PDA

View Full Version : gas fridge on a boat ?

wayneoro
28-11-2008, 07:38 PM
went to bcf today salesman thought maybe there might b a problem offered to get the info but i told him i will float it on ausfish ::)

disorderly
28-11-2008, 08:27 PM
interesting question Wayne....I guess at least 2 potential hazards come to mind...ie fumes and a constant open flame..

Where are you putting it?

finga
28-11-2008, 08:31 PM
They're allowable and done quite often. But you have to have it done correctly.
The installation (boat) needs a gas ticket.
How big are you wanting Wayne?
Is it going to be permantely fixed or one of those portable units?

wayneoro
29-11-2008, 03:16 AM
cheers guys going on a long cruise [few mths] starting at 1770 end jan. then slowly heading nth. frig will be on the deck looking for a lg one . i had heard that gas frig shouldnt be moving around [as in waves] 12volt set up is way to xxy. ?

tunaticer
29-11-2008, 07:16 AM
Surely by this time the use of a pilot light will have been circumvented and the use of piezo ignition would be taken up as standard?

Gas fridges tend to be in use normally after a days running around, during the day they normally run on 12v whist travelling. That being said tho, I have a large upright kero-converted-to-gas fridge in a hunting lodge that needs to be upended at the beginning of each trip before firing it up. If it is not upended it will not work, up end it and it works almost too well being able to freeze solid things on the first shelf under the freezer section.

Is there a marine version of a caravan fridge?

Jack.

Chris Ryan
29-11-2008, 08:26 AM
check with the guys at Dometic - they make the caravan accessories like fridges and air cons etc for the manufacturers. Might be a good source of info.

death_ship
29-11-2008, 09:11 AM
they tend to use caravan fridges in the cabins of boats (upright 3way)but must be installed by a licenced gas fitter as there are a number of requirements to meet in the ag601 gas standards. as for out on the decks, shouldnt be a drama as long as you get it done by a gas fitter. PM me if u want some advice as i am a gas fitter.

freefish
29-11-2008, 11:22 AM
Have you looked at a marine eutetic unit? Usually comes with the plates, compressor etc & you build a cabinet to suit where it fits best. Act as frig/freezer with the coldest next to plates. Compressor runs off your motor. A couple of hours running each day was plenty. I used to sail all day then run the motor getting on & off moorings & that was usually enough. Both Engels & Waeco make similar 12v customizable units. Bill

PinHead
29-11-2008, 06:12 PM
eutectic usually needs a water inlet and outlet thru the hull for the condenser to operate.

freefish
30-11-2008, 11:45 AM
Hi, The gas is economical but needs to be level or nearly so all the time soI would go for a 12v fridge running off a dedicated battery (130 a/hr deep cycle) wired as a second battery to charge whenever moving. Should give at least 3 days use without charging. If boat is trailered also secondary wiring to run fridge or charge battery while driving. Waeco instead of Engels not because they are better but would be less prone to rust. Cut & shut a waeco fridge plug to an Engels cord to fit an Engels socket as the Waeco ones have not taken continuous use for me. Engels ciggie plugs are fused & fit tighter but I prefer the screw in ones. Have a good hold down system to keep it all in place in the rough times. Have fun & wish I was doing it. Bill

runci
01-12-2008, 11:54 AM
i know not what to do with a gas fridge

do not have gas fridge on in work shop while trying to see if it works......................

...................... then spill fuel:-/:o

cormorant
01-12-2008, 02:26 PM
Adding a source of ignition, explosive heavier than air gas and combining it with flexible pipes and a steel gas cylinder is just too much risk. We had one in an older house style boat and spent forever checking ventilation was correct and that the gas alarm was working. Too much worry as if gas goes to the bilge it can explode. I think we had to have it inspected evry so many years as well.

Newer ones might be better but it would flame out in strong winds etc etc. There are new stainless or carbon fibre gas bottles avaliable now which would make me a little more comfortable about cylinders deterioting like they ddi.

Don't think just because it is on deck it is safer as you still need it certified. We had gas a s our cooking fuel but had the BBQ mounted outside a s the cabin was just no place to have fat smoke and splashes. We used a camp oven as the oven when required to roast as could never have been bothered with teh hassle of cleaning the small oven in the cabin. Have used metho on other boats and it is not too bad but can be a little slow. Best point is that fire can be put out easily with water and fuel is easy to source and store.

20 years ago there wasn't the options that there is now in electric refrigeration. Use a couple of engels and use one for freezing ice and the other to keep fresh goods in. With the ice just put it in a esky and whatever you are using that day in the esky and you'll be surprised how little energy the fridges use. Good batteries , good charging circuits and chargers and a genny if you aren't cruising for a few days.

Horse
01-12-2008, 06:22 PM
Go with the 12volt compressor system. I would never put a gas system near petrol motors etc. I would rather run a small 12volt system with a solar bank or small genny that you can put on deck to recharge if needed
A properly installed gas fridge is fine but I would stay clear of the mobile camping style ones

wayneoro
02-12-2008, 05:54 AM
ty guys bought a big 3 way upright [dometic 184 ltr] perfect silent ::) 1 yr old but exterior looks lot older marks dents some surface rust on hinges ,pipes etc