PDA

View Full Version : Crab pots Bribe Island

rollie
16-11-2008, 04:31 PM
Well up at 230am off to Bribe for a fish, not a bad day out on the water and after dropping the crab pots went for a fish, Few undersize and only one keeper. still not a bad day better than working, till i come back to check my crab pots and i shit you not yet another one stolen.
when did australia turn this way that one man can not leave his crab pots alone while his is fishing,
Thanks alot you bastard who stole it.
Rollie.

robersl
16-11-2008, 04:36 PM
Hey Rollie May Not Of Been Stolen A Big Tide Today And Plenty Of Run In The Water Weed Gets On Them And They Move Upstream Had It Happen To Me Heaps Of Times Off Bribie And In The Passage, ALSO THE WEED GETS ON THE ROPE AND PULLS THE FLOAT UNDER you need to get 2 floats abot 5 foot apart the first 1 goes under but the second one has no drag so stays afloat

Shane

lunatic
16-11-2008, 04:50 PM
Yeah mate, I have lost a few to the current up there before. Hell of a run through there just drags them under.

Cheers!
Lunatic

robersl
16-11-2008, 05:09 PM
I would be checking the next low tide when no run float should pop to the surface

shane

legsy11
16-11-2008, 06:57 PM
feel 4 ya.mate rang to tell me today that he had one of his pots cut clean.was crabing along the right hand side of passage heading out.thought his dillie was floating ,pulled her up and was cut at the dillie.i have never had that happen before.do we need gps 4 our pots now too???

therapy
16-11-2008, 08:26 PM
Gedday Rollie,
What robersl and lunatic said is quite possibly true. We went the cape saturday and dropped some pots in on the way. When we went to pick then up 1/2 of the floats were semi-submerged and 1 we couldn't find at all despite gps marks and a 45 minute search. Just bad luck sometimes and if someone was going to steal 1 pot why wouldn't they take them all? I'm off to buy another pot and some extra floatation myself.
Cheers........Terry...............

Col_s
17-11-2008, 10:10 AM
Rollie,

I think Shane is on the money ....big tides over the weekend so there would be heaps of pots around the place..it happens all the time up here on the big tides...

Cheers Col

netmaker
17-11-2008, 10:21 AM
gidday mate,

had same thing happen over the weekend. put out 2 pots only found 1. found the other the next morning on the low tide (rope was too short). 3 weeks back a mate had all 4 stolen. left in tingalpa creek on a saturday night. next morning only floats found in mangroves. he uses cable ties to ensure that they are not checked. reckon he's better off letting the thieves take the crabs. they might leave the pots if they can get the crabs out.

Freeeedom
17-11-2008, 03:33 PM
I was up there Friday Rollie and even though I have plenty of rope on my pots and I only dropped them in about 5 metres of water the big tidal run combined with the amount of weed in the water meant that they were tending to wander off all the time and I would have to lift them, clean off all the weed and position them where I wanted them again. The tide was rising so they weren't heading out into the bay but it was still a nuisance. The most any pot moved was about 200 metres in an hour, but I have had them travel a couple of kilometres out into the bay when the weed is bad. Your best chance of finding them is at slack tide when the weed won't be dragging the float down.
Cheers Freeeedom
PS I've often been anchored under the bridge at Bribie and watched the crab pots going past across the top of the tide
Cheers Freeeedom

rollie
18-11-2008, 08:57 AM
Thanks all, but when pulling the second one up about 1k from where they were placed and pot was open.
Anyway not to worry will just go buy some more.
Thanks Again
Rollie

Fishbait
18-11-2008, 03:54 PM
I lost one of my pots also on the weekend (16th Nov) but I think Shane is right - the big tides on the weekend and the weed here at Bribie can drag your pots around. Good idea Shane, I'll get myself some second floats now too. But if yours was stolen, I feel for you because they are expensive and is not the right thing for anyone else to touch someones else's pots. Good luck next time up this way anyway. Cheers mate.

struktcha_man
18-11-2008, 06:27 PM
yeah you will find them next week with a dead green turtle in em

therapy
23-11-2008, 09:10 PM
yeah you will find them next week with a dead green turtle in em

WTF!?!? What are trying to say there bloke!?!?!?!

TheRealAndy
24-11-2008, 09:54 PM
I am going to put a post up here about crabbing soon. 99% of people claim to have pots stolen, I reckon less than 1% of them are actually stolen. I went up a local creek today at low tide and spotted 5 pots sunk that were not lost, and probably 20 that people had lost. This was a small creek.

Angla
03-12-2008, 05:14 PM
I feel that I may have lost someone a pot on the weekend. Running along in the slop near the bribie yellow I think. I did not see any float pass under the bow but I felt the 135 Optimax strain for about 10 metres then release. Lifted the motor to check for rope but found none. Could not see any floats in the direction we came from but I suspect a subsurface float.

Chris

sicman345
10-02-2009, 10:30 AM
well i live at bribie felas and we do get some big tides and if ya put ya pots in the wrong places they will go out to sea but there are a few pricks that steal things around here

thanks brendan...