PDA

View Full Version : Yamaha engine numbers???

Tassie JR
22-11-2008, 09:05 PM
Hey brought a boat last week with a 15hp yamaha (approximatly 1990 model) And we snagged a problem with registering it. The bloke i brought it off still had it registed with a 8 hp johnson which we didnt know when we brought it. When we went to the transport to put it into our name they said it was registed with the 8hp johno and we had to register it with the yamaha, they asked for the moter serial number, so we went to get it and there was no numbers on the moter, we went and had a look at dads boat with twin 60 yammies and the serial number is stuck on with a sticker on his two moters, we called yamaha to ask where the numbers are on the moter and they said it is in the same place as the 60's we said its not there they said the moters probally stolen but we dont think so i think the stcker has just worn off over the years.

What do you people think has happened to the serial number and what do you's think we should do??? We are happy with the boat and want to keep it.

cheers tassie JR

dnej
22-11-2008, 09:11 PM
There is another place for the serial numbers.Yamaha would tell you
David

FNQCairns
22-11-2008, 09:23 PM
Yeah stolen is the easy answer, sounds definitive but has no depth without more to go on, they simply couldn't be very bothered I suspect, things get replaced, damaged, painted over etc.

How old is the 15? earlier on the larger engines where a plate riveted on, it was situated on the clamp body, if you have any more drama see a wrecker for another clamp - one with a number/plate.

Cheers fnq

Angryant
22-11-2008, 09:23 PM
Tassie - the person you bought the boat from will need to go to QLD transport and complete a "Change of Vessel Particulars" form. When registering the change to the 15hp motor; if there is no serial number he/she can make up a number. Yes, it is true - he/she can make up a number. Then you can do your transfer. Make sure you give the same motor number though.

PM me if you require further info as there are other alternatives.
Andrew

kitty_cat
23-11-2008, 09:33 AM
mate if you go to a dealer there is a engine no. on the motor stamped as well
wayne at stones corner should be able to help you

captain rednut
23-11-2008, 08:07 PM
hi tassie the serial number is on the cylinder bloke as well on a silver coloured alloy welsh plug, thanks jim