PDA

View Full Version : New Boat, Advice etc

TroyGC
14-11-2008, 01:57 PM
Hello Everyone!

I am new to these forum, actually I am new to fishing and everything, haha. I am purchasing a Brooker 500 BayRaider with Centre Console for 18000, still got 3.5year warranty etc. And comes with 60hp Yamaha 4 Stroke, Just wondering everyone's thoughts on it and whether it is a decent boat, whether it will go fast enough and get me out the seaway etc. All advice is welcome, Greatly Appreciated, thankyou

Regards

Troy

Noelm
14-11-2008, 02:10 PM
of course it will be fast enough to get out of the Seaway, speed is not a big factor in getting in and out, experience pays a bigger part, having said that, the Motor is noted for it's reliability, the Boat brand has been around for yonks, and a Centre Console is probably the best option for a fishing Boat, so it looks like you are set.

TroyGC
14-11-2008, 02:32 PM
thankyou very much for your quick response Noelm, appreciate it, any other advice you might want to add would be appreciated also, as I said I am new to this so want to get to know alot :)

Noelm
14-11-2008, 02:36 PM
if you are very new, then might be a good idea to find someone Local who has done a bit of Boating to show you a few tips, or restrict your outings to more sheltered areas untill you get to know the Boat and how it goes, how to launch and retrieve just some small things that can save you and the Boat a bit of trauma, Boating is fun and should be enjoyed, so the easier things are, the more chance you will get the most out of it.

wilcara
14-11-2008, 02:47 PM
Welcome - and the first and second rules would be: check the bungs; then; check the bungs again. You only miss it once.

Also, in my case, leaving the jockey wheel down on the trailer. You only do that once too.

TroyGC
14-11-2008, 03:02 PM
haha, I will even write that one down wilcara, Thankyou

frankgrimes
14-11-2008, 03:13 PM
Hey Troy - As already mentioned, that boat will certainly get you out the GC Seaway.

Seaway can be hairy at times, especially on a big run-out tide....before heading out, spend some time watching other boats going out+coming in, and also study how the swell is behaving.

Just remember - No fish is worth your life, or the life/safety of those on board....always better to err on the side of caution.

Mick

goat boy
14-11-2008, 04:42 PM
Hello Everyone!

I am new to these forum, actually I am new to fishing and everything, haha. I am purchasing a Brooker 500 BayRaider with Centre Console for 18000, still got 3.5year warranty etc. And comes with 60hp Yamaha 4 Stroke, Just wondering everyone's thoughts on it and whether it is a decent boat, whether it will go fast enough and get me out the seaway etc. All advice is welcome, Greatly Appreciated, thankyou

Regards

Troy

Congrats mate, I just recently bought a brooker myself (a week ago actually, should take delivery of it next weekend....fingers crossed). I researched for bloody ages, brands, motors, new vs 2nd hand etc and in the end the brookers proved to be a well respected boat that can be picked up for very reasonable prices new. This site has some good knowledge archived up, and people are always willing to offer some good advice if need be. Enjoy your new Brooker, I know I'll enjoy mine....

goldfish
14-11-2008, 05:17 PM
Hi troy. welcome to ausfish. you say your new to fishing & i asume boating. just a word of causion. be careful, when you first got your car did you take on bathurst? boats are the same take little steps & don't "think i can" know you can. if you have to think wether you can or not you probally can't. i've been boating for 20+ years & know about 5% of what there is to know (ok i'm a slow learner) & the seaway still scares me sometimes.
don't be put off by it but do take care & take time to learn, then you & your family will really enjoy boating & fishing.
enjoy your new toy..
cheers
rick.