PDA

View Full Version : Boating around whitsundays

miemie
26-11-2008, 11:46 PM
Hi all,

Not sure if I'm posting this at the correct section

My partner and I are newbies in boating. Just got a 4m open tinnie. We were wondering how dangerous it would be to cruise around whitsunday islands on that. I've heard people going around the islands in tiny inflatable boats and kayaks but I'm not too convinced.

We wanted to spend christmas around gladstone region but can't think of much to do there for 10 days so thought of driving up to whitsundays. If we can't get our boat out to whitsundays we prob wouldn't bother going there.

Any advice?

Thanks!

Miemie

Chimo
27-11-2008, 08:05 AM
After sailing around there for a short while in a 43 Perry cat and seeing the currents, tides, weather changes etc I really would think long and hard about using a 4 m up there for anything more than than short runs or as a tender.

Maybe I'm overly cautious but I dont think surprises and boating mix well.

There would have to be lots of safer more sheltered areas to get some experience and enjoyment without the potential dramas not to mention the stingers in the water. Thought about somewhere for eg like the Gold Coast, cheaper accomodation and plenty of boating options on rivers, broadwater and even outside in the right conditions?

Cheers
Chimo

Noelm
27-11-2008, 08:52 AM
the Whitsundays does indeed have some current and wind problems, but it also has some great Boating spots that are accesible to the small Boat owner, some of the Islands are quite close to shore, have a good look at a chart of the area and see where you reckon you could easily get to and back in average conditions, some Islands allow camping after a permit is obtained, so a quick trip over, a couple of days fishing and general exploring, and then back again!

miemie
27-11-2008, 09:12 AM
Thanks for the quick reply and advice!

I had planned to go to Daydream island or south moelle island but I guess that's a little too far for my small boat and I had the same doubts as Chimo. I was on a tour from whitehaven beach back to shute harbour and it was rough!!!

Hey Noelm, any experience so far to boating spots nearby? I was looking at some kayaking spots done by tours like repair island, tancred island and shute island (see picture). Anyone has knows anything about the water conditions in these area?

Thanks again!

Miemie

trev1
27-11-2008, 07:02 PM
I done most of my earlier boating in the Whitsundays in an old 12 foot alf stessl tinny. In the right hands and in the right conditions , you can go anywhere in the Whitsundays in a small boat. Apart from the islands, there are lots of places to go to on the mainland as well (using your boat). Mostly it comes down to what you want to do and how the weather is when you get here.

Flex
28-11-2008, 06:02 PM
Out to the mole islands you will be fine, but going out across the passage could get hairy if you didn;t pick your conditions

I do it often in my 4.5m boat no probs. but a 4m could be a tad scarier in 15-20knot winds.

One thing I have noticed is when the tide is with the wind its pretty good boating up there. As soon as the wind goes against the tide waves stand up really fast. and whitsundays has lots of eddy currents which can make waves stand up,specially around the entrance to shute harbor.
Whitsundays can be notorious for very steep choppy waves. but that only in bad conditions.

If you get decent weather you would have no probs gettings acorss the channel. My brother did it lots in his 4m 15hp boat on good days.

And if you do go across one day and its to hariy to get back you can easily stay overnight at one of the outer Islands.

MyEscape
29-11-2008, 05:28 AM
A few years ago my wife and I had a Stacer bowrider 4.75m with a 60hp Yamaha. Thought it woud be nice for aa trip around some of the islands and was quite surprised at the going across the passgae.

To say it was rough is an understatement. Onthe day it was bordering on dangerous and had put my wife off boating for some time.

But in the right conditions I'm sure it would be fine.

If you're from Gladstone it's a fair drive in the hope that the weather is going to be flat.

Steve

Shanoss
29-11-2008, 06:24 AM
Pretty sure that Repair and Tancred are fairly inhospitable. Nothing but rocks, trees and mud from memory. South molle and Daydream, dunno if you are going to be able to camp there as they are both privately owned. If the weather is good you'll be able to go anywhere like most people have suggested, but if it turns nasty, you will have gone a long way for nothing. Whistsundays are probably not the place for inexperienced boatys in a small boat when the weather is playing up.

Chimo
29-11-2008, 06:50 AM
Hi Miemie

Well this thread has prety much seen it all now.

From you'll be right to the other extreme, ie make sure your will is up to date!

I also enjoyed beautiful weather there with light breezes etc but I can certainly relate to Shanoss as I was also there when it turned nasty ie in around the islands on a 43fter and later en route to the GC from Airley Beach on a 43fter. On that trip we ended up at anchor for 3 days in Refuge Bay off Mackay and I wouldn't have wanted to be be out in it in a small open craft 4 or 5 m long either in amonst the islands with wind against current or on any of the open stretches. Not that I wouldn't have survived but why do it if you don't have to?

Steve also hits another goal with the comment "had put my wife off boating for some time" but in my own case she is still "almost totally not interested any more".

Enjoy your boating by why in heavens name do you want to stuff up good times and happy memories by replacing them with terror and associated unpleasant and unnecessary angst?

If you want to enjoy the Whitsundays hire a larger boat out of one of the many charter fleets and you get space, comfort and importantly, backup while you get to know the area.

Happy, happy boating...........

Cheers
Chimo

miemie
29-11-2008, 08:31 AM
Hi guys

Thanks for all the advice. I believe I'm just being too ambitious XD I just came back from Yamba last two weekends, and going boating with the wind against the current is awful lol

I've decided to head up to Gladstone from Brisbane for 8 days over Christmas hoping to do some Bass/Barra trail fishing and some estuary outside Gladstone, which is probably the much better option than Whitsundays for my boat :)

I hope I could one day go Whitsunday in a bigger boat... buy a bigger boat or hire

Thanks again!

Miemie

Flex
29-11-2008, 09:23 AM
You can still enjoy the whitsundays in your boat. Just dont go across the passage if you dont feel safe.

if you get 5-10knot winds forecast you can easily spend a day over at Long Island, north or south mole. the fishing over there isn't sensational, but you do catch lots of smallish stuff often, I often troll up the inside of the mole islands and then bottom bash the NW corner of North mole, then chuck plastics at the drop offs.
Also take a light spin out fit with 15-20g slugs and you will have a ball on the mack-tuna that frequent the place often.

You would have a great time, but the thing is make sure of your forecast.
Thing with Whitsundays is, when you get good weather its great but it turns a bit nastier than most places in bad weather.

Bundy Boy
29-11-2008, 10:44 PM
During the September school holidays I took the missus out to Whitehaven Beach from Shute Habour. We have a 4.35m tinnie with a 40hp pushing her along. We really wanted to go and have a look at Whitehaven but not at the expense of our safety. The weather forecast was not so hot 10 - 15kts from the SE, but we were on the water before the sun rose and made it out and back by 9am. Not at anystage did we think that the boat would not handle the conditions. The only eye opener was about 5 minutes from Shute Harbour on our way home we surfed down the face of 3 waves.

I am sure other people can relay stories of horrid conditions. I am sure the weather can cause big problems, but if you are confident in your boat and the weather conditions are favourable then you should be able to reach the inner islands and possibly further.

BB

whiteman
01-12-2008, 11:31 AM
Conditions change really fast and can be downright dangerous to the inexperienced - particularly with a small boat. The worst conditions I have ever been in were in the channel between Daydream and Shute and it was a great day (wind vs tide was the problem).

Stubbie Holder
01-12-2008, 05:29 PM
If you want to spend time fishing in Gladstone you have the Boyne River, Calliope River, the harbour including Nth Entrance reefs with a couple of accessible wrecks offshore in good conditions and Turkey Beach is only a short drive, then there is Awooonga Dam as well. If you call into Clinton Park News any morning I will be happy to give you some spots to try that will suit your boat.

Stubby!

Az
02-12-2008, 10:55 AM
some of the best fishing in the whitsundays is in shute harbour itself, you could certainly still fish up there in the harbour and pop you head out and around weather pending. You also have the option of heading to peter faust dam should the conditions turn ugly

Dee Jay
02-12-2008, 11:38 AM
Anyone considering haveing a look at the Whitsundays should have a look a 100 magic mile of the Whitsundays www.100magicmiles.com (http://www.100magicmiles.com/index.php/shop.html). It should answer most of the questions and having grown up baoting and fishing in the Whitsundays for 20 years I would not head out without it.

miemie
04-12-2008, 11:11 AM
Wow thanks!

Really appreciate all the advice given here :) Will keep them in mind when I go up to Gladstone, and if I go up to Whitsundays (hopefully in the future).

Miemie