PDA

View Full Version : Mackerel in the Trench

skipalong
16-11-2008, 06:49 PM
hi guys

fished both saturday morning and sunday morning for a few hours left bribie and headed out to the trench, found ourselfs to be amoungst a good school of mackerel ended up with 7 from about 15 lost huge amounts of gear to the toothy little critters,

fished again sunday same spot for another 3 from 10 losing more gear and dropping 2 fish at the boat unfortunate, but it happens,

all in all 2 great days to be on the water, and even better to be back at the ramp by 9am both days.

PS jono ss - jeff got the first 4 spotties for the season off noosa on saturday, looking to be a beaut season cant wait.

cheers justin

Horse
16-11-2008, 07:06 PM
Some good signs there. What sort of technique did the damage?

Neil

skipalong
16-11-2008, 07:16 PM
a bit of trolling and then it just come to throwing slugs through the school as.

jtpython
16-11-2008, 07:16 PM
Mate nice plump buggars too
JT

-spiro-
16-11-2008, 07:18 PM
Justin how thick was the bait out there worth a trip for a stock up?

skipalong
16-11-2008, 07:28 PM
hey chris

good bait shows on the sounder, but i tried myself to get heaps wanted to troll livies, couldnt even raise a scale on that scene, been havin trouble finding bait down this way lately.

i have a mark its a fair way out that has been producing bait off mooloolaba and a mate got some there last weekend but i havnt been out of there for a month at least so havnt had the chance to fill the esky with bait yet.

Dean1
17-11-2008, 08:21 AM
Was wondering how you went. I launched beside you at same time at bribie I yelled out i know you from ausfish dont know if you got me. We got 3 cobes lost 5 off moreton.

Vindicator
17-11-2008, 08:48 AM
Nice spread Justin. We trolled off Mooloolaba yesterday around the blinker, out to Murphys and then to Old Woman Island without a touch. Oh expect the poor macktuna we jagged in the side as we went through a school of them. Could have stopped and thrown slugs at them to get a few more but I'm not up to casting yet.

Cheers
Kezza

jarhead
17-11-2008, 09:25 AM
Nice feed there Justin, good fun on light gear.

Wal

skipalong
18-11-2008, 05:45 AM
dean - nice going any size to the cobes

always fun on light gear but always take the risk of getting busted off,

Dean1
18-11-2008, 06:24 PM
dean - nice going any size to the cobes

always fun on light gear but always take the risk of getting busted off, They were all around 10kg, i had one around 15kg up beside the boat but bust me off when he saw the jaff, live and learn 'back that drag off!' they must have been thick before moving on.

I spent an hour cutting line of a prop and fell right into the drink doing so ;D ( we were hovering on the spot) so they were gone by the time got back on the spot. Cant wait to get back out.

We headed to the trench 1st didnt see you there. Well a spot a mate gave me called the trench. Cheers.

skipalong
18-11-2008, 06:30 PM
yeah dean there is alot to the trench we saw you heading hutchies way but we ventured up more towards mooloolaba, i went to a spot where we saw cobes a few weeks back with heaps of bait, and this time on arrival the bait was there along with the mackerel but no cobia.

dog tooth
18-11-2008, 06:33 PM
where the birds working or just the fish

nice fish
cheers

skipalong
19-11-2008, 08:21 PM
hey dog tooth just a mark where there was heaps of bait a few weeks back, got billies there, went back to give it another go but found mackerel there instead

cheers justin

reel scream
19-11-2008, 09:01 PM
Nice Justin. Surface fish or cranking from the bottom mate? Was around that ish away sat and had lads anchored up on the gear. Share the love to them i say and drift.

Cheers Scott

skipalong
20-11-2008, 07:56 PM
hey scott thats it, tried calling you after you spoke to frank but couldnt reach you, went after billies with no luck found these fellas in the same area, first few on the troll and then just ripped lures through the bait, didnt want to waste the fuel.

cheers justin

reel scream
20-11-2008, 10:12 PM
Was in a mates boat Justin. His radio is near his head and hard to hear if moving.

I'm starting to really enjoy the ripping up thru the stuff. Can happen at any time and easier than deep jigging hey.

I'm pretty well out of action till the new year. Boat>:( >:( >:( (have to get off my arse) Work- Extra shifts to cover leave pay>:( >:( .

Cheers Scott

skipalong
21-11-2008, 04:54 PM
very unfortunate looking to be a cracker over the christmas period heading to noosa for 2 weeks chasing macks again, itis certainly easier cranking little lurs the big jigs, only thing is it takes longer to get to the bottom, but in sayin that lost 6 lures while going down,

cheers justin

reel scream
21-11-2008, 07:42 PM
Hope you are right Justin- ie fish off Noosa. Will be slow trolling a new area this year with ++ results hopefully.

If not - well thats fishing hey- not called CATCHING. (or bugger/ #%^$&/(^&$#, 7t565&Y&&).

Will PM.

Cheers Scott