PDA

View Full Version : towing blow up toys

Seahorse
19-11-2008, 05:13 PM
i want to buy a blow up toy for people to ride behind boat.
When i bought the boat there is tubing in tramsom to put in a ski pole.
I got 5m stacer runabout ( baymaster).
what is best way to hook up the ropes and best way to set up pole ie height and any fittings.
Also what is best toy to buy.
I will be towing people around 80kg mark.

Cheers
Greg

goldfish
19-11-2008, 06:04 PM
hi greg.
for towing tubes (blow up toys) the hight dosn't have to be that high just above the motor is enough. (the high poles you see on boats are for wakeboards ect) conect the rope with stainless ski rope fittings & ONLY use ski/tube rope. you can buy a tube ropes from most boat/sports places about $35.00 will cover it. as for the tube it depends on your hp. but most boats (40hp up) will tow a single tube but if you want a dbl one you will need the hp to tow it. make sure the person in the tube has a ski vest (not a life jacket) make sure you have a spotter on the boat . make sure all persons involved know the rules. & remember your boat can become 32metres wide (boat & tube side by side) if your not sure about anything go to 1 of the ski ramps & watch & talk to a few people (they don't bite) it is a great sport & a heap of fun for adults & kids alike but it can go horribly wrong very quickly. there have been a few deths over the years because people have thought thats fun lets give it a try.
ps. if your thinking about the flying tubes (boy don't they look fun) most states in the us have baned them & i belive they will be baned here soon to.
cheers
rick

Seahorse
19-11-2008, 06:24 PM
Rick
Thanks mate. Thats all good info.
I guess someone like bias or bcf?
I was only thinking of single tube.
Do you know of a good one?
I will get proper vest.
Is it ok to do this on a normal boat licience?
I take the point on the width.
I got 75hp on my boat.
Do i need to let insurence comp know?
I am very careful and realise the responabilities.
Thats all good.

Cheers
Greg

seabug
19-11-2008, 06:58 PM
Hi seahorse,
I just insured my 4.85m Quintrex x60hp Mercury last week and they were very insistant that I could not tow skiers-wakeboards or anything without the extra for towing skiers insurance.

They will not pay a claim caused by towing if that cover has not been purchased.
Regards
seabug

datamile
19-11-2008, 07:18 PM
Remember in QLD a licence holder must be the operator and a 12+ person must observe.

I tend to find that tube really put the front up out of water when you have a heavy tow and high ski pole. Some people perfer a bridle for that instead of the ski pole.

http://www.whitworths.com.au/main_itemdetail.asp?cat=101&item=78287&intAbsolutePage=1

goldfish
19-11-2008, 08:48 PM
yes you only need a boat licence. ski hooks & a bridle good but a ski pole can make it a bit eaiser to keep ropes & props seperated. (as its easier to grab the rope without leaning over the back of the boat) just make sure your pole is above the motor a foot or so would do, you don't want it too high. & yes you do need to tell your insurance company. most of them don't charge any extra they just want to know. as for tubes theu are all about the same but get a good quality one. mines a "evolution" its about 6 years old & still going good but getting tatty. look at ones over $100. but you wont need the $200 ones (unless you want)
hope this helps
cheers
rick

tunaticer
19-11-2008, 08:55 PM
Geez, thats a relief!!! I thought someone would have gone for the other avenue with this thread for sure!

Jack.

goldfish
19-11-2008, 09:17 PM
Geez, thats a relief!!! I thought someone would have gone for the other avenue with this thread for sure!

Jack.
it crossed the mind, lol but i've only told him what tube i use he can buy what ever toy he likes lol http://www.ausfish.com.au/vforum/images/icons/icon10.gif http://www.ausfish.com.au/vforum/images/icons/icon10.gif http://www.ausfish.com.au/vforum/images/icons/icon10.gif ;D

Seahorse
19-11-2008, 09:34 PM
i will watch my thread wording from now on.
good on ya fellas

cheers
greg

sheridan
19-11-2008, 09:38 PM
Hi Seahorse
Go to an aldi store they had tubes with tow rope quite good and cheap nearly bought one for the grandkids in cairns but had to get it up there they had all sorts of water sport stuff including inflatiable boats all pretty cheap and i have found most of their products pretty good quality

Geoff

Noelm
20-11-2008, 07:09 AM
never did like the term "blow up" anything, I prefer inflatable myself, Like who goes to the Servo to "blow up" their tyres, not me, I go to pump them up or inflate them.

Dirtysanchez
20-11-2008, 02:37 PM
Geez, I was just wondering how I get her to hold onto the rope ?:-[

Az
20-11-2008, 04:24 PM

:D ;D nice 1!!!

wags on the water
20-11-2008, 04:29 PM

It's called GAFFA tape......;D ;D ;D

Dirtysanchez
20-11-2008, 04:47 PM
Come on wags, Gaffa tape fails in the wet !
Cable ties maybe ?

Blackened
20-11-2008, 04:47 PM
It's called GAFFA tape......;D ;D ;D

G'day

Old trick from the mines is it mike?

Dave

goldfish
20-11-2008, 04:53 PM
with the right horsepower & a short chop she would have to be 1 hell of a ride. ;D ;D

Seahorse
25-11-2008, 05:31 PM
what type of pole should i get?
whats is best way to set it up.
i already go hole in transom, and a sleeve to put in a pole.
it was there from factory, but didnt get the pole, so it will just drop in.
the pole will need to be 50mm outside measurement.
A pole about 1100 long will get me through transom and about 2 ft over top of motor.

cheers
greg

Blackened
25-11-2008, 06:38 PM
G'day

Something with as thick a wall as possible, and a section welded on top for the rope to sit in, I'm sure any good alloy welder could condure something up?

Would it be worth a phone call to Col at fisher?

Dave

fisho ricko
25-11-2008, 07:16 PM
Hey Greg,

Stacer actually do a ski pole specifically made for that hole, i ended up getting one to tow my kids around in my Stacer 469 Sunmaster then i just use a standard tube rope. I picked mine up from a dealer on the northside for bout $250 (a year ago). And they had a good range of tubes as well, i just went just a single round tube as only have two kids, and didn't want both in water at the same time till there a bit older.

Cheers
fisho ricko

kingtin
28-11-2008, 11:05 PM
Greg, I've got a stacer pole if you want to give it a try before buying.

Just be careful with the insurance mate. Mine nearly doubles If I'm towing.

kev

datamile
28-11-2008, 11:28 PM
BCF have got a tube , rope and bridle for just $99

http://www.bcf.com.au/index.aspx?path=catalogue&ccid=2&cid=221&curpage=1

Seahorse
29-11-2008, 03:06 PM
Thanks Kev.
I am glad you replied. It just reminded me how much of a slacko iam.
I still got ur sounder book. i will give u a ring next week.
My num is o411643128.
Text me ur ph number.
Do u wanta sell the pole?
I think they are about 1100 long with couple brackets on side to bolt to transom.
Is that the same.

Cheers
Greg

kingtin
30-11-2008, 01:19 PM
Thanks Kev.
I am glad you replied. It just reminded me how much of a slacko iam.
I still got ur sounder book. i will give u a ring next week.
My num is o411643128.
Text me ur ph number.
Do u wanta sell the pole?
I think they are about 1100 long with couple brackets on side to bolt to transom.
Is that the same.

Cheers
Greg

You shoulda stayed shtum Greg...............I'd forgotten all about the sounder book :-)

Can't sell the pole as it doubles up for holding my bait board and the kids like being towed now and again. I have a hole in my transom specifically for the pole which drops down and sits in another hole in the floor. No other securing and yeah, it's 1100 long.

I'll pm you my number.

kev

Seahorse
30-11-2008, 08:08 PM
Thanks kev.
Will ring u during the week.

Cheers
Mate

Ron173
01-12-2008, 06:23 AM
We started tubing, then ski-ing, eventually sold tinnie n bought EFI V8 ski boat....... you been warned where it can go .....LOL
You really need to get proper Stacer add on ski pole as loading can be very heavy on it.
You also need +++ HP, we had 90, which would tow 2 skiers just, n struggle to pull up a single.

Def tell ins co, its not a big add on, but a get out for them if not told.

Ron

griz066
01-12-2008, 02:02 PM
I attach 2 tubes to the ski pole and 1 on each transom hook and away you go. Just make sure that all the tubes are level, I have to shorten the 2 outside ropes to line up with the 2 that are attached to the ski pole as it is mounted in front of the motor about 18" forward of the transom hooks.
The kids just love it, and taking 4 at a time leaves less kids waiting on the bank for their turn.