PDA

View Full Version : barra running hot

bevan smith
11-11-2008, 01:21 AM
the barra are running hot around mackay at the moment, my profile pic is my first barra over the tonne. 116cm went out again tonight and got a 112cm and some friends that have been fishing for the past 5 days got 12 over the tonne. so go and get some while the bite it hot.

chewy01
11-11-2008, 05:37 AM
Nice going bevan,
are you at knichant or thereabouts or are you in the salt.
once again nice going
chewy....

rayken1938
11-11-2008, 07:21 AM
Nice going bevan,
once again nice going
chewy....
Post is in freshwater section and its closed season in salt.
Cheers
Ray

warrior
11-11-2008, 06:55 PM
a mate went out to kinchant and got 2 over the 1100mm mark last week as well sounds like its great going up there at the moment well done on your success great pic too

Colo77
11-11-2008, 07:44 PM
Nice going bevan,
once again nice going
chewy....

Looks like a big fat dam barra to me!

The father in law works with a bloke who fishes Kinchant Dam regularly. Apparently last trip (3 or 4 weeks ago) he boated 16 fish for the night, dropped 10 & only 6 of the fish boated were under 1M with the biggest 1 going 1.4.:o

I know there are good fish there but that is awesome fishing by any standard, all on the troll. Real quiet start to the night & all the action began approx 1am.

I have been to Teemburra a couple of times recently but 1st time (morning sesh 2 weeks ago). I had the rain coat on b4 the boat even hit the water (got a 50cm rat for my trouble on a x-rap) & the 2nd time (arvo sesh yesterday) it was blowing about 25 knots, dropped a 75-80cm model but got a good look at it as it jumped about 1m clear of the water & spat the slick rig.

Can't wait to get back up there 1 hot, still night.

Yep. Mackay has a heap of great impoundments on it's door step. Kinchant (45km), Teemburra (70km), Eungulla (100kmish) & Faust aint that much further (150km).8-)

Colo

phatty
12-11-2008, 02:13 PM
only 6 of the fish boated were under 1M with the biggest 1 going 1.4.:o

have you got a pic of that on a brag mat?
pretty big deal claiming a fish of that size from an impoundment in this section.

Pobblebonk
12-11-2008, 02:45 PM
Whoa mamma that's a big fish. Well done.

Colo77
13-11-2008, 09:28 PM
have you got a pic of that on a brag mat?
pretty big deal claiming a fish of that size from an impoundment in this section.

Sorry I don't. Just relaying what was reported to me. He did show the inlaw a pic at work (probably not on a brag mat) but I havn't seen it. "Apparently" he had seen some 1.5m models among the rushes in the shallows & lost some a similar size on the troll.

The father in law is gonna hook me up with this guy:D . He says he has nothing to hide & is willing to show practically anyone 'the ropes'. "Beats sittin in the boat on your lonesome with noone to share it with" he says.

I'll let you know wether it's fact or fiction when I get some solid evidence. There has to be some monsters out there in Qld impoundments & why not in northern Qld where climate would have to be better suited for producing some monsters than the southern dams (sorry southern folk, not trying to steal any thunder, seen plenty southern 1.2m models in mags etc which is awesome, I still havn't cracked the metre mark) just attempting to think logically.

Other than this, the longest barra i have heard of/seen is a 1.3m salty in the causeway at Yeppoon, years ago now. What's another 100mm for an overfed, underexcersised big fat dam barra?! Apparently barra have the potential to grow to 2m 8-) ????? It's an awesome thought anyway.

Cheers,

Colo

cammo79
03-12-2008, 03:54 PM
im keen for a fish at the dams having only fished awoonga and monduran in the past, ive just moved to mackay, im going for a look around kinchant or teemburra tomorrow if anyones keen for a fish.

cam

Tropicaltrout
03-12-2008, 07:03 PM
Mondy has be on the fire around the dam end, and I did hear a strong rumour of a $140 aswell from the basin

cdg81
03-12-2008, 07:10 PM
hey all, been a while since i looked at ausfish, its true the barra are going nuts round town, the creeks are alive with them, which isnt unusual being the barra closure, mj's and fingermark are hitting any thing that moves,

Colo77
03-12-2008, 09:19 PM
im keen for a fish at the dams having only fished awoonga and monduran in the past, ive just moved to mackay, im going for a look around kinchant or teemburra tomorrow if anyones keen for a fish.

cam
I've got 4 days off next weekend. probably gonna hit Kinchant Friday night , then off to Teemburra Sat & Sun.

Colo

NAGG
03-12-2008, 09:38 PM
since the word is out on Kinchant .....:-X We had a look a couple of weeks ago for a morning session during the ABT

A very nice impoundment ....... very clear water where you can drift over the top of big barra in 6 ft of water ........... we spooked several very large fish in the shallow weeds

Managed a few small fellas & a couple of sooties

A nice spot worth fishing!!!!!

Nagg

cammo79
04-12-2008, 07:01 AM
I've got 4 days off next weekend. probably gonna hit Kinchant Friday night , then off to Teemburra Sat & Sun.

Colo

did you mean this weekend coming or the one after?

I am going to head to kinchant tomorrow morning, can anyone suggest what size of lure to use, i have never caught a sooty, do they take barra lures?

As i have said before, i have a spare seat in the boat and am pretty good company, so if your keen tomorrow morning let me know...

Cam

Barry Ehsman
04-12-2008, 06:50 PM
Hi Cam as of 2 weeks ago i had not caught a Sootie either but in a bit over a week we caught approx 380 up to 44cm at kinchant great fun hard hitting fish......

caught then all, trolling anything from the tiny Min Min lures to the cheap imitation Jackalls which were the best, & also on the Classic Barra Lures......

Trolling the weed bed's along the wall & the weeds in front & to the left of the camping area.....

Gee i wish i lived up that way

cammo79
04-12-2008, 07:45 PM
thanks barry, im going tomorrow morning, your info will save me some time. i hope the weather is as good as today