PDA

View Full Version : monduran over xmas/boxing day

yellahunter
20-11-2008, 08:19 PM
hey guys,

well im due to visit family up kingaroy way this xmas so thought i would tow t
he boat up and have a fish afterwards, maybe leave xmas afternoon and stay until sat/sun.

Having not been to monduran before im not sure what to expect..
is it likely to be packed to the rafters with people and boats.
any info is appreciated

Cheers,

Ben

eotbmg
21-11-2008, 06:55 AM
Busy mate, very busy. I fish the witching hours though so i dont have to fight the crowds.
If the fishing is hot expect to get your arms stretched, if its not expect to get your arms stretched casting.
Fun trying though
Ben

yellahunter
22-11-2008, 07:56 AM
thanks mate,

i see everyone else is a little reluctant to give out info on the place,
maybe everyone who goes there doesnt want another visitor lol

chewy01
22-11-2008, 08:31 AM
Ben,
like barb said the dark hours are the time to fish.The other thing you will have to contend with is ski boats over that period.Also try n stock up on supplies as rob n kell are usually run off their feet at this time of year.
cheers chewy.

BR65
22-11-2008, 08:41 AM
It will be as full as a public school port rack mate, but Id still be going.
Fish away from the crowds, be on the water and casting before the sun comes up, or fish the evenings.
Big dam, make sure youve got enuf fuel in the boat each day if you want to have a look around. A 12 volt spotty and GPS are a must have for the dark sessions, its as black as the inside of a cows guts up the back when there is no moon.
A lot of the lay down timber is submerged now, so points and weed bed fishing is the go. The options are just about endless, youve just got to figure out the best option on the day. Look for bait, watch your temps, are there birds in that bay feeding or resting, is there nice deep water access available for a panicked fish to flee, morning or arvo dictates which way the shade is laying and therefore which side of structure a wary fish might be resting, keep your eyes open and think about what you see as you move around. Sure, you can hoik a lure over the side and troll, and be successful as well, it all depends what style of fishing you enjoy.
Be persistant, be patient, and most of all, be quiet. Monduran is now starting to be the target for some serious fishing pressure, crowds are right up in the last 12 months, and to be consistanly successful will mean moveing away from the mob.
If theres anything else ya want to know, bang it up, and someone will do their best to answer.

nipsta
22-11-2008, 07:31 PM
It will be as full as a public school port rack mate, but Id still be going.
Fish away from the crowds, be on the water and casting before the sun comes up, or fish the evenings.
Big dam, make sure youve got enuf fuel in the boat each day if you want to have a look around. A 12 volt spotty and GPS are a must have for the dark sessions, its as black as the inside of a cows guts up the back when there is no moon.
A lot of the lay down timber is submerged now, so points and weed bed fishing is the go. The options are just about endless, youve just got to figure out the best option on the day. Look for bait, watch your temps, are there birds in that bay feeding or resting, is there nice deep water access available for a panicked fish to flee, morning or arvo dictates which way the shade is laying and therefore which side of structure a wary fish might be resting, keep your eyes open and think about what you see as you move around. Sure, you can hoik a lure over the side and troll, and be successful as well, it all depends what style of fishing you enjoy.
Be persistant, be patient, and most of all, be quiet. Monduran is now starting to be the target for some serious fishing pressure, crowds are right up in the last 12 months, and to be consistanly successful will mean moveing away from the mob.
If theres anything else ya want to know, bang it up, and someone will do their best to answer.

well said brain it should be a good time to be there that is for sure but i reckon alot may not travel due to christmas being family time with the rellys but i may be wrong

nipsta
22-11-2008, 09:39 PM
mate i would go as this dam has become so popular that its busy all the time yet when you are on the water it still seems like you have plenty of places to fish where no one is. But remeber this it is not easy going up there also due to the fact there are so many areaas that all look good and look the same yet the barra could be at the one you dont try so my tip would be to find a spot a bay where you hsave it too ya self and flog the living death out of it cause if you move you could be driving away from the fish . they can be shy but they do come on the chew at some stage of the day trust me i been there and done that heaps of times and have drove away from the fish what i do now is pick a spot i feel there is fish and work it for quiet a while even if it means tying of to a tree and repeat cast varying ya action that works too .
the other thing is to listen to anyone who has been catching them there is sometimes little tips on what and where things are working even if you think they are telling porky pies
good luck and hope you go and have a go and strike it lucky for xmas

Tropicaltrout
23-11-2008, 07:13 AM
Mate just go

It was fairly quiet last year I belive, but it wont be this year I reckon I may do a dash up boxing day.

Fishing wise plan for time on the water, simular to what Brian said look for the varibles in the water (bait, birds, habbitate water movement which i belive was a factor this last few weeks) If you are a troller type thats good just jump in the que you will see this as you leave the ramp and round the corner of the gourge (trust me you cant miss it) We have all done it and all caught fish so its a ways to catching a fish go for it

The camp is fantastic great umenities camp kitchen is a cracker and all is well maintained there the odd roo and possum, green tree frogs on the tanks of a night and fire rings all over for the night time beer a nibbles.

Enjoy mate hope you get a few.

Nath

Whitto
24-11-2008, 06:40 AM
hey guys,

well im due to visit family up kingaroy way this xmas so thought i would tow t
he boat up and have a fish afterwards, maybe leave xmas afternoon and stay until sat/sun.

Having not been to monduran before im not sure what to expect..
is it likely to be packed to the rafters with people and boats.
any info is appreciated

Cheers,

Ben It would be a shame to be so close and not visit Ben....U will be there when the Barra are getting more active everyday.....I imagine the Camp grounds (second to none)will be busy over Christmas but thats OK U will meet some great people, for me it's the Occasion.. The Camping a few ales around a fire having a chat with others, comparing gear and learning how when and why to fish for these Great fish....Go do it u will not regret it (promise)....I hope u do well and nail a few (it won't be the last time u fish Monduran).....Cheers Whitto