PDA

View Full Version : fish i.d

mister twister
19-11-2008, 02:02 PM
Just wondering what type of fish this is? Caught in Logan river around the River Lakes golf course area Cornubia. Fish had a very orange tinge to it, which doesn't show up in photos very good, fish didn't have sharp teeth.

Thanks

macca3441
19-11-2008, 02:05 PM
Dont know the correct name, but up here around Mackay, we call them "Goldies" or river jew!
Hopefully, someone can correctly id this fish, as I'd be interested to know

Macca

Raesen
19-11-2008, 03:46 PM
Agree with Macca above looks like a river jew however the head looks like a sort of "putty nosed perch" (dont know the formal name).

With all the evironmental issues of today or toxic waste it maybe a hybrid of some sort???? :)

Perhaps a "putty nosed jew perch"!!!! ;)

Will be interested to hear from others.
Cheers
Pete

FNQCairns
19-11-2008, 04:05 PM
No idea, interested if anyone can get it down to genus and species.

cheers fnq

struktcha_man
19-11-2008, 04:26 PM
In Bris they call them Brisbane River Perch ,
they have the snub nose and a distinct pinky hue.

I also just read they had an absense from the Brisbane river for 30 years and are just reappearing , I seen them caught recently in the Bris river too.

Sorry thats all I know but that might get you a lead to their real name (scientific, genus ect) and some info on them, I googled Brisbane River Perch but not much came up.

Dan

ifishcq1
19-11-2008, 06:15 PM
River perch (johniops vogleri ) without doubt
some guys call them little jew, salmon jew because of the nose
and others even call them soapy jew but they aren't
they like better quality water as a rule so catching them in a system means it is reasonable
they range from about Rocky to Bris in bigger numbers and right up north in small schools
the difference between them and other jew is the nose, the number of scales on the lat line and the rear dorsal fins segments I can't remember the exact number off hand

cheers
SL

FNQCairns
19-11-2008, 06:45 PM
SL here is a link to johniops vogleri

http://fishbase.fishinfo.cn/Summary/SpeciesSummary.php?id=15263

Do you still think they are the same fish? Myself I dunno, close but that nose...?

cheers fnq

lippa
19-11-2008, 07:01 PM
we called them putty nosed perch, used to get them heaps down the pine river.
the schooled up near the oaks, which was between deepwater bend and dohles rocks. they never had much size though, best propbaly being 25 cm. never kept one, but would imagine they'd be tasty.

cheeers

lippa

FNQCairns
19-11-2008, 07:05 PM
What about this croaker??

http://www.eol.org/taxa/17060955

cheers fnq

FNQCairns
19-11-2008, 07:14 PM
Chasing this fish all over the net, thinking now it might be Johnius australis (bottlenose jewfish) but having trouble finding a pic.

cheers fnq

ifishcq1
19-11-2008, 07:47 PM
Hi FNQ

they are similar but no cigar, worth a shot though
it is definately a river jew
fish base only has the borneensis picture not the vogleri
the nose is different more like a grunter (javlin) and it is very silver while the the vogleri has a pinky orange sort of gleem it also has large scales with54 to 56 scales on the lateral line while the borneensis has a bigger number of
small scales

the other fish is very similar as well it could even be the same species evolved area specific a bit like barras

Cheers
SL

straddie
19-11-2008, 08:07 PM
Interesting one, certainly not the puttynose perch I know as they have a fork tail and not what I call a river perch because they don't have a mouth like that.

Looks like a deadset little jewie until you go forward of the eyes, will interested if any can pin it down.

FNQCairns
19-11-2008, 08:23 PM
Here is a great PDF with all of them, the australis so far is my pic, the vogleri is a synonym for the borneensis.

Does anyone think the Australis in the PDF below is the one? if not any other thats close.

I think I have a pic of the vogleri/boreiensis we caught up here once will try and find it for interest. knew it might have been a croaker as it also croaked and scared my daughter but never which one it could have been.

There are so many of these croakers!!

ftp://ftp.fao.org/docrep/fao/009/y0770e/y0770e36.pdf

cheers fnq

Freeeedom
19-11-2008, 08:25 PM
Yeah - I think it's a "little jewfish" Johnius australis according to Grant - also known as a grassy jew or river perch. I used to catch quite a few in the Pine River especially on prawn baits, but haven't caught one for years. According to Grant they grow to about 30cm so that one is about as big as they get.
The putty nose perch is a small threadfin, yellow in colour with a deeply forked tail so it's definitely not one of them
Cheers Freeeedom

FNQCairns
19-11-2008, 08:57 PM
Here is the one we caught

http://i60.photobucket.com/albums/h35/fnqcairns/DSCF00188.jpg

cheers fnq

BobbyJ123
20-11-2008, 05:13 AM
Chasing this fish all over the net, thinking now it might be Johnius australis (bottlenose jewfish) but having trouble finding a pic.

cheers fnq
G'day mate, according to Grant's Guide to Fishes, it is the bottlenose jewfish (johnius australis). However, I cannot find any photos of it.

cbruh1
20-11-2008, 10:04 AM
Well what ever it is, I also caught one in the logan river at the logan and albert river junction september last year. Had no idea what it was, I thought it was some sort of a jew, I took a photo and released back.

Peter4
20-11-2008, 10:33 AM
Common in the Logan River - known as river jew or little river jew. Caught usually on worms or prawns in the deeper holes, we got a dozen or so one day a few years back.........

mister twister
20-11-2008, 11:25 AM
Thanks for the input. This is an interesting one.