PDA

View Full Version : Hard to steer at speed

dsma@rky
12-11-2008, 08:40 PM
I have a 4.55m Stessco aluminium centre console with a 40hp Mariner. Over the past couple of times that i have used it i have noticed that it is becoming harder and harder to steer when travelling at speed.

The steering is ok at very slow speed or stopped so it is not within the linkage.

I have trimmed engine in both directions but does not seem to make any difference.

Any ideas?

oldboot
12-11-2008, 09:20 PM
Has the pivot been greased recently...if there is a load on it with inadequate lube......

Thats all I can think.

cheers

foxx510
13-11-2008, 07:24 AM
Yes sounds like something is binding, if it has been gradually getting worse. Check all your lube points in the steering system and on the engine mount pivot.

Noelm
13-11-2008, 07:35 AM
perhaps you ned to define "hard to steer" do you mean heavy, light and unresponsive, dangerous? be a tad more specific.

finga
13-11-2008, 07:43 AM
Being a smaller outboard it wouldn't have one of those screws/bolts on the pivot tube where you can adjust the amount of 'stiffness' in the steering would it??

batten
13-11-2008, 06:11 PM
if its got a hydrofoyle, ive heard that if the hydro is rated too high for the outboard, it some times has a little trouble comming out of turns at high speed, but u would notice the problem from day 1.

Badpoochy
13-11-2008, 09:54 PM
Hi, I'm no expert but is there a left/right trim tab on the cavitation plate that has moved (assuming it is adjustable which most are) and forcing the motor to steer in a particular direction? I am thinking of checking mine for a similar problem on a 50hp tiller steer. Cheers.

dsma@rky
17-11-2008, 05:19 AM
Thanks Guys, i'm out of town at the moment and will have a look to ensure that the steering linkage is appropriately greased. I was assuming that if it was ok at low speed then the linkage would not be the problem. Didn't consider the load factor.

Thanks again.