PDA

View Full Version : Fishing in the Rain??

tasreeling
28-11-2008, 08:40 AM
Being that the weather is miserable at the moment, I thought I would ask the question, do you fish in the rain?

Does the rain affect the fish such as their feeding times, morning, afternoon, do they go deeper to get more shelter?

Looking at the weather if you have a good pair of waders, gortex coat, warm shirt, boots and are very keen, anything stopping you fishing in the rain?

If your fishing from the rocks you obviously need to be a bit more careful about footing and wear a PFD etc.

What are some of the other things to look at and consider?

Noelm
28-11-2008, 08:48 AM
OK, my usual response, have you ever seen it rain UNDER the Water??? unless you have some sort of floods, rain does bugger all to Fishing (except you get wet!) in fact, some locations MAY be better because it will be over cast, but that does not always mean better Fishing, if it is raining, and you want to go Fishing, then go, simple really!

FNQCairns
28-11-2008, 08:56 AM
I have had yellowbelly go stupid when it rained, smaller Murray Cod also but not near as busy as the yellowbelly.

In salt water I cannot say I have noticed a difference.

cheers fnq

Mrs Ronnie H
28-11-2008, 09:16 AM
Hi
Used to go for trout when it rained and always had good results. As for salt water don't think it matters much. Wouldn't like to be out in abig downpour though.
Ronnie

coucho
28-11-2008, 09:21 AM
Does the rain affect the fish such as their feeding times, morning, afternoon, do they go deeper to get more shelter?

Do they go deeper for shelter in case they get wet?
Rain just means less light under water no other difference. I think rain makes little to no difference to be honest. A fresh or rise in river levels on the other hand makes all the difference. I think that the change in barametric pressure often associated with rain could be the reason fish seem to bite better in rain periods. Just a thought though no proof.

WestOzDesertFisher
28-11-2008, 11:23 AM
I really don't think it matters either. I had a awesome sesh last wkend in the rain, got into some good fish. Tuna were feeding on the surface like they usually would, got into some good mullaway(jew) and queenfish.

sleepygreg
28-11-2008, 09:03 PM
In my experience, when it has been raining with light winds, i have found the fishing to be better. However in Qld the rain seems to more often than not be accompanied by strong winds....which make fishing extremely uncomfortable, if not dangerous.

The theory being the rain makes visibility in the water limited which means the fish are not as easily spooked, especially when fishing the shallows or estuary systems.

Greg

jtpython
28-11-2008, 10:27 PM
Love fishing in the rain in the warm weather on the boat it's that wind and lightning that's the problem.
Down all aerials and rods out of holders

needmoretime
29-11-2008, 02:21 PM
I think one of the other big benefits to fishing in the rain (esp in the bay) is that there are generally a whole lot less people so if you restricted to w'ends generally as I am that can be useful.

Cheers
NMT

goat boy
29-11-2008, 04:44 PM
it's more a choice of personal comfort I guess, I'll fish in the rain quite happily. The wind is about the only thing to stop me or stop me going.

Jigs Down
29-11-2008, 11:40 PM
Not much good up here for Barra especially on surface lures. I think its the noise from the heavy rain. Wouldnt want to be on the harbour at the moment to find out with a good storm just about to hit us.

major-defect
01-12-2008, 06:17 AM
I reckon bream bite better with some light rain.I think it has something to do with the light.

spelchek
02-12-2008, 03:13 PM
Nothing better in the world than sittin in a boat - alone or with a mate - in the rain with all your warm/wet gear on. Snug as a a bug in a rug, impervious to the rain, master of my own domain (oops). Cup of hot coffee, relaxing ciggy and a square or two of dark chocolate. I love it.

Gotta be warm and dry tho - geting wet/cold and having to sit and bear it - well... it sucks.

As for quality of fishing in rain... Ive had some great sessions with rain involved, Ive had some shockers. Same as warm, sunny and clear :)

Fishbait
07-12-2008, 04:36 PM
I love fishing in the rain. I reckon it gets the fish going on the occasions I've been out - both yellowbelly fishing out west, and bream fishing here at Bribie. Cheers, Darren.

PatricsOnTheCoast
12-02-2009, 03:55 PM
I've caught some massive flatties in the rain, but its been years since i've really done it to be honest. In the salt though you sure get alot more catfish when its raining!

baitwaster
12-02-2009, 04:03 PM
I also love a good fishin session in the wet. Boat ramp is usually less crowded, no skiers, and I don't care if I catch fish or not, also, bait smell and fish guts gets washed off so you don't smell as bad when you get home.

I have even been fishing with no water before, a mate and I just baited up and cast into a dry creek bed on a hunting trip out west. Bait lasted for ever - very relaxing.

struktcha_man
12-02-2009, 04:52 PM
As a kid I used to fish in the rain all the time when we were on holidays and I would sit on the sandflats in the summer rain pulling in some very nice whiting and flathead.

Lately (a lot later), I recently caught a jew In the rain @ 80cm land based, I was standing under a bridge flicking SP's.

Cheers

rockfisho
12-02-2009, 09:28 PM
Ill certainly be heading out to do some rockfishing. I prefer to fish when its very overcast / spitting. discolours the water surface and the fish come in closer to the rocks and bite later in to the morning and come on earlier at dusk.

Owen

Chong
12-02-2009, 09:47 PM
I'll fish in the rain;)

I'll fish in the wind:o

But if its blowing and raining.......

Forget It:(

One of the best whiting/flatie sessions i ever had was in Iluka rained all day, no wind, but we killed them;D

Cheers