PDA

View Full Version : moreton island launch point

spearking
25-11-2008, 09:31 PM
Hi all, heading up to Brissie in a couple of weeks and was hoping to duck over to moreton for a day to sus out future trips.

what I was wondering is where would be the best place to launch from. I'd prefer not to travel all the way to redcliff and was hoping for a ramp near the port of brisbane or some where just up the river. Is the brisie river mouth sketchy to navigate with the bigger boats?

Can anyone advise of a suitable Ramp ?

Cheers

copie
25-11-2008, 09:46 PM
Hi spearking what size boat do you have. I often use the ramp at colmslie it's just west of the gateway bridge on the southside. Good ramp and pontoon only takes about 10-15 minutes to reach the mouth. Easy run up the river and no prblem to navigate and sips no problem. The other ramp on the southside is at whites island a bit closer to the mouth ok for a couple off guy's with a bit of tide but sh---t ramp if you have a family. Hope this helps.
Mark.

Horse
25-11-2008, 09:53 PM
Where are you staying. Most of us Southsiders use Manly or the Boat Passage ramps

tunaticer
26-11-2008, 05:22 PM
The ramp and pontoon at Shultz Canal is quite good for a northside access point directly into the bay. Shorncliffe has a good 4 lane ramp and an average smaller ramp closer to the mouth.

These would be the two best choices for Brisbane northside without going to Redcliffe.

Jack.

Donny Boy
27-11-2008, 04:59 AM
You could have a look at the ramp next to the Brisbane Water Police along Murrarie Rd, Just near where the Moreton Island Cat is berthed, Port of Brisbane.

Badone
28-11-2008, 12:24 AM
Spearking, It doesn't make sense to launch south of the Brisbane River unless you are happy to remain in the Bay or head out through the Sth Passage bar to fish offshore Straddie/ Southern Moreton Is. If you intent to fish/dive the northern part of Moreton then go to Scarborough and launch.. it will save you a long bumpy ride across the bay. 30 mins extra in the car is preferable to 30 mins extra in the boat. There is an ok ramp at Woody Pt just over the Hornibrook bridge if you don't want to go all the way to Redcliffe but once again you will have to do more sea miles.

spearking
06-12-2008, 02:48 PM
thanks for the info guys,
the ramp in the boat passage near the port of brisbane looks like the most convienient for launch,
can anyone tell me if the ramp is in reasonable nick and if it would be ok to leave the car there overnight for a weekend trip.... most likely to camp on the south western side of moreton.
I'll be launching a cruisecraft ousider 550

Jabba_
06-12-2008, 03:38 PM
I'll be heading over to Moreton for few nights also... Do any off these ramp offer security parking????

Xtreme
06-12-2008, 07:25 PM
thanks for the info guys,
the ramp in the boat passage near the port of brisbane looks like the most convienient for launch,
can anyone tell me if the ramp is in reasonable nick and if it would be ok to leave the car there overnight for a weekend trip.... most likely to camp on the south western side of moreton.
I'll be launching a cruisecraft ousider 550

Spearking,

Being at The Port of Brisbane, the Boat passage ramp has 24 Hr survelliance cameras as well as mobile patrols and is well lit so it's as safe as you'll get without getting access to a secured, private ramp.

Only problem is there is not much parking space for your boat adjascent to the ramp on high tides and at low tide you can't drive a boat onto the trailer due to limited slope on the ramp but other wise it's pretty good.

Like the other guys have said, still a decent run up in the boat as opposed to ports further north.

Enjoy the trip