PDA

View Full Version : Billies what size line?

skipalong
15-11-2008, 05:41 PM
hey guys just curious to know what size to run for billies have been running 40lb is this to heavy? running 120lb leader is this to heavy?

have been getting good hookup rates but landing rates just arnt equivilent they just dont stay connected, any help would be much appreciated

cheers justin

jeffo
15-11-2008, 05:50 PM
for light tackle you will find 99% of guys in SEQ use 8kg or under.

120lb leader is plenty.

There is many more factors that will affect conversion from hookups to capture.
And they would take a long time to go through on here.

Come along to an SCGFC meeting and we would be more than happy to do some demos for you.

trueblue
15-11-2008, 06:14 PM
Jeffo

where does the club meet, and when?

cheers

Mick

jeffo
15-11-2008, 06:28 PM
G'day Mick,

Club meets on the first Tuesday night of each month at the Kawana Waters hotel on the Nicklin way.

sleepygreg
16-11-2008, 12:34 AM
Or you could try a club a bit closer to you....Moreton Bay Boat Club Game/Sportfishing Section......second tuesday of each month at the Moreton Bay Boat Club, Bird'o Passage drive Scarborough. Plenty of options and either club would be a good choice. You could even hedge bets and go to both. We have a friendly rivalry and support each others tournaments. We have our 8kg billfish Tournament coming up an the Australia Day weekend in January, that would be a great place to put your skills to practice and learn lots of things about catching billies. (and maybe even win a new car).

Greg

skipalong
16-11-2008, 06:58 PM
sleepygreg where do i find out more about this event very interested

another thing is the line colour a factor andisit all igfa rated?

cheers justin

iceknight
16-11-2008, 11:15 PM
how long is everyones leader? on this lighter line.

I think i heard awhile back about a small boat comp too? anyone have any info?

sleepygreg
17-11-2008, 01:46 AM
strangely enough....the brighter colours out of the water seem to be the colours that fade quickest under the water. I wouldnt get too concerned about line colour when trolling for billies. Use the easiest colours for YOU to see when trolling to avoid tangles/crossovers etc. Use a wind on leader of about 120lb, and if you are fishing in a tournament or want a record fish, make sure your leaders are within the regs. PLEASE NOTE....WIND ON LEADERS BOUGHT COMMERCIALLY ARE WELL OVER THE LEGAL LENGTH ALLOWED FOR IGFA/QGFA/GFAA SANCTIONED EVENTS. It is up to you to make sure your tackle complies with the regs. (its not a big deal...just trim them to the length required BEFORE you fish). Its a matter of chosing how you want to fish.....competition by association, or just go out and catch em. You will find the hard core competition fishos to be the ones who really know how to catch billies.....they are usually also the ones who fish the tournaments and follow the association regulations.

Greg

finding_time
17-11-2008, 01:59 AM
My 2c on line colour, well it depends on how your going to target your fish. If just trolling some of the hi vis lines will definately aid both you and the skipper, but if your planning to live bait your billys , certain lines like stren gold can be alittle annoying as your livie seems to like the colour and will swim towards it ! Now what happens when you get 2 or 3 livies swimming towards each others main line? A bloody big tangle that's what!

Ian

PS my leader, wind on and double is around 15 feet!

Pps. Greg

I know a few very keen, and very good billy fishers that dont fish for either club or comp that will be hunting you down;) ;D

jeffo
17-11-2008, 05:49 AM
Greg- who is AGFA?

ffejsmada
17-11-2008, 08:39 AM
Greg- who is AGFA?

They make x-ray films etc, medical imaging, also make scanners, cameras, all that stuff.;D

sleepygreg
17-11-2008, 03:36 PM
Apologies for the typo.