PDA

View Full Version : Camping at Moon Point - Fraser Island

Stonkered
10-11-2008, 01:10 PM
Hey Ausfishers,

I'm thinking of heading over to Fraser and camping at Moon Point over christmas/new years with a few friends. We used to go over every christmas when we were kids. I can remember catching what seemed like millions of whiting while dad fished for golden trevally. We only stopped going when they no longer allowed dogs on the island.

Anyway, I was wondering if anyone had been over there recently (it's almost 20yrs since I've been to Moon Pt). Can you still camp there? Does it get crowded there over the hollidays? I dont remember it being too crowded back then.

Any info would be great.

Cheers,
Ben

GBC
10-11-2008, 04:36 PM
G'day Stonkers.

U going by Boat or Car?

The creek mouth has moved a looong way since 20 yrs ago. It used to flow south out towards Big Woody, but broke through right up where the covered picnic tables were back in the early nineties. Mouth is now a couple of kays North of the old one and is impassable to vehicles so all the old campsites are only accessable by boat.
Plenty of camping North of the mouth though.
Have a look on google earth and try to recognise the place.
c.j.

Stonkered
10-11-2008, 05:16 PM
G'day Stonkers.

U going by Boat or Car?

The creek mouth has moved a looong way since 20 yrs ago. It used to flow south out towards Big Woody, but broke through right up where the covered picnic tables were back in the early nineties. Mouth is now a couple of kays North of the old one and is impassable to vehicles so all the old campsites are only accessable by boat.
Plenty of camping North of the mouth though.
Have a look on google earth and try to recognise the place.
c.j.

Mate, we were thinking of getting the barge from Urangan. I guess it drops you north of the creek now???

I did have a look on Google Earth but it's been so long nothing looked familiar (i was 12 years old last time i was there).

I remember having to wait for the tide to go out before crossing the creek, so it's impassable now? Do you know if there are any yabbie banks accessible by vehicle? Might not be a big issue as we are thinking of taking a tinnie over.

Thanks for the reply.

GBC
11-11-2008, 05:50 PM
yep barge drops off well to the north now.

You might be able to cross the creek mouth by vehicle but there is a lot of fallen timber around.

Yabbies - moon and coongul. Don't get me wrong, you can vehicle camp close enough to the creek, it just isn't where it used to be.
c.j.