PDA

View Full Version : Jet skis, Bayliners and asstd speed/ski boats

Chamelion
01-12-2008, 11:14 AM
The ammount of idiots in these vessels was astounding yesterday.. I couldn't believe it. I think there were more idiots in Bayliners than on jet skis or other branded speed/ski boats.

Sure might help to avoid this - http://www.news.com.au/story/0,23599,24732528-1702,00.html?from=widget_rss

I've started to yell at them, but when they pass my anchored boat well within 20m at 35-40 knots I doubt they can hear me!

I guess the upside is that my kids of 8yo and 4yo have quickly become very aware of whats happening around the boat when out on the water. They're always notifying me of other boats etc.

Matt.

Jeremy
01-12-2008, 04:01 PM
sounds like a typical Sunday on the Gold Coast
Jeremy

finga
02-12-2008, 07:40 AM
sounds like a typical Sunday on the Gold Coast
Jeremy
Sad, but oh so true :'(
That's why I never launch the boat on week-ends or Public holidays.

Mitchoo
02-12-2008, 07:47 AM
mate where you in the maroochy it was a shocker with the jetskies one came past up around the sandbanks at picnic point so close i could have hit him with my rod

Chamelion
02-12-2008, 09:45 AM
I was all over the place mate, started at about 1:30pm. Went from Petrie creek to cotton tree right at the mouth, back down to north shore and then stopped randomly anyware between Petrie creek and the mouth until about 7pm.

There were a lot of the idiots flying through the north shore stretch in that thin channel doing 30+ knots meters from swimmers. Kids (mine included) kept getting thumped by the wash on the waters edge.

Matt.

MTAQ/BTAQ
02-12-2008, 03:23 PM
For what it is worth the jet skis are breaking the law for within 60 metres of an anchored vessel or the shore they must be doing 6 knots no wash.

Phone their rego number into MSQ and they may get a written caution to be on their best behaviour in future or a fine could follow.

goldfish
02-12-2008, 04:54 PM
thats a good idea we ban all bayliner's, speed boats, jet skies ect... i drive a sea ray & a speed boat. so i will agree to put my boats away when the rest of the idiots in tinnies stop anchoring in chennels, desanigated ski areas, ect. you can't tar all with one inciedent. it is sad that this little kid was hit & killed (& i think there is more to the story than that link says) however that dosn't make all that drive these machines unlawful or inconciderate. i can only guess your one of thes old blokes that buggers around on the boat ramp for 20min to retrive a 12ft tinnie while i wait patiently or jump in & help. now these old blokes (& the learners) have the right to use the ramps & i even enjoy helping out sometimes. the one thing i love about fishing & boating is that it can be done by any-one the rich the poor the young the old. everyone can have a go at it. but not everyone is the same just because you had an idiot race past you in a fast boat dosn't mean we all do...
you may put all your fish in 1 bucket but don't put all people in the same pot.

ok now that i have upset you all go hard..
rick.

finga
02-12-2008, 05:07 PM
No reason to go hard on ya goldfish.
What you have spoken is the truth.
It peeves me as well when boats are anchored in the middle of narrow channels or someone has dumped crab posts in the middle of nowhere with green markers on the end of the rope.
If only people of all descriptions put a bit more thought towards the considerations of the many other users of the water... . :-/

Chamelion
02-12-2008, 06:42 PM
thats a good idea we ban all bayliner's, speed boats, jet skies ect... i drive a sea ray & a speed boat. so i will agree to put my boats away when the rest of the idiots in tinnies stop anchoring in chennels, desanigated ski areas, ect. you can't tar all with one inciedent. it is sad that this little kid was hit & killed (& i think there is more to the story than that link says) however that dosn't make all that drive these machines unlawful or inconciderate. i can only guess your one of thes old blokes that buggers around on the boat ramp for 20min to retrive a 12ft tinnie while i wait patiently or jump in & help. now these old blokes (& the learners) have the right to use the ramps & i even enjoy helping out sometimes. the one thing i love about fishing & boating is that it can be done by any-one the rich the poor the young the old. everyone can have a go at it. but not everyone is the same just because you had an idiot race past you in a fast boat dosn't mean we all do...
you may put all your fish in 1 bucket but don't put all people in the same pot.

ok now that i have upset you all go hard..
rick.

I'm not upset at all.. Nowhere in my post do I state or even hint to state that all drivers of these boats are idiots and/or they should be banned. I merely pointed out that the majority of inconsiderate idiots on the river were operating those sort of vessels.

For the record.. I'm a new boatie, only a month old, it takes me no time to launch and retrieve my boat. I might time myself one day :)

Matt.

Chamelion
02-12-2008, 06:43 PM
Editeditedit

sparkyice
02-12-2008, 10:08 PM
jet skis- i hates 'em!
but, they have a right to be on the water.
and- the responsibility to operate safely within the law.
i pretty much gave up on fishing from my boat through the summer because of the rec boaters tearing around. the fish bite better in the winter anyhow.

goldfish
03-12-2008, 03:51 AM
I'm not upset at all.. Nowhere in my post do I state or even hint to state that all drivers of these boats are idiots and/or they should be banned. I merely pointed out that the majority of inconsiderate idiots on the river were operating those sort of vessels.

For the record.. I'm a new boatie, only a month old, it takes me no time to launch and retrieve my boat. I might time myself one day :)

Matt.
point taken matt, however you must remember that these chanels are the highways. i & most will slow when a vessel is anchored & i cant past outside the the 30metre but in saying that if a boat is anchored on the edge of a narrow chanel & i might guess that 20m is 30m (my poor jugement & i don't have a tape mesure) however it would be nice for others to show consideration & not anchor in the middle of chanels. these larger boats burn a lot of fuel to get on the plane. i'm not aware of the river you mentioned but i guess there were a few boats passing along (the highway) maybe a quieter spot to fish might be an option for you, after all i don't play on the bruce highway.
i guess is what i'm trying to say is that consideration needs to comes from more than 1 party, there are all type's of things to do on the water & there is the right place to do them.
cheers
rick.
ps welcome to the boating/fishing world, enjoy it & let others enjoy it aswell

PinHead
03-12-2008, 05:08 AM
point taken matt, however you must remember that these chanels are the highways. i & most will slow when a vessel is anchored & i cant past outside the the 30metre but in saying that if a boat is anchored on the edge of a narrow chanel & i might guess that 20m is 30m (my poor jugement & i don't have a tape mesure) however it would be nice for others to show consideration & not anchor in the middle of chanels. these larger boats burn a lot of fuel to get on the plane. i'm not aware of the river you mentioned but i guess there were a few boats passing along (the highway) maybe a quieter spot to fish might be an option for you, after all i don't play on the bruce highway.
i guess is what i'm trying to say is that consideration needs to comes from more than 1 party, there are all type's of things to do on the water & there is the right place to do them.
cheers
rick.
ps welcome to the boating/fishing world, enjoy it & let others enjoy it aswell

fuel costs are irrelevant in this issue.
I have seen boats of all sizes from 10' tinnines through to 40' + breach that law...when the Govt decides to supply the funds to have the water police on the water then the problems mat be resolved.

Donny Boy
03-12-2008, 05:47 AM
[quote=PinHead;936185]fuel costs are irrelevant in this issue.
I have seen boats of all sizes from 10' tinnines through to 40' + breach that law...when the Govt decides to supply the funds to have the water police on the water then the problems mat be resolved.

True that PH.................... but I'm not holding my breath.

Maybe when LNP gets in.............?????????????? ;)

goldfish
03-12-2008, 08:30 AM
PH. Treue fuel costs is irrelevant in this. a clasic example of what i mean is the chanel from southport to the seaway. should boats slow in this area just because people choose to anchor up in this chanel. (whithin 30m yes) but a lot push the 30m rule (& i have even seen the water police,vmr ect push the 30m along here), me included. there are places that you can anchor & places that maybe its not a good idea. consideration from all parties would go a long way.
cheers
rick

White Pointer
03-12-2008, 11:48 PM
G'day,

I'm anchored on Scarborough reef last Sunday morning in a very light boat and the chop is coming from all directions. It is not comfortable but I have two rods out and I'm getting some bites but not getting anything to hook up.

I'm a bit focussed on my fishing and suddenly there is a noise. I look up and there is a sports boat heading straight at me. I stand up ready to dive right or left. It steers off and passes about 8 foot behind me.

In the seconds before the wake hit me I could see his wife and kids laughing their heads off. I didn't get a rego number or boat brand. It was all to fast.

Then I fell over in the boat as the little boat took 3 inches of water from the wash and the swell.

Then I went home.

White Pointer

PinHead
04-12-2008, 06:32 AM
PH. Treue fuel costs is irrelevant in this. a clasic example of what i mean is the chanel from southport to the seaway. should boats slow in this area just because people choose to anchor up in this chanel. (whithin 30m yes) but a lot push the 30m rule (& i have even seen the water police,vmr ect push the 30m along here), me included. there are places that you can anchor & places that maybe its not a good idea. consideration from all parties would go a long way.
cheers
rick

If people are anchored there then the law says you must slow and no wash within 30 metres of them..it is the skipper's call if he chooses to break the law...but don't whinge of they get fined.
Once again, where someone anchors is their choice...if in a channel then they have to be very alert at all times to ensure they are seen let alone anything else.

PADDLES
04-12-2008, 07:31 AM
yep, the law is the law pinhead, you are correct. but like goldfish is saying, a little common sense goes a long way. at low tide our channel out the caboolture river is pretty suss, i simply stay on the plane so i don't have any problems with the depth or location of it, if anyone chooses to anchor in said channel then they will definitely have myself, or any of my mates in their boats for that matter, travel within 30m of them on the plane. that being said however, if they are in a 10 foot tinny or a canoe, i idle past and take my chances with the bottom, like others have said, a little bit of common sense from both parties (anchored or moving boats) goes a long way.

ps. anyone who goes boating in popular areas such as the lower reaches of the maroochy and the broadwater on a weekend, expecting to have a nice quiet day with no-one coming anywhere near them, is kidding themselves and should probably move to the gulf or NW WA to get away from everyone. that's like going for a picnic on the side of the gateway and then complaining about the traffic noise.

PinHead
04-12-2008, 07:59 AM
As I said Paddles..the law is the law..it relates to someone in a 10' dinghy going past a 100' boat or vice versa..no wash when passing within 30m...it is rather simple really.

PADDLES
04-12-2008, 08:51 AM
yep, no arguments from me re. the law being the law. i guess i bend it a little now and then and so far haven't been caught.