PDA

View Full Version : New To Awoonga

Basil2
27-11-2008, 10:28 AM
Hey guys we are heading to Awoonga for the first time in January 6th to 13th. Just wanted to know if any of you could pass on some tips,GPS points or land marks that would help us get started on our trip. Any help will be appricated have seen plenty of photo's of quality fish being caught and would like to add a couple of those to our collection. Cheers Basil2 ;D

black_sheep
27-11-2008, 04:44 PM
Mate, best thing is to search the 'Freshwater reports' for topics on Awoonga. It will give you a heads up on the dam. Weed beds change a lot in Awoonga and so do fishing conditions.

My bext piece of advice is to try and book a charter with Johnny Mitchell, Jason Wilhelm, Rod Harrison......they all local guides and can teach you more about Awoonga and how to fish it in a few hrs than what or I could work out in a decade. These blokes are on the water 90% of the year so they know it back to front.

Well worth the dollars if you don't want to come back with a donut. Like a lot of dams, when the barra are a bit switched off, it's really tough.

Good luck Baz.

chris_macca
27-11-2008, 08:13 PM
Make sure you take lures that work in different depths. I have had success with Predatek Vipers/Hyper Vipers, Classic Barra lures, Halco Scorpion crazy deeps (125mm long) and take an array of colours as they tend to like one colour one minute then another the next! Take heavy gear aswell. And when you hook one hang on!

Good luck with the trip!

Chris

sea tiger
27-11-2008, 08:59 PM
Hi Basil
spend as much time as you possibly can on the water through the day ,finding shallow weeded area's close to deep water. Whilst searching have lures trolling, spending daylight hours getting familiar with the dam. I know they all say you can catch barra anytime of the day, but for a new comer with limited time they really fire into the evening and night. Stay away from the crowds, find a nice quite spot and you will hear the barra. Of a night they will be close to the surface chasing boney bream, shallow running lures work well, through the day fish deeper. I have only fished Awoonga a couple times, but had a blast every trip, hope you have success, be warned it's very addictive!
Cheers Tiger.

Basil2
28-11-2008, 09:17 AM
Thanks very much for the info, will take it on board. Merry christmas to all and if you guys see a boat called 4 play stop and say g'day Basil2