PDA

View Full Version : The CAT is getting fatter

gavsgonefishing
26-11-2008, 07:22 AM
I thought I would post a few pics of a couple of minor glass mods on the cat because I have had such a reaction with people who have seen the work in progress. Lots of laughing, shaking of heads and the big f words comes to mind.

Here is a couple of pics of the boat before I got to it.

gavsgonefishing
26-11-2008, 08:07 AM
It looks different because it is, it was a 4.3 markham with 40 2st many years ago, since it was extended by 600 plus the pods giving over a metre of extra room inside, added a couple of 50 4st, then took to the water. It was flogged and stripped, so when recovered as a hull it was time for a couple more mods including icreasing the hulls 300mm down and copying the sharkcat shape. After that I through a couple of 100 4 st on it which give it some bouyancy probs.

I lost interest and lacked time so I got a guy to help with the widening of the hulls with a couple of other mods. It was all certified and off I go!

Because there is a 200mm difference between the front of the tunnel and the back of the tunnel inherited from the original design (about the only thing left that was original) there was undue water pressure on the sides of the inside of the pontoons. This and the sharp angle of where the pontoons and the centre of the tunnel joins caused a few stressing probs. I could live with it, but it wasnt right, and would eventually cause dramas, especially the way I drive it.

Heres a pic of the inside of the hull

gavsgonefishing
26-11-2008, 08:23 AM
So after being given a 9 in grinder in one hand several beers in the other, mixed with a little time and a dash of stupid ideas I set about fixing the problem.

The idea at first was to round out where the tunnel joins the pontoons and split the boat from the back to about 3/4 the way down, then use undue pressure to widen the boat, then see what happens from there. 2

A fair bit of measuring and predicting went into this, so I ripped the top off, then the gunnels.

The hardest thing was pulling the floor up again. I ended up having to cut it up into small peices and using a crow bar helped a little.

I ended up making to incisions up either side of the tunnel. With the undue pressure I could only widen it 105mm, I wanted 200mm at the back.

Different day, couple more beers, theres only one way to do this. Cut it through the guts. Done.

I have now widened the back 220mm ( the max the trailer will let me) and have the tunnel 660mm all the way through. I purchased some 150mm water pipe to be used as a mould for the round shape at the top of the pontoons. (pics next time) I have now put in a 220mm piece in the widened transom. It took a little bit to line the two hulls up again.

Crocodile
26-11-2008, 08:56 AM
I have to admire someone who has got the guts to follow their own ideas.
Please keep us informed.

Crocodile
26-11-2008, 08:56 AM
I have to admire someone who has got the guts to follow their own ideas.
Please keep us informed.

bugman
26-11-2008, 09:01 AM
Gav,

Give up tiling mate - start boating building for a living.

Just when the season was getting under way as well:-/

Brett

MarkDiver
26-11-2008, 12:56 PM
:o f f f F F...arout!
What a huge undertaking and expense!! All things considered, I can't see this being worth the time, effort, expense, wasted fishing time, family time, ...but whatever turns you on :P At least the beers were cold by the sounds of it ;)

THERE'S A FINE LINE BETWEEN FISHING AND STANDING AROUND LIKE AN IDIOT!

pilchardjones
26-11-2008, 01:00 PM
that is one seriously modified cat. looks good though. good luck.
we are keen to see how it ends up, and how it goes.
steve

Dirtysanchez
26-11-2008, 02:48 PM
I'd have just gone and traded it in on a bigger boat, but anyways, you are a gamer man than me.

finding_time
26-11-2008, 03:25 PM
Gav

You ningnong the fish have turned up finally after 2 years and slack attack is in 2 pieces, my money is on Joey killing his old man!!!;D ;D ;D When your finished i'll ask you about those bigger tanks for the kc!;)

Ian

Ps. If ya need a fishing fix pm me !8-)

jeffo
26-11-2008, 08:52 PM
your a freak gav!! how one person can enjoy fibre glass itch so much is beyond me...as i said today- your a sick man!

gavsgonefishing
27-11-2008, 05:29 AM
Ian, I would like to take you up on that offer, are you doing heavy tackle yet? I promise not to bring the grinder.

I have a few lures that have been tested but not used in anger as yet, either light or heavy.

Dirtysanchez, buying another boat means I admit that it was all a waste of time, I'm still in denial phase.

Markdiver, everyone has their hobbies all with a degree of cost, time and skill. My hobby only has the first two things to contend with. ;D

Gav

Horse
27-11-2008, 06:40 AM
Gav, you are a brave man. I have seen fishos stressed out having to screw a fitting to their pristine hulls:P . At least you can say you did it your way;D

Blackened
27-11-2008, 06:43 AM
G'day

How have the flat hulls acted after all of this? Good idea or not? Has it been wet yet to try it properly?

Dave

Big_Ren
27-11-2008, 09:07 AM
Gav

I thought you had moved, but obviously not. You have turned into a human wrecking ball. The Deen bros would be mighty proud;D

I'm glad you only taught me how to make wind-ons, far less time-consuming;)

Must catch up for a cold one at some stage.

Cheers
Paul

rando
27-11-2008, 04:21 PM
Dont listen to 'em Gav, Keep going,
This reminds me of " The Worlds fastest Indian" & I cant wait to see where you end up with it.
Good luck, I hope it all works the way you imagine it.
How did it go with the flat bottom all the way forward. does that work as you thought???
rando

Dean1
27-11-2008, 06:01 PM
Hey Gav I spoke to you about a month ago on the phone and you said one day down the track you 'may' widen the rear a little. Man you move fast!!!! Good luck with it mate. Cheers.

gavsgonefishing
28-11-2008, 06:30 AM
The bottom of the hull is really interesting, ended up shaping the nose back for about half a metre into a more traditional v instead of the flat bottom,with the strakes (ifs thats what they are called) on either side at the bottom of the hull. It was done more for tidying the appearance up than for performance.

I have given both configs a hell of a testing in the NE Mool chop to the 20 knot NW stuff. The boat is amazingly dry and you can sit down most of the time. I have tried to make it misbehave just so I know its limits, but soon as you try and dip one of the pontoons down it just wont bury itself. I only got wet once running down the face of a wave on an angle then giving it a bit of throttle, but the hull went in and popped out as fast, scared me for a sec. It just loves the following sea with 15-20 up your bum at 22knots. And seems to be happyest between 22 and 24 knots.

It was interesting that the wave breaker or whatever it is called in the cetre between the hulls took a real bashing and the foam inside the glass was separated and crushed to pulp. I am now rethinking about the foam or at least strengthen the glass a little more and put glass support in there. I will end up extending the length down the hull further a little like the older 6.2 KC.

Part of the certification for the motors was to have enough room between the top of the bracket wher the motor bolts on and the top of the pod. In my no experience opinion you need just enough for the motor to clear when tilted up. They wanted about 200mm. They wanted this distance and would not negotiate. What it has done is given the motor leverage and started to give stress fractures. I'll take some pics and show what I think should work, and what has happened.

As with all the smaller boats going into a swell, it really depends on how short and sharp it is and usually runs at around 15knots.

On those better days, well 28 to 29 is OK, with a WOT of around 37-38 in the ocean and 40 on the river. After these mods I EXPECT better.

It doesnt need the strakes down the outside of the hull, and maybe they are more for athesthetic reasons on the NC and KC?

Anyhow I got no idea about the design of things, so I am better off cutting things up;D

preso
29-11-2008, 08:48 AM
Mate, I might ave some work for you. Ive got a 14ft colman................., what do you reckon you could do with it ;D .
Cheers John.

gavsgonefishing
30-11-2008, 06:15 PM
Hey Preso,

The only colman I know is an esky, I suppose we can throw a motor on the back of it and see if it goes, i have a couple of 100s at the moment that arnt doing much. We may need a little ballast, so you fill it up with ice and beer, and Im sure something will give.

Paul, We have moved that many times this year its just not funny any more, so we ended up back on the coast hopefully for good, not far from where we were a year ago, dont ask, way to hard. Are you still where you were when we caught up?

gavsgonefishing
30-11-2008, 06:40 PM
Had a BIG day on Sat, ended up cutting all the previous work out that was outsourced, see the pics.

Does anyone really know why the foam is loaded into the boats, apart from floatation. As I see, it its hard to remove, makes a mess of everything and retains water. To me it seems a cheaper option than glassing and providing proper structure. I am really interested in the opinions, as at this stage, if there is not a good reason, it wont be going back in.

This pic is only part of the stuff that come out. Will post the rest of the work later

Oh I get off on that itch!

Gav

gavsgonefishing
30-11-2008, 11:22 PM
Pulled the glass off the 150mm pipe, waxed and relayed another 5 metres of the soon to be tunnel.

I screwed the rounded sheet onto the existing hull then tile for a look and measure . Time to cut off all the inside pontoons as they were a little weak IMO. More foam to remove, and after a little bit of sanding, cutting, trimming and measuring etc layed up an extra couple of 600gr plus stiffener and another 600 gr. onto the existing pontoon walls I added in half a 50 mm pipe longitudily which was glassed in. This takes a heap of time. I will take photos of the new glassed up product. Once completed they will be attached back on the boat and glassed in.

The other pontoon has been cut out, sanded and prepped etc.I havestill got a heap more sanding, lucky me.

The more I get into this the more I realise how big this job is.

I have an idea for the front now, which will happen this week after I lay up a sheet of glass to be used for the rest of the floor between the pontoons and also the shaping of the front. Photos will come eventually.

Anyhow some photos to follow.

If there is an easier way apart from spending less money for a brand new bigger boat please enlighten me.

The best news is now the transom is one piece again, not glassed but at least one piece

Gav

gavsgonefishing
30-11-2008, 11:24 PM
mmm photos didnt work the first time

cormorant
01-12-2008, 08:34 AM
Keep the photos coming I think it is brilliant that you are prepared to keep cutting and shutting it. When you get it better than anything else on the market take a plug and make a few as not alot os research goes into the commercial brands a sit isall about marketing and it looking like last years model.

Cheers

C

If I can offer one hint - Put a garbo bag over those motors as they hate FG dust

Big_Ren
01-12-2008, 12:07 PM
Paul, We have moved that many times this year its just not funny any more, so we ended up back on the coast hopefully for good, not far from where we were a year ago, dont ask, way to hard. Are you still where you were when we caught up?

Still there Gav, although we will either be renovating big time or moving in the new year...all comes down to $$.

Cheers
Paul

gavsgonefishing
03-12-2008, 06:01 PM
Have got stuck into the sanding and cutting as well as a little glass work.

A couple of pics of the sanding and cutting. How to finish the inside up to the nose had me buggered, but an idea is slowly forming.

I am concentrating on getting the tunnel from the back to where it starts to come up towards the front completed, then installed back into the boat.

I would really like to to see the tunnel of a KC or a SC so I can take some measurements for the inside strakes etc.

Thanks C for the idea of covering the donks up, to be honest I never thought about it.

Does anyone know the reasons why the polystryrene is pumped into the hulls of boats, I have heard quietness and flotation, it would be nice to know.

gavsgonefishing
03-12-2008, 06:10 PM
I have almost finished stiffening the inside walls of the tunnel. This includes the roundy bits ( very technical I know). The two walls are totally diverent now, stiff as, and quite heavy in comparision to when I ripped then out.

I have glassed in a pvc pipe in the middle to give it added strength.

Once both sides were glassed up then some braces were put in to make sure there is minimal warping and the distance between the walls stay the same.

The top or the floor of the tunnel has been made up as a sheet and will be glassed on next time. The whole thing will then be flipped on its back, cleaned up and glassed from the outside. It will then be ready to be placed back in the boat

cormorant
03-12-2008, 08:08 PM
Foam is for floatation. Many builders are using the wrong cheaper types and they get waterlogged and affected by fuel quite quickly.

There is another topic on floatation going on at the minute and there is a good reference to micro len ( microlene foam blocks) .Most pour in situ foams give a poor result unless under extremely controlled environment so using block foam is a much better idea at time of construction and allowing service ports so it can be serviced and so can the hull if required.

http://www.ausfish.com.au/vforum/showthread.php?t=142108

There was another thread 12 months ago that also detailed how much was required and survey details.

Mate you can never have enough floatation and yeah it does cut the noise a little.

In regards to the motors use compressed air to dust them off and remove cowl and do the same . Then just check the airbox to make sure nothing has got in. Probably hasn't if you haven't kicked the motor over.

never noticed the big running strake on the inside of the hulls before. Reminds me of the south african hybusa cat ( spelling) which actually runs a front and rear foil in he tunnel for extra lift.

blaze
03-12-2008, 08:09 PM
Bloody heck Gav.
You will get to enjoy your blood sweat5 and tears one day.
Some of the older foam put in hulls retained water (5 boats down here had to have floors taken up after the wrong foam was specified for survey). The close cell foam they are using now comes in blocks/sheets and are shaped to fit unlike the 2 part pour in foam.
cheers
blaze

caloundra
04-12-2008, 11:22 AM
G'day Gav
WOW what a monster modification you have taken on
I wish I had big enough nut's to take a project like that on
well done and keep those pics comimg

Daniel

PS maybe its time for another M&G up at the kawana waters hotel :-)

Blackened
04-12-2008, 02:11 PM
Reminds me of the south african hybusa cat ( spelling) which actually runs a front and rear foil in he tunnel for extra lift.

G'day

My old boss fitted this style of foil to his pair of noosa cats, they're both 44'. I think they're an awesome idea, and made an incredible boat sensational

Dave

gavsgonefishing
05-12-2008, 06:50 AM
I havent heard of the Hybusa cat, night tryt and find some pics. The main reason for the addon bits(which are soon to be very permanent) was tol give extra bouyancy for the donks, the bonus seems to be the stabilisation.

Blaze I seem to remember you having to pull down your project after it was put back in service, at that time I was shaking my head ;D .

Daniel, anytime for a beer is a giood time will have to be in early feb now, got a boat to finish. If you want to have a look at it and a beer, that may be able to be arranged

Done a fair bit this week, pics to come prob Sun

Gav

Chimo
05-12-2008, 08:39 AM
Hi Gav

had a quick look and found this

http://www.apolloduck.com/feature.phtml?id=88464

X in Nth Qld used to do the hy........... foil on his Al cats years ago but I think stopped doing it some time ago. Peter Webster was going to get his next boat from him, had the design in the mag ages ago, but went with Qunitrex? instead due to time to build.

Cheers
Chimo

PS and this http://www.apolloduck.com/image.phtml?id=91720&ximage=21144

but wait theres more http://www.hysucraft.com/Default.aspx

While you have it in bits will these bits let you still use the trailer? http://www.hysucraft.com/Principles.aspx

caloundra
05-12-2008, 08:41 AM
Daniel, anytime for a beer is a giood time will have to be in early feb now, got a boat to finish. If you want to have a look at it and a beer, that may be able to be arranged

sounds good love to have a look

gavsgonefishing
06-12-2008, 05:48 AM
Chimo thanks for the pics, the shape from the front reminded me of the aluminium cat sailfish, yet the back pics design look a little like the original shape of the Markham except sharper.

What a wild idea to throw a hydrofoil in the equation. Its amazing the diversity of the designs of these cats.

gavsgonefishing
06-12-2008, 05:41 PM
A few more progress pics. I did a fair few hours this week probably to the detrement to the business. A heap more sanding etc etc. Iwanted to get the centre hull back into the boat today but unfortunately run into a minor hitch with the hardener (or the lack of it) I hope to get down for an hour tomorrow to see if the resin has gone off properly, or I have to strip the last lot of glassing back. I will be draaaaaagging the son down in the morning to see if we can lift it into the boat.

gavsgonefishing
06-12-2008, 05:44 PM
Cut and glassed the lid on. Filled all the joints swith qcell/ talc before the glass went on

gavsgonefishing
06-12-2008, 05:50 PM
Next it was flipped over and the centre piece( which I cast up over 5omm PVC pipe) was hot glued in hopefully the right position before glassing commenced. The joints were filled with the qcell/talc mixture , and everytrhing sanded .

The last pic was all glassed up. Just this part was 5.5 hours work,

This is when I was still blissfully happy. I walked in this morning and the job still hadnot gone off. We shall see tomorrow how major the mistake was.

In the mean time I have designed and started to glass the front inside strakes ( is that the proper name).

Mor photos later

wadeo
07-12-2008, 07:40 PM
Gday Gav saw you at the ramp not long ago and had a chat. Ya cat looked like it rode good when we saw you on the way in. Looked sweet too cant beleive its the same boat in the photo's. Cant wait to see her finished again keep up the good work.

regards wadeo

cormorant
09-12-2008, 11:30 AM
Couple of other photo links of the wings. There are several in Aust and I have seen a few in the UK and was amazed at the lower speed planing they achieved still loaded.

http://www.hysucraft.com/ProjectDetail/Stealth540.aspx?Path=STEALTH540Q-SpdandAftFoil.jpg

http://www.hysucraft.com/ProjectDetail/Stealth540.aspx?Path=STEALTH540Hydrofoililluminate d.jpg

Still scares me a little with the wing if it were to collect a solid object so I would have to design it as a breakaway not integral to the hull.

Until I read the article I didn't know they had been around for so long as first ones I saw would have been RIBs 10 years ago.

Much better tahn wings mounted on a outboard especially in a following see I would think?

corm

PS link to the old site and reference to Cairns custom Craft
http://fastcc.hysucraft.com/Default.asp?Page=PhotoGallery

And another user of the technology local to teh Gold Coast

http://www.powercat.com.au/about.htm

Blackened
09-12-2008, 05:08 PM
PS link to the old site and reference to Cairns custom Craft
http://fastcc.hysucraft.com/Default.asp?Page=PhotoGallery

G'day

Thanks for the link, there's my old workplace, Reel Easys' "So Reelaxing", 11 down from the top

Dave

gavsgonefishing
24-12-2008, 05:39 AM
Its been a struggle to get anything done on the boat with work and family stuff. Its frustrating to say the least.......

I had to find the boat a new home for the rest of the fit out so after some negotiation and some modification it ended up in the back yard. Its a bit squashy and not as comfortable but it will do the job. Put a tarp over the top and shade cloth around the sides.
Had a visit from the council after the second day of playing, some more measures were employed so the whole area is tarped up to try and stop the glass dust going everywhere. It seems all partys are happy at the moment.

Some pics of the area

gavsgonefishing
24-12-2008, 06:21 AM
I ended up having to cut the supports for the tunnel off and glass them into the boat before the tunnel went back in. This is a pic before they are cleaned up.

The tunnel was most troublesome (as they are) to fit in. Because the boat was cut in half , widened more at the back than the front, and rejoined, the centre of the boat had changed, not by much but enough. The tunnel is bloody heavy, and had to be taken in and out several times before I got it right.. I ended up finding the centre at the transom, finding the centre at the front and chalklining it.

The next trick was to get the tunnel clearance from the bottom of the boat (or in this case the trailer chassis to the top of the tunnel the same from the front to the back.

Anyhow all the work is now within 5mm tolerances.

This is such a big job and the fish are on and sometimes I just wonder why?

The last pic is the tunnel in but not glassed. all sorts of bits are holding the thing in place.

wadeo
26-12-2008, 10:43 AM
Looks like its coming along well Gav keep up the good work.

regards Wadeo

gavsgonefishing
18-01-2009, 04:29 PM
Been on holidays for a couple of weeks so I am pretty happy to get back into it before the work thing happens.

I have to pop a motor off so I can repair the pod that a young bloke on a forklift with too much testosterone and not enough brain power decided to test the limits of his backing ability ( and my patience). Fortunately I got the boat home before this happened, I loosened the g clamps off and good, a little more repair and glassing practice.

gavsgonefishing
18-01-2009, 04:34 PM
This is a couple of days work, a lot of sanding and mucking around. Its bloody hot in the tent with a fibreglass suit on!! The centre has been glassed in with fibreglass ribs, a couple more 600 chop and a 600 triaxial.

Next trick is to fix the pod and the back up.

Hell Boy
18-07-2009, 10:23 PM
interesting read, A lot of work involved!!!!! Is the Cat almost completed?

Cheers,

Bryn

cormorant
19-07-2009, 02:57 PM
Not sure how hard or what angle the fork driver hit the motor on but I don't like the way it tore where it did. Assume the hit was from behind low on the motor pretty hard ? bad place to have a shear and stress point where it has broken away so does that whole section of the pod need to be stronger with bigger gussets to cop the pouding it will get??

Tough part over again so hope it goes back together smooth from here on in. I wan't to see the video of how it sits and planes through chop and a few performance figgures. A run with astandard cat with same motors would be very interesting.

gavsgonefishing
29-07-2009, 06:11 AM
I'll get some pics together, I reckon it should be finished by the end of Sept if all is going well.

I ended up redoing the pods completely, as with all the previous glasswork from work outsourced. It now has a new cab put on appoxiately 300mm higher, a heap of structural work completed. Tanks have been moved forward to give a little more balance, added another 200mm onto the front for cosmetic and for the anchor well.

The floor is back in as are the esky seats, its sporting a new bulkhead and dash which incorporates the electronics. The outside of the baot has been rubbed back and there has been a fair bit of work on the entry points on the hulls. The bow breaker or whatever it is called is new and I reckon the best part of the boat. The gunnels are all but glassed on, the live bait tank has been remade but not fitted.

In short it looks like a boat again and will be speanding a lot of time on the fairing etc to make it look the part. A new hardtop which is a little prettier is in the pipeline.....

Greg P
29-07-2009, 01:45 PM
Sounds good Gav - look forward to the pics.

gavsgonefishing
07-08-2009, 08:20 PM
A couple of photos to follow. The first is the mods to the front end and the cab. the major part of the mods is that the cabin has been made 300mm higher, 200mm more forward and the walk through has been eliminated. The front still has to be prettied up a bit, but you should get the idea

gavsgonefishing
07-08-2009, 08:23 PM
now with the photos

gavsgonefishing
07-08-2009, 08:29 PM
Next is a side view. The outside of the boat is ready to start the fairing process. The back of the boat shows the new pods.

gavsgonefishing
07-08-2009, 08:40 PM
The last couple are the new dash and floor set up as well as the back end.

All the instruments fit into the dash now inc the radios etc. the new hardtop will not house anything.

I still have to add the batt box, the bits for gaff and tag poles and a couple of other small things. The glassing is almost complete, almost ready for more sanding, yippee. As with the previous config, there are 2 kill tanks that can be eskies and are floodable as well as two eskies under the seats for food etc. The live bait tank is on the left hand side and is now oval. The other two compatments will hold the used lures and the lead as well as knives etc

gavsgonefishing
07-08-2009, 08:45 PM
Oh and another thing, end of Sept I am dreaming............

Smithy
08-08-2009, 04:42 PM
No fish yet Gav! That is the positive side! Looking good!

Preso is the 30th of this month. Look forward to having a beer or three with you again.

trueblue
08-08-2009, 09:31 PM
how did you go about making your seat boxes?

jeffo
09-08-2009, 07:08 AM
Gav, as i havce told you many times before....You are a VERY sick man!!

gavsgonefishing
11-08-2009, 06:17 AM
trueblue,

not sure how much detail you require,
I had a couple of 25mm sheet of the high density foam and layed each side up with 2 x 450 gsm chop which was sanded back before cutting out the box shapes. I made one as two boxes (the top and the esky) then glassed them together at the end.

I used hot glue to hold the peices in position and then used qcell mix to make the joins more round on the inside. After the qcell was rubbed back to a smooth finish I applied two layers of chop on all the inside joints (about 75mm and 130 mm respectively). This was all sanded back.

The outside corners were filed back to the shape required befor 2 more layers of chop was applied. At this stage I cut the bung hole and shaped the inside so the water runs out before glassing the hole up.

The box was flow coated on the inside (2 coats) and will be painted on the outside with 2 pac hi fill, bogged in areas if required, undercoated then painted. You can just use the 2 coats of flowcoat on the outside and rub it back if thats the finish you require.

The lid will have a seal around the opening and hinged with a seat on top.

Hope this helps.

gavsgonefishing
11-08-2009, 06:19 AM
Thanks Jeff, I take that as a complement, if you have the fibreglass withdrawal symptoms, I am sure I can help.

Smithy, cant make it as I have family commitments (apparently she need to see me once a week!)

gavsgonefishing
16-09-2009, 05:56 PM
After some big hours for over a month doing the trying to get the bloody thing straight and acceptable, I finally got some Hi build on it. Its good to see it the same colour for a while at least.

I now know that it would of been easier to pull a new hull out of a mould rather than this extensive fix up work. Still enjoying it but ( must be sniffing the resin once too often)

I will post some pics when and if I get a final coat on it hopefully late next week

Still on track to have it finished at the end of Oct

rando
16-09-2009, 10:05 PM
Great thread Gav,
Gee you've got some guts getting stuck into it like that.
I especially like your thinking with the cab height carried forward like that.
I cant wait to see some more of your concept as it develops. Thanks again for sharing it with us.
cheers
rando

Aunty Jack
16-09-2009, 10:10 PM
Bloody hell great read good job well done.
There will be no missing your boat on or of the water.
Looking forward to the next chapter.

FNQCairns
16-09-2009, 10:48 PM
Gav your like a mongoose down a hole!, how many pieces of sand sandpaper has this boat seen in the last few years! incredible work and attitude.

Very much looking forward to hearing what it does on the water.

I noticed the speaker hole (I think) on the right hand side panel, what am I looking at? is that solid glass or glass over foam or ply or something?, it's very thick.

cheers fnq

gavsgonefishing
15-11-2009, 02:46 PM
Finally got to the fitout stage. The 2 W's (Wife and Work;D ) have hindered the progress over the last couple of months. I think I have earnt some serious shares in the wet and dry paper industry, as I feel I have supported them through the tough econimical times and pulled them through to make record profits.

I ended up painting it with Jotun 2 pac hibuild, several times, and then put 8 litres of white 2pac final coat to finish it off. The tunnel is done in flow coat, the first time was a nightmare, after spraying the flowcoat I realised how bad a condition it was so it was back with the 80 grit, more repairs then two more coats of flowcoat. At this stage I have not polished up the tunnel and left it with an off the gun finish. Its not too bad and I will take the effort to bring at least the fron bit of the tunnel up.

The bloody body was no better and heaps and heaps of hours when into making it respectable. Some days I spent the whole day rubbing back, then at the end of the day I had actually regressed in progress. It was stuffing with my brains ( or what is left).

The job is by no means perfect, but it is the best I can do.

I really take my hat of to the guys who do his professionally.

gavsgonefishing
15-11-2009, 02:53 PM
Its been fun sorting out the wiring and all the other bits, I am waiting for stainless bloke to fininsh off an upright and then I can fit the rocket launcher and hardtop, I love putting on the shiny and the go fast bits.

gavsgonefishing
15-11-2009, 02:57 PM
Fnq,

I just saw your post, thats a speaker hole. Its 12mm ply thats been hotcoated then its got 2 x 600gsm on either side, yep its thick enough

WalFish
15-11-2009, 04:50 PM
Gav, just found this thread for the first time. Awesome job mate!! Bet you felt like Bozo the clown when you split her in half, but you always had that mental picture of what you wanted in the end.

Awesome looking rig now - can't wait to see her on the water.

bugman
15-11-2009, 06:16 PM
Gav,

There should be an auto reply to when you post on this thread....

You are a bloody madman !!!;D

What was hull originally again... I've forgotten. And what will it be registered under in the future "GavCat Industries"

Brett

gavsgonefishing
15-11-2009, 08:54 PM
Thanks Wal, I actually had a concept in my head a year ago but had no idea what it would look like, I just dealt with the humps as they come along and ended up with this, which I am happy with. I still shake my head when I think about cutting a boat down the guts, what the hell was I thinking??

Brett, I was thinking once this thing is finished posting a couple of pics over the years. I was scared to realise that I started modifying this firstly in 2004.

I am thinking seriously of changing the name of the boat from slack attack to something that doesnt inspire me to cut the thing up every year!!!

gavsgonefishing
29-11-2009, 06:51 PM
This boat seems to be fighting me all the way, but I will win. We had a minor hitch trying to drop the boat off the 200ltr drums, problem now fixed.

The hardtop was bolted on but I was not real happy with the flexing thing, so it was taken off, more stiffening with foam and glass etc, hopefully I wil have it ready by the end of the week.

Its on the trailer now, I have sourced out the windscreen and will be fitted on thurs this week, the motors will be serviced and fitted on Monday next week.

I am allowed another leave pass this week after work for 3-4 nights (dont you love them) to finish the wiring and other crap.

Test run may be as early as tues next week, stuff work.

The trailer will be modified in a couple of weeks.

I am definately changing the name of the boat, its got to do with game fishing, so far I have thought of these names:

Games up
Feelin Game
Gamester (not original, about 15 years ago)
Final shot

My wife thought I should be more original, and move away from game or reel or whatever.

After a lot of arty fartsy thought it came to me, Bustin Hymen. Brilliant, its artsy, original, an CANNED...........

death_ship
29-11-2009, 07:10 PM
how about "9 lives"

bakes
29-11-2009, 07:48 PM
So are we finally going to see it at the classic next yr gav? Hows joey goin? havent spoken to him for ages. Boat looks awsome cant believe u have gone to that extreme and spent so much time with that itchy crap.

Lovey80
30-11-2009, 08:36 AM
That is perfect for a cat that has died and revived about that many times! Well done

how about "9 lives"

Dantren
30-11-2009, 08:55 AM
The Game.....

Sandman
30-11-2009, 09:14 AM
Gav,
How about calling Fat bastard.

cormorant
30-11-2009, 12:04 PM
Paint it orange and call it Garfield.

I'm sure the brown stripes / skid marks will come from the passengers

I really want to see video of it running in a small chop , hammering in some waves and a on water report as I hope all the work you have put in delivers a good result.

The big brand cats resist changes to their moulds because of expense and fear of devaluing the brand/ old hulls even when they know there could be some better things incorporated.

It is such a tall and wide load now maybe it should just be called "oversize"

Since it is no longer a pure bred pussy maybe "moggy" or "mongrel" "Bitsa" "hybrid" perhaps Brazillian if the wife approves !

"slippery when wet"

If it is anything like boat naming in our household I don't even get a choice and we have had some shocker by kids and family.

Last one

"Genetically engineered pussy or Kitty"

Greg P
30-11-2009, 01:24 PM
Cat o' nine tails - for all the punishment you have put your self through Gav ;D;D:P

Stuart
30-11-2009, 01:31 PM
What about Double Dees or tripple F.

Stu

Chimo
30-11-2009, 02:22 PM
How about "Dances With Waves" or "Last Cut III" as it is the 3rd cut and mod isn't it?

But wait theres more .........

Cheers
Chimo

gavsgonefishing
30-11-2009, 07:43 PM
Yes so many appropriate names for this creation. I do like 9 lives, but with anything like this it will have to be put through the naming council, I dont think she will accept anything to do with pussy (I just dont understand women), and cat o nine tails sounds good but not original unfortunately.

I ended up finishing the hard top up this arvo by accidently spilling the black flowcoat used for the dots on the finished product. Excellent. So in my wisdom Ithought, dont wipe it off, so I tried to "spill" some more black stuff on the grey flowcoat to make it look a bit more even. hmmm. We will see tomorrow.

I will try and get a video happening when we trail it.

Bakes You will definately see me in the classic, if I finish it

Greg P
30-11-2009, 09:52 PM
Hard to find something original. Staying with the movie theme - SaW VI

You have run one through a few times now

cormorant
01-12-2009, 08:50 AM
All in good humour
This way up ^^^^^^
Itchy and scratchy
Big Donks
Sunshine chainsaw masacre
Upsize
Double or nothing
Kitty galore - for bond lovers
White pointers - well it might slip past the naming commitee - gotta try - just ell em they are funny shaped shark eyes you have painted on the nose

Gotta go

rando
02-12-2009, 09:53 PM
Hi gav.

Cut Cat!!!,as in goes like a............:)

MyWay
03-12-2009, 09:26 PM
The CAT 8-)

or oversize

gavsgonefishing
10-12-2009, 06:08 AM
A couple of pics, real close now, all the wiring and fitout done. Just got to hook the Hyd. steering and finish the motor service(today).

Trial for sat, then might go for a fish on Sunday.

Putting fuel into the tanks is going to hurt.

Trailer is going to be massaged next week

finding_time
10-12-2009, 07:52 AM
then might go for a fish on Sunday.

do you remember how?????????;D

Ian

PS Try and keep it in one piece to fish the the comp at the start of feburary aswell Mate;)

trueblue
10-12-2009, 03:59 PM
"Fat Cat"

or is that just too bloody obvious?

well done on the job - lots of hard work gone into that boat

cheers

Mick

Dean1
12-12-2009, 04:40 PM
Truly amazing Gav..... What is the beam on her now?? You have unreal patience my friend, I find it hard enough waxing my rig let alone cutting her in half!!! ;D

Good luck with her keep us all posted.
Deano..

gavsgonefishing
12-12-2009, 08:16 PM
Did some testing on friday after taking a sneeky half day. 20 knots northerlys is what was ordered. Had a play around out the front, not venturing too far and still managed to rack up 10 nm.

Got some photos wihich I will post later.

Pretty happy with it overall although we had a couple of unnerving monments with the following sea, hopefully driver error.

Couple of minor fixes (no fibreglass thankfully)

Going to the shelf tomorrow to play with the blues

rando
13-12-2009, 12:41 AM
Congratulations Gav.
All credit to you on such an amazing job. There are very few people who could do what you have done with your boat.
And thanks also for such a great post, one of the best Ive read in over five years on this chat-board.

Cheers
rando