PDA

View Full Version : Gaden Trout Hatchery To Close

Boomi Boy
17-11-2008, 03:20 PM
A cash strapped NSW Govt has announced the closure of the major Gaden trout hatchery at Jindabyne in its mini budget.

Leigh77
17-11-2008, 05:50 PM
Cant say that I am too dissapointed about that...The reduced supply of an introduced species can only be a good thing.

How trout can be regarded so highly when carp are hated by all, will always baffle me. An introduced species is an introduced species...no matter how you look at it.

Leigh.

flyfisho
17-11-2008, 07:18 PM
Go to agree with Leigh here as well , it can only be good for Re- generation of native species

queenfish
18-11-2008, 06:24 AM
I don't agree with you guys, it's is the only good imported ferul in Aus. I don't see them doing damage like carps or others, and they are mostly in man made dams, and stocked rivers by humans, like the others they won't spread without any human help, and they won't survive if the water is not healthy.

In that case we shouldn't keep catle sheep dogs and cats they are imported too, and cause more damage than anything else.

flyfisho
18-11-2008, 07:36 AM
Yes your right Vince if we didn't have cats they wouldn't net the flats , however we can control dogs a bit easier than a trout.
here are three species affected badly by trout , desirable or not they are Aussie and they should have preference.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/River_blackfish
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Trout_cod
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Macquarie_perch

the conservation section is an interesting read

yellahunter
18-11-2008, 07:43 AM
the reduction of trout in the snowys will see the reduction of fishing in general,
there is no viable angling target there apart from them, nor was there before the trout.

so although i see where you guys are coming from its kinda got to continue down there

flyfisho
18-11-2008, 07:58 AM
I regret not knowing the name of a man I met at Tom Groggin Station, a Victorian property on the Indi River near Mt Kosciusko, who told me that he worked at Tom Groggin before he enlisted in the army and went to the first World War. He had fished the Indi before he left and it carried a great number of blue nose [trout cod], white eye [Macquarie perch] and greasies . While he was at war, he even dreamt about fishing the Indi. When he came home he returned to his old job at Tom Groggin and announced that before he did any work, he wanted to go fishing. Very quickly he caught a fish about a foot (30cm) in length, the like of which he had never seen before. So intrigued was he by this strange spotted but nicely shaped fish that he immediately took it to the homestead thinking it was something quite unique. At the homestead, he was told it was a brown trout. From that time both the white eye [Macquarie perch] and the blue nose [trout cod] numbers went into decline, while the numbers of brown and rainbow trout increased. To my mind, this man did do something remarkable, he had set a very positive timeframe of a change over of fish species in the Indi River. [B]Heads and Tales: Recollections of a Fisheries and Wildlife Officer.

You may find this interesting Ben asthere certainly was fishing options in the same area before the introduced species.

shayned
18-11-2008, 08:46 AM
Interestingly enough if the site isn't sold the infrastructure doesn't go away, something of an opportunity for some enterprising group wouldn't you say??

queenfish
18-11-2008, 10:19 AM
Chris Don't get me whrong I agree with you, native fish small or large have priority to any imported fish, by shutting down the hatchery they are not going to improve the native fish, or eradicate,unless they use the hatchery for natives, but they don't want to do that either.

All they want is penny pinching, yet southern states economy thrives on it.
You could say, they could fish for natives, that's another story.

Hot_Snappa
18-11-2008, 11:45 AM
How trout can be regarded so highly when carp are hated by all, will always baffle me. An introduced species is an introduced species...no matter how you look at it.

Leigh.

Thought that would be easy to understand.........carp absolutely destroy any waterway they inhabit, ever seen some of the rivers that are infested with carp? Now have a look at some of the pristine trout waters ie Lake Jindabyne, Lake Eucumbene!
Trout are quite nice for the table (of course that is a matter of personal choice), however you don't see too many dining on lightly grilled fillets of carp!;D
Must say that I agree in principal about introduced species, but I do consider Trout to be one of the better introduced species!
Just my thoughts

Dave

Leigh77
18-11-2008, 11:59 AM
Thought that would be easy to understand.........carp absolutely destroy any waterway they inhabit, ever seen some of the rivers that are infested with carp? Now have a look at some of the pristine trout waters ie Lake Jindabyne, Lake Eucumbene!
Trout are quite nice for the table (of course that is a matter of personal choice), however you don't see too many dining on lightly grilled fillets of carp!;D
Must say that I agree in principal about introduced species, but I do consider Trout to be one of the better introduced species!
Just my thoughts

Dave

My local rivers have quite large populations of carp in them, so yes I have seen rivers "infested" with carp. But I wouldnt say that they absolutely detroy the habitat...yes they cause damage, but I think the damage directly related to carp is a lot less then what they get blamed for. (cant believe I just stuck-up for the carp).

There are many people out there that do enjoy eating carp...I personally know 5 people who eat them and they continually tell me how good they are, but there is no chance of me eating one.

But as I said before...an introduced fish is an introduced fish.

And as for the whole cat/dog/cattle thing...As futile as that arguement is, I will reply with this...If I had my way every cat would be dead dead dead.

Leigh.

John_Coles
18-11-2008, 12:48 PM
For those of you who care about Native Fish they are also closing several native fish hatcheries, so get writing
If like me you care about the NSW Trout fishery as well please send a message to the Rees Gov. details follow:
Closure of Gaden Trout Hatchery - Jindabyne
PLEASE DO SOMETHING ACTION IS NEEDED NOW!

A century of trout stocking poured down the drain for a short term gain.

Fellow anglers,

The NSW government has announced in its Mini-budget of 11 November 2008 cost-cutting
measures including �Consolidation of excess offices and research stations over the next three years
at Alstonville, Berry, Condobolin, Glen Innes, Gosford, Griffith, Temora, and Jindabyne Hatchery.�

On 12 November Hon Ian Macdonald, Minister for Primary Industries announced in a media release
�Eight facilities that are no longer needed by the Department will be closed,� he said. �These facilities
are at Alstonville, Berry, Condobolin, Glen Innes, Gosford, Griffith, Jindabyne Hatchery and Temora.�

So, the primary trout hatchery in NSW, with its irreplaceable stock of disease free trout and salmon,
is �no longer needed�!

The importance of Gaden Trout Hatchery to our trout fishery in NSW hardly needs explaining to
fellow anglers, but it appears that the State government doesn�t understand it at all, and is prepared
to shut or flog off the most important trout fishery asset built in NSW in the last 120 years of trout
fishing.

The only way to stop this happening is to put immediate and intense pressure on the State
government to stop the sale or closure. If you have any interest at all in the future of trout fishing as
a pastime, or in the future of the economies of many regional centres in NSW that depend on fishing
based tourism, PLEASE take some time and contact as many people as you can, by post, email or
phone, and make your views clear.

You should contact members of the NSW Labor government, asking them to reverse this decision;
you should ask members of the NSW opposition parties for support on this issue; you should contact
local government mayors and councillors and express your concern that closure of Gaden Trout
Hatchery will affect local economies; and you should raise the issue in local newspapers.

When writing your letters...

� Write to as many people as possible.
� Keep your letters clear, polite and to the point.
� Address to each person individually (ie not a photocopied letter or group email)
� The portfolios of politicians are noted below�make points that are relevant to their
particular portfolios.
� Also write to your local NSW Member of Parliament. If that person is not listed below, find
their contact details on the NSW Parliament website, www.parliament.nsw.gov.au (http://www.parliament.nsw.gov.au/) <http://www.parliament.nsw.gov.au> (http://www.parliament.nsw.gov.au/) .
� Do not send attachments with emails�put your message directly into the body of the email.
� Numerous individual letters will be more influential than petitions.
Key issues to raise are:

� The importance of trout stocking in NSW�hatcheries have been needed for over a century
to sustain the recreational trout fishery in streams and impoundments.
� The importance of hatcheries being managed by government and anglers who have a desire
for equitable and ongoing availability of fish stocks for public angling.
� The pivotal role of trout fishing in the Snowy Mountains economy, including jobs based on
angling tourists (estimated in 2001 by Dominion Consulting as $70 million per annum)
� The extraordinary contribution made by recreational anglers, clubs and acclimatisation
societies over the past 100 years, volunteering time and effort and contributing the financial
support that made Gaden Trout Hatchery possible in the first place.
� The State government�s ongoing dependence on acclimatisation societies to distribute fish
from the Gaden Trout Hatchery.
� The unique importance of the disease-free trout, brook trout and Atlantic salmon stock held
at Gaden.
� The lack of any other hatchery operation in the State capable of producing significant
amounts of disease free stock.
� The waste of over 50 years of investment in this valuable asset if it is sold to the private
sector for short term financial gain.
Who to contact

An extensive list of suggested contacts follows. At the very least, please send letters to Premier
Nathan Rees and Hon Steve Whan (Member for Monaro). Contact details are on the next page. Also
please send a copy of your letters to Hon Secretary, NSW CFA, GPO Box 84, Sydney 2001, or if
sending email messages, cc to the NSW CFA Hon Secretary Vladimir Diakiw,
diakiwv@optusnet.com.au.

Please contact as many other people on the list as possible. And remember to send this letter on to
other anglers and ask them to do the same.

People to write to, email or call

NSW government

The Hon Nathan Rees (ALP)
Premier of NSW

GPO Box 5341
SYDNEY NSW 2001
Phone (02) 9228 5239
Email thepremier@www.nsw.gov.au (http://www.nsw.gov.au/)

The Hon Steve Whan (ALP)
Member for Monaro

110-112 Monaro Street
QUEANBEYAN NSW 2620
Phone (02) 6299 4899
Email Monaro@parliament.nsw.gov.au

The Hon Ian Macdonald (ALP)
Minister for Primary Industries

Level 33 Governor Macquarie Tower
1 Farrer Place
Sydney NSW 2000
Phone (02) 9228 3344
Email
macdonald.office@macdonald.minister.nsw.gov.au

The Hon Jodi McKay (ALP)
Minister for Tourism
Minister for Small Business

Level 37 Governor Macquarie Tower
1 Farrer Place
SYDNEY 2000
Phone (02) 9228 5668
Email Newcastle@parliament.nsw.gov.au

The Hon Phillip Costa (ALP)
Minister for Rural Affairs
Minister for Regional Development

Level 34 Governor Macquarie Tower
1 Farrer Place
SYDNEY 2000
Phone (02) 9228 5055
Email office@costa.minister.nsw.gov.au

The Hon Kevin Greene (ALP)
Minister for Sport and Recreation

Level 36 Governor Macquarie Tower
1 Farrer Place
SYDNEY NSW 2000
Phone(02) 9228 5331
Email office@greene.minister.nsw.gov.au

NSW opposition and other parties

Mr Andrew Fraser (Nationals)

Shadow Minister for Primary Industries
1/9 Park Avenue,
COFFS HARBOUR NSW 2450
Phone (02) 6652 6500
Email coffsharbour@parliament.nsw.gov.au

Mr Barry O'Farrell (Liberals)
Leader of the Opposition

Parliament House
Macquarie Street
SYDNEY NSW 2000
Phone (02) 9230 2270
Email LOP@parliament.nsw.gov.au

Mr Andrew Stoner (Nationals)
Leader of The Nationals

Parliament House
Macquarie Street
SYDNEY NSW 2000
Phone (02) 9230 2281
Email oxley@parliament.nsw.gov.au

Mr Adrian Piccoli (Nationals)
Shadow Minister for Regional Development

NSW Government Offices
104-110 Banna Avenue,
GRIFFITH NSW 2680
Phone (02) 6962 6644
Email Murrumbidgee@parliament.nsw.gov.au

The Hon. Duncan Gay (Nationals)
Deputy Leader of the Opposition in the Legislative
Council

Parliament House
Macquarie Street
Sydney NSW 2000
Phone (02) 9230 2329
Email duncan.gay@parliament.nsw.gov.au

The Hon George Souris (Nationals)
Shadow Minister for Sport and Recreation

98 Bridge Street,
MUSWELLBROOK NSW 2333
Phone (02) 6543 1065
Email upperhunter@parliament.nsw.gov.au

Mr Donald Page (Nationals)
Shadow Minister for Tourism

Shop 1, 7 Moon Street,
BALLINA NSW 2478
Phone (02) 6686 7522
Email ballina@parliament.nsw.gov.au

The Hon. Robert Brown (The Shooters Party)
Member of the Legislative Council

Parliament House
Macquarie Street
Sydney NSW 2000
Phone (02) 9230 3059
Fax (02) 9230 2613
Email Robert.brown@parliament.nsw.gov.au

Local government

Mr John Cahill
Mayor, Snowy River Shire Council

2 Myack Street, Berridale
Telephone: (02) 6451 1195
Email records@snowyriver.nsw.gov.au

Other Snowy River Shire councillors to write to
at same address:

Deputy Mayor Councillor Neen Pendergast
Councillor Peter Beer
Councillor Bob Frost
Councillor Tony Hayes
Councillor Jan Leckstr�m
Councillor Kris Laird
Councillor John Shumack
Councillor Bill Smits

Mr Vin Good
Mayor, Cooma-Monaro Shire Council

81 Commissioner Street
Cooma 2630
Telephone: (02) 6450 1777
Email: council@cooma.nsw.gov.au

Other Cooma-Monaro Shire councillors to
write to at same address:

Martin Hughes -Councillor
Tony Kaltoum -Councillor
Jenny Lawlis -Councillor
Dean Lynch -Councillor
Stephanie McDonald -Councillor
Roger Norton -Councillor
Jack Nott -Councillor
Winston Phillips -Councillor

Federal government Letters to the editor
Although the Federal government has no direct say in Mr Martyn Pearce
the way recreational fishing is run in NSW, you can still Editor, Cooma-Monaro Express
express your dissatisfaction about the NSW Labor 51-55 Massie Street
government�s closure of Gaden Trout Hatchery to: Cooma NSW 2630
Email editor.cmexpress@ruralpress.com
The Hon Dr Mike Kelly AM, MP (ALP)
Federal Member for Eden Monaro Ms Gail Eastaway
PO Box 6022 Editor, Monaro Post
House of Representatives 220-226 Sharp Street
Parliament House Cooma, NSW, 2630
Canberra ACT 2600 Email info@monaropost.com.au
Email mike.kelly.mp@aph.gov.au
Letters to the Editor
The Hon Tony Burke MP (ALP) Daily Telegraph
Minister for Agriculture, Fisheries and Forestry PO Box 2808
PO Box 6022 Sydney, NSW 2001
House of Representatives Email yoursay@dailytelegraph.com.au
Parliament House
Canberra ACT 2600 Letters to the Editor
Email tony.burke.mp@aph.gov.au Sydney Morning Herald
GPO Box 3771
Sydney 2001
Email letters@smh.com.au
Letters to the Editor
Canberra Times
9 Pirie Street
Fyshwick ACT 2609
Email letters.editor@canberratimes.com.au

Boomi Boy
18-11-2008, 01:45 PM
For those of you who care about Native Fish they are also closing several native fish hatcheries,

John, would you be kind enough to name which native hatcheries have been officially announced for closure, and where this information can be found,

thanks in advance BB

Big bosco 1
18-11-2008, 02:38 PM
[q
sorry it,s just my two cents but there is no such thing as a good introduced ferul especialy one that prays so heavely on our native fry where ever they are introduced and beside in the western rivers where i originate from cod and yellowbelly have turned carp into a food sorce.

bosco>:(

uote=queenfish;930035]I don't agree with you guys, it's is the only good imported ferul in Aus. I don't see them doing damage like carps or others, and they are mostly in man made dams, and stocked rivers by humans, like the others they won't spread without any human help, and they won't survive if the water is not healthy.

In that case we shouldn't keep catle sheep dogs and cats they are imported too, and cause more damage than anything else.[/quote]

bondy99
18-11-2008, 03:48 PM
I'd prefer smoked trout and trout cooked in general and you can eat the bones that are so soft you would not notice. All those idiots that like Carp, go and catch a few and cook those bastards as they are only good for fertliser. Carp compete and stay off all other freshwater species. I know, I have caught nothing but carp in Qld inland waters too.

I'd like to shoot the mongrels that introduced carp into our inland waters. Victoria has the idea of controlling them. It's called electrofishing and place a judas collar on the male and let if go, then track the bugger to females and viola, eradication time, easy to do.

Volunteers, industry and govt should work together in targeting and controlling this mongrel fish (Carp). Thats my spin. Peter

Boomi Boy
18-11-2008, 06:33 PM
John, would you be kind enough to name which native hatcheries have been officially announced for closure, and where this information can be found,

thanks in advance BB

Mr Coles, you make/assist your livelihood guiding trout fishers, so its an obviously biased point of view. You have 24 hours to provide proof of native fish hatchery closures, otherwise your post is declared scare mongereing propaganda, some detail to your claims woulds be of assistance!!

BB

yellahunter
18-11-2008, 07:21 PM
native fish are important to our country dont get me wrong but trout are big business in the southern states. As queenfish said if we ban trout then we must ban dogs, cats, cows, and the lst goes on.

Trout are here to stay, just as they are in NZ.
I think many of the qlders on this site are perhaps a little niave having not lived down south.

flyfisho
18-11-2008, 07:59 PM
Having never fished for spotted slugs I cannot comment on how euphoric it is to be hoity toity. But I will say I would be more stoked sighting in fast running shallow water a snodger Trout Cod than a trout simply because They are native , this although true, is beside the point .
But I agree with you in saying that we are Naive living in QLD why would you care about them (trout and its elitists) its all a bit wanky to me.
And if it keeps those guys out of the awesome native fishing we have in QLD well I am all for trout . besides tweed jackets are meant to be coming back in ... aren't they :-X

Leigh77
18-11-2008, 09:30 PM
lol flyfisho...couldnt of said it better myself.

But all that aside I have spent a bit of time down south and know quite a few streams and creeks that were once alive with Cod and Golden Perch. The trout were introduced and for a while the Cod and Goldens seemed to manage...until the ravenous nature of the trout took over and ate everything they could grab, including the young fry/fingerlings of the native species.

The larger Cod and Goldens either moved on or died out and the trout took over the rivers...so dont tell me that Trout dont do as much damage as the European Carp (which in an interesting fact, is NOT native to the European).

As for the banning of cats/dogs/cattle...think of this...maybe then we should ban all Caucasions, Japanese, Chinese, German, Swedish, Italian, Mongolian (the list goes on) and Russian people in Australia too...Because unless you are 100% Aboriginal, you are imported! Just goes to show how stupid that arguement is.

Leigh.

John_Coles
19-11-2008, 07:45 AM
BB
Heres the quote, fom Minister Macdonald

"On 12 November Hon Ian Macdonald, Minister for Primary Industries announced in a media release
Eight facilities that are no longer needed by the Department will be closed, he said. These facilities
are at Alstonville, Berry, Condobolin, Glen Innes, Gosford, Griffith, Jindabyne Hatchery and Temora. "

I'm fairly certain not too many trout are reared at some of these establishments.
And for the record, I fly fish for natives .

Also FlyFisho, your mindless comments regarding " hoity toity,tweed trout brigade." really!
Fly fishers for trout come from all walks of life.
Best regards
John

Hot_Snappa
19-11-2008, 08:51 AM
lol flyfisho...couldnt of said it better myself.

But all that aside I have spent a bit of time down south and know quite a few streams and creeks that were once alive with Cod and Golden Perch. The trout were introduced and for a while the Cod and Goldens seemed to manage...until the ravenous nature of the trout took over and ate everything they could grab, including the young fry/fingerlings of the native species.

The larger Cod and Goldens either moved on or died out and the trout took over the rivers...so dont tell me that Trout dont do as much damage as the European Carp (which in an interesting fact, is NOT native to the European).

As for the banning of cats/dogs/cattle...think of this...maybe then we should ban all Caucasions, Japanese, Chinese, German, Swedish, Italian, Mongolian (the list goes on) and Russian people in Australia too...Because unless you are 100% Aboriginal, you are imported! Just goes to show how stupid that arguement is.

Leigh.

I was under the impression (but I'm sure that someone will correct me if wrong), ;D that one of the reasons why natives have disappeared is because of the Carp populations stirring up the river beds, squeezing them of decent oxygenated water and generally destroying the rivers.
There are many places that I used to succesfully fish 30 years ago for Yellowbelly, Silver Perch, Cod and now most of them contain large populations of Carp with only a rare sighting of the others! Interesting also that some of these waters used to also sustain Trout populations, but they too have disappeared!

Dave

Boomi Boy
19-11-2008, 10:53 AM
BB
Heres the quote, fom Minister Macdonald

"On 12 November Hon Ian Macdonald, Minister for Primary Industries announced in a media release
Eight facilities that are no longer needed by the Department will be closed, he said. These facilities
are at Alstonville, Berry, Condobolin, Glen Innes, Gosford, Griffith, Jindabyne Hatchery and Temora. "

None of the facilities mentioned have anything to do with native fish. No native hatcheries have been announced for closure as you intimated.

Temora wheat breeding
Griffith citrus
Gosford mainly greenhouses and plant nurseries
Glen Innes beef cattle
Condobolin crop demo farm
Alstonville and Berry are agriculture facilities

Like I thought, misinformation about the natives from Mr Coles. The trout lobby has fought tooth and nail to prevent upland native species like Maquarie Perch and Bluenose cod being given back any of their historic home streams, trout free.
You may find it hard to gather support from the native fishos the trout lobby have previously fought so hard against.

NSW DPI did however recently upgrade the Cronulla fisheries to the tune of 1 millon dollars.

queenfish
19-11-2008, 12:41 PM
Leigh77 wrote the trout took over the rivers.

That is bit surprising, nothing pushes cod around except polution or river degradation.

I fish a river that has cod and golden perch, it used to be stocked with trout, you don't see one trout there at the moment, but the cod and g/perch are triving.

Leigh77
19-11-2008, 01:51 PM
1 river...that hardly settles the debate does it...though it does throw an interesting point up. Watch what happens when the bigger brood fish die out/move on.

But all this is fruitless really...because when the dust settles and the chooks roost, a trout is still an introduced species (please read "pest") and should not be stocked any more. The NSW Gov has finally made the right decision (not sure if it was for the right reasons though).

Leigh.

John_Coles
19-11-2008, 04:29 PM
BB
I stand corrected. I checked with the President of the CFA, he tells me that the other places are only Fisheries Research Stations. I had my information from another fishing site. My apologies. For anyone not living in this State there are many of the rivers here that are now have dams on them, this make perfect conditions for trout. Until someone finds a way of reversing the dam situation ( read large amounts of money) and make the water flow over the top and get the natives over the dam then trout are a very good alternative to no fish!
Best regards
John

yellahunter
19-11-2008, 08:50 PM
trout are the best freshwater fish in the world (besides salmon) from an angling perspective. You certainly wont catch cod and yellas on a perfectly presented dry etc. Nothing wrong with bass and yellas but trout are the pinacle,
cant see them being removed from the waterways.

look at tassie. do you think they would bother with yellas and bass. hmm i dont think so and they have the best wilderness fishery in aus.

John_Coles
21-11-2008, 11:53 AM
Good news just breaking SMH
Govt backs away from closing trout farm

November 21, 2008 - 11:13AM

The NSW government is backing away from its mini-budget decision to close a trout hatchery in the Snowy Mountains region.

The Garden Hatchery in Jindabyne was to be shut down as part of a series of closures of excess offices and research stations within the Department of Primary Industries.

But the decision was opposed by Labor's MP for Monaro, Steve Whan, who has led the fight to stop his government closing the facility.

Primary Industries Minister Ian Macdonald said on Friday the closure of the facility would now be delayed and options to address the facilities would be discussed.

"The Department of Primary Industries and stakeholder groups will now work towards building up concrete proposals for the on going viability of the hatchery," he said in a statement.

"It's important to remember the government's under enormous economic pressure, the financial crisis is starting to bite, so everyone has to work together jointly to find a viable solution."

Mr Whan said there was now a "clear path" to retaining the hatchery and its staff.

It was a vital resource for the local community and freshwater anglers across the state, he said.

Boomi Boy
21-11-2008, 08:58 PM
Good news just breaking SMH
Govt backs away from closing trout farm

November 21, 2008 - 11:13AM

The NSW government is backing away from its mini-budget decision to close a trout hatchery in the Snowy Mountains region.

My mail is they are bending you over before they shaft you, to shut you up, not a new strategy,

cheers

Big bosco 1
22-11-2008, 02:32 PM
hi all firstly i would like to thank john coles for posting the email adresses and contact details of the people to contact regarding gaden trout hatchery c losing i have contacted and congratulated all in gov cocerned for this move and suggest other native fiserpeople who perhaps feel as i do that trout are a useless introduced feral could do the same think about it if the trouties can lobby for trout why shouln,t the native fishos do the same ;D

Cheers Bosco

pontificator
25-11-2008, 11:55 PM
g'day Leigh and Big Bosco 1, you to and I, and the rest of our species are the biggest introduced pest.

From my point of view, we need to move on with whatever works best in the modified environment people, cotton and rice have created

rob tranter
26-11-2008, 09:19 AM

The common belief around now is that there was another mob here before the Aboriginal, and that the Aboriginal moved in and wiped them out, so if that is true, that would make your statement a bit mute.

As for Trout cleaning out Cod & yellow's that too is a bit on the naive side of things.
Trout need colder water to survive, they can't live in the warmer waters that the Cod and Yellows inhabit, except for the odd deep hole where the temperature would be lower, but then they are surface feeders and as such would need to rise to the warmer water to feed, again, not a healthy move for the Trout.
The size of our Murry Cod alone would be enought o keep Trout populations in there streams/rivers to zero.
You are correct in that they are introduced, but to compare them with Carp, is again Naive.
If you have ever fished for them, then you would understand the arguements of some on this topic.

While the Introduction of any Species to Australia was a Mistake, it has been done, and it would be easey to get rid of the trout, but it is not as harmfull to our natives as is the Red Fin, Cain Toad, Carp, Fox, Cat, Wild Pig, Pommies, Kiwi's:-X and as said the list goes on.

Not sure I agree with the statement that the Trout are more fun than the Bass though, that is very arguable.

Anyway I've had my say, right or wrong, it's my opinion, and like rseholes, everyone has one;D

Rob T8-)

NAGG
01-12-2008, 11:52 PM
Great to hear that the NSW Government has reversed their decision to close the Gaden trout & Salmon hatchery.:thumbsup:
As for those that feel that trout destroy the native fish populations ....... I'd like to see the data that proves / supports that argument.
While initial stockings were done many many years ago without any environmental impact research as part of English aristocratic pastimes (along with fox hunting:() ....... Today that stocking continues but on a educated / scientific basis ..... with a emphasis on what impact that stocking may present.......... Along with viability
Here in NSW we have rivers & dams that are regularly stocked with both natives & salmonoids ....... where both survive / coexist ....... which for my way of thinking dispels the myth that salmanoids drive out natives ( I'm pretty sure a species of cod would be the apex predator in most freshwater situations) .. .. ... Rivers that were never stocked with trout still saw the decline of the natives ........ but I think it had more to do with other factors practices ie: agricultural & environmental + Carp..........
Keep in mind that the conditions that are required by trout to spawn are quite dissimilar to natives anyway.

Now on the subject of should we stock trout .......... I most certainly feel that we should - be it selectively! The snowy mountains are a prime place to continue the practice ....... along with impoundments - Communities depend on the tourism that is brought into the areas during the non ski season ........... & besides aside from the anecdotal evidence that cod species exist in these areas ......... These rivers are generally devoid of sporting target species....... Also consider the angling pressure that would fall on natives :( I would much rather see trout targeted & taken for the table than the likes of a cod or even a bass - so in some ways trout are beneficial to natives

On a final note ...... Those that have not experienced fly fishing for trout in a pristine alpine environment are the ones missing out ....... & hell you dont even need a tweed jacket;) ...... In fact I'm yet to see one:P

Nagg