PDA

View Full Version : Podding a 23 Bertram FB

David H
01-12-2008, 08:09 PM
Fellas,

I was chatting to Chimo this morning and the conversation turned to the future potential of fitting a pod and twin outboards to my 23 foot Bertram fly bridge which currently runs a 5.7lt 260hp strendrive.

I know this conversion has been done before, so does anyone have any thoughts on how much it would cost to fit a fibreglass pod and what the optimum motor configuration would be (we thought 2 x 150).

What do you reckon ?

David.

Spaniard_King
01-12-2008, 08:48 PM
3 -5 K for the pod plus engines 40K for 300HP a couple of K for odds and ends

two up
01-12-2008, 08:55 PM
David,

What are you trying to achieve, are you doing this because the boat needs a new motor or trying to gain extra cockpit space. You are right in that these type of conversions have been done before, but with varying degrees of success, I feel you will be creating an orphan that will be hard to sell. Personnally I would leave the configuration as is. But if you do decide to convert going with 2 x 150 4s and fibreglass pod I don't think you will get much change from 40-45k unless you can do most of the work yourself. 1 x 250 4s and pod would be more economical and plenty of power. If you are looking for a new motor Volvo are running their specials again, a 5.7 and duoprop leg would be a sweet combo in that boat.

David H
01-12-2008, 09:14 PM
two up,

at this stage it is purely theoretical. My current motor/leg is working fine and both are well maintained, my question really only came about due to a what if conversation.

I take your point about creating an orphan.

I the future, if required, I like your idea of the duoprop ...... I have heard the duoprop is up to 20% more efficient than a merc leg ........ not sure if this is factual though.

If I did get a volvo motor ..................... would I have to wear a lawn bowls hat when I go out in the boat ? ;D

Mr__Bean
01-12-2008, 10:53 PM
two up,

If I did get a volvo motor ..................... would I have to wear a lawn bowls hat when I go out in the boat ? ;D

Not sure, but if you have a 23 Berty then you must already have the long white socks!!

- Darren

:D :D

finding_time
01-12-2008, 11:51 PM
I've seen a few that have been done at Arnold's fibreglass at Hemmat they would be able to give you a close cost figure over the phone for the pod , worth a ring!

ian

39NESP
02-12-2008, 05:02 AM
Pod On My 23 Huntsman $1300 To Buy
Cheers Snapper

Noelm
02-12-2008, 07:03 AM
I have been part of a 25 Berty pod and Outboard conversion, it was all "home made" and a couple of Merc Optis fitted, works very well and created a heap more room in the Boat, if you are even remotely interested I could get some pictures for you next time he has it on the trailer at home. The only downside of the conversion is a definate loss of stability when stopped, nothing dangerous, but it is enough to be noticable, so it must be quite a bit (I reckon)

jimbo59
02-12-2008, 09:00 AM
I have done a full hull extension on a 26 mariner, he fitted 2 x 175 omc's cost was $8500.00 he is very happy with the mods. Ill try and get a photo.

Chimo
02-12-2008, 09:19 AM
Hi David H

Jimbo's sounding more like the ball park eh!

J Is thit boat on the GC and could I have seen it on the Broadwater?

Cant wait to see the pics

Cheers
Chimo

ozlongboarder
02-12-2008, 01:38 PM
Have a look here for some ideas and lots of info on pods and repowers for Bertram. www.25bertram.com

A sinlge 225 would be plenty of power. If I did my 25 again I would put a single 250hp Suzuki 4s on the back. It would give better troll economy and probably similar cruise economy but I could tilt it out of the water unlike the sterndrive that lives in the saltwater.

iceknight
02-12-2008, 09:55 PM
my old boss had a 23 birdy with 2 150 fuel injec mariners, via a pod, went well!

gavsgonefishing
03-12-2008, 05:42 AM
I reckon its a great idea. Have you thought about a couple of outher mods like centre console or walkaround with a mini tower?

I know the yanks are into this sort of setup, and it looks great

GAV