PDA

View Full Version : E-Tec problems.

iceknight
25-11-2008, 11:55 PM
Just curious on these etecs. From what i read they seem to have a lot of problems with injectors,

Im not picking on them. just wondering how many ausfishers have them and have had problems?

Or people that have them and havent had problems?

russ81
26-11-2008, 01:39 AM
Hows it going mate

Got a 115 on the back of mine the only problem ive got is they have now bought out the 115 HO and the 130 HP which was what i wanted when i repowered

Russ

Taroona
26-11-2008, 05:33 AM
got a 150 no problems, but i would also help somebody in distress

Jabba_
26-11-2008, 05:59 AM
I own a 250, and I have replaced 1 injector and the EMM.. So far I only know of 1 other 250 (3.3ltr big block) that has done a injector and that is Ozbee from these forums,,, but doing an injector is not as bad as it sounds, it is very rare for it to happen, and if it does the injector runs rich....

I also personally know of another 5 E-tec owners that have not had 1 issue with they motor... I have seen and heard off E-tec not set up properly and this seems to be the biggest problem owners are having.... Being over propped, motor too low on the transom, battery not powerful enough, fuel line to small and restricting flow and so on.... These are some off the mistakes I have seen and heard off...

Then there's E10 and dirty fuel. You would be surprised how many people throw in E10 and leave it sitting for a few months. Or don't have 2 filters, and solely rely on the little filter under the cowl... The one thing that will kill an E-tec is dirty fuel. You get an injector blocked and it will lean out and blow your power head... But to make it clear, a faulty injector will run rich...

Noelm
26-11-2008, 06:57 AM
I guess when it is all said and done, an Injector is an Injector, Diesel, 2 stroke, 4 stroke, they all have Injectors, (well EFI ones do) they all can fail for a variety of reasons, but mostly because of bad fuel, but all thing can break!

Jeremy
26-11-2008, 08:08 AM
But DI 2s are the only outboards with compressors? Y/N?

Noelm
26-11-2008, 08:32 AM
the HPDI (high pressure) ones, but all Motors need a pump of some description to overcome compression to allow an Injector to "squirt" fuel into the combustion chamber, some inject into a manifold setup, so only have a low pressure system, not exactly sure what Models and brands use the different systems available, the "Direct Injection" ,as the name implies, Injects "directly" into the head (like a Diesel) whether one system is better than the other is probably as debatable and 2 or 4 stroke, either is pretty well tried and tested, anyone care to dispel either system as being crap, remembering that Diesel (high pressure) has been around for decades, and the low pressure system I think is more widely used in the Auto market, also been around for years!

iceknight
26-11-2008, 08:38 AM
I own a 250, and I have replaced 1 injector and the EMM.. So far I only know of 1 other 250 (3.3ltr big block) that has done a injector and that is Ozbee from these forums,,, but doing an injector is not as bad as it sounds, it is very rare for it to happen, and if it does the injector runs rich....

I also personally know of another 5 E-tec owners that have not had 1 issue with they motor... I have seen and heard off E-tec not set up properly and this seems to be the biggest problem owners are having.... Being over propped, motor too low on the transom, battery not powerful enough, fuel line to small and restricting flow and so on.... These are some off the mistakes I have seen and heard off...

Then there's E10 and dirty fuel. You would be surprised how many people throw in E10 and leave it sitting for a few months. Or don't have 2 filters, and solely rely on the little filter under the cowl... The one thing that will kill an E-tec is dirty fuel. You get an injector blocked and it will lean out and blow your power head... But to make it clear, a faulty injector will run rich...

Eeek, people actually run that e10 ? do you find less torque? less kmls per tank?
what are the injectors worth after warrentee? ive heard there pretty expensive?
I remember awhile back filling up with e 10 in my old vl commo, in the end i had to drain the tank as the car was running like crap and it was pinging hard out, although it was modified, so i just figured it was a crap fuel?

when the EMM went did the engine still run? or just shut down all together?

Jabba_
26-11-2008, 04:46 PM
Eeek, people actually run that e10 ? do you find less torque? less kmls per tank?
what are the injectors worth after warrentee? ive heard there pretty expensive?
I remember awhile back filling up with e 10 in my old vl commo, in the end i had to drain the tank as the car was running like crap and it was pinging hard out, although it was modified, so i just figured it was a crap fuel?

when the EMM went did the engine still run? or just shut down all together?

I have never used E10 in my boat, and I never will unless I am forced too... Injectors cost about $600 plus installation, but they will get cheaper over time as new tech become old tech...

The EMM and injector.... Yes the motor still worked, and worked very well and to an untrained person you would not off known it was running slightly differant, their was a very slight miss at idle (that I picked up while flushing the engine), and some carbon build up inside the prop hub, an it used more fuel.. Yes, it would off got you home safety and at normal speed if you were 100k off shore... In fact, I was on my way home from the Fish Traps (23 miles SE from southport seaway) when I noticed it was down 500rpm @ WOT (I was back in the broadwater at that stage). That along with a dirty inner prop hub and excessive fuel use, I decided to get the motor check out.......

I am of the opinion it was not the EMM but it was the firmware program that had a glitch making it run a bit rich,and te injector was faulty from the manufacture.... Hinterland Marine and BRP did not want to play around with the program, and BRP sent a new EMM whether it was going to need it or not....

Thats the shorten version, if you have any Q's, just ask...

Jabba_
26-11-2008, 05:12 PM
But DI 2s are the only outboards with compressors? Y/N?
Opti Max and Yamaha have.. The E-tec doesn't....

This is a Ficht injector.... The E-tec injector was born form this injector. They work in very similar ways, but the E-tec is much more refined and efficent...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-QN-5uTZC7w

This is a similar injector you would find in an Opti or Yamaha, and your car.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l5JrbzUAj8w&feature=related

whatscracken
26-11-2008, 05:38 PM
I'm not sure if the E-tecs are as good as they are cracked up to be, Just my two bob

Jabba_
26-11-2008, 06:26 PM
I'm not sure if the E-tecs are as good as they are cracked up to be, Just my two bob
Do you own o have you owned an E-tec? Do you know anyone who owns an E-tec, and have been out with them on regular occasions.... If not your 2 bob is not worth squat...

Luke G
26-11-2008, 08:04 PM
I know of a few over here with injector issues.

Jabba_
26-11-2008, 08:31 PM
That a general and broad comment.. Can you tell us what HP motors, and how old and hrs when they failed... Have the owners had any on-going injector problems since that were fixed....

Indecently.. The 09 Models have a new injector which is suppose to be an improvement over the first E-tec injector... Sorry, I don't know the differences between them...

Splash
26-11-2008, 09:17 PM
Hows it going mate

Got a 115 on the back of mine the only problem ive got is they have now bought out the 115 HO and the 130 HP which was what i wanted when i repowered

Russ

russ - if you were in the market now, would u get the 115 ho or 130?

splash

Ocean_Spirit
26-11-2008, 09:17 PM
Not one issue. If you want an opinion, go directly to the owners. Great, tough all round engine with plenty of grunt and smooth to operate. 200 V6.

trymyluck
26-11-2008, 10:21 PM
Seems to me there can not be too many problems with them, just try and buy a second hand one, not sure about dealers but hardly ever see one advertised.
Mark

iceknight
27-11-2008, 12:42 AM
How much more efficent of fuel would you be guessing, from a 1998 70hp johnson. 2 strk. to a 75hp etec...

Ive heard the 75 produces over that in hp. yet the 90 is a little less? anyone heard this or better still know the facts?

I was thinking of going optimax. as i do favour merc/mariner. but the weight is a real issue for me,I looked into 4 strokes but there weight kills them too.

anyone anyidear on the life span of these etecs...? 1000 hours? then down hill, or a few more?

Noelm
27-11-2008, 07:07 AM
why would you think they would only last 1,000 hours?? any Motor, 2 strke, 4 stroke or any other stroke can and will last for 5 times that amount, if it has been cared for and Serviced, something will usually kill an Outboard before it wears out, been tooting that trumpet for many years now, how long any Motor lasts is completely unrelated to operating pricipal.

iceknight
27-11-2008, 08:06 AM
I just know with Mercury marine in the earlyier days itd be based on 1000 hours. then down hill, but that was a few years ago now.... and oils ect have improved... although i have seen many many mercs with well over the 1000hour mark.

just thought mabee etecs have a stated ( life period) as such.

disorderly
27-11-2008, 08:42 AM
How much more efficent of fuel would you be guessing, from a 1998 70hp johnson. 2 strk. to a 75hp etec...

from my experience of a 70 Johnno and 90 Etec on the same hull I find economy has increased about 35%...plus of course higher top speed,cruise speed, more torque, less oil,less servicing,less noise ...but then again I'd stop for a boatie in distress ;)....

russ81
27-11-2008, 09:33 AM
Hows it going Splash

Good question I would more than likely get the 130
looking over both the new motors they are essentially the 115 power head with a new air intake and new exhaust.

At the moment the air comes in the cowling and runs underneath the motor where the new motors have the intake routed over the motor . to handle to new air flow the cowling the new cowling sits about 35mm higher than the current model

Russ

(sorry to hijack the thread guys)

outsiderskip
27-11-2008, 07:23 PM
i got a 150 etec had 2 injectors replaced after 2 yrs and my mategot a 115 had injectors replaced after 11/2 yrs
all good now but thirsty
pete

Pirate_Pete_Tas
27-11-2008, 09:51 PM
As for no service until 300 hours.

My new car has just done 15000Ks at an average of 50Km/H & is ready for its first service.

Do the math & its 300 Hours

Sounds right to me.

whatscracken
28-11-2008, 03:36 PM
Settle down there Jabba, no need to get yourself worked up over my opinion.

I've never owned an E-tec cause my Yammie has never let me down.

Remember its just my opinion!

Taroona
28-11-2008, 04:04 PM

I guess cause I have not owned a Yammie I can say "Im not sure if Yammies are as good as they are cracked up to be, just my two bobs worth"

How mindless is a statement like that

Jabba_
28-11-2008, 04:11 PM
Whatscracken, I just ask what experiance you have had with the E-tec, I.E. whether you use to own one or if a friend off yours has/had one... It seems you have no experiance with the E-tec's, good or bad... So how was you opinion formed??...

ozbee
29-11-2008, 12:52 PM
a injector on a etec are not all the same it has to be calibrated to a certain cylinder . if you look on the side of the casing there is number that you notice that is different to other injectors . if any injector is placed on it will run ok but will be less fuel efficient . why the simple reason is a engine block always runs leaner the further up you go . this is taken into account and is tuned for you must remember a 250 etec with changed injector pressures and ecm can develop around 500 horsepower but will suffer more engine wear. a four stroke with a turbo can develop a fair amount of hp also but is less likely to run as long and lean because of lack of upper cylinder lubricant . the disadvantage of owning a etec is that many mechanics are not trained to service or set them up correctly. time will change as new mechanics are trained by brp . while i own both and each has its good points service is the most important key and you must admit for a brand of motor that until recently was not supplying the lower horsepower market it has one quite a lot of increasing market share from a base of near collapse ficht motors as successful as the four stroke market made at the beginning. i say go both as long as we have competition we are more likely to get a better product cause as soon as one gets ahead they tend to sit on there ass and rake in the dough ,perfect example Honda look how long they took to go efi and are paying the price now

Taroona
29-11-2008, 02:19 PM
[quote=iceknight;934067]How much more efficent of fuel would you be guessing, from a 1998 70hp johnson. 2 strk. to a 75hp etec...

quote]

I went from a 150 Johnno Ocean Pro to a 150 E-TEC and the difference is old motor 0.74Nm/L to new motor 1.2Nm/L.

Les

siegfried
29-11-2008, 02:55 PM
Two of the blokes I work with have e-bombs both bought new at the same time and have had to have injectors replaced, both about 8-10 months out of warranty so very expensive fixes. Both these motors also had several trips back to the dealer for other fuel/electronic issues whilst in warranty. Now before anyone bores it up me both these blokes are mates who I do know well and regularly fish with so it is not heresay or a bs yarn. When there going there like any outboard but as far as new motors go I reckon there failure rate is well above average. 90% of commercial blokes use 4 st and theres a reason for that ,reliability and economy.the old argument about servicing costs has been done to death and the reality is that once out of warranty any owner that can wipe their own blot can service a 4 st outboard and it is not an expensive operation. The commercial blokes around here have upwards of 4000 hors on 140 suzukis and their maintanance schedule consists of engine and gearbox oil @ 200hrs, filters @ 200 hrs plugs 4-500 hrs and impellors when required. servicing and warranties are a funny thing but because a motor that has had the $hit belted out or it dragging skiers etc requiers servicinc @ 100 hrs as does the old mopoke fisherman that pokes about or the game fisho who trolls @ 6-8 kts all day. Sorry for the ramblings but my two bobs worth.( I run adiesel so have no vested interest in any outbord maufacturer)

finding_time
29-11-2008, 07:02 PM
Sigfried

Mate during trolling season , my services are at 150 hrs the engines are just running at 2100 rpm all day , the gear box oil is as clean as after 150 hrS!!Most pro's i know service there own engines , during mackeral season there almost doing 100 hrs a week!!

ian

siegfried
29-11-2008, 08:31 PM
none of em are using e tecs?

Grand_Marlin
30-11-2008, 07:55 AM
had to have injectors replaced, both about 8-10 months out of warranty

Do I read this as they were 8 - 10 months old and weren't covered by warranty?

or

They were 8 - 10 months outside the warranty period? (i.e. 3 years and 8 months old)

I thought the E-Tec had a 3 year warranty?

Cheers

Pete

siegfried
30-11-2008, 04:59 PM
8 & 10 months out of warranty..ie 3yrs + 8&10 mths .one of these blokes is actually on his second because the first one had a fuel problem that could not be fixed and was exchanged for a new one at 5 months old. It was a 90hp other is a75. Saw a 150 at Forster with a hole in the side of the block at 60 hrs- rebuilt under warranty so obviously no fault of the owner ...not for me the etec but some fullas love em. when theres mobs of em with 3-4000 hours and still going maybe but honestly there are some issues. I had a115 ficht for agood while and it was a beauty but hard on fuel compared to 4 stk & diesel

Noelm
01-12-2008, 07:03 AM
rebuilt under warranty you say? did you see the Engine rebuilt, or was told by a mate who overheard it at the pub?

Noelm
01-12-2008, 10:06 AM
OK, no nibbles? I was just sort of wondering why "they" would replace a Motor for a new one when it had "fuel problems" yet rebuild a Motor that had "blown up"

chop duster
01-12-2008, 12:11 PM
Maybe the big boys wanted it for research? heard of this before. Who knows?

siegfried
03-12-2008, 07:41 AM
Maybe the big boys wanted it for research? heard of this before. Who knows?. Correct, btw Noel nothing I have posted is pub heresay , it is of no benifit to me or anyone else to post bull$%*t on here , just facts, and yes one motor went back to Bombardier and the mechanic that replaced the block on the 150 fishes with me regularly. It is easy to replace a block as opposed to repair/ diagnose failed injectors EMMs etc , but then again you probably know that as well.::)

ozbee
03-12-2008, 08:05 AM
THE MOST PEOPLE WHO HAVE TROUBLE WITH ETEC ARE PEOPLE WHO DON'T OWN ONE. eaiser to change the block as opposed to repair or diagnose a failed injector.

it must be hard to connect a laptop to a usb port on a engine . from there you can indvidually fire the injectors one at a time with the motor not running or running depending on what you want to diagonose also fire up the injector pump to check pressures.

sounds like a simple case of your mechanic not trained by brp. which is sad for evinrude as a lot of motor problems have been caused by small dealerships not putting the time in to be fully trained to set these motors up properly from the beginning.

whether you like e tecs or not they are a definite breakthrough in modern technology and to compare them to old ficht motors is about as relevant to compare your fourstrokes to the old carby motors.

Noelm
03-12-2008, 08:20 AM
OK now, lets get this straight, they rebuilt the Engine? they replaced the Block? they did not test any Injectors? so then either the old gear was used and the problem could still exist, they did NOT rebuild anything, a new Motor was supplied (block?) or a new "block" was supplied and the old Pistons, and crank and stuff was used, not too sure exactly what type of "rebuild" was done! a rebuild can mean a lot of things to different people.

Noelm
03-12-2008, 08:32 AM
OH, and to be sure, can you define a "block"?

siegfried
03-12-2008, 09:00 AM
The motor went back to BRP because it could not be made run despite numerous trips to the dealer ,Fact. The injectors on the replacement and another 75 failed not long after te warranty expired, fact. The 150 had a hole in the blockand was repaired under warranty , fact. I posted what I know and I am not going to undertake an investigation into these motors because it aint my business , if you think Im full of $h&t just say it , but as I said ,it is of no benifit to me or anyone else to post second hand pub talk on here.

Noelm
03-12-2008, 09:37 AM
nope, never said anyone was full of sh!t, never will either, but I like true facts, anyone can simply say "I personally know of 10 . . . . that blew up" however, unless we know exactly what blown up is, or rebuilt is, or a block is, then it basicaly means nothing, I do not own an E-tec, but I would defend one, or a 4 stroke, or an old carby 2 stroke, if facts are not tendered to fully explain the incident, all it does is reduce credibility to product, the poster the Dealer involved and a host of other things as well, get where I am coming from?

finga
03-12-2008, 09:42 AM
I have an old 2 stroke Merc. Goes good too http://www.smileyhut.com/happy/happydance.gif

Oh how I love/hate the e-tec debates. Nearly as good as the bay chop debates.
This has been argued over and over again and done to death.
Just do a search for e-tec and find out all the info you need....whether it be right or wrong or heard at the pub or straight from....who-ever.
Here ya go. I even did the search http://www.ausfish.com.au/vforum/search.php?searchid=761137

Noelm
03-12-2008, 09:43 AM
just to make a point here, there is nothing at all to stop me from posting something like "I was at the ramp yesterday, and I saw 2 Yamaha 4 strokes with blown power heads" the Yamaha/Honda/Suzuki guy was saying that there is major problems with them!! now none of that is true, but it would make for some very angry owners, some of whom may just take it as truth! not to mention the tirade of of "I have had a xxx for years and it is great".

Noelm
03-12-2008, 10:11 AM
strangely enough Finga, I was just wondering the other day why they (E-Tecs) incite some much debate, is it an Evinrude hate thing? a 2 stroke hate thing? a jealousy thing? a 'small weiner" syndrome thing? almost no other product will get the Boat fraternity hotter in minutes than the mention of that 4 letter word etec??

business class
03-12-2008, 10:47 AM
I will throw in my 2 cents aswell then......I think it would be the whole 2 stroke hate theroy or maybe smell theory, noisy theroy or even thirsty theroy, or maybe the whole keep breaking theroy.:P ;D But the thing that i think would get under peoples skin would be that they had to rubbish other brands to sell theres, and thats just not cricket.........

At least they have something good about the E-Tec's..... they have a bit 4 in them after all...... just pitty its only the letters:P :P . And be nice you E-Tec owners i have only got 4lb leader;) .

Cheers
Matty

Noelm
03-12-2008, 10:53 AM
I think there may be some owners in the trail now, ready to bite!

business class
03-12-2008, 11:10 AM
The water temp must be to cold as I thought i cubed quite well ;) !!!!!!!
Or they just know i am telling the truth!!!!!!!!;D

Cheers
Matty

finding_time
03-12-2008, 11:49 AM
.:P ;D But the thing that i think would get under peoples skin would be that they had to rubbish other brands to sell theres, and thats just not cricket.........

Cheers
Matty

Pretty spot on i reckon, when you have to promote your brand by attacking others it's very poor form , and attacking others in a misleading way, (eg motor set-ups) is even worse. Unfortunately some owners have carried on where BRP left off and carry on about there e-tecs like they are the be all and end all , and back this up with there own dodgy figures that are so out there that they defy phyisics!

Ian

There you go Matty you have teased them up, lets see if i can switch them!;D

Spaniard_King
03-12-2008, 01:51 PM
THE MOST PEOPLE WHO HAVE TROUBLE WITH ETEC ARE PEOPLE WHO DON'T OWN ONE. eaiser to change the block as opposed to repair or diagnose a failed injector.

it must be hard to connect a laptop to a usb port on a engine . from there you can indvidually fire the injectors one at a time with the motor not running or running depending on what you want to diagonose also fire up the injector pump to check pressures.

sounds like a simple case of your mechanic not trained by brp. which is sad for evinrude as a lot of motor problems have been caused by small dealerships not putting the time in to be fully trained to set these motors up properly from the beginning.

whether you like e tecs or not they are a definite breakthrough in modern technology and to compare them to old ficht motors is about as relevant to compare your fourstrokes to the old carby motors.

Ozbee, seeing you have looked into the Etec diagnostic system, can you tell us if the Outboard techs can or do measure the amount of fuel passed by an injector as this is more relevant than if it works or not!

Spaniard_King
03-12-2008, 02:06 PM

In reference to the laptop thingy.. There isn't a lot that can be done with an Etec that couldn't be done on a ficht i.e performing operating tests etc.

ozbee what qualifications do you have on ficht engines??? please explain where the differences are comparing etec's to ficht's I am particularly interested in the fuel injection system and the controls around this?

Feel free to PM me if you feel the need:-*

Noelm
03-12-2008, 02:11 PM
UH OH, the line has just snapped from the rigger clip!! but Spaniard seems to have a slightly better lure. (and he just might be correct)

business class
03-12-2008, 02:40 PM
I will just say sorry for all the E-Tec owners, as they can not attend this conversaion due to constant engine breakdowns which they are fixing at this current moment, but will return shortly to post a reply once there new 4 stroke is finally fitted:P ...... sorry for the inconvienence;D

Cheers
Matty

ozbee
03-12-2008, 02:53 PM
ficht had as i have been told had a basic injector in one that is compatible to any cylinder.

if you look on a etec on the side of the injector there is a reference letter which is different on each cylinder. a injector if just replaced will run but not necessarily the best. it has to be calibrated by the mechanic by choosing an ejector within the tolerance level given by brp within in reference to that injector number.

in short the injectors are calibrated differently to each cylinder as there is difference in mixture as you are aware the leanness of a motor is the top cylinders compared to the bottom of the block.

this is the advice given to me as i watched him install the new injector. he has spent a considerable amount of time each year being trained by brp and gives advice to other etec dealerships on trouble motors in north Queensland.

a 250 etec with different calibrated injector pressures and ecm can easily develop up to 500 horsepower which is why they are one of the favoured motors for racing at present . the down side is they have had cooling problems in getting the water up to the head hence the change in water intake design in the newer models.

as the mechanic said there is no comparison they are two differently designed motors. one is very much old technology compared to new.

business class
03-12-2008, 03:14 PM
So let me get this right:-/ so you have limited experence with the ficht, and limited experence with mechanical side of both engines, but because the BRP mechanic said the E-Tec's are better and have newer technology he is right.......:-/ :-/.........

I thought you said before (QUOTE) that people who have the most trouble with E-Tec's are the ones who don't own one...... meaning if you don't have first hand knowledge or experence then don't comment on something you don't know......... Haven't you just done that with your last comment.( Ficht had, as i have been told).....:-/ :-/

ozbee
03-12-2008, 03:16 PM
a quick simple bushmens guide is run your finger around the exhaust inside of the prop the colour is slightly different between a straight block like a 150 to a v block like my 250 . all because of engine design mainly from the injectors and there calibration. most people would not pick up a faulty injector straight up as in a v six in fact he showed how by disconnecting a plug the motor tunes itself and a miss is pretty much not readable. the best way to find a faulty injector is to look at the exhaust colour and probable soot.

business class
03-12-2008, 03:19 PM
Ok lets get over this whole Argueing thing as i have found a way to solve all the E-tech problems........... it consists of 1 number and 6 letters...................... ............4 STR0KE............:P :P

PLUS. then we all get to spend more time doing what we all love to do. FISH.;D

finding_time
03-12-2008, 03:31 PM
a quick simple bushmens guide is run your finger around the exhaust inside of the prop the colour is slightly different between a straight block like a 150 to a v block like my 250 . all because of engine design mainly from the injectors and there calibration. most people would not pick up a faulty injector straight up as in a v six in fact he showed how by disconnecting a plug the motor tunes itself and a miss is pretty much not readable. the best way to find a faulty injector is to look at the exhaust colour and probable soot.

Gee and this simple bushmans guide didn't alert you to your problems a while back? Didn't it have a few false starts and trips back to your engine guru before they found the problem? I guess this is where your outstanding knowledge of injectors comes from, countless hours of wiping your finger around the exhaust port on your engine;) 8-)

ian

ozbee
03-12-2008, 03:36 PM
AT LEAST I HAD THE FORESIGHT to learn from one of the most trained brp mechanic in the country who by age was repairing outboards before you were born and of all brands

as for business class your pretty much down to cattle crate economy in that my opening statement was that the most people who have trouble with etecs dont own one .WHICH PRETTY WELL SUMS IT UP AS ONE OF YOU.

ozbee
03-12-2008, 03:42 PM
as for the second trip back he walked past the motor first time and said a injector was faulty with out even touching it . unfortunately i wanted the new type of plug installed and one of these was faulty but just to scare you there is other motors there being rebuilt and guess what there not all etecs

finding_time
03-12-2008, 03:48 PM
AT LEAST I HAD THE FORESIGHT to learn from one of the most trained brp mechanic in the country who by age was repairing outboards before you were born and of all brands

as for business class your pretty much down to cattle crate economy in that my opening statement was that the most people who have trouble with etecs dont own one .WHICH PRETTY WELL SUMS IT UP AS ONE OF YOU.

HOOK-UP!!! Just need a more aggresive lure!;) ;) ;D

Ian

Just messing with ya Ozbee! :D I'm sure your very happy with your engine mate!;) Is the weather comming good up your way yet?

ozbee
03-12-2008, 03:53 PM
the funny side of all this is i have had over 150 hrs without a hitch from the etec yet beside is a 20 hp Honda kicker which i brought for trolling but have never used as the etec only uses around 4 litres a hour even less on a slow trail yet it has had a recall.

samson
03-12-2008, 03:58 PM
Gary (spaniad king) i heard off a little birdy the other day correct me if i'm wrong that you were very disappointed with seaworlds decission to scrap johnson 2 stroke motor's and replace them with honda 4 strokes and said you wished they went for e-tec's instead. What's changed your mind since then because you seem very pro-honda now is it because you want more honda's to fix since you went out on your own because your mates seem to be getting around with silver motor's.

Not having a go just curious?

business class i didn't realise you owned a boat let alone a 4-stroke as far as i know you just loan one don't you?

Cheers samson

Spaniard_King
03-12-2008, 04:04 PM
Ozbee, seeing you have looked into the Etec diagnostic system, can you tell us if the Outboard techs can or do measure the amount of fuel passed by an injector as this is more relevant than if it works or not!

Ozbee, this is the issue as stated above. Until BRP comes out with an injector flow test these engines will be difficult to diagnose what injector is faulty and what is not. Do you think putting a new injesctor in, hooking the lappy up and telling the ECU what flow rate(as designated by the serial number) the injector is in cylinder # X is difficult.. your kidding yourself.

Do you think if an injector is runing on the lean side you will get soot around the prop???:-/

I don't think BRP want Etec's to be associated with ficht engines hence the marketing to brainwash prospective buyers...marketing has been extreme to say the least.

All manufacturers make improvements to the model range, BRP has simply made an improvement to the ficht engine and called it an Etec!

ozbee
03-12-2008, 04:21 PM
i will ask him but im pretty sure they are pre calibrated at factory like any diesel engine is. there is a vapour filter that comes off the fuel rail pump that can block and cause richness problems by sending the rail pressure sky high. injectors are not made by brp they are outsourced like most manufactures and there was problem's with a batch early on but any motor that had them and who had trouble were replaced with new injectors

Spaniard_King
03-12-2008, 04:23 PM
Gary (spaniad king) i heard off a little birdy the other day correct me if i'm wrong that you were very disappointed with seaworlds decission to scrap johnson 2 stroke motor's and replace them with honda 4 strokes and said you wished they went for e-tec's instead. What's changed your mind since then because you seem very pro-honda now is it because you want more honda's to fix since you went out on your own because your mates seem to be getting around with silver motor's.

Not having a go just curious?

business class i didn't realise you owned a boat let alone a 4-stroke as far as i know you just loan one don't you?

Cheers samson

Samason

yes that is partially correct. I was only Dissapointed in OMC dropping there sponsorship(remember when OMC went into receivership) It was not Seaworlds decision to change it was thrust upon us we were very Loyal to OMC. The sponsorship was put out to tender most brands (except BRP) took some interest one way or another. It was a major change to us to go from our fully setup Evinrude/Johnson/ficht engines to basically an unknown quantity with the new Honda 225. We had the time to mess around with Honda's before we gave the go ahead for the change.

Pulling 10 skiers in a small lake takes some refining in setup, we setup a 225 Honda on a spare boat and put it to the test against a 225 ficht. Over the length of our ski lake neither enginer had it over the other. Setup was crucial and the honda handled what we through at it, so the sponsorship went ahead.

We ran the fichts from 1999 untill 2002, we did blow up one power head. We were in the middle of manufacturing our own injector flow tester when the new sponsorship was taken up so we ditched the idea hence my knowledge on the subject. I still have freinds working for BRP who I consult from time to time.

Obviuosly I have had several years working on Honda's which I have formed an opinion on them. Basically it comes down to yank V jap in quallity of the components.

Sambo, Do you need me to find you one;D

Spaniard_King
03-12-2008, 04:25 PM
i will ask him but im pretty sure they are pre calibrated at factory like any diesel engine is. there is a vapour filter that comes off the fuel rail pump that can block and cause richness problems by sending the rail pressure sky high. injectors are not made by brp they are outsourced like most manufactures and there was problem's with a batch early on but any motor that had them and who had trouble were replaced with new injectors

Etec's don't run a rail system. The unique function of the injector is develop it's own injection presure (similar to a unit injector;) )

samson
03-12-2008, 05:10 PM
Not at the moment gary just repowered got looked after by brp on price couldn't knock it back, but on the new big boat i think i might go in the 4 sroke direction because i'll run dual motors and won't clock up as many hours doing long range trips as i do locally and wouldn't mind the extra range.

Cheers samson

ozbee
03-12-2008, 07:19 PM
yes if technical but there is a positive fuel pressure delivered

iceknight
03-12-2008, 10:11 PM
ahhhh it took abit to get going.. but seems to be a good debate :D

Still tossing up between 4 stroke and etec... the injector and there prices have me a little weary... ( after warentee period) ... then agian there weight. and i tend to favour the 2 strk over 4 strks...who knows.. im pretty sure oneday ill just order one ,picked on a mood at the time... they all seem to be much of a muchness in general,

business class
04-12-2008, 09:20 AM

Cheers samson[/quote]

Are mr Samson, I havea 18ft hydrofield and has a 140hp suzuki but you already know this:-/ ..... so why you ask?????

business class
04-12-2008, 09:27 AM
Not at the moment gary just repowered got looked after by brp on price couldn't knock it back, but on the new big boat i think i might go in the 4 sroke direction because i'll run dual motors and won't clock up as many hours doing long range trips as i do locally and wouldn't mind the extra range.

Cheers samson

Argh, good to see all the local pro's coming around to the four strokes;) ;D . and nice to see when you are chasing extra range you will head for the four stroke;D and did this actually come from a E-Tec owner:o :o

ozbee
04-12-2008, 09:31 AM
iceknight i own a 250 etec as well as the new 50 honda on my tinny. both have there places the honda i like the ability to smooth along .,use little fuel great for a troll at slightly higher speeds as well as low, i really miss sometimes that real grunt of get up and go a di gives even though it has blast technology its nowhere like a di. with a four you have to hold the start key longer and i have a tendency to let it go to early

the etec i like the response a di gives it still does make a fourstroke look so slow getting up , great t sound they sound very much like the old v 8 of yesterday then they quiet off,fuel economy is good with vary little variance no matter what the load , you only have to touch the key for a sec to go.i havent even ever squeeze the fuel bulb ever ,instant start ,dislikes ;that extra torque comes at a small price i feel a fourstroke will give slightly better fuel economy also a four will cruise better at speed just before planning

Noelm
04-12-2008, 09:44 AM
I don't quite get where everyone reckons that a 4 stroke will give you extra range, or such better fuel economy, in my research on 115HP motors of all brands and operating principal, and averaging out all the fuel tests I found on all the models, the best (at 4,000RPM) was 15 litres per hour, the worst was 18, I am not saying which Motor fitted in where, but there is only 3 litres per hour, best to worst, so at best at cruise for 8 hours (doubt you ever would) there is a HUGE 24 litres difference, now that is a saving no doubt, but hardly anything to regard as startling, or worth fighting over!

coucho
04-12-2008, 10:59 AM
E-tecstacy (E-tec-stacy) the stae of euphoria experienced when your motor actually starts and goes
E-tecstatic (E-tec-static) being in a state E-tecstasy

Sorry couldn’t help myself

1lastcast
04-12-2008, 12:08 PM
Ok i have been sitting and watching this thread and p!ssing myself laughing as well _______ now.

you could have the bestest bestest motor in the world ( a 140hp suzuki 4 stroke ) and still have problems allthough it is unlikely ;) .

So the long and the short of it is that any engine can have a problem from time to time that is all there is to it . ( unless it is a 140hp suzuki 4 stroke )

MONOSTRETCHO

iceknight
04-12-2008, 12:11 PM
iceknight i own a 250 etec as well as the new 50 honda on my tinny. both have there places the honda i like the ability to smooth along .,use little fuel great for a troll at slightly higher speeds as well as low, i really miss sometimes that real grunt of get up and go a di gives even though it has blast technology its nowhere like a di. with a four you have to hold the start key longer and i have a tendency to let it go to early

the etec i like the response a di gives it still does make a fourstroke look so slow getting up , great t sound they sound very much like the old v 8 of yesterday then they quiet off,fuel economy is good with vary little variance no matter what the load , you only have to touch the key for a sec to go.i havent even ever squeeze the fuel bulb ever ,instant start ,dislikes ;that extra torque comes at a small price

< can you explain the torque that comes at a extra price? what do you mean?

i feel a fourstroke will give slightly better fuel economy also a four will cruise better at speed just before planning

Does anyone know the round about retail of a 75 etec? or 90,

1lastcast
04-12-2008, 12:15 PM
More than its worth ;D

ozbee
04-12-2008, 01:15 PM
don't bother with a 90 the new 115 and 130 are the way to go

siegfried
04-12-2008, 01:21 PM
Just buy an etec-it will be cheaper in the long run because you do not need to buy a boat to go with it.....cause it will be sitting in the shed r%^ted, harr harr:D :P

Spaniard_King
04-12-2008, 01:59 PM
Ok i have been sitting and watching this thread and p!ssing myself laughing as well _______ now.

you could have the bestest bestest motor in the world ( a 140hp suzuki 4 stroke ) and still have problems allthough it is unlikely ;) .

So the long and the short of it is that any engine can have a problem from time to time that is all there is to it . ( unless it is a 140hp suzuki 4 stroke )

MONOSTRETCHO

Just wanted to save these quotes above.. for a time and place yet to be determined;D

dfox
04-12-2008, 03:49 PM
I don't quite get where everyone reckons that a 4 stroke will give you extra range, or such better fuel economy, in my research on 115HP motors of all brands and operating principal, and averaging out all the fuel tests I found on all the models, the best (at 4,000RPM) was 15 litres per hour, the worst was 18, I am not saying which Motor fitted in where, but there is only 3 litres per hour, best to worst, so at best at cruise for 8 hours (doubt you ever would) there is a HUGE 24 litres difference, now that is a saving no doubt, but hardly anything to regard as startling, or worth fighting over!

Noelm, ive read alot of these fuel tests, regardless of engine type most seem to be in flat seas. The engine can sit constantly at the same rev's. What they dont tell is how much fuel an engine uses in real conditions. Even in relatively mild conditions the engine may sit at roughly the same rev's, but with every wave or swell it runs under load then runs easy. It may not be much in engine note, but it sure effects the fuel burn figures, naturally the bigger the seas or swell the more dramatic the load is on each wave and swell.
Under these more natural operating conditions different engines will show there true colours.
Of course if you only fish in sheltered, flat and waveless conditions it doesnt matter;D ... foxy

ozbee
04-12-2008, 04:08 PM
and thats where the torque comes in

Spaniard_King
04-12-2008, 04:16 PM
Ozbee, have you ever been in a boat in a sea with over 15 knots of wind with a largish HP 4 stroke on the back.. you would then know the difference between the 2 and 4S

business class
04-12-2008, 04:33 PM
i bet he probably hasn't, but the E-tec engineer said they go alot better then a four stroke, so they must!!!!;D ;D :P :D

samson
04-12-2008, 07:14 PM
Business class i thought your old boy owned it but i was just shit stirring, though i'll do you a deal get me a good price on one of those plate boats and i'll think about two 140 suzi's on the back.

Noelm if you get a fuel saving at all even if minimal it just adds to the range and i'll take anything i can get.

Dean1
04-12-2008, 08:11 PM
Its nice to not have to worry about filling up the old two stroke oil resevoir nowadays ;) One less thing to do when getting ready for an outing 8-) I think etecs owners love the smell of raw 2 stroke oil :o

bluefin59
04-12-2008, 08:15 PM
Yep it will always come back to the same thing ,ETECS are still a 2 stroke ....matt

finding_time
04-12-2008, 08:18 PM
Noelm, ive read alot of these fuel tests, regardless of engine type most seem to be in flat seas. The engine can sit constantly at the same rev's. What they dont tell is how much fuel an engine uses in real conditions. Even in relatively mild conditions the engine may sit at roughly the same rev's, but with every wave or swell it runs under load then runs easy. It may not be much in engine note, but it sure effects the fuel burn figures, naturally the bigger the seas or swell the more dramatic the load is on each wave and swell.
Under these more natural operating conditions different engines will show there true colours.
Of course if you only fish in sheltered, flat and waveless conditions it doesnt matter;D ... foxy

Foxy pretty much sums it up when it comes to 4's and the ocean they just seem to hold there revs much better both going down a swell and back up the other side. This is the single most noticable thing when driving a boat offshore, you do alot more driving with a 2 stroke on the back , your on and off the throttle all day!

Ian

iceknight
04-12-2008, 10:53 PM
don't bother with a 90 the new 115 and 130 are the way to go

but the 115 130 are heavier then the 90? if so its too heavy for the boat then,

Jabba_
05-12-2008, 05:32 AM
E-tec 75 / 90 = 145kg
E-tec 115 / 130 = 167kg

Dean, I haven't put any oil into my boat for 50hrs, and I probably won't have to for another 5-10hrs...
I bet I can top up my oil reservoir easier, quicker and cleaner then you or your mechanic can change the oil in one off your motors... Also, what do you do with all your old oil and oil filters??? I would hate to be doing that job a couple off times a year, let alone once..

Spaniard_King
05-12-2008, 06:12 AM
E-tec 75 / 90 = 145kg
E-tec 115 / 130 = 167kg

Dean, I haven't put any oil into my boat for 50hrs, and I probably won't have to for another 5-10hrs...
I bet I can top up my oil reservoir easier, quicker and cleaner then you or your mechanic can change the oil in one off your motors... Also, what do you do with all your old oil and oil filters??? I would hate to be doing that job a couple off times a year, let alone once..

I would recon it would be going into an approved waste oil disposal center just like where YOUR gear oil would be going. As far the filter goes, after proper draining it can go into a bin just like YOUR fuel filters.

They both use/have oil and filters.. get over it!::)

Noelm
05-12-2008, 06:59 AM
hhmm 7 pages, might need some fresh bait I think, I read yesterday that the 2010 emission laws will almost certainly put an end to all this, there is no current 4 stroke that will pass the levels that were set! Just joking guys, never read anything of the sort, it was just all starting to die off like an E-tec in a following Sea!

Wahoo
05-12-2008, 07:11 AM
it was just all starting to die off like an E-tec in a following Sea!

ha ha..... too funny

and Garry, a mate not so long ago fitted a 225 honda to his bluewater, what a machine,

Mindi
05-12-2008, 08:53 AM
hhmm 7 pages, might need some fresh bait I think, I read yesterday that the 2010 emission laws will almost certainly put an end to all this, there is no current 4 stroke that will pass the levels that were set! Just joking guys, never read anything of the sort, it was just all starting to die off like an E-tec in a following Sea!
Noel why dont we ask Steve to pin this thread so we never need to go looking for the E=Tec vs 4 Stroke pissing contest but can just check it out easily. It seems a bit inefficient that it has to die off and wait anything up to a week or so to get restarted..?

Noelm
05-12-2008, 09:19 AM
hhmm die off and have to wait a week to get started, now does that make it a 2 or a 4 stroke thread? but I reckon you might be right, it does provide some mild entertainment, but is getting pretty worn nowdays, the same old to and fros with nothing new to make me want to rush right out and buy anything! but never mind, it's Friday and we have the whole weekend to dream up something to fight about next week.

finding_time
05-12-2008, 09:55 AM
, it's Friday and we have the whole weekend to dream up something to fight about next week.

Unless the weather comes good and we can all get out fishing!!!;)

Jabba_
05-12-2008, 01:19 PM
I would recon it would be going into an approved waste oil disposal center just like where YOUR gear oil would be going. As far the filter goes, after proper draining it can go into a bin just like YOUR fuel filters.

They both use/have oil and filters.. get over it!::)
And that was my point also... I just wanted t hear from Dean how changing 4st oil is better and easier then topping up 2st oil, now that the days are gone you need to add oil direct into the fuel tank.....

Noelm
05-12-2008, 01:30 PM
Of course it it easier for an owner to change the Oil in a 4 stroke, you just take it to a "man" and he does it and you pay him, how easy is that? do not even get your hands dirty, I reckon that should entice at least a nibble!

business class
05-12-2008, 01:31 PM
[quote=samson;936887]Business class i thought your old boy owned it but i was just shit stirring, though i'll do you a deal get me a good price on one of those plate boats and i'll think about two 140 suzi's on the back.

Haven't you hurd mate whats his is mine and mine is mine:P ;) I think now i own it and he is the one that borrows it:D . And yeah no drama's mate just come talk to me when ever your ready;D and ill do ya a good deal.......

Cheers
Matty

finding_time
05-12-2008, 05:06 PM
;)
And that was my point also... I just wanted t hear from Dean how changing 4st oil is better and easier then topping up 2st oil, now that the days are gone you need to add oil direct into the fuel tank.....

Did you know Jabba that deans engine only has 2.2l of oil in it! How much does your use in a hundred hrs of use! Noel's very fond of the " you either burn it or change it line" it just doesn't stack up under any examination! Any 60 2 stroke will burn a truck load more fuel the the equilivant 4 will change at 100hrs!

Ian

Jabba_
05-12-2008, 05:41 PM
;)

Did you know Jabba that deans engine only has 2.2l of oil in it! How much does your use in a hundred hrs of use! Noel's very fond of the " you either burn it or change it line" it just doesn't stack up under any examination! Any 60 2 stroke will burn a truck load more fuel the the equivalent 4 will change at 100hrs!

Ian
Your kidding arn't you.... A 60 E-tec will use more then 2.2ltrs in 100hrs, but it won't use a truck load more... Pending on usage, 8lts max, if your full throttle all the time... I have a good friend with a 75 E-tec, and so far with 35hrs he has used a smidge over a ltr. Call it 4ltr for 100hrs... I bought him a 19ltr drum off XD100 last year (Nov 06) and he still hasn't opened it.... The way it's going, he has has enough XD100 for the next 5 years.....

My 250 has burnt 8ltr of XD100 in 50hrs.. So that about 16ltr for 100hrs... How much oil does a 250 4st require.....

Dean1
05-12-2008, 07:01 PM
Hi Jabba! Jabba I get my motors serviced once a year or 100hrs by a 'man'. 1 service = about $500. $500= 1 days work for me. Not much at all is it! For that one days work I do I get (peace of mind for the next year, no maintence myself and no oil on my hands whatsoever!! Pretty cool huh!

You either burn it or change it. Good strategy! Mmm my motors 'change' 4.4ltrs of oil for '2' motors in 100hrs. Did you say your mates 75 uses 4ltrs for 100hrs for '1' motor. What are you getting at here man, I dont understand... Doesnt weigh up on your end :-/

And a 250 4st doesnt need 16 litres of oil surely!!?

Wahoo
06-12-2008, 08:01 AM
My 250 has burnt 8ltr of XD100 in 50hrs.. So that about 16ltr for 100hrs... How much oil does a 250 4st require.....[/QUOTE]

ummm,.................... 8 ltrs

finding_time
06-12-2008, 12:11 PM
Your kidding arn't you.... A 60 E-tec will use more then 2.2ltrs in 100hrs, but it won't use a truck load more... Pending on usage, 8lts max, if your full throttle all the time.......

Ok Jabba if you would think outside your own little world for a minute i was refering to Noels statement that "2 stroke burn it four strokes change it "statement!

E-tecs are the lowest oil using 2 strokes out there right! And as you have stated they use as much as 3.5 to 4 times as much as a a 60 4 over a hundred hours ( you can run a 4 flat out for the whole hundred hours and use no more oil;) ) How much oil would a old style 60 s stroke use over that period? Truck loads more!:o

Thanks for making my point Jabba!!!!!;)

Ian

disorderly
06-12-2008, 02:55 PM
Does anyone else get the feeling that we just seem to be going round and round in circles here ??::)

Jabba_
06-12-2008, 03:25 PM
Boy are you two clutching at straws now.... I guess if the old favorite 4st saying is and I quote

Its nice to not have to worry about filling up the old two stroke oil resevoir nowadays ;) One less thing to do when getting ready for an outing 8-) I think etecs owners love the smell of raw 2 stroke oil :o

doesn't work, then try and bluff you way out with some other bullshit.. Such as

Did you know Jabba that deans engine only has 2.2l of oil in it! How much does your use in a hundred hrs of use! Noel's very fond of the " you either burn it or change it line" it just doesn't stack up under any examination! Any 60 2 stroke will burn a truck load more fuel the the equilivant 4 will change at 100hrs!

Ian

So whats the story guys, I guess if you can't beat us with the old "Ooooh, I don't have to refill my oil every time I go fishing".... You then revert to "we use less oil then you 2st folk"...

So we burn more oil. Is that all you've got? Are you trying the green tactic now....... If so, the 60hp E-tec produces less emissions then one off Deans 60 4st...

Our oil is dear, at $12ltr, but in normal operation for a 60hp E-tec it will only burn 4lt/100 at a cost of $48...

$48 by 3 years =$144, plus a 300hr/3y service for a 60hp $250, comes to a grand total off $394.

One off Deans 60's to service @ 20hr then again at 100hrs, 200hrs and 300hrs at $250 min per service = $1000 per engine, thats well over double the servicing and oil cost off the 60hp E-tec...
Infact,, Dean has already spent 5 times more on servicing his twin little 60's then I have so far to date, on 2st oil for a 250 E-tec @ 85hrs...

finga
06-12-2008, 03:29 PM
Found the perfect propulsion unit for the boat.
Uses NO OIL...repeat....NO OIL....ever (or nearly ever)
Fuel saving would be enormous no matter your style of boat and as for foreseeable life span....lets just say some have been around since Noah built the Ark so to speak...and no breakdowns. EVER... well hardly ever :o
Absolutely friendly to the environment to no end and healthy to the boating fraternity.
Even the Greenies will like everyone using this.
Even owner/service guy/dealer relationships will be improved as there are hardly any warantee claims what-so-ever. Just buy and use.
Services can even be done by the owners. No more dragging the boat to the dealer. Services can all be done at home or in the mariner.
Super stealth mode is possible with every model. That's real handy for the plastic lover among us. In fact you might rethink your style of boating after using this style of propulsion for even the shortest period of time.
The Government will even give you a reduction in your registration fees...how often does that happen??

Want to know more???

Jabba_
06-12-2008, 03:31 PM
Does anyone else get the feeling that we just seem to be going round and round in circles here ??::)
Yep..........

Dean1
06-12-2008, 05:02 PM
Jabba its taken you 18 hrs to reply and this is it?

Mate if youre happy with your etec be happy then! ;D You are so sensitive about em that it makes me wonder are you really that happy with it?? Maybe, maybe not.

I know etecs still require some form of servicing every year. I think that etecs are just too overpriced and overrated for what they are even if they claim they dont need servicing for 3 years which is a load of bullsh!t. If you went 3 years without any form of service, maintence then youv got rocks in your'e head.

Each to their own, im very happy with my smicko little 60's and dont need to reassure myself or anyone else.

Four strokes will get better every year I say and 2 strokes will eventually come to a deadend i think. Just take a look at motorcross bikes and mowers etc., dont see many 2 strokes nowadays do we!!

Cheers, Deano.

siegfried
06-12-2008, 05:50 PM
wait till the 3 year no service warranty blaqh blah period is over, youll be able to buy 2nd hand e-bombs for 2 bob a kilo. In the last 5years I have had 115 ficht, 135 opti and 140 johnno/suuki 4stk. All these motors had between 5-700 hrs clocked up so I reckon Im free to say that 4stks are, in every respect the way to go. Whilst I appreciate that not everyone will wear this at the present time there is no way Id consider 2stk of any configuration. Current usage of My boat is around 100 hrs a month 300hr warranty would be real handy.

Jabba_
06-12-2008, 06:06 PM
18hrs to reply... That would be because I have been working...

I not sensitive at all Dean... If you ask my wife, she will tell you I'm a callus cold hearted bastard.... And yes I am very happy with my choice off motor...

4st thumper's a great... But that had to increase the CC's of the 4st to get similar to the 2st... That's why, 250 2st and 450 4st raced against each other in the same class..... Remember the 500cc 2st..... I had an old 1980 500cc Yamaha, apart from bad handling the thing was a rocket and it use to eat the Thumpers down the straights...... The demise off the 2st in the motoX scene is tthanks to the Californian EPA..... I personally prefer the thumpers over the 2st because they have a wider powerband and are more effective at getting the power to the ground....

But in no way can you relate that to a outboard motor.... If you can,, please, please, please explain why there are no 4st outboards in the racing scene,,, and why is it the E-tec are dominating the ski racing in Australia

And there you go again about the servicing period for the E-tec... Seriously, are you acting stupid or you are stupid??? because once again you are construing the E-tec servicing period the to suit your own argument.. But the reality is the E-tec will go 3y-300h before it needs a dealer service, and minor servicing by the owner in between the dealer services...

Dean if your so happy with your Yamaha, why do you get into these discussion and bag the E-tec... You don't see any E-tec, Opti or HPDI go bagging the 4st when you guys have a problem or ask a question relating to your 4st... Maybe you not happy with your choice motors...

disorderly
06-12-2008, 06:11 PM
In the last 5years I have had 115 ficht, 135 opti and 140 johnno/suuki 4stk. so I reckon Im free to say that 4stks are, in every respect the way to go.

But you have NEVER owned an E-tec..so what the hell are you on about,man...::)..

You are free to say whatever you want...but if you are talking out of your ass it gets quite boring...:P

siegfried
06-12-2008, 06:36 PM
::) spoken like a true ebomb zealot, Ive been in boats with em and they go good,unfoftunately lots of em appear to go good foor not long. Like I said muppet,wait till you try and sell it .And yes I have never owned one...to smart for that sonny.:-*

Jabba_
06-12-2008, 07:04 PM
::) spoken like a true ebomb zealot, Ive been in boats with em and they go good,unfoftunately lots of em appear to go good foor not long. Like I said muppet,wait till you try and sell it .And yes I have never owned one...to smart for that sonny.:-*

The E-tec has been around since 2004..... You would think they would be see a few second hands up for sale by now on boat point and trading post.. But nope, most owners who have them love them and won't let them go...

I use to have a Ficht 250 also.... The differance is night and day compared to the E-tec.....

For a self confessed smart fella,, your just another Parrot....

Vitamin Sea
06-12-2008, 07:37 PM
Getting a bit boring blokes, entertaining at times, but....................

2stroke, 4 stroke, who gives a shi$, if you are happy with what you got, peace be with you, but don't try to convince the ones on the other side, won't happen, each have advantages and disadvantages, just like boats.

Be cool

Cheers

VS

Wahoo
06-12-2008, 09:56 PM
seen a Verado get towed in today ;D;D;D

leezor
06-12-2008, 10:09 PM
seen a Verado get towed in today ;D;D;D

LOL, yeah right...your just saying that to make the Etec boys feel better ;)

disorderly
07-12-2008, 07:13 AM

Hmmm...if I looked upon boating as an investment then I'd pretty quickly sell the boat and buy my fish from the supermarket...::)

Yes.. you do appear to be a real smart man...just like all smart men who derive such strong opinions from never having had first hand experience...;);D..and then resort to name calling to try and win an argument...muppet...lol..love it....you're the man ::):P..

Dean1
07-12-2008, 12:13 PM
Jabba you are right in saying that the cc's have to be higher in a 4 stroke motorcrosser to match a 2 stroke for high reving performance.

I raced 125's for years some time ago ive owned 6 CR 125's. My brother has an 07 crf 250 (4 stroke) I currently have a 98 cr125 ( bought it for cheap thrills a year ago and selling for $2000 if anybody's keen its in great nick) and I raced him the other week and yes they were on par when 'into' them. But the crf has heaps more torque, much more usuable power and is definatly a faster bike when raced around a track, tight corners etc. due to the wide power spread. You have to wring the 125's neck to match it (on the clutch like no tommorow).

So if your after top end performance like race boats yes a 2 stroke will win hands down for that size cc. But im not into shear topend performance in my kc. If it was a race to the outer reef on a glassed out day yeah 2 strokes will kick arse, but if your after a motor that will pull you through the swells, seas without having to be on the throttles all the time then four strokes are a great option.

And arent etecs dearer to buy for the equivalent size motor compared to a 4 stroke?

I love stirring you up jabba you bite so well!!

Four strokes are definatly better for resale their just such a proven motor and reliable considering how many get sold in relation to how many have problems.

Stick with what serves you best and then youv only got yourself to blame if something goes wrong, and always be open to advice! ;D

bassfanatic5
07-12-2008, 05:34 PM
I recon it would be good for everyone to get together with a few cartons of beer and a couple of bottles of bundy:) , then we can have a peeing for distance comp:o and i recon we would argue over who pissed further and was it rum or beer. Would be as entertaining as this topic which has started to get boring over the years. But then the class clown allways repeats a one liner untill he stops getting laughs. Yep i have an etec and i love the motor, mates have etecs, mercury 2s and 4s, yamaha 2s and 4s, honda's, suzuki's and even tohatsu's , they all like their motors and we stopped knocken each other ages ago, matter of fact we even stopped having peeing for distance comps not long after we could legally drink. What we found was a good day out on the water with mates catching fish ( regardless of what boat or motor ) and a few beers around the fire at night:D is a lot more fun than a my slug is bigger than yours syndrome slugfest.

Cheers Damien;)

Dean1
07-12-2008, 05:34 PM
And I meant to add that my mates g'friend has a crf 150 ( 4 stroke) and it has truckloads more torque than my 125 its an amazing little bike!

Dean1
07-12-2008, 05:40 PM
Yeah its amazing what we do for kicks when the weather is crap and arent out wetting a line!

Lets start arguing about something else... Umm any suggestions?

Its all in good fun, I need a good trip offshore dunno bout you blokes. Anybody heard any decent reports from out the banks lately??

Time for a rum I say..

bassfanatic5
07-12-2008, 06:02 PM
Dean the only banks out this way are riverbanks and the one's that are strugglin to manage money. I envy you guys and gals that are close enough to the water to take advantage of a good day.

Cheers Damien

Dean1
07-12-2008, 06:14 PM
Dean the only banks out this way are riverbanks and the one's that are strugglin to manage money. I envy you guys and gals that are close enough to the water to take advantage of a good day.

Cheers Damien Yeah mate im an hour from the coast or 30 mins to bribie. Its far enough to be a mission driving home late at night after a big trip but could be worse like yourself ya poor bugger.

And then theres the guys lucky enough to be living right on the coast and have a 5 minute tow to the ramp. Thats my dream!!

One day... Thats what gets me outa bed in the morning, knowing one day I will be waking up up the coast 8-)

siegfried
07-12-2008, 06:52 PM
henceforth the etec owner , he shall becometh known as the" Gecko"- funny little fulla with thin skin;D

Wahoo
07-12-2008, 06:58 PM
I recon it would be good for everyone to get together with a few cartons of beer and a couple of bottles of bundy:) , then we can have a peeing for distance comp:o and i recon we would argue over who pissed further and was it rum or beer. Would be as entertaining as this topic which has started to get boring over the years. But then the class clown allways repeats a one liner untill he stops getting laughs. Yep i have an etec and i love the motor, mates have etecs, mercury 2s and 4s, yamaha 2s and 4s, honda's, suzuki's and even tohatsu's , they all like their motors and we stopped knocken each other ages ago, matter of fact we even stopped having peeing for distance comps not long after we could legally drink. What we found was a good day out on the water with mates catching fish ( regardless of what boat or motor ) and a few beers around the fire at night:D is a lot more fun than a my slug is bigger than yours syndrome slugfest.

Cheers Damien;)

LOL, very well said Damien, thanks

Daz

bassfanatic5
07-12-2008, 07:35 PM
henceforth the etec owner , he shall becometh known as the" Gecko"- funny little fulla with thin skin;D

Ahh another one liner from the class clown.;) This Gecko still got a laugh:P nearly hit the metre mark without any beer.

Jabba_
07-12-2008, 07:38 PM
Yeah mate im an hour from the coast or 30 mins to bribie. Its far enough to be a mission driving home late at night after a big trip but could be worse like yourself ya poor bugger.

And then theres the guys lucky enough to be living right on the coast and have a 5 minute tow to the ramp. Thats my dream!!

One day... Thats what gets me outa bed in the morning, knowing one day I will be waking up up the coast 8-)

Arrhh, that's why your always sticking me in the ribs... I knew it had to be more then just owning a E-tec.... Just let me confirm to you that yes, it is great lifestyle to live on the coast, be-it the Sunny or the Goldy. And not only do I have a boat ramp less then 5 Min's away, I have 2 within 1500m from from my drive way... Loaders Cr and The Grand...

finding_time
07-12-2008, 08:29 PM
Arrhh, that's why your always sticking me in the ribs... I knew it had to be more then just owning a E-tec.... Just let me confirm to you that yes, it is great lifestyle to live on the coast, be-it the Sunny or the Goldy. And not only do I have a boat ramp less then 5 Min's away, I have 2 within 1500m from from my drive way... Loaders Cr and The Grand...

Jabba!

Fishing is generally Cr@p on the Goldy! Your actually 2 hours from any decent boat ramp and i dont envy you one bit!!!

Ian

Jabba_
07-12-2008, 08:36 PM
Jabba!

Fishing is generally Cr@p on the Goldy! Your actually 2 hours from any decent boat ramp and i dont envy you one bit!!!

Ian
I'll give you that, fishing is not the best down this way... But there's nothing like knocking work early on Friday, and a hour later you can be at the 36's.. Just being on the water is good enough for me....

Dean1
07-12-2008, 08:59 PM
Well ill go one better I have my own boatramp on my own block of land up north ;)

Madaddy
07-12-2008, 10:08 PM
Amazing...how one simple question can lead to so much dribble!! It is like talking politics in a pub!!
I just sat here and read almost 10 pages of absolute crap about mines better then yours cos some shit kicker sold me this one so it is the best!!

The only reason the 4's were introduced is because of the "green" factor. the Euro specs for emissions. 90% of manufacturers said it will be a lot easier and cheaper to develop a 4 stoke with efi to meet the euro emission standards.
Part of one company realised that they had to make a stand and keep reality in it's place. So the engineers said Evinrude will carry the badge for this one. In the end they have proven that 2's can far better the standards than 90% of the 4's for emissions, and many other things that I can not quote, due to the amount of air heads here.
Honda's, Yammies, etc have already invested in promoting 4's far to early stating that they are the best of new technoligy. And do you think a manufacturer will renegg on what they have previously claimed??? Of course not, cos that would be pleading guilty to misleading information and cost them more.
Yes sure, there are great things about 4's and great things about 2's. But in reading all of these pages of utter wank stuff, there is NO mention of what is actually bad about etecs, and nothing was said proving the 4 stokes are better.
Some stated that the e-tec is a smelly 2 stroke? Well it mustn't have been an e-tec then!! More likely it was an old evinrude with pre-mix fuel!!
At least they had the balls to develop a platform of 2 stroke engine to meet the standards and not chicken out like the rest of them.

Kind of makes me want to go to all the forums on the web for the ones with 4 stroke issues and say "well you bought a 4 stroke, dunno what the problem is but you bought one"

Personally, I love both formats of engines, the quieter they are, and smoother they are the better. I would love to upgrade my old '92 model Johno to something more comfortable, but the old girl doesn't miss a beat, and I can't afford some little dick V8 sounding 4 stroker, or an e-ver trusty and reliable new e-tec.
Heck I can't afford a "one days pay" service of...what was it??...$500?..every 6 months or so that the 4's require!!!

It is also a great point about the resale value.

Did you notice that the 4s owners are concerned about trying to recover some of their losses in the near future by asking about "re-sale value" or trying to mantain value?

And as mentioned nobody wants to sell their e-tec cos they are to good to let go, so no resale value is a worry to the owners, cos they already have a top engine that will last for many many many many many years and no "re-sale" is required.

At least in the end, we all get to go fishing,...or do we??...here we go...no we cant, cos the greenies have got us there too!!!
Let's start talking about which motor fails due to lack of use, lol.
Or which beer do you like to drink while playing a fishing game on x box and Wii...XXXX or VB?
Righto...Tell me to shut up now......Thanks for the entertaining read guys...

That's my 2 beers worth.....

finding_time
07-12-2008, 10:59 PM
Amazing...how one simple question can lead to so much dribble!!..

And it's amazing how much you just added to the pile!!!!;) what a load of uninformed S..T!!!!;) :-X

Ian

BrenMac
08-12-2008, 04:31 AM
And it's amazing how much you just added to the pile!!!!;) what a load of uninformed S..T!!!!;) :-X

Ian

;D ;D

Cheers
Brendan

Spaniard_King
08-12-2008, 06:50 AM
Kind of makes me want to go to all the forums on the web for the ones with 4 stroke issues and say "well you bought a 4 stroke, dunno what the problem is but you bought one"

And the what would you say to the guys with Etec problems::)

Suppose there has to be one clown in every bunch! you certainly get the big red nose here:P

Noelm
08-12-2008, 07:07 AM
geees Monday morning and it is still raging, AAHH I love the smell of an E-tec in the Morning!

Dean1
08-12-2008, 07:21 AM
Amazing...how one simple question can lead to so much dribble!! It is like talking politics in a pub!!
I just sat here and read almost 10 pages of absolute crap about mines better then yours cos some shit kicker sold me this one so it is the best!!

The only reason the 4's were introduced is because of the "green" factor. the Euro specs for emissions. 90% of manufacturers said it will be a lot easier and cheaper to develop a 4 stoke with efi to meet the euro emission standards.
Part of one company realised that they had to make a stand and keep reality in it's place. So the engineers said Evinrude will carry the badge for this one. In the end they have proven that 2's can far better the standards than 90% of the 4's for emissions, and many other things that I can not quote, due to the amount of air heads here.
Honda's, Yammies, etc have already invested in promoting 4's far to early stating that they are the best of new technoligy. And do you think a manufacturer will renegg on what they have previously claimed??? Of course not, cos that would be pleading guilty to misleading information and cost them more.
Yes sure, there are great things about 4's and great things about 2's. But in reading all of these pages of utter wank stuff, there is NO mention of what is actually bad about etecs, and nothing was said proving the 4 stokes are better.
Some stated that the e-tec is a smelly 2 stroke? Well it mustn't have been an e-tec then!! More likely it was an old evinrude with pre-mix fuel!!
At least they had the balls to develop a platform of 2 stroke engine to meet the standards and not chicken out like the rest of them.

Personally, I love both formats of engines, the quieter they are, and smoother they are the better. I would love to upgrade my old '92 model Johno to something more comfortable, but the old girl doesn't miss a beat, and I can't afford some little dick V8 sounding 4 stroker, or an e-ver trusty and reliable new e-tec.
Heck I can't afford a "one days pay" service of...what was it??...$500?..every 6 months or so that the 4's require!!!

Did you notice that the 4s owners are concerned about trying to recover some of their losses in the near future by asking about "re-sale value" or trying to mantain value?

And as mentioned nobody wants to sell their e-tec cos they are to good to let go, so no resale value is a worry to the owners, cos they already have a top engine that will last for many many many many many years and no "re-sale" is required.

At least in the end, we all get to go fishing,...or do we??...here we go...no we cant, cos the greenies have got us there too!!!
Or which beer do you like to drink while playing a fishing game on x box and Wii...XXXX or VB?

That's my 2 beers worth..... Im lost for words with this one... Have another beer or something mate :-/

lee8sec
08-12-2008, 07:25 AM
Damm 2 stroke fumes, now look what they have caused. Leigh

disorderly
08-12-2008, 08:12 AM
Must be a full moon soon I think....::)

sea raider
08-12-2008, 09:03 AM
I know etecs still require some form of servicing every year.

Where the hell did you get that crap from????

Invent it??????

Got told it by a bloke down the pub????????

Listened to some 4 stroke "expert" on here??????????

Wherever it came from, it is typical of the misinformed crap that some people post here.

business class
08-12-2008, 10:14 AM
Jabba!

Ian

Hey>:( Thats a bit of a harsh comment Ian, The fishing aint that bad on the coast, come on!!!!!!! i think what it comes down to, is they just need to learn how to fish;D (not pointed at you just mean in general), as most people will just go out and bottom bash with a crusty old half pillie and expect to catch a decent snapper, and it just won't happen. Remember 10% of fisherman Catch 90% of the fish....... :D :P

Cheers
Matty

business class
08-12-2008, 10:16 AM

That's my 2 beers worth.....

Now for all you kids out there that are reading this post, This is why your mum and dad tell you NOT TO TAKE DRUGS!!!!:P :D

MATTY

finding_time
08-12-2008, 11:19 AM

Invent it??????

Wherever it came from, it is typical of the misinformed crap that some people post here.

So you dont grease your motor at all? You dont pull the prop of and check for line? You dont check the gear box oil for water intrusion? You do none of these thing for 300hrs, you have got to be kidding!!!!!::) You dont need to own a four stroke to have common sense!;)

Ian

finding_time
08-12-2008, 11:26 AM
Hey>:( Thats a bit of a harsh comment Ian, The fishing aint that bad on the coast, come on!!!!!!! i think what it comes down to, is they just need to learn how to fish;D (not pointed at you just mean in general), as most people will just go out and bottom bash with a crusty old half pillie and expect to catch a decent snapper, and it just won't happen. Remember 10% of fisherman Catch 90% of the fish....... :D :P

Cheers
Matty

Hey Matty

Mate i live i brisbane and can go either way to fish and have plenty of ground off the GC but given a choice i'll pick the sunshine coast for bottom fishing everyday of the week , to many options and differant species , saying that though you guys did have a good snapper season this year. As far as trolling goes the GC is great and i travel to where ever the reports are good!

ian

Ps. My biggest snapper came from the 100m line off the tweed, i was fishing with Garry that day , so the coast ain't all that bad;)

disorderly
08-12-2008, 11:35 AM
So you dont grease your motor at all? You dont pull the prop of and check for line? You dont check the gear box oil for water intrusion? You do none of these thing for 300hrs, you have got to be kidding!!!!!::) You dont need to own a four stroke to have common sense!;)

Ian

Ian,I think you are getting regular or routine maintenance confused with a"scheduled service"..this is old ground..been covered before ....you must be running out of idea's,man..::)

finga
08-12-2008, 11:38 AM
I'm just sorry I have a bladder problem and can't pee far at all http://www.smileyhut.com/silly/urinal.gif
http://www.smileyhut.com/sad/cry2.gif

business class
08-12-2008, 12:16 PM
Hey Matty

Mate i live i brisbane and can go either way to fish and have plenty of ground off the GC but given a choice i'll pick the sunshine coast for bottom fishing everyday of the week , to many options and differant species , saying that though you guys did have a good snapper season this year. As far as trolling goes the GC is great and i travel to where ever the reports are good!

ian

Ps. My biggest snapper came from the 100m line off the tweed, i was fishing with Garry that day , so the coast ain't all that bad;)

See now that post was better;). I will have to agree with you though, if i could go fish the barwons i would aswell as its ment to be unreal fishing there, assumeing thats were you mean as its the only place up there i know .

And as for your PB snapper with gary::) that doesn't surprise me, as all the big fish for some reason hang around that god damn eden craft>:( , but what else do you expect when he gets half pillies and small slimies painted on the bottom of his hull :P what chance do the rest of us have;) ;)

Cheers
Matty

finding_time
08-12-2008, 12:51 PM
Ian,I think you are getting regular or routine maintenance confused with a"scheduled service"..this is old ground..been covered before ....you must be running out of idea's,man..::)

Dean said they still require "SOME" form of servicing!!! The above are Some form of servicing !!!!;) It's Sea Raider that is running out of idea's!:)

business class
08-12-2008, 01:49 PM
The way E-tec are going with there constant repairs happening before there 1st due service time, It won't be long till they will be forced to stop the scheduled service time of 3 years and bring out a Scheduled repair time;) say maybe every 20 hrs:P :P :D ........... Nibble Nibble.............

Mindi
08-12-2008, 02:17 PM
I dont know why I read this stupid stupid thread..? I just cant help myself....its like a moth drawn to a flame......I need to get a life...!...good grief

business class
08-12-2008, 02:21 PM
Please correct me if i am wrong, but if an E-tec are the best going around, why do they only give 3 years or 300hrs warranty:-/ as most keen guys will do that 300hrs in 2 years.:o So really, there more for the average fisherman who hardly goes out?

sea raider
08-12-2008, 02:56 PM

Ian

Ian,I think you are getting regular or routine maintenance confused with a"scheduled service"..this is old ground..been covered before ....you must be running out of idea's,man..

Dean said they still require "SOME" form of servicing!!! The above are Some form of servicing !!!!;) It's Sea Raider that is running out of idea's!

If Dean meant that preventative maintenance means 'scheduled service", then I apologise, of course you do those things.

However, for him to read preventative maintenance as sceduled serving would mean that he reads things into the wrtten word even worse than my wife does.

Running out of ideas is still a lot better than having no f&*^ing idea..........

finding_time
08-12-2008, 03:23 PM
I know etecs still require some form of servicing every year. I think that etecs are just too overpriced and overrated for what they are even if they claim they dont need servicing for 3 years which is a load of bullsh!t. If you went 3 years without any form of service, maintence then youv got rocks in your'e head.

Cheers, Deano.

Sea Raider

Where in the above statement Dean mention scheduled servicing! He just said they need some form of servicing every year !!! And they do;) , you can call it preventitive maintenance if you want but it still servicing the outboard! AND ONLY A FOOL WOULD NOT DO IT! Now i dont know how badly your wife reads the written word but from where i'm sitting your no better with your interpretation mate!;)

Ian

siegfried
08-12-2008, 04:00 PM
Just heard the insurgency in Iraq has ended, apparently George dubya threatend to drop E tecs on em ;D ;D ;D

samson
08-12-2008, 04:49 PM
Business class you spend more time fishing out shit than pulling the things in must have an office job hey, don't worry mate i'll catch a few for ya.

As far as 300hrs or 3 years or what comes first, i no what comes first on my boat but commercals guy's get 700 hrs warranty because they burn the hours quick which i don't think too many other brands would honour,i even got warranty service up to 850 hrs on my last e-tec.

Go catch some fish will ya, Cheers samson

Dean1
08-12-2008, 05:17 PM

Invent it??????

Wherever it came from, it is typical of the misinformed crap that some people post here. Sea Raider i was talking about greasing, checking things, and if you wanted your motor to last you then well change the gearbox oil.

Just a bit of love and care for your'e investment as it goes if you look after your motor it will look after you. I know if I owned an etec I wouldnt be ignoring it for 3 years, No motor and especially one that runs in saltwater should be used for 3 years without any form of maintenance.

If you etec boys wanna run your donks with no attention for 3 years coz the magical '3 year' service will fix all things( so one believes) then go for it, but once its out of warranty and things start playing up and self destructing dont come running back here asking 'why has motor done this or that!'

Thats what I meant 'sea raider' ::)

chop duster
08-12-2008, 05:33 PM
samson, so what did you have to have fixed @ 850 hrs? or did i mis-understand that

samson
08-12-2008, 05:53 PM
Chop duster i had a faulty fuel pump and had some probs with starting first go so needed upgrading the data.
Also had a faulty injector at about 900hrs and they replaced the whole four for free as an incentive with a big price drop on a 150 so i would stay loyal so i couldn't refuse no four stroke companies would come to the party like that, that i've seen.

Though i might give 4's a go to see if their customer relations are up to scratch eventually. But i've been loyal to evinrude for more than thirty years now.

chop duster
08-12-2008, 06:11 PM
Yer it is unbelievable how much advertising evinrude is doing (sponsorship, adverts, brochures etc..). Never seen anything like it, not to mention how bloody sick of it I am.
Looks as though they are really trying to get the comercial blokes on board as well (some of the best publicity available).

lippa
08-12-2008, 06:17 PM

So whooooo's the evinrude engineer proudly wearing the FICHT badge?::) ;D :P

and by the sounds of it evinrude are the only ones with a DI 2 banger::) ::)

ya dont hear the vmax and opti guys, hell even the tohatsu guys pounding there meat.:o i think it was bombardiers marketing with etec, that made all the 4s boys, call them for wank engines...................
if i was into ski racing, i'd seriously look at one, and get it serviced, scheduled or not.
but i'm a fat lazy beer swilling fisherman who loves his HONDA. and watches his mate change the oil, (with out spilling a drop) every 50 odd hrs.

enjoy

lippa

disorderly
08-12-2008, 06:24 PM
Sea Raider i was talking about greasing, checking things, and if you wanted your motor to last you then well change the gearbox oil.

Just a bit of love and care for your'e investment as it goes if you look after your motor it will look after you. I know if I owned an etec I wouldnt be ignoring it for 3 years, No motor and especially one that runs in saltwater should be used for 3 years without any form of maintenance.

If you etec boys wanna run your donks with no attention for 3 years coz the magical '3 year' service will fix all things( so one believes) then go for it, but once its out of warranty and things start playing up and self destructing dont come running back here asking 'why has motor done this or that!'

Are you just thick or something,Dean....:-/

Neither Sea Raider or anybody else has suggested that the E-Tecs require no preventative maintenance so what the hell are you on about...

You blokes just keep on making up totally false claims ...

Bit of sh!t stirring is funny... but the totally uninformed BS from you and your ilk is just plain stupid ...

Just for kicks can you tell me why I should have changed my plugs 170 hours ago when they are still running fine...
Why should I have paid through the nose and had a specialist change my gearbox oil when there is no water in it and looks just fine too...

Honestly a 2 stroke is a very simple machine and with regular preventative maintenance should run for many 100's of hours with very little dealer input...but then again I admire your efforts to keep the marine industry afloat and paying exorbitant money to marine mechanics to service and replace things that often don't need replacing..good onya mate...;)

Scott

Jabba_
08-12-2008, 06:26 PM
Ian and Dean, totally agree with what you are saying in regards to preventive maintenance on the E-tec..... But I have a question for you, and it's not bait... Do you guys do any preventive maintenance on your motors in between your 100hr services.....

I know I would, if I owned any motor, be-it a 4st or 2st.. I just like to keep my gear in tip top condition.....

For the record I gave my E-tec the once over last weekend, and I cleaned out my tank and replaced all my fuel lines and filters, hand pump, and cleaned the bilge this weekend just gone... Why?...... Why not. The boat is 5yo, and the tank and lines have probably never been cleaned or replaced, and with the way fuel is these days (Dodgy),, I thought it was a good idea to do some preventive maintenance...

Next weekend I be replacing the gearbox oil......

finga
08-12-2008, 06:26 PM
i'm a fat lazy beer swilling fisherman who loves his HONDA. and watches his mate change the oil, (with out spilling a drop) every 50 odd hrs.

enjoy

lippa
Bugger. I wasted a bottle of the finest green death on you :'(

lippa
08-12-2008, 06:48 PM
the green death resulted in one fantastic hang over thanks finga!!!!!!
you should have told me not drink a carton of beer and a bottle of rum with it!!!!!!

Luxyboy
08-12-2008, 06:49 PM
Why should I have paid through the nose and had a specialist change my gearbox oil when there is no water in it and looks just fine too...
Scott

Scott you seriously need to research oil and it's additives if you think that you can tell oil is good by looking at it.
I am not trying to paint a target on myself and join the queue to be flamed, but seriously look into it for your own sake.
Also I am not saying pay a mechanic heaps to do it, if you have the nous to do it then do it some people just can't.

Cheers,
Brad

Wahoo
08-12-2008, 06:56 PM
Do you guys do any preventive maintenance on your motors in between your 100hr services.....

i do;D
my oils and filter every 50hrs
fuel filters x 3, every 50hrs, and what ever else needs to be done, so in 3yrs i go thru a bit of oil me thinks;D;D;D

disorderly
08-12-2008, 07:19 PM
i do;D
my oils and filter every 50hrs
fuel filters x 3, every 50hrs, and what ever else needs to be done, so in 3yrs i go thru a bit of oil me thinks;D;D;D

Daz,that's OK for you wealthy tradies but what about us humble farmers...:-/;);D..50 hrs ..thats about 4 trips for me ..no way would I consider that schedule..whatever the motor...:-/

-
}

Greg P
08-12-2008, 07:40 PM
Can we change the subject :-X:-X:-X

Oppsss how many is this now???

http://www.westernangler.com.au/forum/upfiles/88/0149CF1C500246DEB20131453070537C.jpg

Wahoo
08-12-2008, 07:48 PM
Daz,that's OK for you wealthy tradies but what about us humble farmers...:-/;);D..50 hrs ..thats about 4 trips for me ..no way would I consider that schedule..whatever the motor...:-/

-
}

Scott, took me 12months to get 50hrs up, extra $120 odd in 12months not bad

daz

chop duster
08-12-2008, 07:50 PM
the name might give a hint to the conditions?
this looks interesting

Wahoo
08-12-2008, 07:51 PM
what happened with that boat Greg?

Daz

disorderly
08-12-2008, 08:03 PM
Can we change the subject :-X:-X:-X

Oppsss how many is this now???

http://www.westernangler.com.au/forum/upfiles/88/0149CF1C500246DEB20131453070537C.jpg

Unfortunately,Greg that's what seems to happens when you put Etecs on the back of a cat ...they just cant handle the power..;);D

Scott, took me 12months to get 50hrs up, extra $120 odd in 12months not bad

daz

Daz, it was a crap year weatherwise but I'm sure you are making up time now...but you are doing a fifty hour service cause you love the motor not cause it really needs it..surely..:-/

Scott

Greg P
08-12-2008, 08:09 PM
Daz - it's just for comical relief. All seems to be getting too serious in this thread.

Dont know exactly - it is from the WAngler Forum but the story seems a little odd. Might have hit a sandbank, may have been turning at speed who knows but a good pic anyway. Pretty safe to say it would be driver error.

Wahoo
08-12-2008, 08:41 PM
Ha ha, I just had a blond moment Greg

Scott, nah dont need it, Verado is still every 100hr, 10months ago i scored shit loads of oil and filters and filters and more filters, loaded it in the back of a mates caddie (he ownes his own shipping container) the freight only cost me a $70 bottle of port

Daz`

Dean1
08-12-2008, 09:10 PM

Neither Sea Raider or anybody else has suggested that the E-Tecs require no preventative maintenance so what the hell are you on about...

Bit of sh!t stirring is funny... but the totally uninformed BS from you and your ilk is just plain stupid ...

Just for kicks can you tell me why I should have changed my plugs 170 hours ago when they are still running fine...

Honestly a 2 stroke is a very simple machine and with regular preventative maintenance should run for many 100's of hours with very little dealer input...but then again I admire your efforts to keep the marine industry afloat and paying exorbitant money to marine mechanics to service and replace things that often don't need replacing..good onya mate...;)

Scott Thick ey! Gee very inspiring words there scott. You know i actually considered etecs when I upgraded but im pretty well turned off em now after strugglers like yourself make such remarks.

Who's the thick one here!? Did I mention plugs! No! You musn't be the sharpest tool in the shed if you require a 'specialst' to change your'e gearbox oil.

As for 'paying through the nose' or 'paying exorbitant money' or 'efforts to keep the marine industry afloat' ive NEVER had a marine shop service my motors and never will, i use mobile mechanics and always will!

I know a 2 stroke is a very simple machine ive owned many of them.

No false claims here scott just amused at how sensitive you blokes are, You keep telling yourself you know best ;) Oh yeah and how does it go..good onya mate...;)

Dean1
08-12-2008, 09:11 PM

Scott Thick ey! Gee very inspiring words there scott. You know i actually considered etecs when I upgraded but im pretty well turned off em now after strugglers like yourself make such remarks.

Who's the thick one here!? Did I mention plugs! No! You musn't be the sharpest tool in the shed if you require a 'specialst' to change your'e gearbox oil.

As for 'paying through the nose' or 'paying exorbitant money' or 'efforts to keep the marine industry afloat' ive NEVER had a marine shop service my motors and never will, i use mobile mechanics and always will!

No false claims here scott just amused at how sensitive you blokes are, You keep telling yourself you know best ;) Oh yeah and how does it go..good onya mate...;)

Dean1
08-12-2008, 09:33 PM
Ian and Dean, totally agree with what you are saying in regards to preventive maintenance on the E-tec..... But I have a question for you, and it's not bait... Do you guys do any preventive maintenance on your motors in between your 100hr services.....

I know I would, if I owned any motor, be-it a 4st or 2st.. I just like to keep my gear in tip top condition.....

For the record I gave my E-tec the once over last weekend, and I cleaned out my tank and replaced all my fuel lines and filters, hand pump, and cleaned the bilge this weekend just gone... Why?...... Why not. The boat is 5yo, and the tank and lines have probably never been cleaned or replaced, and with the way fuel is these days (Dodgy),, I thought it was a good idea to do some preventive maintenance...

Next weekend I be replacing the gearbox oil...... Good reply Jabba, i get my motors serviced yearly as i usually dont normally rack up 100hrs before the years up. And the way im going with my new motors ive only done 25hrs in 5 months, i thought you had more time working for yourself what a joke!

I always do usual inspections and check things out. Youv done well with the work on yours last w'end, changing the box oil is a gr8 idea ;) Cheers..

disorderly
08-12-2008, 09:40 PM
Hi Jabba! Jabba I get my motors serviced once a year or 100hrs by a 'man'. 1 service = about $500. $500= 1 days work for me. Pretty cool huh!

Bit hard to keep up with you Dean...story changes each post..::)

And nobody especially me ..has claimed to know everything or "knows best"or claimed that Etecs can go 3 years without maintenance or any other ridiculous nonsense...

It's just another motor ...the only drama I've ever had with it is people that have never had one, criticizing it...::)

Seriously...mid next year my guarantee will expire but I've had not a single hiccup with the motor...I cant make any grand claims except that the motor has given me 230 odd hours of trouble free fishing ...and has cost me nothing in servicing and less than $200 bucks in oil ..what more could I ask for...:)...

It also was the only new tech motor..out of both 2 stroke DI or 4 stroke which was light enough to fit to my old boat..

Scott

Vitamin Sea
08-12-2008, 10:00 PM
So whooooo's the evinrude engineer proudly wearing the FICHT badge?::) ;D :P

and by the sounds of it evinrude are the only ones with a DI 2 banger::) ::)

ya dont hear the vmax and opti guys, hell even the tohatsu guys pounding there meat.:o i think it was bombardiers marketing with etec, that made all the 4s boys, call them for wank engines...................
if i was into ski racing, i'd seriously look at one, and get it serviced, scheduled or not.
but i'm a fat lazy beer swilling fisherman who loves his HONDA. and watches his mate change the oil, (with out spilling a drop) every 50 odd hrs.

enjoy

lippa

Cheers to that Lippa, may have a bit of a pound, funny stuff

finding_time
08-12-2008, 11:41 PM

Jabba

I dont and for this reason, in the next 4 months i'll do over 300 engine hrs maybe much more and i'll get the motors serviced at 150 hr intervals ( Not 50 hrs or 100 hrs as many people state over and over again) Now the motors have just been serviced so that's 3 services in 4 months , not alot of need for any other maintenance other than check for line, and inox a few things.

Now these services wont cost me $500 per motor either( really some of you people carry on about the costs of outboard servicing) If i owned 2 e-tecs i would have had 2 services carried out instead of 3( one now and one in four months) so i would save one set of service costs! ( around $500 for both motors) Now you e-tec experts can help me out, how much oil would i use in 2x 60hp motors over a 300 engine hr period running at 2200 rpm for 90% of the time and 4800 for the remain 10% of the time?

Now times that amount of oil by the cost per litre and subtract that from the $500 for my extra service and you have the differance in running my motors over the summer( well pretend they use the same amount of fuel to help you out;D ). I bet you it's not much! Any my way i dont have to put up with that stink that comes for them whilst i'm trolling all day!

Ian

Ps dont try and say they dont smell , because they do . Every times one of my mates was down wind of me 2 weeks ago running his e-tec i could smell him,;) even when he was well down wind!:o

siegfried
09-12-2008, 06:32 AM
Bit hard to keep up with you Dean...story changes each post..::)

And nobody especially me ..has claimed to know everything or "knows best"or claimed that Etecs can go 3 years without maintenance or any other ridiculous nonsense...

It's just another motor ...the only drama I've ever had with it is people that have never had one, criticizing it...::)

Seriously...mid next year my guarantee will expire but I've had not a single hiccup with the motor...I cant make any grand claims except that the motor has given me 230 odd hours of trouble free fishing ...and has cost me nothing in servicing and less than $200 bucks in oil ..what more could I ask for...:)...

It also was the only new tech motor..out of both 2 stroke DI or 4 stroke which was light enough to fit to my old boat..

Scott
Let us know how its goin at 2300 hrs willya...My offer at 2bob a kilo still stands

disorderly
09-12-2008, 07:39 AM
Let us know how its goin at 2300 hrs willya...My offer at 2bob a kilo still stands

I'm not particularly worried what happens 20 years down the track..

1lastcast
09-12-2008, 08:09 AM
Quick all you e-tec owners sim`s metal just put there price up for scrap metal cash in while you can !!!!!!!!!!!!! ;D

Noelm
09-12-2008, 08:21 AM
jesus, then all you 4 stroke owners had better sell them, because they are just so much heavier!! you might just get enough cash to put a deposit on a "proper" Outboard, that is unless your "car" engine has not corroded away!

business class
09-12-2008, 09:45 AM
Business class you spend more time fishing out shit than pulling the things in must have an office job hey, don't worry mate i'll catch a few for ya.

As far as 300hrs or 3 years or what comes first, i no what comes first on my boat but commercals guy's get 700 hrs warranty because they burn the hours quick which i don't think too many other brands would honour,i even got warranty service up to 850 hrs on my last e-tec.

Go catch some fish will ya, Cheers samson

Hey! be nice, as my office job might come in handy for you soon. ;)
And as for that last comment, i think all that circle work you do and those 2 stroke fumes, has sent you bloody loopy.:P

Don't worry mate ill sort you out next time, and we will get some decent engines on the arse end hey;) ;) .

P.S my office job is that good, ill see you in the morning;D !!!

Cheers
Matty

finding_time
09-12-2008, 10:43 AM
jesus, then all you 4 stroke owners had better sell them, because they are just so much heavier!! !

Sooo much heavier hey!!!:o

A 60 e-tec with 20 inch leg is 109 kg

A yami 60 4 stroke with 20 leg is 115kg

A mercury 4 is 112kg;)

Yep the 4 stroke is SOOOOOOOOOOO much heavier!:o ::) Now lets examine what you get for that extra 6kg! Well to start with you get twice as many cylinders;) the 60 e-tec has only 2 and the yami 4 has, you guessed it 4:D the E-tec is only 863cc where the yami 4 is 996cc!

now i dont no about you noel but for me it's no contest i'll take the yami over the e-tec, your sure get alot of value in that extra 6kg

Ian

Ps Again let me state, in each hp range there is always one or two standout performers these can be 4's or 2's and can be any brand. Your best bet is to decide on your hp for the boat then go looking for the right motor regardless of make! As the above figures show you would be nuts to get an e-tec over the yami in the 60 hp but if i was repowering with a 90 hp ,the e-tec would be right in the mix ( if i could stand the smell;D )

Noelm
09-12-2008, 10:52 AM
hey, I really don't care who has what Motor, I was just throwing some wood on the fire to keep it raging, I just thought someone would hit the rev limiter faster than a 2 stroke with a spun prop!

siegfried
09-12-2008, 11:49 AM
I'm not particularly worried what happens 20 years down the track..
100 hrs ayear :o spose then you know all there is to know:-*

sea raider
09-12-2008, 11:56 AM
Sea Raider i was talking about greasing, checking things, and if you wanted your motor to last you then well change the gearbox oil.

Where and when did I mention that I didn't or haven't done preventative maintenance, of course I do that, who wouldn't?

As usual, you 4 strokers are making unsubstantiated assumptions to suit your own purposes.

Let it be known from here on, that if i refer to servicing my E-Tec, I am refering to the Scheduled Servicing as referred to in the user manual. If I refer to Preventative Maintenance, I am referring to the ongoing maintenance required to keep my outbord in tip top condition which includes greasing the steering arm regularly, the propellor comes off after every trip, flushed via the flushing port and muffs every trip, cleaned externally after every trip, the cowling and the rest of the motor is waxed about every 6 months and the whole thing is kept covered by an OCA cover when not in use.

So, 'Dean1', stop assuming that myself and all other E-tec owners ignore the well being of our motors and that we dont know what the hell we're talking about, they should get just as much TLC as every other motor should get.

For the record, my motor is coming up to three years and I have not changed the gearbox oil. I also own a 20HP Yamaha on my tinnie and it gets a gearbox oil change annually.

chop duster
09-12-2008, 12:04 PM
so how many hours have you got on yours, sea raider?

sea raider
09-12-2008, 01:05 PM
so how many hours have you got on yours, sea raider?

Good question Chop!

Hasn't been used as much as I would have liked over the last 12 months, crap weather etc.

Probably about 150 hrs, I dont log it like I probably should.

Cheers

Noelm
09-12-2008, 01:09 PM
OK then, lets just do a quick test, who has the most hours on their OWN Boat, no pro fishers or charter operators allowed, and only mention of 2 or 4 stoke, no brands OK? they must be hour meter hours, not guesstimate!

siegfried
09-12-2008, 01:21 PM
Im starting to feel guilty about some of the mean things Ive been saying here .For the record my poptimax 135 started to play up at 700hrs cost $1000 bucks a time with sensors etc apparently failing-couldnt wait to get rid of the bar$%ed no real dramas with the ficht 115 other than typical noise poor economy smoke and stuff all resale.....so I am not racist ..I hate all DI 2bangers ;D (800 hrs on 140 johnno no wuckas8-) )

finding_time
09-12-2008, 01:28 PM
I've 743hrs on my 4's and 550 of those have been in the last 19 months!

Ian

cormorant
09-12-2008, 01:33 PM
OK then, lets just do a quick test, who has the most hours on their OWN Boat, no pro fishers or charter operators allowed, and only mention of 2 or 4 stoke, no brands OK? they must be hour meter hours, not guesstimate!

Include them as well just a side note next to them as they don't generally suffer the corrosion issues others will at the same hours.

2 X 2 stroke 1360
2 x diesel - you wouldn't want to know
4 stroke - my lawnmower doesn't have an hour guage - does it count?

I'm not sure I get what your point is going to be Noel??

Noelm
09-12-2008, 01:37 PM
no real point, it just seems that there is a lot of "see me in 1,000 hours" "20 years down the track" it offers no real benefit at all, just something else to carry on about, but it must be your own Motor, not your mates uncles hairdressers or something OK?

Noelm
09-12-2008, 01:40 PM
OH, I forgot my own 2 X 2 Stroke 2,340 hours after 8 years. but I would be happy to try a couple of new 4 strokes to see how long they will last!

chop duster
09-12-2008, 02:16 PM
so noelm you have 2340 hours on a pair of FICHTS?
why not state brand, model and year as well, much more informative.

myself: 250hp 05' verado, 510hrs, minimal problems.

business class
09-12-2008, 02:35 PM
06 model Suzuki 140hp 4 banger with 550hrs and no problems as yet (touch Wood) ;D

PS. Noelm how many rebuilds, major repairs or new lungs :P :P ..........nibble nibble..........

Noelm
09-12-2008, 02:51 PM
nope, no rebuilds, nothing major at all, 2000 models, only drama was a dickey oil sensor connector giving a flase no alarm about a year ago, have not done a compression test for yonks, don't want to scare myself, but they still go fine, start OK and are not rusted to bits, so as far as I can see, I would get them again if I had the money and they still made them, equally I would buy a yamaha/Honda/Suzuki 4 stroke as well, don't really care on brand or operating principal.

troy
09-12-2008, 07:19 PM
Why argue over what brand of motor you have or what some one else has.
Just be happy that you can afford and run one in these uncertain times as a lot of people would just be happy if they could afford a boat -motor and trailer- no matter what brand it is.
Troy

Jabba_
09-12-2008, 07:20 PM
so noelm you have 2340 hours on a pair of FICHTS?
why not state brand, model and year as well, much more informative.

myself: 250hp 05' verado, 510hrs, minimal problems.
Chopper, what do you call minimal problems.. Sensor gone or remap, ect..

Myself.
85hrs, 2st. New injector and EMM a 20hrs... Since then it has ran better for the last 65hrs then it did for the first 20hrs...

Dan5
09-12-2008, 07:38 PM
I myself had a Suzi bf70 2000 model which i used for guiding and put 47oo odd hours on it,the only drama's i had in that time were......rectfiyer/regulator replaced........top gearbox seal went at 1500 and again at 3500.........trim/tilt solenoid at about 1000 and wore out the throttle lever at about 2500 hrs also had the skeg re-welded on about 3 time's due to rockbars etc.

I did'nt include thing's like impellor's,water pump housing's and had the timing belt changed at arond the 2000 hr mark.

There are quiet a few of the 70hp suzies with big hour's on them here in Darwin as they are fairly popular with the pro mackral fishermen.

iceknight
09-12-2008, 09:57 PM
70 hp 2strk 1998 with over 1000 hours, and still got 130psi compression per cyc (warm test).. always runs quicksilver oil....

how long it shall last from here is anyones guess......

I hope to upgrade and give someone else the problems that its bound to have in up comming years...

wiz
09-12-2008, 10:23 PM
70 hp 2strk 1998 with over 1000 hours, and still got 130psi compression per cyc (warm test).. always runs quicksilver oil....

how long it shall last from here is anyones guess......

I hope to upgrade and give someone else the problems that its bound to have in up comming years...

Thats nice that you would like to see someone else have the problems its bound to have.

Wahoo
10-12-2008, 05:16 AM

yep, you sell it, and as you stated before, you will one day see it broken down, and you wont stop to see if they need help!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!good one...................

TheRealAndy
10-12-2008, 05:33 AM
Damn this thread is big. I have a 50hp 4banger with 520 hours on it. Bought it around 6-7 months ago with 400 on the clock.

TheRealAndy
10-12-2008, 05:46 AM
just to make a point here, there is nothing at all to stop me from posting something like "I was at the ramp yesterday, and I saw 2 Yamaha 4 strokes with blown power heads" the Yamaha/Honda/Suzuki guy was saying that there is major problems with them!! now none of that is true, but it would make for some very angry owners, some of whom may just take it as truth! not to mention the tirade of of "I have had a xxx for years and it is great".

Ha. nice one Noelm. Point is if you said that you saw some Yam's blown up at the most Yam owners would not give a shit because they simple dont care! No motor is exempt from breakdowns.

However if you said you saw an ETEC blown up there would be mob of angry etec owners saying that they are a fantastic motor and there is nothing worng with them, whilst the rest of us just say 'Oh well, shit happens'8-)

fRuItCaKe
10-12-2008, 06:09 AM
Well...I am an E-Tec owner and I'd be saying "shit happens" too.

I just cannot understand why people are so down on these engines. Mine has been faultless.

I have, personally, ZERO brand loyalty, be it boats, cars or any equipment.

If it works, use it, if it doesn't replace it. I guess this comes from my instrumentation background. If an instrument fails, replace it with something that does the job regardless of brand.

And personally the people who post with comments like "Yamacrap, E-bomb, Tocrapsu" etc either need to grow up or get back into their cot with dummy and bonnet. You are not helpful.

TheRealAndy
10-12-2008, 06:15 AM
Well...I am an E-Tec owner and I'd be saying "shit happens" too.

I just cannot understand why people are so down on these engines. Mine has been faultless.

I have, personally, ZERO brand loyalty, be it boats, cars or any equipment.

If it works, use it, if it doesn't replace it. I guess this comes from my instrumentation background. If an instrument fails, replace it with something that does the job regardless of brand.

And personnaly the people who post with comments like "Yamacrap, E-bomb, Tocrapsu" etc either need to grow up or get back into their cot with dummy and bonnet. You are not helpful.

Mines a yamacrap, but I was going to replace it with an upsized e-bomb till I found that the Tocrapsu TLDI was cheaper then I decided it was not worth wasting my money till the yamacrap blows up or I snap the leg off or something.

Thanks all ladies, fun read. I needed to waste a few hours till go home time!

Hey fruitcake, i'll race you for you etec!

TimiBoy
10-12-2008, 08:12 AM
Mines a yamacrap, but I was going to replace it with an upsized e-bomb till I found that the Tocrapsu TLDI was cheaper then I decided it was not worth wasting my money till the yamacrap blows up or I snap the leg off or something.

Thanks all ladies, fun read. I needed to waste a few hours till go home time!

Hey fruitcake, i'll race you for you etec!

You forgot my big black anchor!!!

Cheers,

Tim

Noelm
10-12-2008, 08:26 AM
it would seem that Verados are exempt from ridicule and comparisons, not too sure why, maybe we need a couple to blow up or something, all the drama seems to be between E-tecs and the rest of the world, but especially 4 strokes, it is almost a never ending religious war that will rage for generations, passed on from father to son!

Mindi
10-12-2008, 09:12 AM
It's really a shame that it takes so many Mercs to get the job done. This guy would have been better off with just a couple E-Tecs.
http://i112.photobucket.com/albums/n171/jeffnick/Post-05/merc5.jpg

Seen at the Northbound I95 SC Rest Area at the GA border.

(copied this morning from a forum USA....just for a larf...and not my comments at all...Mindi)

TimiBoy
10-12-2008, 09:35 AM
Midnight Express. Gotta love it!!!! Wow, that's some speed machine.

Thanks for that Mindi.

Tim

Noelm
10-12-2008, 09:36 AM
I guess ou get that with 4 strokes, probably a single 90 e-tec would have been about right.

chop duster
10-12-2008, 09:41 AM
Jabba,
had the power steering pump and a trim sensor go wacky a while back. Have put it down to the dodgy, under done batteries we were running and a faulty charger. No problems since re-vamped the wirring and new batt's.
Come home from the reef (25 mile) at 45knots all the way, the other day, after running all day (trolling and leap-frog spearing) and didn't miss a beat. We are wrapped with it.
Gee I wouldn't mind one of those 350's, but I hear they are bloody expensive at this point.

chop duster
10-12-2008, 09:48 AM
noelm,
as a kicker, but where to put it?

Noelm
10-12-2008, 09:50 AM
no! you ditch all those low power 4 strokes and install a single 90 E-tec, get the same speed, better fuel consumption, and no service for 10 years!

FNQCairns
10-12-2008, 09:59 AM
You know, I am a biased simple is better always given time person so I look at that beast above and my stress level blood pressure rises in sympathy, given the lack of relative reliability and 'bugs' the modern engines seem to have, what's the chance of running that many side by side and drama free for 20hours...ever!!

cheers fnq

Dirtysanchez
10-12-2008, 10:00 AM
But the smoke trail from the 2 stroke would appear on the radar and the authorities would be onto them like flies on shit. 8-)

Good god, I have read 15 pages of mind numbing opinion, personal jibes, and downright insults. Its the old Tooheys vs XXXX or Holden Vs Ford, or Bundy vs some other rum. It is all just one persons opinon versus another. I have a 1982 Johnson, smoke bomb, I am horrified at how much shit comes out of it and sometimes I would rather ROW than start it up at the ramp and gas everyone, plus the embarrassment factor ! :-[ it probably has very few hours on it, but has been in dads shed for an aeon.

Oh, and my mates sailing boat gets better economy than any 4st or E-tec. (yes I know it is irrelevant, but a lot of input posted thus far is) :P

I am greatly disappointed at this thread, I read it all, hoping to form an opinion one way or another in the vain hope that in a few years I might be able to get a new boat / motor package, but in all, this has not helped one bit >:(

Noelm
10-12-2008, 10:12 AM
geees for a second there I thought you were hoping for some valuable info in an e-tec thread, gees that's funny, you should put that in the general section under "joke of the day" that's just hilarious!!

Dirtysanchez
10-12-2008, 10:18 AM
Now now Noel, don't be like that.. I don't want to buy into the shitfight. The minister for war peace and finance actually hinted last night that (with a hitch) maybe I should upgrade the boat in the new year.

The hitch is I sell my motor bike, thus ending my mid life crisis (her words) Mind you, it isn't a bad idea, I have had a few close calls on the roads in Brissy, people have no idea behind the wheel of a car.. at least on the water you have a better than average chance.

30hp E Tec ?

coucho
10-12-2008, 10:20 AM
DS buy the cheapest cobo deal on the rig you want that you can find from the best dealer with the best local service.
Engines are so close now days its not funny everyone knows some one who has had problems with almost any brand.
I have a mate who distintergrated one piston and put a conrod through the block and totally distoryed the power head of an xxxx but xxxx come to the party and replaced the powerhead even though it was just out of warentee but only cause the local dealer/mechanic went into bat for him.

Dirtysanchez
10-12-2008, 10:31 AM
Thats one of the problems I reckon, most yards nowdays do packages, with a specific motor brand included.
Mind you, I am talking an estuary boat in the main so the difference would probably not be huge

TimiBoy
10-12-2008, 10:33 AM
I have had a few close calls on the roads in Brissy, people have no idea behind the wheel of a car.

True that. Try driving a truck around Brissy. A lot of idiot car drivers. But then you should try Adelaide...

Cheers,

Tim

sea raider
10-12-2008, 10:37 AM
it would seem that Verados are exempt from ridicule and comparisons, not too sure why, maybe we need a couple to blow up or something, all the drama seems to be between E-tecs and the rest of the world, but especially 4 strokes, it is almost a never ending religious war that will rage for generations, passed on from father to son!

Not so Noel,

I have a mate who has a mate who took a Trailcraft Centre Cab with a 175 (I think) Verado from the local Cairns dealer for a test run. He had to be towed back to the ramp from about halfway along the leads.

Using the logic applied inthe rest of this thread, that means all Verados are crap.

Hope this helps

Cheers

Geoff

Dirtysanchez
10-12-2008, 10:38 AM
I have Timi, I wouldn't 100% agree it is worse down there, but that may simply be the sheer volume of cars up here now ?

A few months back, in the left lane at Zillmere road, but turning right onto sandgate, which is legit, anyway knob jockey in right lane devcides when light is green he would rather be in the left lane so as to access the shops on the left of sandgate road, so he can grab lunch. I ended up in the cycling lane, about 3 cm from the gutter.

He then abused me like I had done something wrong, so I simply said OK, pull into the car park, I am going to sort you out.. He changed his mind and took off, which is a bummer.. I tend to get a bit evil when I am cranky

By the way, the motorbike is a 4 stroke

chop duster
10-12-2008, 11:30 AM
searaider,
maybe your mates, mate, should have told his missus to fuel the bloody thing up?

sea raider
10-12-2008, 12:58 PM
Nah mate, he's single

TimiBoy
10-12-2008, 02:57 PM
I have Timi, I wouldn't 100% agree it is worse down there, but that may simply be the sheer volume of cars up here now ?

A few months back, in the left lane at Zillmere road, but turning right onto sandgate, which is legit, anyway knob jockey in right lane devcides when light is green he would rather be in the left lane so as to access the shops on the left of sandgate road, so he can grab lunch. I ended up in the cycling lane, about 3 cm from the gutter.

He then abused me like I had done something wrong, so I simply said OK, pull into the car park, I am going to sort you out.. He changed his mind and took off, which is a bummer.. I tend to get a bit evil when I am cranky

By the way, the motorbike is a 4 stroke

In Adelaide everyone subtracts 5 from the speed limit. Very few know how to indicate at a roundabout, and they do similar crap to what you experienced. Sudden sideways movements...

Cheers,

Tim

megafish71
10-12-2008, 03:26 PM
Not so Noel,

I have a mate who has a mate who took a Trailcraft Centre Cab with a 175 (I think) Verado from the local Cairns dealer for a test run. He had to be towed back to the ramp from about halfway along the leads.

Using the logic applied inthe rest of this thread, that means all Verados are crap.

Hope this helps

Cheers

Geoff

Dave, the salesman from that dealer ship told me about that. By the way, it was a 175 opti.

Ron

sea raider
10-12-2008, 03:59 PM
Dave, the salesman from that dealer ship told me about that. By the way, it was a 175 opti.

Ron

Welllll,

See how things get twisted when you listen to mates!!

finga
10-12-2008, 04:19 PM
Now now Noel, don't be like that.. I don't want to buy into the shitfight. The minister for war peace and finance actually hinted last night that (with a hitch) maybe I should upgrade the boat in the new year.

The hitch is I sell my motor bike, thus ending my mid life crisis (her words) Mind you, it isn't a bad idea, I have had a few close calls on the roads in Brissy, people have no idea behind the wheel of a car.. at least on the water you have a better than average chance.

30hp E Tec ?
Got it sorted for ya Russ.
Sell your bike. Buy mine and you'll have enough left over for the boat.
My bike is great in the traffic.
A big white beemer with a fat fella in a blue coat riding .
People just get out of your way and stay well clear for some reason ;D

Madaddy
14-12-2008, 08:53 PM
Hmmm...stirred up the POT a bit did I? My post many pages back simply resembled the previous 10 pages of drug f#cked dribble that couldn't even answer one simple question!! So I added to it to make you lot realise what LONG way you all go to answer or NOT answer a question!
I do NOT do drugs and I WILL report any such user or dealer to the police! So a warning to most of them here...you are being watched!
Bring it on!.....

lippa
14-12-2008, 08:57 PM
i have smoked pot.

report me to the police

ya f#$%n moron

Madaddy
14-12-2008, 09:06 PM
Done and now confirmed, thanks.

disorderly
14-12-2008, 09:15 PM
Hmmm...stirred up the POT a bit did I? My post many pages back simply resembled the previous 10 pages of drug f#cked dribble that couldn't even answer one simple question!! So I added to it to make you lot realise what LONG way you all go to answer or NOT answer a question!
I do NOT do drugs and I WILL report any such user or dealer to the police! So a warning to most of them here...you are being watched!
Bring it on!.....

Maaaate...I think you could really benefit from smoking a big spliff and just chilling out a bit...::);D...

This is a new and unwelcome development....even for a E-tec thread....:(...like we really need a self appointed narc around here...piss off idiot...>:(

bigjimg
14-12-2008, 09:21 PM
135 MERCURY OPTIMAX.Enough said,Jim

Madaddy
14-12-2008, 09:48 PM
Good evening "disorderly" have you read the first 10 pages of reference?

disorderly
14-12-2008, 10:09 PM
yeah I have and while I agree with some of your sentiments regarding engines and the people that own them and the uninformed dribble that goes on whenever E-tec's are mentioned...I have been left in awe by your drug taking aspersions ???....where the hell did that dribble come from????...Who are you trying to impress???...not me for 1...your self- righteousness is on par with some of these people that have formed such strongly negative opinions of E-tecs without ever having owned one...

Madaddy
14-12-2008, 10:25 PM
The "DRUG" thing has started from "some person" who related me to being a druggo!!
If they can't read what they are writing, they should be locked up! Some friendly place this is! Do I sit back and cop the sh!t from them who create it? NO I don't!!
Bring it on if they want to try me, otherwise do NOT claim genuine people as drug users when they are not.
People are so guilty of their use, that they have to continue on and start calling me names like "####wit" Who is the "####wit"?
I am logging a lot from here, so look out!!!

Tangles
14-12-2008, 10:25 PM
Bring it on!.....

Do something useful, checkout all the Greenies at Big Day Out etc and go for it.

PS your forum name is very hip??? your not a rave DJ by any chance???

mike

Madaddy
14-12-2008, 10:34 PM
If I was...I would rate you as cool man...

So many bites...who needs fishing?

iceknight
14-12-2008, 10:50 PM
Geeeez sum weird thread his has ended in.....

Wonder if ausfish can collect the "dial in a druggy" $500 i think??

Should donate it to the coast guard.. go towards petrol for all the people that skimp in servicin and need to be towed in...........