PDA

View Full Version : Is there Mackeral about?

Bay Runner
21-11-2008, 12:25 PM
Hi there fellow Ausfisher's.

Just would like to know if there has been any mackeral or tuna spotted or caught in the Bay. I havent been fishing in 6mths and am keen to get out on Tuesday morning, launching at Cleveland. I intend to fish the channel (I think it's Rainbow) between Peel & Dunwich upto the South passage.

If there are none about I will go in close offshore, just would love to catch some fish as I'm taking a mate thats never caught a real fish before. I would appreciate any feedback or areas that I should be targeting. Thankyou very much in adavance.:) :) ;D :) :)

webby
21-11-2008, 12:52 PM
Mate have heard a couple of reports of spottties, but no proof, and then again some cannot distinguish between a spotties and doggie.
Your not the only one itching at the bit to get out there, its gotter be better then last year.
Havent heard any reports from Hervey Bay either, and thats the first bus stop on there way south.
regards

SgBFish
21-11-2008, 01:10 PM
There’s a report in the offshore section on a few caught near the trench between the Cape and Caloundra.

The weather this weekend looks ordinary though.

Horse
21-11-2008, 07:10 PM
We might have to wait until the fresh is over and a few big tides move the dirty water out a bit

DC
21-11-2008, 07:56 PM
There’s a report in the offshore section on a few caught near the trench between the Cape and Caloundra.

The weather this weekend looks ordinary though.

They looked like schoolies/doggies to me. Seems there's a few of them about. But, like a lot of others, I'm hanging out for the spotted variety... no reports as yet. In saying that, Nugget gave them a mention in today's fishing write-up in the local rag. His sources may be the same people Webby's referring to though... :-X

Let me know if you find them, its been at least a month since my last fishing trip and at least 8 months since I've seen a decent fish. Bring on summer.

DC

wags on the water
21-11-2008, 08:35 PM
Roz and I caught spotties, schoolies and mactuna up off 1770 last weekend. Hopefully they're heading south.

Gazza.Boyne
21-11-2008, 09:02 PM
Wags,

Were you out the front of 1770 or up towards Bustard Head way.

Cheers Gazza

wags on the water
21-11-2008, 09:05 PM
Wags,

Were you out the front of 1770 or up towards Bustard Head way.

Cheers Gazza

Just out the front. It was a bit rough to go to Bustard.
There was a lot of bait around and people were catching macs off the beach and rocks.

skipalong
22-11-2008, 04:54 AM
mate there is shit loads of spotties in hervey bay and the first few straglers are coming through noosa now a mate got 6 last weekend all around the 6kg mark about another 3 weeks for them to reallt turn up, and you really want to hope the rain backs off,

cheers justin

tassie
24-11-2008, 07:02 AM
I went out to the shipping channel 3 weeks ago and pulled 6 spotties up, alot of work though. wouldn't touch a pillie but we got some livies early and anchored up right behind a beacon and let them drift back onto the beacon. hooked up to a couple of unknowns that spooled my 4500 baitrunner.There was another boat out there that was spinning them up with slugs. seen him get two in a matter of 20 mins. the livies were scarce after about 7 am and non existant after about 8.30 which was when we were getting fish. The old drifting method didn't work but if you can get your baits right in on the beacons your in for a show...... hope this helps;D

webby
24-11-2008, 08:19 AM
The big question Tassie, Doggies or Spotties especially anchored near a beacon ?????

Bay Runner
24-11-2008, 09:19 AM
Sorry Tassie, I'm a relative amatuer when it comes to mackeral fishing. Just wondering what you meant about the mackeral schoolling up around the beacons? Is this a normal occurance for them?

Thankyou to everybody that has replied to this thread, very much appreciated.

tassie
24-11-2008, 07:20 PM
The big question Tassie, Doggies or Spotties especially anchored near a beacon ?????

Been fishing those beacons for over 10 years mate, i think i would know 1 from the other. Have got good spaniards and cobia out there to as well and a few mac tuna from time to time..............................

tassie
24-11-2008, 07:23 PM
Sorry Tassie, I'm a relative amatuer when it comes to mackeral fishing. Just wondering what you meant about the mackeral schoolling up around the beacons? Is this a normal occurance for them?

Thankyou to everybody that has replied to this thread, very much appreciated.

Bait schools generally bring them around the beacons. where there is food there are nearly always predators right behind them............;D

Jeremy87
24-11-2008, 07:49 PM
Bay Runner, the four beacons just south of tangalooma is one of the go to spots for mackeral in the bay. It gets alot of attention but can be a good spot to stop by at to see if the fish are in the bay yet. Two years ago the spotties showed up at the beacons around this time, but i wouldn't expect them to show up in good numbers until all this dirty water pushes out of the bay. The sand flats just south of tangas is a good place to find them aswell, along with a variety of other locations where deep clean water runs rapidly over sand flats. January is the month to really start looking for spotties.

Tassie its all well and good saying that they are spotties and we should take your word for it, but i know blokes who have been fishing for 50 years who can't tell the difference between a bream and a tarwhine. I'm not saying that you don't know the difference between the two just that this early in the season most people are pretty sceptical unless the see a picture.

tassie
24-11-2008, 08:18 PM
Bay Runner, the four beacons just south of tangalooma is one of the go to spots for mackeral in the bay. It gets alot of attention but can be a good spot to stop by at to see if the fish are in the bay yet. Two years ago the spotties showed up at the beacons around this time, but i wouldn't expect them to show up in good numbers until all this dirty water pushes out of the bay. The sand flats just south of tangas is a good place to find them aswell, along with a variety of other locations where deep clean water runs rapidly over sand flats. January is the month to really start looking for spotties.

Tassie its all well and good saying that they are spotties and we should take your word for it, but i know blokes who have been fishing for 50 years who can't tell the difference between a bream and a tarwhine. I'm not saying that you don't know the difference between the two just that this early in the season most people are pretty sceptical unless the see a picture.

Fair enough mate, like i said we had to work hard for them but they are there.
and as for photos i dont see a dirty old mackeral as a trophy so i dont bother with them. To me they steak up nice and are good on a barbie. And for people that have been on this site for a while know that me and my brother and father have enough credability so they should take our word for it:) Check out tassie jrs threads on fish we have caught with photos...;)

Horse
24-11-2008, 09:00 PM
I would love to see some pics of the Spotties from around the beacons. I have pulled truckloads of Schoolies and seen Spaniards pulled off them but can't recall too many Spotties for some reason. They don't seem to be attracted by the type of structure beacons provide. A few Sptties being pulled now must be a good sign for the season coming up

business class
25-11-2008, 12:38 PM
we got into the spotties and blues on Sat at Palm Beach Reef. Blues were all small prob the smallest i ever seen as they were averageing only 80cm, but spotties were a solid 3.5 maybe 4 if i was lucky. We also caught quite a few on Plastics witch was quite exciting.

Cheers
Matty

scarby
29-11-2008, 04:29 PM
Hi there fellow Ausfisher's.

Just would like to know if there has been any mackeral or tuna spotted or caught in the Bay. I havent been fishing in 6mths and am keen to get out on Tuesday morning, launching at Cleveland. I intend to fish the channel (I think it's Rainbow) between Peel & Dunwich upto the South passage.

If there are none about I will go in close offshore, just would love to catch some fish as I'm taking a mate thats never caught a real fish before. I would appreciate any feedback or areas that I should be targeting. Thankyou very much in adavance.:) :) ;D :) :)

These were caught a couple of years ago out in the paddock. Never heard of any caught around the beacons though. ALWAYS NEED PROOF!!!;D

dnej
29-11-2008, 06:24 PM
This might help.Note the fin colour, on the schoolies. ( Circle)
David