PDA

View Full Version : Lewmar Pro-Series 700 or 1000 Windlass

Fatenhappy
11-11-2008, 06:38 PM
During "Fatenhappy's" repower and makeover we've been sniffing around to see if and what else is out there regards windlasses.

Traditionally we run a Muir in a horizontal fit because of their application to reduced or difficult areas and of course their reliability .... IMO, they've seldom missed a beat.

Yes, I've also had a look at vertical applications but am limited by the available room in the locker on the cat.

Drums although fairly straight forward in operation, are generally large and fairly expensive by comparison. (Not knocking the manufacturers, but from an engineering point of view, I really can't follow that as they look to be fairly straight forward in their construction)

Like everyone I also look for the "best value for money" as well. I definitely don't want to compromise on the quality of the Muir, but am realy interested to know if anyone has tried the new Lewmar Pro-Series in either the 700 or 1000 or the 700 free fall.

If so, what's your thoughts or is there another quality item out there at a sensible price that anyone knows of.

Cheers
Greg

Spaniard_King
11-11-2008, 06:54 PM
F&H

I have fitted a couple of the 700 series to 6M+ trailer boats (comercial AB Divers). They seem a prety good unit for the $$ havent herd any complaints about them.

If you do end up fitting one I would recommend to reverse the polarity of the wires on the control switch if you follow the lewmar wiring Diagram :P (if you don't it will run backwards to what the switch says)

Fatenhappy
11-11-2008, 07:36 PM
Thanks for the tip Garry ... ;)

Grand_Marlin
11-11-2008, 07:40 PM
Yeah thanks Garry, you could have told me that last week :P

I didn't get caught - tried it first before terminating ... but you are right, the wiring diagram is wrong.

The 700 is a smaller, lighter, less powerful winch.
I honestly believe it will be more than adequate.

The Stress Free drum winches are a very good winch - fitted quite a few of these now.

Also, Muir, Maxwell and Lewmar are all good quality.

The Muir is Australian - made in Hobart.

The problem you will have Greg is depth below the winch in the anchor well.

I will be fitting a Stress Free drum winch to my 23 Sharkcat.

Cheers

Pete

Fatenhappy
11-11-2008, 08:25 PM
Hey Pete ....

Happy with the depth ...

Current research is looking at possibly doing if you like a sawn off version of a pyramid style thing over the anchor well (made of 6 or 8 mm alli) but only if it can be done and not look like crap.

The anchor well depth as it sits at the rear is about the 500mm mark (minimum requirement for a horizontal is 300mm) and so hence the requirement for a horizontal windlass or even a drum.

You are spot on with the StressFree winches. They are pretty much a brother to the Woolf style of winches which also comes from South Oz. The stumbling block for both of them is the $2800 odd as quoted and then with the Stress Free with the NG series upgrade is another $500 odd on top of that.

I have to look at being able to do everything from the helm myself as you know, as my beloved "decki" (and she would be the first to admit it) is not that flash at helping out with boating related matters, but she's worth the extra expense ... least ways that's the excuse I get to use for spending the extra !!!! ;D ;D ;D

gofishin
12-11-2008, 05:55 PM
Hi Greg,
I have had the 700 Pro-Series for 5 wks now and have used it on a few trips but only to 6m depth. Seems pretty good too. Was thinking of getting the Pro-Fish (freefall) model but after finally finding someone that had one to talk to i steered away from it.

Apparently the auto-engaging clutch/dog sometimes takes a while longer to hook up than you want/need it to, or if you just want to let a bit out it freefalls sometimes when you don't want it to, then needs to auto hookup etc. He found it a bit of a nuisance when anchoring in tight spots, when you need good control etc. But, only found this one owner to talk to.

The Pro model is a cinch to get in freefall if you want to, you just have to do it at the windlass instead of the helm! You can freefall it by lifting the arm & popping the rope out of the gypsy.
cheers

Fatenhappy
13-11-2008, 06:35 PM
Thanks for the feedback Gofish'n ..

Particularly interested in the free fall comments !!! :-/

As everything has to be done by me, in tight situations I don't have time to get to the windlass to release the tension/clutch or do the free fall thing. I'd be far better off staying at the helm in full control of the situation.

I'm still tending towards the Stressfree or Woolf drum winches at this point. They look a bit industrial, but they are certainly the goods and almost bullet proof.

Cheers