PDA

View Full Version : Converting to Center Console

nickstock
10-11-2008, 04:33 PM
Hi all,

I live near Cairns and have a 04 model 5.1 meter Javlin . These were a local made glass boat mainly used by pros for live trout fishing ect.

Who would you recomend near Cairns - Tully area to convert it into a center console. It all ready has the actual console and a 120 liter live well built in to the floor but I need someone to extend the console a bit higher and to hook up steering to a 2006 model 70 hp yam 2 stroke and fit the steering wheel and controls ect.

It is a awesome boat that suits my needs well, but on long trips back in from out around the 22 mile mark it gets a bit annoying hanging on to a tiller especialy in anything over 15 knots. By the time I get back to the ramp my arms are normaly hanging like a chimp;D

What sort of dollars would I be looking at.

Also can you add Power trim and Tilt to this motor? I am considering buying a 70 suzi 4 stroke for it but if I could add PTT for a half decent price I will keep the 2 stroke as it only has 50 odd hours on it.

Cheers,

Nick

trev1
10-11-2008, 09:38 PM
I would try NQ Outboard Wreckers in Townsville for parts to convert your 70 to PTT, They could also probably help with steering ect, for your project. I dont know of any f'glassers around Cairns, but I would bet near any chandlers, pro fisho's, or boat shop should know.
If you are pretty handy with tools, you could make one out of 10mm ply and epoxy/glass it yourself . Ply soaked with epoxy lasts a long time when done properly. ( for more info on this, look up "stitch and glue boatbuilding "on the net. There is a lot of info on this but for your uses, the technique is what you're nafter)

STUIE63
11-11-2008, 08:38 AM
There is an ad in the current fish and boat for a company that makes universal ptt units
Stuie

nickstock
13-11-2008, 08:51 AM
Thanks fellas

GAD
13-11-2008, 09:17 PM
Hey Nick I know there is luxury yaht refinishers, Lifestyle marine , rodgers fibreglass , hooker boats , they all build and repair glass .

Greg