PDA

View Full Version : sealing up internal drain hole - update now borers

Jeremy
19-11-2008, 08:33 AM
I have just discovered that there seems to be a drain hole in my transom of my V146C. I found about 20 litres of water under the floor after a fish on the weekend and was wondering how it got in there. There are two bungs, one which drains under the floor and one which drains from the fuel tank well.

So I screwed the top bung in whcih drains the fuel tank well and put a bucket of water on the floor, and it came straight out the bottom bung hole under the floor. Much too fast to be seepage or a leak, so there mush be a deliberate drain hole there. Bit of a look this morning and there seems to be a bit of a hole at the bow end of the bung hole which must be the drain.

Is this common?

Bit of a problem for me. It is a fully sealed floor, so I do not want water getting in there, and there is no way to get it out once there other than pulling her out and draining from the bungs. I have put a bilge in the back of the fuel tank well to get water off the floor, but it is useless anyway while it drains to under the floor.

So I want to seal up this drain......
1. Sikaflex it to buggery? Might be the odd bit of fuel spilled on the floor during fueling draining out the bung, but I can always follow it with some fresh water to dilute it.
2. Fibreglass it?
3. what else?

Thanks,
Jeremy

Noelm
19-11-2008, 12:41 PM
not exactly sure what you mean, but I guess there must be a dozen different fuel and oil proof sealers around that will do the job.

Vitamin Sea
19-11-2008, 01:23 PM
I have just discovered that there seems to be a drain hole in my transom of my V146C. I found about 20 litres of water under the floor after a fish on the weekend and was wondering how it got in there. There are two bungs, one which drains under the floor and one which drains from the fuel tank well.

So I screwed the top bung in whcih drains the fuel tank well and put a bucket of water on the floor, and it came straight out the bottom bung hole under the floor. Much too fast to be seepage or a leak, so there mush be a deliberate drain hole there. Bit of a look this morning and there seems to be a bit of a hole at the bow end of the bung hole which must be the drain.

Is this common?

Bit of a problem for me. It is a fully sealed floor, so I do not want water getting in there, and there is no way to get it out once there other than pulling her out and draining from the bungs. I have put a bilge in the back of the fuel tank well to get water off the floor, but it is useless anyway while it drains to under the floor.

So I want to seal up this drain......
1. Sikaflex it to buggery? Might be the odd bit of fuel spilled on the floor during fueling draining out the bung, but I can always follow it with some fresh water to dilute it.
2. Fibreglass it?
3. what else?

Thanks,
Jeremy

Jeremy

do you have a photo of the area? may help

ps: how did you go Friday?

regards

bill

Jeremy
19-11-2008, 02:04 PM
OK, few photos.
1. looking at transom from outside showing the two bung holes. Bung has been removed from top hole.
2. from inside the fuel tank well looking back towards the transom showing the top bung hole draining the fuel tank well
3. close up shot of the bung hole. By touch, the drain seems to be immediately inside the hole on the fuel tank side and you can almost see it in the photo - looks a bit more greenish.

Jeremy
19-11-2008, 02:08 PM
I can't get a closer shot than that with my camera, but the 'drain' into the under floor cavity comes from within this bung hole. Hope I am making a bit more sense now.

PS. Bill, yes had a few runs and got one fish in the river.

Chimo
19-11-2008, 03:10 PM
Hi Jeremy

If this was a human it might be time for anti-biotics!

As its a boat and if it was mine I'd be thinking seriously about cutting an inspection hole; that you can cover with a screw in cap; if all is better than it seems to be in that last pic.

How sound is the timber etc in the so called "sealed section"?

Hope I'm worried for no reason but sure would be nice to know.

Cheers
Chimo

finding_time
19-11-2008, 03:22 PM
I agree with chimo put a spinout in!! you'll be able to use it to both sus out what's going on and remove it for ventilation when it's at home!

ian

Jeremy
19-11-2008, 03:25 PM
The transom 'seems' to be rock solid. I can't detect any flex if I lean on the outboard. We did find a small patch of rotten, soggy timber when installing the transducer tho. The two bung holes are well away from the outboard bolts, so it is possible that there is some rot in the lower section - which by the way is about 50mm thick.

Chimo
19-11-2008, 03:31 PM
Neither FT or I are talking about the transom, the issue is whats happening under the floor ie in the bottom possibly heading towards the transom which you seem to be confirming could have an issue when you talked about the transducer.

Chimo

FNQCairns
19-11-2008, 03:37 PM
To me I am guessing the previous owner got sick of rain and water from cleaning etc pooling inside then syphoning and rags to be rid of it so he got the drill and bit out, good plan, but upon drilling he found a void in the transom that opens underfloor.

I think the top bung is a great idea and worth keeping, to fix you could get some conduit that's a close match to the diameter of the hole and use epoxy as the glue and filler around the conduit when inserted, or you could use marine polyurethane instead of epoxy.

cheers fnq

Jeremy
19-11-2008, 04:20 PM
Neither FT or I are talking about the transom, the issue is whats happening under the floor ie in the bottom possibly heading towards the transom which you seem to be confirming could have an issue when you talked about the transducer.

Chimo

Hi Chimo, afraid I am still not following::) . Do you mean the floor of the boat which I stand on or the bottom 'hull' of the boat. I didn't think there was any timber in the 'hull', so what is the potential issue to be concerned about?

Thanks

Jeremy
19-11-2008, 04:24 PM
To me I am guessing the previous owner got sick of rain and water from cleaning etc pooling inside then syphoning and rags to be rid of it so he got the drill and bit out, good plan, but upon drilling he found a void in the transom that opens underfloor.

I think the top bung is a great idea and worth keeping, to fix you could get some conduit that's a close match to the diameter of the hole and use epoxy as the glue and filler around the conduit when inserted, or you could use marine polyurethane instead of epoxy.

cheers fnq

Thanks for the suggestion FNQ. I don't think it could have been a drill, as it seems to be 'inside' the bung hole. No way to get a drill pointed downwards there. Also the hole as far as I can tell by feel is not round.

The conduit will be the go I think. PVC pipe or rubber hose? You mean the same two-pack epoxy I used to seal timber? Sikaflex no good? Marine polyurethane ie fibreglass resin?

Jeremy

FNQCairns
19-11-2008, 04:53 PM
Thanks for the suggestion FNQ. I don't think it could have been a drill, as it seems to be 'inside' the bung hole. No way to get a drill pointed downwards there. Also the hole as far as I can tell by feel is not round.

The conduit will be the go I think. PVC pipe or rubber hose? You mean the same two-pack epoxy I used to seal timber? Sikaflex no good? Marine polyurethane ie fibreglass resin?

Jeremy

yeah just some pvc long enough to make it from inside to just shy of outside, polyurethane is sika 621 (I think) or the 3M marine equivalents, yeah 2 pac works but probably will need some talc added to make it more paste like.

The hole that drains down directly inside is probably a void from the manufacturing process being that low in the works. I don't think the bloke that drilled the new bung hole was counting on it being there.

cheers fnq

Chimo
19-11-2008, 05:03 PM
JeremyQuote:
Originally Posted by Chimo http://www.ausfish.com.au/vforum/images/buttons/viewpost.gif (http://www.ausfish.com.au/vforum/showthread.php?p=930825#post930825)

Chimo

Hi Chimo, afraid I am still not following::) . Do you mean the floor of the boat which I stand on or the bottom 'hull' of the boat. I didn't think there was any timber in the 'hull', so what is the potential issue to be concerned about?

Thanks

boat-all fibreglass [Archive] - Ausfish Australian Fishing Forums (http://www.ausfish.com.au/vforum/archive/index.php/t-70247.html)linkscanner://safe.gif/ (http://javascript<b></b>:void(0))
17 posts
The old haines hunter v146c we redid had wood in the transom and wood under a layer of glass for the floors. Stringers where all hollow fibreglass box type. ...
www.ausfish.com.au/vforum/archive/index.php/t-70247.html - 13k - Cached (http://209.85.173.132/search?q=cache:Ls2YO3P2N94J:www.ausfish.com.au/vforum/archive/index.php/t-70247.html+Haine+Hunter+V146C&hl=en&ct=clnk&cd=4&gl=au) - Similar pages (http://www.google.com.au/search?hl=en&cr=countryAU&safe=off&q=related:www.ausfish.com.au/vforum/archive/index.php/t-70247.html)
More results from www.ausfish.com.au » (http://www.google.com.au/search?hl=en&cr=countryAU&safe=off&q=+site:www.ausfish.com.au+Haine+Hunter+V146C)

Jeremy

I think you will find that there is wood in there and wet wood that rots etc aint a good thing.

This sounds good tho."Stringers w?ere all hollow fibreglass box type. ..."

Maybe read the thread 'whiteants in the play pen' to give you an idea of wood in boats and what is involved in overcoming issues like rot and ants. The ants are a bit on the extreme side but one lesson shared was dont carry firewood to your campsite in your wooden framed fibreglass boat!!:-[

Cheers
Chimo

PS http://www.ausfish.com.au/vforum/showthread.php?t=66409&highlight=playpen

Jeremy
20-11-2008, 08:12 AM
thanks again for all replies. I will probably put a spinout/inspection hatch in the floor and some conduit through the top bung hole. Hopefully no more to do than that.
Jeremy

Jeremy
20-11-2008, 09:03 PM
found some conduit and had another look today. got rid of some pieces of flaking fibreglass from within the top bung hole into a bucket of water under the bungs and found a bloody BORER swimming in the bucket. Without a book I am as sure as I can be that it is a borer. Had some borer insecticide at home some made some up and sprayed it all around inside the bottom bung hole. I will give it a flush out tomorrow with some water and see if any more come out. Update again then!

jimbo59
21-11-2008, 07:31 AM
Hey jeremy if you want i can have a look for you, it really needs a good going over.That hole letting in fresh water and the fact that you found some soft wood in the transom doesnt look good...jim

Jeremy
21-11-2008, 07:35 AM
gave it a wash out this morning with a couple of buckets of fresh water and no dead borers came out, so may not be so bad.

PM sent to Jimbo59

finga
21-11-2008, 07:59 AM
Mate, Scalem had the same drama's with his boat after the new transom went in.
The water was going down between the fiberglass and timber.
He only found the problem after I made a doova that would pressurise the sealed underfloor section and listened and looked for the 'escape' path of the air.
It ended up been pretty well the same as your problem. They simply driled the hole after everything was finished and did not bother to seal the surrounding surfaces of the drain hole.
Short story version....he sealed the outside of the hole with some resin and jobs done.
http://www.ausfish.com.au/vforum/showthread.php?t=107155&highlight=finga