runci
01-12-2008, 09:16 AM
they have just changed this motor to a version that we cannot use
does anyone know where there might be a stash of the older model

:-[

we dont want to have to change to ..... another brand

Noelm
01-12-2008, 10:03 AM
can you tell us why you cannot use the new model? might be able to help somehow.

runci
01-12-2008, 10:30 AM
we have 6 boats that means 12 motors
and going what hubby says they have downpowered them to an 8 and the steering connections are cheap and tinny and would break as soon as fitted

the motor looks smaller and i believe that they have shaved 6 kilos off it

we have been using the older model for 20 years and and everything about it was easy to use and fix
we have been able to source one new one and two second hand ones since i posted first
but i think it may be easier to find hens teeth.

if we change to any bigger outboards we have to change the back of the boats to take the extra weight, and we would be unable to remove any motors manually as we do now.

runci
01-12-2008, 10:31 AM
oh and quite frankly we find yamaha the most durable and reliable plus they are easy to work on

Noelm
01-12-2008, 10:45 AM
OK first off, I doubt that they have lowered the HP by almost 2 HP that is like a 20% reduction, being 6KG lighter seems to be an advantage, and lastly, I guess the Motor is basicaly the same, you may just have to learn a few odds and ends to look after them, remember, all your new Motors are going to be different, so in (say) 5 years time, you will be an expert on the newer ones as well, just because it is sloightly different, does not make it bad.

Noelm
01-12-2008, 10:48 AM
OH I forgot, I kind of doubt that the steering would be so weak and tinny that it would break as soon as you used it, but I could be wrong of course.

FNQCairns
01-12-2008, 11:10 AM
they have just changed this motor to a version that we cannot use
does anyone know where there might be a stash of the older model

:-[

we dont want to have to change to ..... another brand

I too was set to buy the yam 9.9hp a year or so ago, then found out they changed the engine:'( so scratched the idea. Good luck, for sure the old model stocks ran out fast upon the news of the change.

cheers fnq

runci
01-12-2008, 11:45 AM
ok i jgot somethings wrong just checked
the 9.9 were downpowered 15hp
and now they have uppowered from a 8hp
where the control cables go in no longer is suitable for our applications

Seawind have had to create there own part for the control cables without any help from yamaha
and thats a big company

black runner
02-12-2008, 08:16 PM
Why not use the 15 (unless you are restricted by hull hp limits) which is the same cc and weight as the old 9.9 you are talking of. The price list out of F&B shows the price to be about the same

Cheers

GBC
03-12-2008, 03:34 PM
I know of a long shaft with about 5 hours on it if you want to make an offer?