PDA

View Full Version : Replacing Bendix Gear on Starter Motor

Splash
15-11-2008, 12:19 PM
I have now received a new bendix pinon gear for for my starter motor.

I have tried removing existing one but unable to loosen the nut on top of the shaft.

Please advise how I am to remove/loosen this nut.

Splash

Angla
15-11-2008, 01:14 PM
You might check that is is not a left hand thread. Check the direction of rotation on the shaft .

Just had another look back at the video you put up on the starter problem and yes I think the thread will be Left hand

Good luck

Chris

Splash
15-11-2008, 02:59 PM
Thanks.

How do I remove the nut?

Which way should i rotate the nut (CCW or CW)?

Splash

Splash
16-11-2008, 12:47 AM
Are these nuts normally hard to remove/loosen?

CCW or CW?

Splash

Roughasguts
16-11-2008, 09:46 AM
Is the nut and shaft turning splash? or is it just tight?

If it's turning on the shaft get a rag and jam the teeth on the gear against something solid so it doesn't turn.

If it's tight maybe a couple of sharp light taps with a hammer on the nut, or maybe some heat from a soldering iron could do it. You don't always need a gas axe to loosen a nut.

As for which way it turns ???????

Splash
16-11-2008, 10:19 AM
Thanks Guts.

The nut is locked on the shaft so it turns whenever the shaft rotates.

The nut will not loosen when I try to undo it.

I will try the hammer bit..

SPlash

peterbo3
16-11-2008, 10:47 AM
Splash,
Have a look at the top of the nut & check if it has been "punched" where it meets the shaft. This is sometimes done to ensure the nut does not come loose.

FNQCairns
16-11-2008, 11:09 AM
Splash can you see the very top of the thread? often it is possible to see a little bit protruding that can give away the thread direction. I would but do not know for sure, go with a reverse thread so to loosen will be clockwise, for sure there is locktight on it or there would be if I did it up.

cheers fnq

FNQCairns
16-11-2008, 11:16 AM
But actually and although it can be done as a complete unit by someone determined, the armature should be removed and clamped within a soft covering or equivalent and all work done to the gear then.

cheers fnq

Splash
16-11-2008, 12:02 PM
Splash,
Have a look at the top of the nut & check if it has been "punched" where it meets the shaft. This is sometimes done to ensure the nut does not come loose.

checked - not punched.

Splash
16-11-2008, 12:05 PM
Splash can you see the very top of the thread? often it is possible to see a little bit protruding that can give away the thread direction. I would but do not know for sure, go with a reverse thread so to loosen will be clockwise, for sure there is locktight on it or there would be if I did it up.

cheers fnq

i wil lcheck for top of thread - unlikely.

is it possible to undo at all if 'locktited' ?

SWPlash

FNQCairns
16-11-2008, 12:13 PM
i wil lcheck for top of thread - unlikely.

is it possible to undo at all if 'locktited' ?

SWPlash

Yeah it is, makes the initial crack a little harder but we are no talking huge foot pounds here possibly 40?? when it was done up, still substantial though.

But you really need a way to stop the shaft spinning, cracking the unit open and removing it which is the armature is the best way to go IMO.
Not hard to do and you could even then place the armature on a deep pile of rages cover with more rags get someone to stand on it or hold it tight while you get all busy trying to crack the initial turn of the nut, you might need up to 60 foot lb for this bit...dunno, just don't stuff the shaft while trying to stop it spinning when still a complete unit.

cheers fnq

Splash
16-11-2008, 04:35 PM
i have tried everything - besides taking unit out.

i give up and will take it to a dealer to have it done - along with a linc and sinc.

BTW - anyone have the instructions to linc and sinc for my donk?

Splash

FNQCairns
16-11-2008, 05:43 PM
Good choice splash, why do you need the degrees timing? which is about all of the link and sync info needed that cannot be designed in by ear/experience. The dealer should be able to nail the degrees with his reference books?

cheers fnq

Splash
16-11-2008, 06:21 PM
Thanks mate.

It will be done by a Yamaha dealer but with guys who have worked on Johnos before. I doubt they would have the refence details with them.

I am choosing them because the closest Johnson dealer is around 30-40 kms away... (too far to haul a boat for a straight linc/sinc in my book).

I am wanting to have the timing checked because it has nto been to a dealer in 3 years...

Splash

Splash
15-12-2008, 11:39 PM
OK - just replaced the bendix gear and it has made 100% improvement in starting. Thank you.

Should I grease this new gear or not?

Splash