PDA

View Full Version : Tilapia Diet?

snagking
26-11-2008, 06:04 PM
Hi guys.
Just down the street from me is a sort of storm water lake that has plenty of what I think is tilapia (water is fresh) in it, and some look fairly big.
I have never fished for any freshwater fish before, so i am looking for what tilapia would eat. Does anyone have any suggestions as i'd like to get into a few over the upcoming school holidays :D

Also, should I not chuck em back in because they are a pest?

Cheers,
snagking

rhycebullimore
26-11-2008, 06:47 PM
do what ever you wish with them provided they end up in your bin or a hole in the ground even dead fish can still release their young if you put them back into the water. just bred will do fine for them.

snagking
26-11-2008, 06:49 PM
Ok, thanks for that :D I'll make sure they end up in a bin.
Should I use a float?
And is bread the best bait, would they eat anything else, because there is heaps of turtles in their and i'd rather not catch that many turtles. :(

rhycebullimore
26-11-2008, 06:53 PM
if you want use a float just try differnt things but bread has worked before

Jeremy87
26-11-2008, 09:07 PM
when i was i kid i used to fish for them using the old worm under a float, but bread, doe, prawn, guppies all work for them. Now days i fish for them using tiny weightless softies for a bit of fun.

snagking
26-11-2008, 09:29 PM
Will they really take tiny softies?
Would like a little 1" grub thingo work?

snagking
27-11-2008, 03:59 PM
Well i went down there today with a hand line and some bread under a float, and i barely got a touch :( any more suggestions?

Does anyone know if they are a surface fish or a bottom fish?

FNQCairns
27-11-2008, 04:19 PM
Some squid, long shanked hook, piece of scrounged stick (I use pieces that have a kind fibre inside, mainly from small bush like plants) with a knife slit centre of one end as the float and a good amount say 2/3 - 1m of drop if the depth suits and they are a bit wary.

They will eat anything just like most fish and just like most fish they will prefer what they are used to, earthworms worms are always good. Purchase an invertebrate net or make one and drag the shallow edges for larva etc

A thin old T shirt or the like, hoop of wire, cut down broom handle and a bucket will see you soon recognising what's around to use as a gun unweighted or lightly weighted bait.

cheers fnq

snagking
27-11-2008, 05:41 PM
Another thing :D
Has anyone ever seen people fishing a rock quarry lakes? I have a massive one near my house and was just wondering....

oldboot
27-11-2008, 06:49 PM
Acording to the books they like corn kernels and maggots too.

aparantly they grow good roses........two decent sized fish in the bottom of the hole when planting.

cheers

snagking
28-11-2008, 03:46 PM
Went down to the rock quarry lake today. it was very blue...
Would any fish live in there?

oldboot
28-11-2008, 06:34 PM
They would if they coud get in there and there was something to eat........in short if there is a creek running into it... maybe

but unless it has been stocked probaly not.

cheers

snagking
30-11-2008, 07:47 PM
Would it be worth throwing some beetles into the lake for the tilapia?

Jeremy87
30-11-2008, 09:41 PM
Yeh mate little 1 or 2 inch plastics work but not as well as earthworms. Tilapia are mouth brooders so if the are breeding they won't be eating anything.

snagking
01-12-2008, 03:27 PM
Do you mean tiny bream lures?
I have a couple of them sittin around...

BrandonH
01-12-2008, 03:50 PM
snagking,

Mate most little hard body lures and plastics will catch them on the right day. but as others have said the good old earth worm works wonders;) I have sat on the bank of the north pine dam as a young kid and caught 20+ Tilapia with my dad using worms!! size 1 hook, small round sinker. I have caught them using Bread also but you need a small hook and float to suit, it doesnt take much to pull bread from a hook.

Cheers
Brandon...

snagking
01-12-2008, 06:38 PM
another question ;)
I just found these berkley "trout pellets" rainbow pellet thingo's, should i chuck one of these out?

BrandonH
01-12-2008, 11:32 PM
Never tried it but worth a shot I guess!! GL