PDA

View Full Version : Land-based Mackerel?

IRMC000
25-11-2008, 07:55 PM
Any thoughts or ideas on Land-Based Mackerel - any species from say Bundaberg South to the border?

Just_chips
25-11-2008, 08:09 PM
Bribie island eastern beach. From Skirmish point up to the top for schoolies and the occasional spotty. Plenty have been taken from here over the years along with the odd tuna, which are more prevalent from May to August.

Kev

rando
25-11-2008, 09:46 PM
Sandy Cape!

Freeeedom
26-11-2008, 04:31 PM
Skirmish Point on Bribie Island in late summer for schoolies - best with a high tide about 8 - 9.00 a.m. Fish the run out tide using the tidal run and/or a balloon to get your bait out.
Noosa Headland (Fairy Pools to Hell's Gates) for spaniards (and some schoolies) throughout the summer months 8.00 a.m. to midday (or whenever the sea breeze gets up and blows your baits back to your feet).
Cheers Freeeedom

Braddles
27-11-2008, 06:42 PM
Skirmish Point on Bribie Island in late summer for schoolies - best with a high tide about 8 - 9.00 a.m. Fish the run out tide using the tidal run and/or a balloon to get your bait out.
Noosa Headland (Fairy Pools to Hell's Gates) for spaniards (and some schoolies) throughout the summer months 8.00 a.m. to midday (or whenever the sea breeze gets up and blows your baits back to your feet).
Cheers Freeeedom

hey Freedom - I seen another post on pelagics which I think may be from Noosa headlands...

Do you park in the national park headlands and walk around towards Alexander Bay? (With eyes closed to protect my innocense of course lol)...

You mention you want the wind onshore? I would have thought having an offshore wind to blow your floating bait out would have been better, but thats how much I know lol???

As for rigs - what do you normally use? Float a big bait out on a balloon?

What is night fishing like around here? Or is day better?

PVT me if you prefer.

Many thanks,

Regards,

Brad :-)

Freeeedom
27-11-2008, 07:23 PM
Hi Brad
When the sea breeze gets up it's time to leave.
Night time is big jew time in that area, and you'll also lose your baits to sharks at times. Around dawn you'll encounter some big tailor and the main pelagics (mackerels, tuna and kingfish) tend to arrive when the sun gets up a bit. I prefer to cast and retrieve a big bait (yellowtail pike, big garfish) rather than using a balloon. I use a gang of 4 X 6/0 hooks and about half a metre of wire when I'm after the toothy brigade. Bottom fishing this area at night and around dawn will give you snapper, sweetlip and bream. These tend to disappear when it gets bright sunlight. It's a long hike in and a difficult climb down to Hell's Gates, but when you stagger back with a big fish over your shoulder you don't seem to notice the walk so much
Cheers Freeeedom

abbot_86
27-11-2008, 07:31 PM
quabba...........

Braddles
27-11-2008, 09:45 PM
I cant wait ehehehe

mattooty
28-11-2008, 12:26 PM
Abbot, i think you mean Quobba. I wouldn't imagine it'd be an easy drive from bundaberg...

Captain_Zero
28-11-2008, 07:44 PM
A few years ago I caught 5 or 6 schoolies (undersize) from the William Gunn Jetty at Manly on a whitebait.

u.r.s.4
29-11-2008, 07:27 AM
i caught 8 schoolies/spotties off the beach here at wurtulla and saw a few others come out last year. old bloke i fish with from time to time caught a 35kg spanish off kings headland a few years ago on drifting gar. would love to tag along when you go.
cheers.

abbot_86
30-11-2008, 09:21 PM
Abbot, i think you mean Quobba. I wouldn't imagine it'd be an easy drive from bundaberg...

yeah sorry mate. im looking at whats involved in getting there at the moment

Horse
01-12-2008, 05:53 AM
Barolin Rock at Bagara is worth a look for Broad Bars and Schoolies. Any of the headlands south of there are options as well. Noosa would be the most consistant producer

mattooty
01-12-2008, 08:09 AM
Abbot, are you a member of SFX? There's been some good threads on Quobba lately. Mostly reports with the how to's a bit further back.