great and would suit your purpose.

Yeah, there's a couple of nice 2005-2007 model 542F's on BP at the moment. One at $41K (140HP Suzuki) and one at $38.5K (135HP Optimax). Both with good extras.

For Steve
02-12-2008, 09:41 PM
I agree with the above comments. You do owe it to yourself and your family to request a water-test in less than favourable conditions, and try both of these boats. Pay attention also to the trailer set-ups, and engines (another whole topic), anchoring arrangement, fittings and quality of construction. When you find the boat you then like, it does pay to get the appropriate checks on everything.

Without trying to confuse you, have a look at a Seafarer 5.5Mr Viking or 5.75Mtr Vega. Cannot go wrong with these boats and given you are looking at second-hand, (whilst they do hold their value) they are a very well built, time-proven craft.

E.g.:

http://www.tradingpost.com.au/Marine/Power/Power-Boats/AdNumber=W1206423956313?BackToResult=true

Good tips here - thanks.

Love the Seafarer's but too heavy for my 1800kg towing capacity.

Cheers
Brad

For Steve
02-12-2008, 10:07 PM
The cruisecraft isn't a dog - don't get me wrong, and if you bought one I see no reason why you wouldn't like it - they have a lot of redeeming features over a sig - stainless steel work is one of them.

They just tend to belt their fat ar$e and large reverse chines in chop (ie moreton bay), and in some directions on some days they can be downright uncomfortable until they are pulled back to a speed much slower than the sig would handle the same conditions comfortably.
They are also a bit flighty (difficult to keep in the water) in chop compared to others.

That being said, they will mostly cruise along quite comfortably.

I tend to travel a long way to fish and that particular trait became an issue for me.

Tabs or 100kg of fish in an esky in the cabin will help this issue somewhat.

Have a look at the underwater shapes of the two hulls - the 542 is a spear in comparison and the difference underway is noticeable.

Just trying to give my most objective views on each.

C.J.

I hear what you're saying mate - your opinion is much appreciated. Unfortunately, there's little chance of me bringing home a 100kg of fish. :-[

Personally Brad, I think you have two great options and either boat would be enjoyable for the use you require.

One question I have for GBC, who seems to be the best option for advice is, which boat would he rather be in, coming home in a very ugly following sea?

Scoota...

That's a good question to ask!

Another question for those Ausfisher's who have a walk-around deck on their boat, like those on a CC Outsider or Signature 542F. Do you use it and do you think it's a good feature?

Regards
Brad

gofishin
02-12-2008, 10:10 PM
Brad, have you done a search on the Sea Media site? PW has done a few tests on the 540 'series' over the years and rates them as one of the best performing offshore craft in that size mono. Not sure if he has done a test on the small CC.
cheers

Tangles
02-12-2008, 10:54 PM
G'day Mike

The 580F appears to be a great boat. Again it was one on my short list but no walk-around. What's your thoughts on how functional a walk-around really is? I thought it would make docking and anchoring easier, and possibly open up another fishing spot on the bow. On the other hand, as death_ship says, no walk-around = more cabin space.

Regards
Brad

Well main thing for me was the compromise, a boat i could fish from and one Bec could relax in and the two interiors which got the tick where the signature and the cc outsider. Walkarounds havent really come into it for me, these two i feel offered the best compromise for Bec and I for different reasons. id be happy with either, will come down to dealer. I know blokes here will go on about this boat or thats better but for me its a boat for both Bec and I and lets face it I havent got either in the front yard at present?

mike

GBC
03-12-2008, 03:29 PM

Scoota...

Dunno about the best option bit ................

In a following sea both boats will get you home.

I found the cruisey had a fairly harsh 'stalling' motion when running the backs of swells due to the bluff bow bogging. That boat also 'capped' quite a few waves, filling the cockpit enough to stall the engine. I will however add that I was pushing fairly hard at the time so the driver was a BIG part of the reason that it happened.
Add also to that the fact that the newer 575 has the hipped sheerline which effectively lifts the bow by about 150mm which is a sh!t load more buoyancy right where it is needed most in a following sea.
The cruisey also tended to drive off line quite easily while punching smaller following seas.

On balance the sig just goes along doing it's thing. You'll notice at the top of the bows just below the coaming john haines adds a bulbed section to the hull to give excellent bow recovery - the man can build a hull.

Please also bear in mind that my 542 is a centre console version which is obviously going to be less top heavy, give less windage, and have much better weight distribution than any half cab could ever do - so a direct comparison between the two boats I've had isn't going to be completely accurate.

jigsnreels
03-12-2008, 06:31 PM
Don't know anything about the cc's but here's my $0.02 worth about my 540F/honda130(same hull, different deck to 542)

When trimmed right, easily the softest riding mono for its size I've been in. Very stable. A bit wetter than my previous boat which was a humble Carribbean Concorde. Has a problem with leaning to starboard when I'm fishing alone - this could be because of the hydrofoil on it, don'y know, will sort this out in January.

Steering wheel comes in a crap position unless you like sitting while you drive. I don't. So when I put in hydraulic steering, I sawed a hole and moved it up to the place where sounder is meant to be. That's where I reckon the steering wheel belongs.

All in all, I love it, just wish I could use it more often.

FWIW, I'm writing from Tas and ride is important to me. A 25km trip in a 2 metre swell and one metre chop is something I want to do in some comfort, and for what I'm prepared to spend/tow/store, the sig is good. But remember, no knowledge of CC's

bigjimg
03-12-2008, 09:55 PM
Gidday Brad
I will add just a couple more points of interest on the sig 580f. If the driver is a bit excited in a following sea the boat can bury the bow to some degree in which case you might want to have the wet weather gear on as the storm flap on the clears wont stop the little bit of coral sea that climbs up the screen.Also I have modified the bow roller,as no bowsprit is fitted the anchor has
nowhere to sit permanently while under way as the anchor locker is too small to accomodate a 6 kilo plough.A short length of flat ss and bolted through the hinge section fixed this problem.The anchor bore upon the glass otherwise.No kill tank
requires esky to be taken on fishing trips.I love it though these are only minor issues i am currently in the process of rectifying the trailer set up.I would guarantee there would not be a perfect set up on a bought boat new or second hand.My opinion only.Jim

GBC
04-12-2008, 01:55 PM
They July issue of F&B had a test on the 543 sig - same hull.

Needless to say that 'in the opinion of the writer' it's the greatest 17 foot thing he's tested since the last greatest 17 foot thing.
Nothing like a bit of infomercial eh PW.

I think you'll find he says that about the 550/575 cc that won their boat of the year, and about the 520 kevlacat.

Lord knows he can even find redeeming features on a quinny!!!:-X

For Steve
04-12-2008, 02:18 PM
Brad, have you done a search on the Sea Media site? PW has done a few tests on the 540 'series' over the years and rates them as one of the best performing offshore craft in that size mono. Not sure if he has done a test on the small CC.
cheers

Thanks gofishin - I'll check it out.

Don't know anything about the cc's but here's my $0.02 worth about my 540F/honda130(same hull, different deck to 542)

When trimmed right, easily the softest riding mono for its size I've been in. Very stable. A bit wetter than my previous boat which was a humble Carribbean Concorde. Has a problem with leaning to starboard when I'm fishing alone - this could be because of the hydrofoil on it, don'y know, will sort this out in January.

Steering wheel comes in a crap position unless you like sitting while you drive. I don't. So when I put in hydraulic steering, I sawed a hole and moved it up to the place where sounder is meant to be. That's where I reckon the steering wheel belongs.

All in all, I love it, just wish I could use it more often.

FWIW, I'm writing from Tas and ride is important to me. A 25km trip in a 2 metre swell and one metre chop is something I want to do in some comfort, and for what I'm prepared to spend/tow/store, the sig is good. But remember, no knowledge of CC's

Thanks for your opinion. It's good to hear how your 540F handles the rougher conditions.

Gidday Brad
I will add just a couple more points of interest on the sig 580f. If the driver is a bit excited in a following sea the boat can bury the bow to some degree in which case you might want to have the wet weather gear on as the storm flap on the clears wont stop the little bit of coral sea that climbs up the screen.Also I have modified the bow roller,as no bowsprit is fitted the anchor has
nowhere to sit permanently while under way as the anchor locker is too small to accomodate a 6 kilo plough.A short length of flat ss and bolted through the hinge section fixed this problem.The anchor bore upon the glass otherwise.No kill tank
requires esky to be taken on fishing trips.I love it though these are only minor issues i am currently in the process of rectifying the trailer set up.I would guarantee there would not be a perfect set up on a bought boat new or second hand.My opinion only.Jim

Hi Jim, Thanks for adding some more details. Would you mind posting a picture of the modification you did to accommodate the plough anchor?

They July issue of F&B had a test on the 543 sig - same hull.

Needless to say that 'in the opinion of the writer' it's the greatest 17 foot thing he's tested since the last greatest 17 foot thing.
Nothing like a bit of infomercial eh PW.

I think you'll find he says that about the 550/575 cc that won their boat of the year, and about the 520 kevlacat.

Lord knows he can even find redeeming features on a quinny!!!:-X

While I enjoy reading boat reviews, I can't help but notice they offer very little constructive criticism and no real comparison to other vessels in the same class. This really limits their value as a research tool.

Perhaps the boating magazines should follow a similar idea as Wheels magazine, where they compare and rate several vehicles in the same class in the review.

Also, why do a review of an offshore boat in smooth conditions??? ;D

Regards
Brad

Argle
05-12-2008, 08:43 AM
It might be pushing the limit on the Hilux but If i had around 40K for a boat at the moment there are a couple of late model 600F Signatures for sale on Boatsales at the moment. A red one in Victoria with a 175HPDI and lots of fruit for 45 (talk him down to 40) and another one in Brisbane with a 150 Opti for around the 40 mark.
Much as I like the 542 and 575cc the bigger sister would do it for me! Now where's that lotto ticket gone;D

By the bye whichever you decide on you will have a very nice boat that will be the envy of many8-)

Cheers and Beers
Scott

For Steve
05-12-2008, 10:59 AM
It might be pushing the limit on the Hilux but If i had around 40K for a boat at the moment there are a couple of late model 600F Signatures for sale on Boatsales at the moment. A red one in Victoria with a 175HPDI and lots of fruit for 45 (talk him down to 40) and another one in Brisbane with a 150 Opti for around the 40 mark.
Much as I like the 542 and 575cc the bigger sister would do it for me! Now where's that lotto ticket gone;D

By the bye whichever you decide on you will have a very nice boat that will be the envy of many8-)

Cheers and Beers
Scott

G'day Scott

I totally agree - the 600F is my preferred boat and they are great value at the moment. It would give us more room for when the kids are bigger and has a walk-around deck too.

If my bloody Hilux had a 2000kg towing capacity, the decision would be made. According to the specs, the towing weight is around 1960kg. I live less than 5 minutes from the Manly Harbour and 99% of the time I'd launch from there. I'm sure the Hilux could do it, but I guess the problem is with the insurance if something were to happen on the way to/from the ramp. Perhaps someone could eloborate on this?

Sadly, it's not an option to change vehicles and buy a boat as well. The Hilux is a good reliable 4WD, just wish I could tow a bit more with it.

Regards
Brad

Ally Jack
05-12-2008, 02:34 PM
Brad,

It's a bit out of your size range and might be overweight for the hilux, but the price grabbed me

http://www.boatpoint.com.au/boats-for-sale/details.aspx?R=2989154

Ally Jack

Argle
06-12-2008, 09:27 AM
Hi Brad, mate the problem as you said is that yeah it would be illegal and insurance would be a problem. Another thing to remember is that most of the tow weights (not all but most) are dry - that is no fuel, water, tackle boxes eskies and all the other junk whoops essentials that you need in a boat. When you take all that into account the tow weight goes up dramatically. This is something to remember if you tow your boat away on holidays, we pack all sorts of gear in the boat and you need to keep weight in mind when doing this as you can end up overweight without trying too hard, and its only when you need to stop in a hurry that you find you cant because you dont have enough stopping power for the rig.

Good luck with your decision anyway, do you launch from the public ramp or from the Moreton Bay Trailer Boat club ramp?
I launch out of MBTBC when going out in the bay, I might see a flash near new Sig or Cruise Craft down that way soon hey!

Cheers
Scott

spearking
06-12-2008, 03:16 PM
Hi brad,
mate I tourtured myself for months recently over this exact same decision with the same two boats in mind. Eventually after a lot of footwork and research I setteled on the cruisecraft. The deciding factors for me were the extra deck room the layout of the boat and the extra features that came with the second hand boat ......like a toilet and electric winch.
The extra room is great for the kids and yea I use my walkaround all the time, useful for cleaning, launch and retreive, fishing ect.
Ive had the boat out in hairy weather and its been great so far, although I've noticed the bow does like to bog down if you hit a swell the wrong way other than that tis a very dry ride. My last boat was a 4.5 alloy and obviously the ride now is substantially better than what i was used to so I can't complain.
Overall I'm more than happy with my purchase, now all i need is some more time to enjoy my new toy.
Hope this helps somewhat.

For Steve
06-12-2008, 04:05 PM
Brad,

It's a bit out of your size range and might be overweight for the hilux, but the price grabbed me

http://www.boatpoint.com.au/boats-for-sale/details.aspx?R=2989154

Ally Jack

Very nice Ally Jack. Too heavy unfortunately.

Hi Brad, mate the problem as you said is that yeah it would be illegal and insurance would be a problem. Another thing to remember is that most of the tow weights (not all but most) are dry - that is no fuel, water, tackle boxes eskies and all the other junk whoops essentials that you need in a boat. When you take all that into account the tow weight goes up dramatically. This is something to remember if you tow your boat away on holidays, we pack all sorts of gear in the boat and you need to keep weight in mind when doing this as you can end up overweight without trying too hard, and its only when you need to stop in a hurry that you find you cant because you dont have enough stopping power for the rig.

Good luck with your decision anyway, do you launch from the public ramp or from the Moreton Bay Trailer Boat club ramp?
I launch out of MBTBC when going out in the bay, I might see a flash near new Sig or Cruise Craft down that way soon hey!

Cheers
Scott

Hi Scott

Yeah, I'd prefer to do the right thing and not have the worries if something went wrong. Once I loaded up a 600F it would have to be around 2200kg+. I'll get a 600F down the track once the Hilux has grown up into a Landcruiser. ;)

I launch my 4m tinnie at the public ramp next to the MBTBC. I plan to launch my new boat at the public ramp at the southern end of the harbour. It has a pontoon which would be helpful with my wife and little ones. Would love to join the MBTBC one day...one day.

Thanks again for your tips with this Scott.

Hi brad,
mate I tourtured myself for months recently over this exact same decision with the same two boats in mind. Eventually after a lot of footwork and research I setteled on the cruisecraft. The deciding factors for me were the extra deck room the layout of the boat and the extra features that came with the second hand boat ......like a toilet and electric winch.
The extra room is great for the kids and yea I use my walkaround all the time, useful for cleaning, launch and retreive, fishing ect.
Ive had the boat out in hairy weather and its been great so far, although I've noticed the bow does like to bog down if you hit a swell the wrong way other than that tis a very dry ride. My last boat was a 4.5 alloy and obviously the ride now is substantially better than what i was used to so I can't complain.
Overall I'm more than happy with my purchase, now all i need is some more time to enjoy my new toy.
Hope this helps somewhat.

Very helpful thanks mate - appreciate your input. I'm upgrading from a 4m tinnie so either the CC or the Signature will feel like heaven.

I hope you find the time to get out there more often.

Regards
Brad

Reel Blue
06-12-2008, 05:06 PM
I had a 600F. Boat weighs 850kg. Add a very generous 250 kg for a motor, generous 200 kg for fuel, and you are still 700 kg under 2 tonne. Your trailer will be well short of that. Most 600F are not sold with electric brakes, only mechanical, as you can easily keep the weight under 2 tonne. The Signature catalogue I have even lists the bigger 630F under two tonne.

PinHead
10-01-2009, 08:17 PM
I hear what you're saying mate - your opinion is much appreciated. Unfortunately, there's little chance of me bringing home a 100kg of fish. :-[

That's a good question to ask!

Another question for those Ausfisher's who have a walk-around deck on their boat, like those on a CC Outsider or Signature 542F. Do you use it and do you think it's a good feature?

Regards
Brad

I would not have a small boat without a walk around feature..will never dive into cabin and stick up through hatch to do anchor duties.

Hoodie
11-01-2009, 01:17 AM
i own a 542f -2004 modal 115 mercury its got a good soft ride -electric anchor -and i wanted a boat that look after me in rough times coming back from moreton

Jabba_
11-01-2009, 07:46 AM
I would not have a small boat without a walk around feature..will never dive into cabin and stick up through hatch to do anchor duties.

Thats what a windlass is for:) :)

PinHead
11-01-2009, 08:13 AM
Thats what a windlass is for:) :)

haha..on a boat under 6m..not likely..and..they do foul up at times...rope does nto go back into locker correctly etc so still have to get up there.,

Daamu
11-01-2009, 07:38 PM
Hey Brad,
Just my 2c worth. If you are going to use it for 70%family then Take both boats for a run with the family in some ordanary weather and let them decide.
If the cooks not happy then youi'll know about it.
Cheers

Dale

Jabba_
11-01-2009, 09:09 PM
haha..on a boat under 6m..not likely..and..they do foul up at times...rope does nto go back into locker correctly etc so still have to get up there.,
Yes rope will foul up, but not short link chain... I originaly had 50m off chain untill I lost the whole lot over the side... I now have a 10m chain and 60m rope, and yeah, the rope is a pain in the back side... I will be getting ride off it and getting 60m off chain again....

Screw pulling up a 7kg plow anchor with chain and 30-50m off rope....
Just press a button and up come the anchor..

ozscott
12-01-2009, 09:05 AM
I have 150m of white (nylon) not silver rope poly rope and 7 metres of short link to the 18 pound Manson in the Vagabond. The Vag's rope area accomodates all this nicely and I dont get tangles, as the rope is soft and lays nicely (whereas with the silver it got hard and didnt lay well and got tangled).

I initially had some problems with the south pacific windlass (free fall model) but I stripped it down and made one of the brushes run true its slide (it had been binding and needed a shave) and since then it works every time and pulls hard. I use a stainless gypsie and with the nylon there is no rope slip. The old Vag is not that much over 6 metres, but it makes life out there a dream when anchoring, especially near other boats when you want to drive and not run up front and back again.

Cheers

backlash08
12-01-2009, 10:42 AM
always be sure that tow weights are within vehicle OEM specs, insurance will wipe you and if someone gets hurt you may as well been over .05, never worth the risk regardless of how close to the ramp you are IMO
cheers