PDA

View Full Version : P.B. Barra does it count?

mylestom
24-11-2008, 05:08 AM
Does that new Personal best barra that you caught count, or do you adhere to some of the the elitist comments coming from some quarters.

If you caught the fish by legal means, then to me it counts.

But some comments that I have heard in the recent years include.

Impoundment barra aren't real barra and don't count.

If you don't catch it casting it doesn't count.

Trolling doesn't count.

What is your opinion.

Regards

Trev

Tropicaltrout
24-11-2008, 06:07 AM
Anyone who has caught a Impoundment barra will know it is all on from hook up to boat side, I had a fish stitch me this last trip for 45 minutes I mannaged to un weave his magic only to have the lure near hit me on the scone at the boat side. So nope a Barra is a barra and regardless of were it was caught it is a big strong fish that can bring down some serious terminal tackle. In saying that Impoundment Barra do grow bigger and average size is bigger then the salty counterpart and with respect I dont think that records should be taken from inpoundments I think it should be only a record if taken from its Nataral Habbitat.

Flicking IMHO is more rewarding then trolling but reallity says a fish is a fish regardless and the ones that were so called flickers myself included were all out trolling thursday and friday, and all those fish caughtand there was a few many fish won there battle from hooks straightened to line breaks and some even broke rods and thats trolling.

A PB is a PB a barra is a barra its all good and a heap of fun!

Cheers Nath

Whitto
24-11-2008, 06:07 AM
Does that new Personal best barra that you caught count, or do you adhere to some of the the elitist comments coming from some quarters.

Trolling doesn't count.

What is your opinion.

Regards

Trev This old Chestnut Trev.....G'Day and good to catchup again even if it's electronically.....No doubt in my mind...A Barra is a Barra and make's no difference how and where you fish for them for me......Casting lures u still have to find them and get them to strike.....If things are quite casting, Trolling is your other option which is an art in it's self....Depth of lure...Wind....Impoundment current.....speed veration...it's all good stuff and suits me down to the ground......Enough about that has that new E-Tec arrived, you must be chaffing at the bit...look forward to seeing the outfit next time we meet at Monduran.....This post should create an interesting responce......Cheers Whitto PS Im struggling to get off 1.10 for my PB am confident of doing that this year

leelee
24-11-2008, 12:35 PM
Well a P.B is a Personal Best. It’s the best that you have personally done so I don't care how or where it’s caught.

Its a personal milestone or bench mark for an angler, not a group of anglers, your mates or anyone else for that matter.

The PB record is for only one person and that is the holder of the new PB. Personally I don’t care what anyone else says when it’s a blatant attempt to belittle the capture as the records will always show that your PB is your PB. This goes for any species.

As for Pond fish versus wild fish well depending on who you talk to you get different responses such as “its easier to catch barra in the wild as they are everywhere at certain times of the year” and “ pond barra don’t fight “

Once again I go fishing for the personal gain and all that matters to me are my views and the same views of like minded anglers and not the views of purists. As long as I am happy, is all that matters to me.

Cheers

Lee

Hardb8
24-11-2008, 12:54 PM
Hi Trev,
My opinion for what it's worth.Casting or trolling,Wild or impoundment,To me,It don't matter.

What I consider to be caught is :- I only count a fish to be landed when I actually liberate it myself.EG :- I have to remove the hooks from the fish.

Fish that shake hooks out at my feet are not counted as captures for me.Only the fish I release,Make my list as being caught.And tick over on my fish counter.

It'll be intresting to see others thoughts on this one...Nice thread.

Cheers. B8.

mylestom
24-11-2008, 01:37 PM
This old Chestnut Trev.....G'Day and good to catchup again even if it's electronically.....No doubt in my mind...A Barra is a Barra and make's no difference how and where you fish for them for me......Casting lures u still have to find them and get them to strike.....If things are quite casting, Trolling is your other option which is an art in it's self....Depth of lure...Wind....Impoundment current.....speed veration...it's all good stuff and suits me down to the ground......Enough about that has that new E-Tec arrived, you must be chaffing at the bit...look forward to seeing the outfit next time we meet at Monduran.....This post should create an interesting responce......Cheers Whitto PS Im struggling to get off 1.10 for my PB am confident of doing that this year

Whitto,

Tnks for response, all of us have personal targets and dreams, realisation of gaining that P.B. should be a personal triumph as it deserves to be.

We all celebrate others P.B. as well such as such as Simons, Nathan and Rob's in the last few weeks. All deserving fishers and great efforts from all.

Pick up new boat and trailer on Wednesday, fitting out today, but still no new Etec yet, could even be Jan. Will be just looking at it till the new motor arrives.

Sold old boat and motor to mate down here and he will wait for delivery until I get the Etec.

Cheers

Trev

TinarooTriumph
24-11-2008, 03:45 PM
Yes, Barra are Barra. The hundreds of anglers that say Freshwater Barra don't fight obviously have never caught one - I throw this line back at them everytime. I took a mate out this morning who doesn't fish much and he saw me land a fish in the 90's (92) that went buzurk with aerial's. To this day he has always given me flack that Dam Barra don't fight, but after this morning when he heard my Curado go off he kind of had to swallow his words (kind of!).

IMHO, and this might throw a cat, but to me Trolling does not count. I caught a Barra trolling about 2 and a bit months back that was much larger then my PB and although I was rapt to have it in the Boat there was a part of me which said 'this doesn't count'. 3 weeks later I beat that PB again, this time casting. Why you ask? As a good old bloke up here says, Trolling is for Marlin and casting is for Barra. Thats exactly the way I see it. I personally feel like an idiot putt-ing around in my tinny flicking my Rod trying to get fish to bite. Trolling is a very useful technique that catches a crapload of fish don't get me wrong, most of them them good size fish at that, but a true anglers test of skill is to stand and turn on fish, not sit and drive. Yes there is skill to it, but not nearly as much as Lurecasting - not even close.

Just my H.O

Theo

goddy100
24-11-2008, 05:15 PM
I believe it all comes down to personal enjoyment. I enjoy casting and trolling (but only if I'm driving). In some situations trolling has been the only way to produce and has been effective on slow days. So for me, both these methods count. Baitfishing however hold no such joy. As such I do not really baitfish much and to this day, have only ever caught one barra with this method. So for me, baitfishing would not count.
It is also about the challanges we set for ourselves. We may feel that we have only earned a fish if caught a certain way. It could be casting only, or flyfishing, or casting from a bank for wild barra using a 12lb handline with an improvised lure while standing on one foot and blindfolded. Either way these are our own personal goals and count only to ourselves and not forced onto others.
So for me, if it caught legally, it counts.

Goddy

Tangles
24-11-2008, 05:29 PM
Well,
at the recent Agnes Waters M&G, i was in the tinny in the creek with Black Rat quietly motoring along and a big barra almost jumped into the boat, hit the side, flipped around a bit on the side then slide off.. damm thing was heading straight for my head I reckon.. i could off won by technical knock-out?

Embarrassing but true, with the lack of fish caught by usual means offshore by all the boys if she had of landed in the boat she would of easily been best catch of the week lol

mike

mylestom
24-11-2008, 05:36 PM
Yes, Barra are Barra. The hundreds of anglers that say Freshwater Barra don't fight obviously have never caught one - I throw this line back at them everytime. I took a mate out this morning who doesn't fish much and he saw me land a fish in the 90's (92) that went buzurk with aerial's. To this day he has always given me flack that Dam Barra don't fight, but after this morning when he heard my Curado go off he kind of had to swallow his words (kind of!).

IMHO, and this might throw a cat, but to me Trolling does not count. I caught a Barra trolling about 2 and a bit months back that was much larger then my PB and although I was rapt to have it in the Boat there was a part of me which said 'this doesn't count'. 3 weeks later I beat that PB again, this time casting. Why you ask? As a good old bloke up here says, Trolling is for Marlin and casting is for Barra. Thats exactly the way I see it. I personally feel like an idiot putt-ing around in my tinny flicking my Rod trying to get fish to bite. Trolling is a very useful technique that catches a crapload of fish don't get me wrong, most of them them good size fish at that, but a true anglers test of skill is to stand and turn on fish, not sit and drive. Yes there is skill to it, but not nearly as much as Lurecasting - not even close.

Just my H.O

Theo

Theo,

Agree with the comment in regard to impoundment barra fighting, as good as the billabong barra and saltwater barra that I have caught in Territory.

Can't agree with your comment on trolling though, as that would discount heaps of barra and very capable anglers like the boys in the Barra Bash on the Daly River, trolling can be a very relaxed method of fishing, but the same as any angling, there is varying degrees of Trolling.

Tie up to a tree and casting, or anchoring and casting or electric and casting, are all acceptable methods of angling, trolling by first locating fish then putting the right lure in the right place is just as acceptable.

Besides there are a lot of anglers, young, old, female and anglers with disabilities, who enjoy their fishing but don't have the ability to cast all day, or don't enjoy it, so why should there skills and abilities not be an acceptable form of fishing.

Regards

Trev

nipsta
24-11-2008, 05:37 PM
well trev this is a good one for sure this post and i belive a barra caught whether cuaght trolling caught casting or caught on bait if its ya pb it ya pb are there some blokes out there that are trying to turn the fishing scene like the surfing scene where surfboard riders reckon there the only real surfers and bodyboarder reckon there the only real surfers and so on and so on hey everyone lets all get over our selfs if you get a pb then well done no matter how ya get it unless ya use a net or soming dirty like that i have heard the caster say there style takes more skill than i like to do both and i like to use bait as well for mangrove jacks i work my tides and plan my trip just as much as a bloke who is going to cast the arms off all day i have caught my last 2 pbs on casting and trolling and both where just as rewarding as the next

And i reckon you have to be versitile on the day if they are reating on the cast then a troll might get the to bite so you go to be flexable to what is need on the day
just my view ;)

Jeremy87
24-11-2008, 06:50 PM
Your only aloud to criticise trolling if your willing to do it from time to time. I Troll sometimes for freshwater fish if the situation calls for it. Does the fish still count? Yes. Would i have prefered to have caught that fish casting? Yes again. But if trolling was the technique required to catch fish on the day and you've driven for half a day and invested hundreds of dollars into a trip were the aim is to catch fish then your a bit of a ######## if you stick to casting all day. in saying that once you've caught a few fish your not expanding yourself as a fisherman by sticking to the same technique. If the fish are there and biting on the troll then it's time to try and catch them using a casting technique. You never know the next time you go fishing trolling might not be practical. Have your own standards regarding wild/impoundment, braid/mono, trolling casting, lineclass etc but yeh its plain rude to say to someone else that their fish doesn't count because its not your preferred fishing style.

TinarooTriumph
24-11-2008, 07:09 PM
Can't agree with your comment on trolling though, as that would discount heaps of barra and very capable anglers like the boys in the Barra Bash on the Daly River, trolling can be a very relaxed method of fishing, but the same as any angling, there is varying degrees of Trolling.

I'll pay that. I havn't done much in the Saltwater, and listening to experienced anglers up North where I am, trolling is the number one form of big barra captures in the Rivers. It just comes down to the dynamics of a River system. Those same blokes share the same views as me when it comes to Impoundment fish.

The percentages lie with Lurecasting.

Good thread mate.

Cheers

Theo

tunaticer
24-11-2008, 07:16 PM
It aint much different to the wild trout versus hatchery trout, albeit the hatchery trout are usually more gullible to take anything on offer almost.

Personally if i wanted to catch a barra I could not give a rats arse if it was a wild fish or farmed fish although i do have preferences towards saltwater.

It will not be long before we are faced with managed fishing resorts and managed stocks and managed ways to catch treat and eat the fish stocks all for a user pays empire. We currently think we are tightly controlled now.....just wait a decade or two and rethink your current assessment.

There are hunting retreats in other parts of the world where you already book in a yr in advance and get charged for every shot you make at an animal be it a rabbit or a bear. Oh, and its becoming very popular and profitable, guess where our fishing will take us?

Jack.

nipsta
24-11-2008, 07:19 PM
Your only aloud to criticise trolling if your willing to do it from time to time. I Troll sometimes for freshwater fish if the situation calls for it. Does the fish still count? Yes. Would i have prefered to have caught that fish casting? Yes again. But if trolling was the technique required to catch fish on the day and you've driven for half a day and invested hundreds of dollars into a trip were the aim is to catch fish then your a bit of a ######## if you stick to casting all day. in saying that once you've caught a few fish your not expanding yourself as a fisherman by sticking to the same technique. If the fish are there and biting on the troll then it's time to try and catch them using a casting technique. You never know the next time you go fishing trolling might not be practical. Have your own standards regarding wild/impoundment, braid/mono, trolling casting, lineclass etc but yeh its plain rude to say to someone else that their fish doesn't count because its not your preferred fishing style.

well said and i also reckon that some of us arent that lucky that the dam is right beside so if trolling is what will reward us with a fish then thats what i would do
plus nothing more relaxing then trolling around the dam and taking in the enviroment the fish have all the time and i agree saying that to someone is a joke we all are out the for the same goal to land a aussie icon no matter the technique

Jeremy
24-11-2008, 07:20 PM
I am just a tyre kicker on here, but I do remember threads.reports on ausfish in the past where people look down on trollers like they are lepers "the trollers". Be good for some of these people to have the balls and admit it and just come out and say that no, fish caught trolling don't count.

Just IMHO

Jeremy

BTW, my opinion - a PB is a PB if caught by legitimate/legal means on rod and reel.

BR65
24-11-2008, 07:48 PM
Does that mean if a PB is caught on a hand line, it doesnt count?

What about if a PB was caught trolling, useing a hand line?
The mind boggles.
Trolling, casting, educated fishing or sheer blind luck, it doesnt matter, your best fish is still going to be your best fish.

BR65
24-11-2008, 07:55 PM

Usually uttered by some one who has never even seen an impoundment fish, let alone had 50lb braid crack like a riffle shot as a big girl puts her head down turning for the trees

Usually uttered by someone who has one arm like Popeye, and the other arm like Oliveoil

Trolling doesn't count.
See above

What is your opinion.

Regards

Trev

My opinion is as long as youve caught the fish, no matter how, its a legitimate PB.
The method you choose to catch the PB is fairly closely related to the satisfaction level you achieve when that PB hits the net.

Jeremy87
24-11-2008, 08:13 PM
My opinion is as long as youve caught the fish, no matter how, its a legitimate PB.
The method you choose to catch the PB is fairly closely related to the satisfaction level you achieve when that PB hits the net.

I've done about 10 trips to barra impoundments over the last few of years. Every other time a metre long makes it to the boat but to date none of them have been attached to my line. When i go up to awoonga this weekend i'll take a metre long if it means I have to jump over the side and scoop one with the landing net.

Dick Pasfield
24-11-2008, 09:56 PM
Trolling does not count

Sorry Theo we may have to agree to disagree on this one;). There's a school of thought that trolling is kick back, suck on a tinnie and wait for action to come, and it's fair to say that many treat the technique like that, hence the bad name, only one up from a livebaiter so as to speak.

In fact for those who take their trolling seriously and use the technique where it's suited will tell you you don't have time to kick back. One hand on the tiller steering the lure into the sweet spot, flicking it in to neutral when you want to lure to hover a second or two and crabbing the current. Whilst the other hand is working the rod, free spooling when you want a hover or feeling a bump, working the lure from one side of the boat to the the other to get closer to the timber (or away). A good troller works as hard as the caster and to switch off can be costly on lures and lost fish.

The question is why to troll? Trolling gives you good control of your lures position vertically within the water column, something difficult to achieve by casting due to the limitations of the length of the cast whilst casting gives you good control of positioning the lure laterally depending on your accuracy. Often when using deep diving lures unless you're good for 50 metre casts a cast lure only achieves its optimum running depth briefly before being pulled to the surface as it nears the boat. Not all fish will strike straight away, trolling keeps the lure in the strike zone longer where it can be worked to promote a strike from a fish.

Casting, trolling and yes even a pinned mullet all have their place. It's not about the technique, it's how intelligently you use it.:)

trueblue
25-11-2008, 12:34 AM
in the boat is in the boat

the size is the size

a PB is a PB

so be it

rebelone
25-11-2008, 10:03 AM
Hi Trev
thaught you were going to keep the old boat - become a fleet owner like myself. You must have been keen to get down to get the new boat as I dropped over to your camp site on Friday arvo and you were gone. Left there on Saturday after two good hook-ups but lost both. Will drop your radio over in near future. My run of bad luck continued as I was in Brisbane on Sunday afternoon when the storm hit but luckily no damage where i was, went back up with the S.E.S. this last weekend to help with roof tarping etc at The Gap what a bloody mess.
Merv

mylestom
25-11-2008, 11:05 AM
Hi Trev
thaught you were going to keep the old boat - become a fleet owner like myself. You must have been keen to get down to get the new boat as I dropped over to your camp site on Friday arvo and you were gone. Left there on Saturday after two good hook-ups but lost both. Will drop your radio over in near future. My run of bad luck continued as I was in Brisbane on Sunday afternoon when the storm hit but luckily no damage where i was, went back up with the S.E.S. this last weekend to help with roof tarping etc at The Gap what a bloody mess.
Merv

Merv,

The damage was huge, the help that the SES from everywhere sure was appreciated, by the residents.

No worries about the radio. Got an offer on the old boat and motor from a mate and he is willing to wait till new rig complete.

Well guess its next time for both of us to upgrade to new P.B. Will be glad to christen the new outfit.

Regards

Trevor

johno r
25-11-2008, 06:14 PM
A fish in the boat no matter how trolled,flicked or baited all counts . for those saying trolled do not count you might as well say it do not count unless u are in a skeeter or if your boat is not over 4m and less than 12 months old its not a boat .
I cast and troll and enjoy both but not silly enough to stand there all day casting for nothing ,fishing is all about trying differant things to to get the hookup do the casters only use one lure because it is the only one that counts ,no
just my opinion

Nomad62
25-11-2008, 06:39 PM
Sorry Theo we may have to agree to disagree on this one;). There's a school of thought that trolling is kick back, suck on a tinnie and wait for action to come, and it's fair to say that many treat the technique like that, hence the bad name, only one up from a livebaiter so as to speak.

In fact for those who take their trolling seriously and use the technique where it's suited will tell you you don't have time to kick back. One hand on the tiller steering the lure into the sweet spot, flicking it in to neutral when you want to lure to hover a second or two and crabbing the current. Whilst the other hand is working the rod, free spooling when you want a hover or feeling a bump, working the lure from one side of the boat to the the other to get closer to the timber (or away). A good troller works as hard as the caster and to switch off can be costly on lures and lost fish.

The question is why to troll? Trolling gives you good control of your lures position vertically within the water column, something difficult to achieve by casting due to the limitations of the length of the cast whilst casting gives you good control of positioning the lure laterally depending on your accuracy. Often when using deep diving lures unless you're good for 50 metre casts a cast lure only achieves its optimum running depth briefly before being pulled to the surface as it nears the boat. Not all fish will strike straight away, trolling keeps the lure in the strike zone longer where it can be worked to promote a strike from a fish.

Casting, trolling and yes even a pinned mullet all have their place. It's not about the technique, it's how intelligently you use it.:)

Guys,
i don't think it could be explained any better than Dick has here.

My PB saltwater Barra can be seen in my Avatar....it along with 5 other fish were caught trolling a small submerged rock bar on a day when we had no luck casting due to a strong tide making it difficult to control boat position and place the lures in the "zone".

The sounder showed the fish sitting there, on the rock bar as i passed over it . It took approx 5 or 6 trolling passes to get onto the fish using the technique Dick described above. With each pass line distance and boat position was fine tuned until the "zone" was reached....and then it was "Game On".

Although trolling would only account for about 5% of my captures, i think it has a important place in my repitoir. I put a lot of effort and thought into trolling. I certainly don't feel any different about my PB Barra having been caught trolling, compared to others i have caught casting.

IMHO a PB fish is just that....a PB;).

Cheers Nomad:)

BR65
25-11-2008, 07:21 PM
I've done about 10 trips to barra impoundments over the last few of years. Every other time a metre long makes it to the boat but to date none of them have been attached to my line. When i go up to awoonga this weekend i'll take a metre long if it means I have to jump over the side and scoop one with the landing net.

Best of luck mate, once you crack that first one, watch the floodgates open then!

Tell you what, if you took trolling out of the equation, there would be a lot of PB's that originated from Awoonga that would be redundant.

dfox
25-11-2008, 07:40 PM
What i have noticed when talking to barra fisherman is that almost everyone has two pb's, impoundment and wild (saltwater). I know this thread is about means of capture but is there greater satisfaction in a so called wild fish ... foxy

BR65
25-11-2008, 07:54 PM
Hard to say Foxy, my PB saltie came from trolling the mouth of Tommycutt in the territory, just me, the crocs, and 20 other boats.
My PB impondment fish was on a grey, wind blown rainy day, no one else on the water due to the negative reports floating around, just me fishing solo 20 k's up the back of the dam.
Two totally differant fishing enviroments, each with their own appeal.
Given a choice though, I'd rather pull meter fish out of a salty mangrove creek full of snags, crocs, sharks and mud crabs, 30 degrees plus at 6 in the morning, and not another person in 500 kms.
Problem is, you cant pull a trip like that every second week end, so you settle for what you can do, and try to maximize the experience by fishing away from the mob, useing differant technique, and enjoying the social side at the end of a big day on the water.

ps
anyone who says a dam barra doesnt fight is dreamin......

eotbmg
25-11-2008, 08:08 PM
Couldnt have said it better myself Brian. With a young growing family i have limited opportunities to fish at all let alone go Barra fishing. I am starting to understand the dams a bit more now and have a resonable amount of luck, where as if i start playing around with the salties around Hervey bay, they are diferent kettle of chooks, where i would rather go and have some sucess. Mind you we caught about a dozen salties in the Kimberlies in 05 and that experience is to date my best memory....

Great thread Trev . Cheers
Ben

BR65
25-11-2008, 08:20 PM
Hey Ben, week and a half to go mate, I was out the shed this arvo re trebleing some new lures and starting to get a bit itchy.

Further to my ramble on mangrove lined barra creeks, the other thing to consider is a PB doent have to mean the biggest, or longest fish youve caught.
Ive got fish that stick in the memory bank due to the surroundings, or the circumstances, of the capture, rather than the fact that the fish was the biggest of that species I've netted to date. A little barra on a popper at the mouth of a tidal drain up the Wilman (spelling?) comes to mind, he was boofing bait fish on the edge of a colour change, we slid the tinny in bank side and then conned him into eating a twitch, dunk, pause, splutter surface presentation right at our feet.
Ya gotta love that, not the biggest, but up there with the best.

nipsta
25-11-2008, 08:39 PM
Hard to say Foxy, my PB saltie came from trolling the mouth of Tommycutt in the territory, just me, the crocs, and 20 other boats.
My PB impondment fish was on a grey, wind blown rainy day, no one else on the water due to the negative reports floating around, just me fishing solo 20 k's up the back of the dam.
Two totally differant fishing enviroments, each with their own appeal.
Given a choice though, I'd rather pull meter fish out of a salty mangrove creek full of snags, crocs, sharks and mud crabs, 30 degrees plus at 6 in the morning, and not another person in 500 kms.
Problem is, you cant pull a trip like that every second week end, so you settle for what you can do, and try to maximize the experience by fishing away from the mob, useing differant technique, and enjoying the social side at the end of a big day on the water.

ps
anyone who says a dam barra doesnt fight is dreamin......
couldnt have said it better myself and yes if you dont think they pull hard then you have never caught one they are as dirty as can be when they want to not because they fight that way as the path to freedom is block bye many obstacles and i guess after catching the $1.26 the other week and seeing how much power they really have i tell the best thing i have ever experinced i have caught a few but that was a special one

darylive
25-11-2008, 08:47 PM
If your priority is to catch a fish then surely you would be foolish not to use the most appropriate method on the day. If you are talking angling skill then this is part of it.

If your goal is to catch a fish casting then stick to it.

My goal is to enjoy my self and I enjoy both styles when the mood takes me or when I believe it is the most likely method to produce the goods. 8-)

As far as being judged by others, I am not there to impress such imbeciles.::)

Why not talk PB dam, PB Wild, if you think it is important. A Barra fight is just that and having caught both wild and impoundment any claims that one fights more than the other is a declaration of ignorance. Every fish is different.

Jomaweb
27-11-2008, 11:16 PM
Whitto,

Tnks for response, all of us have personal targets and dreams, realisation of gaining that P.B. should be a personal triumph as it deserves to be.

We all celebrate others P.B. as well such as such as Simons, Nathan and Rob's in the last few weeks. All deserving fishers and great efforts from all.

Pick up new boat and trailer on Wednesday, fitting out today, but still no new Etec yet, could even be Jan. Will be just looking at it till the new motor arrives.

Sold old boat and motor to mate down here and he will wait for delivery until I get the Etec.

Cheers

Trev

HAHA, etec huh, i had some clown from a boat shop in Cairns try and tell me that his crappy 150 mariner would out preform an etec...did he expect me to be interested in anything he had to say from then on...?

mylestom
28-11-2008, 05:21 AM
Being trying to get my head around the different science involved in the different styles.

Casting, locating fish? then anchoring, tying to tree or utilising electric and casting for hours. How much water, how many fish do you cover.

Bait fishing would be as above but less utilisation of electric.

Trolling locating fish? then targeting fish. Seems you should possibly cover more water and fish. I.E. most good anglers spend the time and money for good sounders and know how to read them.

Myself I prefer and am able to do some casting and trolling. Thats what suits myself and friends and family.

Yes there will always be the lucky angler out on the dam for the first time with the wrong gear and catch a fish within an hour or so trolling. But then that can also apply to casting and bait fishing.

Also the comment that saltwater fish fight better than dam barra, obviously havent been fishing for big barra in the timber in the likes of Tinaroo, Faust, Monduran.

Only a part timer myself, and been doing on and off for about 30years.

But lets all recognize P.B. Barra for what they are.

A great personal achievement by that person.

Memory of P.B.

Caught a few over the years, but the best P.B. ( sticks in my mind) was the one caught by my Father in Law Stan about ten years before he passed away.

In the Mary River, lots of crocs around and his first fish, about 81cm but the look on his face, and the excitment of myself and grandson, to help him catch and land.

Then for his last ten years he had that photo on his TV in cold Melbourne and would talk about it to his mates till the cows come home.

Thats what a P.B. personal best is all about.

Regards

Trev

Whitto
28-11-2008, 06:35 AM
Being trying to get my head around the different science involved in the different styles.

Casting, locating fish? then anchoring, tying to tree or utilising electric and casting for hours. How much water, how many fish do you cover.

Bait fishing would be as above but less utilisation of electric.

Trolling locating fish? then targeting fish. Seems you should possibly cover more water and fish. I.E. most good anglers spend the time and money for good sounders and know how to read them.

Myself I prefer and am able to do some casting and trolling. Thats what suits myself and friends and family.

Yes there will always be the lucky angler out on the dam for the first time with the wrong gear and catch a fish within an hour or so trolling. But then that can also apply to casting and bait fishing.

Also the comment that saltwater fish fight better than dam barra, obviously havent been fishing for big barra in the timber in the likes of Tinaroo, Faust, Monduran.

Only a part timer myself, and been doing on and off for about 30years.

But lets all recognize P.B. Barra for what they are.

A great personal achievement by that person.

Memory of P.B.

Caught a few over the years, but the best P.B. ( sticks in my mind) was the one caught by my Father in Law Stan about ten years before he passed away.

In the Mary River, lots of crocs around and his first fish, about 81cm but the look on his face, and the excitment of myself and grandson, to help him catch and land.

Then for his last ten years he had that photo on his TV in cold Melbourne and would talk about it to his mates till the cows come home.

Thats what a P.B. personal best is all about.

Regards

Trev Priceless Trev Priceless, The enjoyment your Father in Law experienced on that day and through to his passing is a big part of what it's all about...he obviously was very proud of that achievement......I have many times enjoyed watching others catch a big fish.....Thanks for tell us about that time.....Whitto

Blista
29-11-2008, 07:11 PM
Any fish hookup that gets the blood up, strains the rod and makes you feel good about going fishing in the first place counts in my book. My PB for impoundment barra is 1155mm. I know blokes at work that frown on this as they are "stocked" fish. As you can guess, they have never caught a barra.

NAGG
01-12-2008, 08:46 PM
P E R S O N A L B E S T

Set your own goals ...... be it a salty , impoundment , lure caught casting , trolling ..... whatever - Its your milestone & no one can take that away from you - \

Besides ...... each fish on its own merit ( & you will be the only one that really knows) - You can catch a 105 that is a more satisfying capture than a 115 or 120 given the circumstances or the amount of spirit of an individual fish.

Chris

mylestom
02-12-2008, 05:27 AM
P E R S O N A L B E S T

Set your own goals ...... be it a salty , impoundment , lure caught casting , trolling ..... whatever - Its your milestone & no one can take that away from you - \

Besides ...... each fish on its own merit ( & you will be the only one that really knows) - You can catch a 105 that is a more satisfying capture than a 115 or 120 given the circumstances or the amount of spirit of an individual fish.

Chris

Chris,

Spot on, thats what it is all about.

We all have our most memorable or personal best for all species in all areas. The main criteria in my mind, was it caught legally, if so then it classifies to be your own Personal Best.

Regards

Trev

mylestom
28-12-2008, 05:33 AM
Well about time this post went back to up to provide some balance.

Still believe that if its a legal fish (In season, size, method) then it should count.

The discussions in regard to one type of legal fishing over another is just people describing that their Holden/Ford, Baitcaster/Spinner, Fibreglass/Tinnie thoughts etc.

There are many methods of casting, where, when and how. The same goes for trolling and you can't discount someone preferred or one of their many methods, just because it not your thing.

New Years resolution, to enjoy my time fishing.

The travelling, camping, friendships, sunset and sunrises, views, the wildlife and catching fish is the bonus.

Happy New year to all and hope you realise you Personal Best on one of your trips this year.

Regards

Trev