PDA

View Full Version : putting pods on 18' sharkcat

ifishcq1
19-11-2008, 08:18 PM
Hi Guys
one of my fishing partners (Snapperhead) is looking to get pods for his sharkcat because he reckons it needs to crack the 20' mark to span the short sharp chop we get here a bit like Moreton bay
he loves the boat on the whole over nearly all conditions except for that punching into the close chop

All you cat blokes have tried just about every trick in the book between you all so any advice would be very welcome it is a great little boat so he doesn't want to do the wrong thing

Thanks

SL

Noelm
20-11-2008, 12:51 PM
there is quite a few around that have had pods added, not too sure if add ons are worth it, but there is planty around, probably be good if you can find an original one that had pods from new I think grunter71 still has his, see if you can measure the whole lot, to get size, shape and fitting height.

Olly
20-11-2008, 01:24 PM
Just so happens someone has loaned me a magazine with an article on exactly that. I can send details if you like. PM me if I can help

Ratman
20-11-2008, 01:48 PM
Whats the name of the Mag, Olly?

Mick

Olly
20-11-2008, 04:03 PM
Jeff Websters Second Hand Boat workshop ( second edition) I cant find a date, I think its a couple of years old, so probably won't be freely available.

sharkcat one
20-11-2008, 07:55 PM
Hi IFISHCQ
i am a boat builder on the gold coast and i have a number of pod moulds that might suit. i have done this type of conversion many times on cats, we normaly
cut out the engine wells and blank in the transom and add a platform between
the two pods . if you do it yourself or get someone else to do it make sure you
put some kind of deflector on the pods otherwise you will have very wet engines
in rough seas.

hope this helps

Ratman
21-11-2008, 09:36 AM
Sl,

Do you have any pics of Snapperhead's rig mate?

Mick

ifishcq1
21-11-2008, 05:31 PM
thanks guys for the responce

Ratman here are the only pics he has at the minute

cheers

SL

Ratman
21-11-2008, 05:36 PM
Thanks SL, I'm thinking of doing the same thing, but need to weight up the costs against benefits. Cheers, Mick

Fatenhappy
22-11-2008, 04:53 PM
I know when I went right into possibly doing the conversion for our 23'ter, ARK engineering at Virginia do the whole kit and caboodle (twin ally pods that have been 2 packed) for a grand. They were a very straight and tidy set up.

From what he was saying at the time he supplys the pods for Noosa Cat ....