PDA

View Full Version : Mondy Virgin

joshcarty
13-11-2008, 01:06 PM
Gday lads

Just some quick questions for all the barra nuts out there. On the 22nd of november im gonna have a crack at some of these barra im hearin so much about. Im just wonderin if i can get any helpful tips.
I have kitted myself out with a berkley dropshot 7'6 4-8kg rod. Is this heavy enough for what i am tryin to do?
I am running a shimano sienna 4000 with 30lb braid and a 60lb leader. Comments please
And finally my plan of attack when it comes to lures is to stick to the squidgy slick rigs and slow rolling them through the timber and to the banks. However i also bought some of these berkley hollow bellys the other day and was wondering if anyone had any advice on how to rig and retrieve these placcys. Very keen for any info. Just the rod i have doesn feel heavy enough but i have only ever saltwater fished too.
ANy helpful tips appreciated. cheers

Pete62
13-11-2008, 02:49 PM
Hey Josh, good luck with your quest mate. I have only done one trip so I will not give advise on the type of gear u need, those with experience will be along shortly to impart their works of wisdom.
I will however say this, book a guide on your first day, Adrian or Rob are both at the dam, book through reception at the park.
Do searches on this site "Monduran" "Barra" etc.
GPS on the boat is very handy.
Come on lads, help a virgin out.
Cheer's Pete.

Gordie
13-11-2008, 05:59 PM
Josh my favourite rod up there is a Barra Mauler about 6 foot and this is 5-8 kg weight.

I was up a little on the strength of both line and leader and had a horse tow my tinny around for a few minutes before he tired. If your rod is of that quality you shouldn't have any problem.

As for lures mine are now out of fashion now that 12 months have past.

But if I went back I would have to give them a go hey.

I spoke to a bloke at the ramp a few trips back who had 3 grand of lures in his boat. The one that caught his only Barra was one well known lure from Darwins well known lure maker designed probably 10/15 years ago.

Good luck.

Gordon.

rc@hinze
13-11-2008, 07:18 PM
Hi Josh, all the best with your trip on the 22nd. Expect to fall in love with impoundment fishing. There was a good thread a few pages back on rigging hollow bellies. Here it is-

http://www.ausfish.com.au/vforum/showthread.php?t=138534

cheers and good luck - Richard

eotbmg
13-11-2008, 08:36 PM
Hey Josh,
Mate there is a plethora of info on here if you go "fishing for it". Just use the search function.
The rod will be ok in some situations where there is no danger of the fish running into timber, but when you are trying to stop 1meter plus of silver muscle finding her home in the sticks you may need to upgrade to say a 20 lbs stick. No to much difference i know but trust me every bit will help when you need to call on it during the fight.
Same with the line, i fish 78lbs in the jungle, its some jap crap that we get from WA, cant remember the name, but with 30 you wont want to let it touch any obstacle when a fish is on!!!!!! I use 80 leader generally but will flirt with 60 witht he placcys when the fish are shy. The Sienna will also be Ok but you need a smooth drag[which i have no doubty it has] but also have some grunt to put the hurt on the fish.

Personally mate the best way is to get up there and learn for yourself, catch a few, get smashed up by a few, learn how your gear performed, and change things accordingly, also listen to the guys on here, you will learn heaps, like we all do. Good luck tell us how you go!!!
Cheers
Ben

Magella
14-11-2008, 03:35 PM
Josh,
Your rigg will be fine I use 7' 3-7 kilo rodwith 30lb castaway braid 50lb sunline leader biggest fish to date on it 115 lot of smaller 90 fish.
Rigging hollow bellies see Matts thread
Cheers Foxie