PDA

View Full Version : Assistance recieved or rendered

coucho
21-11-2008, 01:19 PM
Hi I was reading through another thread and it got me wondering about how many of us have needed a hand or given one before and who has a story to tell?

I have been lucky enough not to need a hand as yet had to hobble home a few times.
I have been however involved in a few rescues of yachts on trawlers in the past and gone to the aid of other boats on occasions. One particular that I remember was a late winter arvo when I got a phone call from the coast Guard saying my Dad was out of fuel around three mile from home. So I got a loan of another boat loaded some spare fuel and went to help him out.
I got there and here he is pulling in fish after fish turned out when he run out of fuel he chucked the anchor over and while he was waiting for me he decided to have a fish and had just happened to run out of fuel right on a hot patch of snapper. So after I slipped him the fuel I anchored up along side and had a great session.
So yeah I guess I was just interested to hear others stories wether they be good or bad on when they have helped out or been helped out?

Jeremy
21-11-2008, 01:31 PM
I have been helped a few times and given assistance once. Went over on Caloundra bar once, and also had problems with water in fuel (from storms!) causing outboard failure and consequent tow back in. Also helped a boat aground in strong winds at night near Jumpinpin bar once. I will try to find the threads and put some links up.

Jumpinpin
http://www.ausfish.com.au/vforum/showthread.php?t=66973&highlight=rescue
Jeremy

STUIE63
21-11-2008, 01:37 PM
lucky enough not to have needed help yet but I have towed one boat 20km home he had some fuel dramas
Stuie

alphas
21-11-2008, 01:52 PM
Helped a bloke at maroon dam whos transom mount electric gave in a fair way from the ramp...towed him in just before a massive storm hit the lake,he was so appreciative.Its the least you can do....

1lastcast
21-11-2008, 01:53 PM
yep i am not to proud to say it i have been towed home before , i probably should keep it to myself but i dont mind a kind natures ribbing so - many years ago i was out fishing in my old 13 footer decided to go for a bit of a drive around so started the motor up and off we go . came out of the creek and turned left into the river and my 7.5hp blue band motor fell of the back ( it vibrated loose and was not chained on ) i couldnt believe it so we had to paddle back only problem was i couldnt find the oars oh sh!t i left them in the car boot so we started paddling back using the 20l esky lid as an oar , luckily for us a fellow came along and when he finaly stopped laughing at us he towed us in when we got back to the ramp he was still laughing after i thanked him we exchanged phone numbers to catch up for a beer and he left us and was still laughing .
Anyway a few weeks later i got a phone call the person on the other end claimed to be from the water police and said there was some issues related to an incident involving a motor causing polution in the river he had me going for a while until he said there was also a serious charge that i was facing i started sh!ting and then he said i was being charged for the illegal use of an eski lid as an oar then he pissed himself laughing the barstard !!!.
i have not spoken to him for years now but it brings a smile to me every time i think about it and yes i bought him a beer
he was only to happy to help and if i can help someone one day i will most certainly do so
regards monostretcho

Roo
21-11-2008, 02:06 PM
LOL, the bugger had the hide to crank call ya!....:thumbsup: gold!

I towed a fella an his family back to the boat ramp from upper reach of the tweed one day.....lucky for him the tide was going the right way anyway and he only had a couple of kays to go.... if he'd been along 5 minutes later he'd have been paddling the whole way as we were just pulling stumps when we noticed him waving!! Engine trouble had left him stranded.

Cheers Roo.

iceknight
21-11-2008, 02:32 PM
iv had a mate help me once.. only ever renderd assistance once..to somone in the pine river whod run out of fuel..and i only stoped because he had his kids in the water swimming the boat up the main channel in the middle of summer while i was getting bullsharks, and what a joke that was. never again.

These days i just motor on past... as its FUN vitamin sea right? vbmenu_register("postmenu_931778", true);

Jeremy
21-11-2008, 02:35 PM
I remember another time a fair while ago up at Donnybrook, was anchored up having a fish and a fella came rowing past in a 10 footer with a 6hp or something asking for a tow back because it wouldn't start. I agreed and started giving him a tow but before long I noticed all the empties up the front and that he was SMASHED.

Guess I did the wrong thing (or maybe not), but I took him about halfway back to the ramp and told him that was as far as I was going and he could row the rest of the way. Maybe he would have driven home pissed and the delay might have dried him out a bit?

BTW, I drove away with "Macho Man" playing on my stereo and a 12 ft bully on the bow. Could have loaned him the 15 hp I keep up the front I guess. Ha Ha

Jeremy

STUIE63
21-11-2008, 02:37 PM
)
Anyway a few weeks later i got a phone call the person on the other end claimed to be from the water police and said there was some issues related to an incident involving a motor causing polution in the river he had me going for a while until he said there was also a serious charge that i was facing i started sh!ting and then he said i was being charged for the illegal use of an eski lid as an oar then he pissed himself laughing the barstard !!!.
regards monostretcho
LMAO thats a classic
Stuie

coucho
21-11-2008, 02:41 PM
come on guys keep it friendly I just wanted to hear some stories like Mono's, mate that is gold like Roo said.
And I guess get an idea of what goes wrong cause sometimes its something totally out of human control that leaves you in the poop.

1lastcast
21-11-2008, 02:46 PM
Yeh lets keep it friendly hey where all adults here arent we
iceknight you are a smelly , smelly , poo , poo lol ;D

Poodroo
21-11-2008, 03:22 PM
Needing help and boats go hand in hand at some stage. My time of need came back in the days when I had my first boat which was a tinny affectionately known as #2. The thing was a beast on the water with an amazing top end speed but one day the speed was reduced to almost a dead stop. The problem was quickly diagnosed as being the rubber bush in the propeller. Lucky for me my brother was nearby and gladly gave me a tow back in but not without taking some incriminating photos first.

Poodroo

slyman
21-11-2008, 03:35 PM
Pulled up at a fishing spot early one morning, did first drift, brother started the motor to go around again and it started sounding like someone had emptied a jar of marbles inside the case. Stopped the motor, popped the top off to find that the plastic catch mechanism for the pull start had disintegrated into several small pieces and a lot of "dust". Well, we had plenty of charge in the electric motor so we fished in the one spot for the day, and a donation was duly made to the coast guard for towing us back home.

Another time while in the Logan we came across a bloke who had his boat moored up and half submerged down near marks rocks. We didn't notice it at high tide because it was fully under and he wasn't there, but on our way home just after low it was visible and he waved us down. When he had trimmed the motor up the day before it had cracked the transom and it filled with water. There wasn't much we could do except recover all the items that had begun to drift away oil bottles, life jackets, cushioned seats... He had a 4x4 on a track and was planning on dragging it out ouf the water.

finga
21-11-2008, 04:34 PM
And I guess get an idea of what goes wrong cause sometimes its something totally out of human control that leaves you in the poop.
Sometimes not as well :-/

I've rescued 2 different boats with the second one kinda 3 times in one day.

the first was down the Pin with a fellow Ausfisher. We just started early in the am to catch the tide when we come across a couple of fella's trying to sail a boat with a boat cover??
So we thought we'd better do the mariners duty and see what the go was.
their boat was broken down and they couldn't paddle so they thought they'd sail.
We dragged them a while but their little boat felt like it was a 30'er.
We dragged them to a sandbank to see if we could start their motor. No go.
So I have a gander in the boat to see if they had fuel and in the boat was a 20l container full of empties and also saw their paddle...a no standing sign on a bit of 40mm PVC pipe. The boat was 1/3 full of water to boot :-/
I had enough and radioed VMR up and told them the story and they said they'd be out.
Long story reasonably short the Water Police was waiting for them when VMR dropped them off at the ramp.
We missed the tide and a day nearly wasted.
Second boat was down at Evans when the cook and I were having a bit of a yabbi pumping session.
4 p%*sed clowns in a little tinny swamped the poor tinny by acting the goat.
They managed to get to shore but the tinny floated away. We dragged the tinny to the bank and they bailed it out (with our bucket because they didn't have one) and amasingly the motor started so off they went again. 50m away down she went again. Again, we did the helping bit and away they went again. This time in the direction of the ramp.
1/2 hour later we got enough yabbi's and on our way home we come across them again and you guessed it...the tinny was again up to the gunnels with water.
Thsi time we just stayed with them doing a bit of a drift whilst drowning a yabbi as they were floating the right way to the ramp.

Fish Guts
21-11-2008, 04:48 PM
ive had a few aswell. i had a boat off the cape come up to us (anchored at yellow patch) with a diver in the cockpit that had been run over by a boat (freediving off the cape of all places) . ended up contacting the water police and getting the boat to shore. energex helicopter came from maroochdore after about 40 mins and the ambulance on moreton came about 5 mins before that. old mate had pretty bad lacerations to his leg and internal injuries. think he is ok now but he was still in a bad way a few months ago (happened 6 months ago). also got help from nautilus the dive boat which was at flinders. bought a doctor(customer) and their dive safety crew. they were a great help !!!

also had to resuce to guys that sunk off the cape. all they were interested in was no media beacuse they were both throwing a sickie. no injuries thou.

pays to have your radio on !! if i didnt hear the call's from water police it may have been a different ending ....

DR
21-11-2008, 05:03 PM
many years ago in Sydney we were coming in from out the front of Cronulla, thought i heard someone calling out, mate said 'nah, can't be we are in the middle of nowhere' cut the motor, sure enough we hear HELLLLP. bung the spotty on & here is a kid about 15yo in a 3.5 with a 25 on the back, was one of those fools that roar around with only the prop in the water being nuisance. It was 10.30pm , the tide was going out, he was out of juice & all he had in the boat was him & an empty fuel tank, he was well on his way to NZ. we towed him back up the river about 6kms & found 1/2 a dozen boats running all over with spotties looking for this fool. Picked out dads boat & delivered him, last thing we heard as we motored of was dad telling him the tinny was going & giving him a good whack up the side of the head...justice was served..

i was towed back a few ks once when i put a piston out the side of the head on my old 25 evinrude & have given out fuel twice..

3rd degree
21-11-2008, 07:04 PM
I had a water pump impeller go, whilst halfway across the bay at dusk with the tide just starting to run out, in my 4.5m tinny.

Was a long way of Mud and the engine was overheating and the only option was to paddle.

Another boat passed nearby and stopped, but were heading to Raby Bay not Brisbane River, so got a ride to Mud with them, and found another boat that was heading to the River.

We gave them a few Beers before we got going and dropped another 2 ctns round to them the next day! Deadset champions cause it a long paddle in from there!

Cheers

James

TimiBoy
21-11-2008, 08:24 PM
I busted a wheel bearing on the trailer once. I'm a desk jockey - no freakin' idea.

I had two, that's TWO Fitter & Turners on board. Repaired with ease! Hardest part was them arguing over the best way to fix it!

Thanks to Wags and Cheech. Always pick your crew carefully ;D;D;D

Cheers,

Tim

wags on the water
21-11-2008, 09:39 PM
I busted a wheel bearing on the trailer once. I'm a desk jockey - no freakin' idea.

I had two, that's TWO Fitter & Turners on board. Repaired with ease! Hardest part was them arguing over the best way to fix it!

Thanks to Wags and Cheech. Always pick your crew carefully ;D;D;D

Cheers,

Tim

Team work Tim. Brainstorming for the best way to do the task, - I don't care which way it's done as long as it's my way. ;D ;D ;D

webby
21-11-2008, 10:01 PM
Have you ever had your boat try to pass you ???
Heading down to Vicky pt one arvo to meet up with Crestcutter for a night fish around peel.
Got to the last round a bout near the shops, and looks out the mirror and the boats trying to pass me on the drivers side ????
The trailer had snapped just after the winch post and was only hanging together by the winch cable.
Managed to pull over and rope it all together, but couldnt tow it straight as it still wanted to go it own direction, couple of old boaties heading home pulled up and with one on either side we drove slowly and walked it to the ramp,
Dropped it in and immediately i let the winch cable go the trailer broke in half, towed the two parts up to the Vmr and left it there and went fishing.
Crestcutter took my boat back to Russel Is that night after our trip, till i repaired the trailer.

Came back from a trip offshore last month, through the amity channel, got half way through, and the steering arm on the motor came apart, both nuts had gone missing.
Immediately got hit by a big greenie and had us on our side with one side being pushed under water, we were vertical with the water, nearly rolled us, but managed to stay upright, by this time we were in amongst the breakers, and all hell let loose as we tried to steer the boat our with two of us steering by the motor, and rollers dumping over the back of us, two boats stood by watching as they could do too much till we got out into some calmer water.
Took awhile, thank god for self draining decks, otherwise we would have joined the rufus king.
Anyway manage to get to calmer waters towards amity, and had a few boat come up to assist, so we put the arm back in and zip tied it to get back to raby bay.
Closest i've came to a watery grave.
regards

death_ship
21-11-2008, 11:02 PM
ive had a few aswell. i had a boat off the cape come up to us (anchored at yellow patch) with a diver in the cockpit that had been run over by a boat (freediving off the cape of all places) . ended up contacting the water police and getting the boat to shore. energex helicopter came from maroochdore after about 40 mins and the ambulance on moreton came about 5 mins before that. old mate had pretty bad lacerations to his leg and internal injuries. think he is ok now but he was still in a bad way a few months ago (happened 6 months ago). also got help from nautilus the dive boat which was at flinders. bought a doctor(customer) and their dive safety crew. they were a great help !!!

also had to resuce to guys that sunk off the cape. all they were interested in was no media beacuse they were both throwing a sickie. no injuries thou.

pays to have your radio on !! if i didnt hear the call's from water police it may have been a different ending ....
hey fish guts were u in a 30 or so foot cat? i was anchored at yellow patch havin a sleep on that day when the diver was hurt and saw the comotion. i think ur cat was right next to me. iwas in a 580 breeze.
been towed twice, once with a blown stator and once with a buggered starter motor.

MTAQ/BTAQ
22-11-2008, 06:05 AM
I was sailing in a Regatta off Shorncliffe (12 foot Vagabond) over Easter years ago when a 50 knot change came through (it decimated the Brisbane-Gladstone fleet) - there was 1 metre surf at the entrance to Cabbage Tree Creek, as I tried to sail through the surf I got my crew (2 school students) to hang onto the back of the dinghy with their bodies in the water thus slowing us down (in seamanship parlance it is known as a drogue) so we did not get pooped and broached - we survived to sail another day - found out later on one of the students had a dicky shoulder - well done crew, after all that is what they are there for!

Fish Guts
22-11-2008, 02:24 PM
yeah deathship that was it. 35ft noosa cat.

death_ship
23-11-2008, 05:21 PM
yeah deathship that was it. 35ft noosa cat.
I must admit i muttered a few obscenties when u roared past but i got up and turned on the radio, hung around for a bit to see if i was needed but it was all under control, well done for your efforts.

grey_inflatable
23-11-2008, 07:11 PM
i all in my small inflatable, its done its few the. 1st was a couple that had flipped there boat and the ladies leg had massive holes in it from the prop. they were drifting out into the bay she lost a lot of blood. my ancor rope was soaked threw, not a nice thing when you are hosing out human blood from your boat.(they never rang to say thanks or anything)
so now i think, i will have a case deal.

the other was a kite surfer in a bar who could not get back to shore and the other.and there was a jet skier that had run out of fuel but. the funny thing was were were in the moorichy river and i forgot about his ski behind me and it so almost hit one of the makers.

but the shitty thing is when you damage your gear when doing the wright thing i know iv done that in my boat and my 4wd but what can you do cheers all