PDA

View Full Version : Glue or sealant resistant to petrol?

geoffmck
19-11-2008, 05:50 AM
I have some of those plastic fuel tanks with screw in plastic fittings and the thread is a bit worn. I have used thread tape but I am still not happy with the security of the fittings. Is there a glue or sealant that I can coat the threads with to seal/lock the fitting in securely? Once it is in, I can't see that I will ever want to remove it again. Thanks.

foxx510
19-11-2008, 06:43 AM
The problem is that almost nothing sticks to the Poly plastic. The only way I've been able to work on them is by melting more poly of the same type into it using a hot air gun. I used old milk cartons, you just match up the recycling numbers. Of course, it will blow up if there is fuel vapour in there.

iceknight
19-11-2008, 08:32 AM
theres a white loctight sealant i use down the workshop. its a liquid then dries. semi soft still, mercury reccomend it for just about every fittings. i coat all my boat fittings in it and have never had a problem. i cant think of the code number it is, but i can look today and post it tonight if you like,

dreemon
19-11-2008, 09:39 AM
Theres a product called J B Weld, resistant to everything including high heat, I used it to fix a cracked diesel engine block where water would leak out, all the other chemicals just clogged the cooling system, this stuff was applied to the ext of block over 2 yrs ago and still good ;D, it's a 2 part type of glue and takes overnight to go off, it has to be the absolute stongest and stickiest glue I have ever used, dries grey in colour, you can sand/drill/file etc. but it does cost $ 25 bux for the 2 tubes, it does go a long way though, I got it at Bursons auto, Cheers

Ian1
19-11-2008, 10:09 AM
The Loctite product Iceknight is refering to is Loctite 567 thread sealer. As the name suggests it is for sealing threads and is very good for that but it won't act as a thread lock because it does not fully harden. Excellent stuff for fuel fittings tho.

Cheers

Ian

tunaticer
19-11-2008, 05:04 PM
Loctite master pipe and gasket sealant is designed for fuel / oil systems. It handles engine temperatures very easily and does not set rock hard to start cracking.

Jack.

geoffmck
19-11-2008, 09:25 PM
Thanks for the advice so far. Is that type of locktight readily available? Where should I look for it?

oldboot
19-11-2008, 11:01 PM
Standard blue loctite 243( I think) has pretty damn good fuel resistance.

there are a couple of others that are better, one soft and one hard.

I;ll read the bottle and report back tomorrow.

Yeh the poly may present a problem.....

cheers

gofishin
20-11-2008, 07:24 AM
From memory the material used for poly fuel tanks is a special type of PE (polyethylene) called cross-linked PE. Standard PE is not suitable for long term use with fuel. I would be wary using milk cartons as a 'build' product on threads.

Stag is a good compound for sealing fuel fittings, though not sure of compatability with PE.

Mad-One
20-11-2008, 07:58 AM
Repco sell most loctite products. Just some of the salesmen don't know what they're lookin for

Mad

Spaniard_King
20-11-2008, 08:05 AM
if you want to seal it up.. use loctite primer then loctite 569 Hydraulic selant.. you must use a steel/stainless fitting for the loctite to go off.. the plastic housing wont matter as long as the fitting is of a steel/stainless type.

I use this on fuel and hydraulic fittings with great results :)

oldboot
20-11-2008, 09:10 AM
Stag is a wonderfull product BUT it is brittle, provides no locking and I would not be confident about it with plastic.

You are better off going to a bearing supplier like BSC for a good range of locktite.

If you want to trawl loctite information go to the us site and search by nunber.
The ausie site is hopeless.

Have youi considered replacing the plastic elbow that comes out of the tank with some sort of brass fitting....I know it may be a fiddle but......

don't know about the stanless thing.

cheers