PDA

View Full Version : Want To Check Your Grab Bag

QF3 MROCP
12-11-2008, 11:02 PM
I've been researching lately as to what to have in a grab bags:

GRAB BAG CONTENTS (short version)
Contents will depend on where you go. In a busy area such as the Moreton Bay you can be more selective. Further off shore the list gets longer. Check what is already in your liferaft and or grab bag:

Survival

Rescue

Food / Drink

Documents
Spare sea anchor and line
Flares:
2 red parachute
2 red hand held
2 red smoke
Water in plastic bottles.
Measuring cup
Wallets
Hand bags
Survival Bags
Hand held GPS
Torches -2 floating
Passports
Blankets/clothing
EPIRB
(406 MHz)
Knife
Pack of Playing Cards

Seasickness tablets
Cyalume light sticks (2)
Glucose

V Sheet

Hand held VHF
Food - self-heat soup?

Mirror

Fruit Bars

Whistle
Safety tin openers

Feel free to add to the list...

QF3

greenbeest
13-11-2008, 12:04 AM
How about on one of these.

Ultimate Survival Aqua Kit

http://www.osg.com.au/images/US-Aqua-Kit_000.gifSPECIFICATIONS
• Weight: 371.5 grams
• Dimensions: 19.0 x 11.5 x 3.8 cm
• Case: Flexible Aqua Bag
• Colour: Translucent
FEATURES
• Six essential outdoor survival tools
• Lightweight and compact
• Tools housed in a water proof case
• Aqua Bag is watertight to 4.5 metres

The Ultimate Survival Aqua Kit - the time-tested components of the Deluxe Tool Kit are now available in an aqua bag. The bag is submersible to 4.5 metres and can be used to carry water.

The Ultimate Survival Aqua Tool Kit is a collection of some of the world's finest outdoor tools. Whatever you do outside, these premier recreational, safety and survival tools can simplify your life every day, and can help save your life on the worst days.
Included in the Aqua Kit are:

• Blast Match Fire Starter:
This revolutionary one-handed, all-weather, fire starter generates intensely hot sparks three times hotter than a standard match. Blast Match is safe, easy-to-use, and works in any weather.
• Wet Fire Tinder:
This amazing fire starting tinder is non-toxic, odourless, smokeless, and can start a fire even in the driving rain. In fact, Wet Fire tinder burns longer when wet. A small pile of tinder shavings is all you need to start a roaring fire.
• Star Flash Signal Mirror:
This signal mirror is unbreakable, can be aimed precisely, floats and can signal for communications over 100 kilometres away. Star Flash is the standard issue signal mirror of the U.S. Air Force and other government agencies.
• Jet Scream Whistle:
This whistle is one of the loudest in the world. Jet Scream's ear-piercing shriek can be heard above most natural or man-made noise. Use Jet Scream while camping for communication, personal protection or emergency signalling.
• Saber Cut Saw:
This flexible hand chainsaw is compact, razor sharp, bi-directional, and self-cleaning. It can be used for cutting from a variety of angles and places where you have little clearance. It is specially treated to retard rust and corrosion.
• Aqua Bag:
The aqua bag is watertight to 4.5 metres and can be used to carry water. It is light, watertight and ideal to store your gear in your backpack, your car, your boat, or even your pocket!.

They can be found here >> http://www.osg.com.au/survival.htm#AquaKit

cormorant
13-11-2008, 12:14 AM
Might want to check if these grab bags from the chain stores float with half this stuff in them.

TheRealAndy
13-11-2008, 06:38 AM
Looks like a grab suitcase to me...

Rod Fishing
13-11-2008, 06:56 AM
I have flares, epirb, car keys wallet and phone, 2 torches, 1 strobe light that is also ir compliant, signal mirror, hunting knife and 1 litre of water.

Cheers Rod....8-)

Jeremy
13-11-2008, 07:18 AM
I've been researching lately as to what to have in a grab bags:
QF3
You might want to do some research as to whether even half that stuff would fit in a grab bag.
blankets/clothing?
handbags?
Playing cards?

A you a sea scout making this up for a badge or something?
ROFL

Jeremy

lippa
13-11-2008, 07:57 AM
i think its more a genralization, to suit indiduals rather than a rule of thumb fellas, c'mon.

the idea of the thread is to get people to think about the safety grab bags.

Crunchy
13-11-2008, 10:33 AM
Are the knives for stabbing sharks?

The-easyrider
13-11-2008, 10:49 AM
As well as flares and water eI've got a couple of fluro light whieght hats with neck flaps and a small tube of sun block as after some time floating it the drink you would get cooked

Dirtysanchez
13-11-2008, 12:45 PM
Hand bags ? why hand bags ?

What about a mirror or reflective thingy like a mirror so you can flash the sunlight back up at a plane if it hasn't seen you ?

Mind you, with my luck I would blind the pilot and he would crash into the sea :(

Crunchy
13-11-2008, 01:01 PM

I.C, was only thinking about floating around in the ocean then I realised "knife", "matches", "saw" etc...of course you might hit land, a deserted island perhaps...then I suggest also packing a volleyball, preferably a Wilson.

cormorant
13-11-2008, 01:02 PM
I have seen a demo of a new product ( don't know exact name) but is is a laser flare. Basically strong powerful laser pointer that is very easy to see as it lights up sea mist and travels very high so planes have a good chance of seeing it. They should still be legal as they are safety equipment and on a small battery last a long time. Much longer than a 20 second rocket flare. Don't now the pricing and am always wary of electric things with batteries in water but I don't like bulky explosives much either.

Has anyone else seen or tested one??

Mr__Bean
13-11-2008, 01:09 PM

No, the knife is to deter that cannibal look in your deckies eyes.

- Darren

Dirtysanchez
13-11-2008, 01:22 PM
Valuable info, note to self, pack volleyball in tinny ;D

BrandonH
13-11-2008, 01:24 PM
These laser flares sound like the way to go... Might have to look into getting one of them me thinks...

https://www.greatlandlaser.com/index.php

But we would have to look into the rules and regs here in Aus as far as using them b4 getting one.

cheers
Brandon...

PADDLES
13-11-2008, 07:30 PM
we only have the basics in ours:
- flares
- epirb
- dive knofe
- dive torch

i reckon everyone should have a grab bag in their boat. it should be law. the stashing of safety gear to keep the boat tidy is totally unsafe.

TheRealAndy
13-11-2008, 08:13 PM
Well I guess once you have been on a sinking boat then perhaps you can comment. 90% of that shit is useless once you are in the water. Its also a pretty broad example of what you dont need in many situations. What you need depends on where you will be and where you are going. As I have said many times, its common sense. If you dont know what you need in an emergency situation in a given place on the water then you should not be there.

MarkDiver
14-11-2008, 11:23 AM

8-) Don't be silly, they won't do nothing to the sharks...it's for cutting your deckies Achilles' tendon when they come circling around you in the water ;D

wilcara
14-11-2008, 11:58 AM
Are there any deserted islands left?

If so, maybe a small but powerful handgun would be a good idea, and a rotisserie for the pig roast.

Hey don't forget the toilet paper!