PDA

View Full Version : Upsizing To Larger Trailer Wheels

russ81
27-11-2008, 12:56 AM
Hows it going guys

I was wondering if there is any harm in replacing the 13" wheels I currently have on my boat trailer with 15" rims and offroad tyres (the trailer is about 7m long if that helps any )

Cheers

Russ

spears
27-11-2008, 01:00 AM
I have done that myself with a previous boat.
The only thing of course is mudguard clearance

russ81
27-11-2008, 01:07 AM
Sweet as cheers mate

just took a second look i now dont think i will get them under as the boat sits above the guard

spears
27-11-2008, 01:53 AM
The main reason for small wheels on trailers is to try and keep the whole load as low as possible.

You can raise the rollers.
But then modification is required to the Mguard.
Doing any of this will raise the boat which can change the retrieving of the boat.
Using low profile tyres can become another problem.

The bottom line is anything is possible,how much are you willing to spend for an extra 2”

Noelm
27-11-2008, 10:56 AM
there is various ways to get the clearance to fit bigger wheels, some good, some not great, one can be locating the axle below the springs (if it is not already there), getting springs with a different "set" replacing gaurds, remember you are only getting 1" difference, but 2 overall, the biggest killer will be the Tyre size, most off roaders are very high profile, so you will gain about 4" plus!!

FNQCairns
27-11-2008, 11:16 AM
also wider rims if they are can have a different offset ratio, so you may be placing more angular strain on the bearings compared to standard setups.

The KISS principle holds well on boat trailers, if it matters to you will your insurance be happy with the mod.

cheers fnq

White Pointer
27-11-2008, 08:34 PM
G'day,

Can you tell me what the tow vehicle is and what you are towing, please (how many axles, weight, etc)

Can you also tell me what kind or towbar you have (i.e. bar insert, RHS insert, etc)

Send me a PM if you want.

White Pointer

Roughasguts
27-11-2008, 08:59 PM
Just get light truck tyres on your 15 inch rims, those tyres can hold 65 psi no problem and last forever. Well until they get hard and crack.

russ81
27-11-2008, 09:49 PM
the reason behing the mod is i am moving to the territory and would like a bit of extra clearance and wheels that are more suitable for towing offroad

Roughasguts
27-11-2008, 10:01 PM
Exactly light truck tyres have a more solid side wall than your standard off road tyre.