PDA

View Full Version : Barra Lure's & be kind

rob tranter
10-11-2008, 10:19 AM
Hi all

Taking the grown up children (son's 25 to 29yrs), on a short Bass to Barra fish. From 3rd Jan to 10th January.
These three have never done this before and for that, I have limited experience myself:( .

So the question is

Could you tell me of some "cheap" Lures that may work on Barra
I'm not a millionair, and I will be supplying everything for the boy's, so I must be able to

1.afford to purchase them

and
2.afford to loose them;D

So Please be kind, I know the dear ones are probably the best but.

Oh and we will be starting at Toonumbar near Kyogle and finishing at Awoonga, we have seven days, so whats the best in between?

Cheers
Rob T8-)

black_sheep
10-11-2008, 01:25 PM
Rob,

Do a search on this site for Bass Lures and Barra Lures - I'm sure that will help heaps.

As for 'cheapish' lures. Pretty hard nowadays with barra lures as everything cost around $12-15 and most of them don't have sufficient hardware to tackle the big girls so by the time you upgrade the split rings and hooks, they costing you closer to $15-20!!!!

There are a couple of options though. Use soft plastics as much as possible. They work as well as any other lures and are a darn site cheaper. Secondly, Big W stock a range of lures, some well known brands but also reasonable copies for around $5-10.

Lastly, all the Bushy's barra lures come standard with decent hardware and don't need upgrading and are under the $15 mark.

Hope that helps a bit.

As for a couple of spots between Toonumbar and Awoonga - I'd put Monduran somewhere in there for sure. It's stocked with Bass and Barra which you are targeting so you'll have the gear to chase both species. Also, plenty of catty's to pass the time between casts.

Good Luck.

2manylures
10-11-2008, 02:09 PM
Although I don't fish for Barra I have sent many CD-11 Rapalas to a Darwin based mate who fishes for wild fish. He only uses Firetiger {swears by them} Gold & Silver.

Another mate in Kakadu only uses Rapala Husky Jerks in 10cm & they must have an orange belly.

These should be able to be purchased on ebay or the US cheaper than retail here.

eotbmg
10-11-2008, 06:39 PM
Mate have a look at the internet auction places. Dunno if i can mention them. You know who i mean. There are tonnes of el cheapo barra lures on there, but try as you can to upgrade the hardware, even if you swap them over from lure to lure!!!
Tell us how you go
Ben

chewy01
10-11-2008, 08:21 PM
hi mate,
hey pm me with your details of when ur coming thru. i have just cleaned out my taclke box and have shelved some lures due to lack of use. im guessing some of your fishing will be trolling.iv not fished awoonga but i have some that work in monduran. If you want your welcome to use them and just return the ones you dont lose. you will have to get some owners or vmc trebles from foxie but you really wood want to do that anyway whatever lures you got.there is nothing like watching your boys get their first barra whatever their age doenst really matter id imagine. im in maryborough so i can just meet you on the highway if im not fishing.
ps. do a search on here on lure retrievers or just make or buy one as they r a really good investment especially when trolling.
chewy,......

eotbmg
10-11-2008, 08:26 PM
hi mate,
hey pm me with your details of when ur coming thru. i have just cleaned out my taclke box and have shelved some lures due to lack of use. im guessing some of your fishing will be trolling.iv not fished awoonga but i have some that work in monduran. If you want your welcome to use them and just return the ones you dont lose. you will have to get some owners or vmc trebles from foxie but you really wood want to do that anyway whatever lures you got.there is nothing like watching your boys get their first barra whatever their age doenst really matter id imagine. im in maryborough so i can just meet you on the highway if im not fishing.
ps. do a search on here on lure retrievers or just make or buy one as they r a really good investment especially when trolling.
chewy,......

Thanks Chewy. I am in the market for some new lollies:P:P:P:P:P:P
Ben

chewy01
10-11-2008, 08:46 PM
Awww mate,
so what iv been hearing about your new fishing style isnt true:(
some people have been suggesting you have nnow taken up trawling..... not trolling mind you.. trawling
eg
Trawling is a method of fishing that involves pulling a large net through the water behind one or more boats. The net that is used for trawling is called a trawl.(barb wire may be substituted)
The boats that are used for trawling are called trawlers. Trawlers vary in size; from small open boats with only 30 hp to large rangers with over 10,000 hp. Trawling can be carried out by one trawler or by two trawlers fishing cooperatively (maybe you can get vin and nav to help)bahahahaha :) :) :)
ill leave a couple lollies hanging in the fence :)

Steve B
10-11-2008, 09:00 PM
Awww mate,
some people have been suggesting you have nnow taken up trawling..... not trolling mind you.. trawling
eg
Trawling is a method of fishing that involves pulling a large net through the water behind one or more boats. The net that is used for trawling is called a trawl.(barb wire may be substituted)
The boats that are used for trawling are called trawlers. Trawlers vary in size; from small open boats with only 30 hp to large rangers with over 10,000 hp. Trawling can be carried out by one trawler or by two trawlers fishing cooperatively (maybe you can get vin and nav to help)bahahahaha :) :) :)

Ooow chew thats a good one,....I am sure ben wont take any ofFENCE at your post!!!...........hes taken enough fences for one year!!!!;):o;D

Rob,

Agree with Navi, Bushies have a new range of lures, Twitch baits (2-5ft) for casting shallows...I have got some good fish this season on them. They also have some crash divers 10ft + and a deeper one which have a great action and will catch fish I reckon, especially if you do a bit of trolling. The bonus is they already have to OWNER upgrades which saves you about $5 a lure...and thats a quality lure. some other cheap options are Trollcraft (make a great lipless crankbait that barra love), River2sea make a few soft/hard swim baits (Ie my favorite old Flaps!!) about $5 or so.

Other than that, soft plastics are a good option...probably slickrigs or storm shads (pre rigged) would be the cheapest option with the quality required to catch and land fish.

I have bought the Kokoda range...dont like them. dont swim...I have bought the cheapies of Ebay...again dont swim and are dead set too flimsy for barra anyway.

Essentially, I would rather spend $15 on one QUALITY lure that $7-50 on 2 crap lures.

I hope this is of some help to you and you lads. Cheers Steve

chewy01
10-11-2008, 09:03 PM
not sure if you got my sms steve but good luck.,hope you get into em.

black_sheep
11-11-2008, 11:20 AM
[quote=Steve B;926534]Ooow chew thats a good one,....I am sure ben wont take any ofFENCE at your post!!!...........hes taken enough fences for one year!!!!;):o;D

That's GOLD Steve.

Chewie - you started it mate. Barbs not going to be happy;D . He may send Ken after you!!

chewy01
11-11-2008, 12:40 PM
all good mate ill just hide behind the fence :)
sounds like we may end up staying at first choice too so ill have to check my bed for snakes n spiders b4 i get in :)

eotbmg
11-11-2008, 01:48 PM
Yeah watch out Chewbacca
Navi and his han-d solo might get ya!

rob tranter
11-11-2008, 07:02 PM
Righto you lot, I thought this thread was about me getting heaps of tips about cheap Lures, not you people giving it to each other about sh!t know's what:D

It would help if you would elaberate, then we would all understand::)

Chewy

Mate not sure of dates I'll be through, other than as said, we leave God's country (translated as NSW "GO THE BLUES";D ) on the 3rd Jan and will end up at Awoonga around the 9th and 10th January, but I appreciate the offer of the lures, very gutzy, replacing only those that are lost,( that could be quite a few) could still end up a very expensive exercise;) , I guess trawling the dams is out?:o
Cheers for the info guy's keep it coming, I get on here around four to five times a day,(yeh I know) so I will be absorbing it all

regards
Rob T8-)

chewy01
11-11-2008, 07:37 PM
Mate the ones you lose r a gift,they are hanging on a rope in the shed so like i said,we can work something out to get the ones back you dont lose, actually im off then so i might een pop up to mondy too...actually i should just give you all the vipers iv found i dont use them but iv found a few...you are more than welcome to use them. i dnt want the ones you lose replaced, just happy some1 will use them 4 a good cause. my young bloke has keen eyes and we normally find a few
chewy

Colo77
11-11-2008, 07:53 PM
Rob, get a packet or 2 of the squidgy slick rigs in the pro range, already have the lighter jig heads & you get some of that new s-factor scent included. The boys have covered mostly everything else.

Colo

BR65
11-11-2008, 08:22 PM
Chewy, dont give him the vipers mate, the aim is to catch a fish...................;D

Big_Ren
11-11-2008, 09:55 PM
Awww mate,
eg

Absolute classic Chewy. ROTFLMAO;D;D;D;D

Rob

The lads have certainly covered most bases, especially for Awoonga. If you do stop and have a fish at Monduran, don't forget the B52s and the Bombers. Make sure your knots are up to scratch or those barra snacks will end up in the pool room 10 foot below.

Cheers
Paul

rob tranter
12-11-2008, 06:43 AM
Absolute classic Chewy. ROTFLMAO;D;D;D;D

Rob

The lads have certainly covered most bases, especially for Awoonga. If you do stop and have a fish at Monduran, don't forget the B52s and the Bombers. Make sure your knots are up to scratch or those barra snacks will end up in the pool room 10 foot below.

Cheers
Paul

Knot tying as well as good lures:-/ sh!t

Is it gunna be worth it;D

Oh yeh I think it is

Rob T8-)

By the way, I'll be one of four in a white Allycraft 4.75 cc with the stickers in blue, rego 500000N.

hornbag
12-11-2008, 07:09 AM
Try the new oar gee oarsome barra lure ,got mine fom bcf and the are a fair price and the lure caught heaps at the barra classic, hope that helps

themissus
12-11-2008, 12:34 PM
I second the slickrigs (100mm or 130mm). Foxie has some of the pro range. They are easy to use and great for beginners, they also swim ok with snaps. That means less knot tying!!
Cheers Kim.

SeekingBarradise
12-11-2008, 01:07 PM
Hi Rob that sounds like a fun trip you are going on with your sons mate.

To get a lot of info all in the one place you may as well grab a copy of
Rod Harrisons "Barra". It has stacks of good info in it with sections on lures and fishing tactics etc. Some sections will need to be looked at a couple of times for the detail to sink in.

This way you can always go back to the camp and have a look through it as the net won't be available next to the campfire etc.

If you like DVD's Mitchell has one out called 'Fish Awoonga' which is also packed with info and it gives you a good look at the dam before you get there. The whole 45 minutes in on Awoonga. Pay attention to what he is doing in every second of the DVD as it's easy to miss a lot of good info.

Most of all mate have fun with the family.
What a great trip.
Cheers Lyndon.

chewy01
12-11-2008, 03:58 PM
shh brian,
it may be my only chance to get rid of em.

BR65
12-11-2008, 07:52 PM
shh brian,
it may be my only chance to get rid of em.

Bloody vipers, even the barra throw em back at ya;)

Magella
14-11-2008, 03:57 PM
Rob,
Cheap lures that catch Barra and don't hold up to bad
Trolcraft Barramundi Dreaming Range Diving Doomu, Croc 24g, Prism Murrin,
Kokoda Avo, Marrs Kingdom, most of these 3 for $20
River2Sea Gekos are often in dump binns cheap

Hope this Helps
Cheers Foxie

eotbmg
14-11-2008, 05:04 PM
Hey Chewy
I dont mind the vipers, and have about 10 barra classics that are complete poo, are you keen on a trade?
Ben

chewy01
20-11-2008, 04:17 PM
not a bad idae ben,actually kickin round the fire at baffle we came up with the iidea of a lure swap, just put em out and take turns at choosing...vipers.....ggaarrrrrr....

Peter4
20-11-2008, 04:38 PM
I once lost two barra, caught three to 97cm (and my thumb) on vipers in a short afternoon session.....

chewy01
20-11-2008, 04:42 PM
yea pete,
im probably guessing you have to hook them onto the end of the line and throw them in the water b4 a barra will bite em. im guessing thats where im going wrong

Peter4
20-11-2008, 08:48 PM
Chewy, Chewy, Chewy.......a poor trademan never blames his tools. Vipers are deadly!;D ;D

Ben, what have got against barra classics?:'(

C'mon boys, they are both perfectly good lures. Granted the both need some 'tuning' but Kyle & I have caught 10+ barra on barra classics (with a particular purple one being Kyle's go to lure when the fishing is tough) and 5 barra on vipers plus one of the biggest monstering hook-ups (which broke the rod) that we ever had......

I suppose you dislike F18s and Xraps as well?;)

So what do you throw at 'em??:-X

Pete

Big_Ren
20-11-2008, 09:00 PM
Chewy, Chewy, Chewy.......a poor trademan never blames his tools. Vipers are deadly!;D ;D

Ben, what have got against barra classics?:'(

C'mon boys, they are both perfectly good lures. Granted the both need some 'tuning' but Kyle & I have caught 10+ barra on barra classics (with a particular purple one being Kyle's go to lure when the fishing is tough) and 5 barra on vipers plus one of the biggest monstering hook-ups (which broke the rod) that we ever had......

I suppose you dislike F18s and Xraps as well?;)

So what do you throw at 'em??:-X

Pete

Ben is using barbed wire at the moment Pete...not sure what brand;D;D

rob tranter
20-11-2008, 09:44 PM
I hope you lot are enjoying each others banter

Meanwhile the info on cheap Lures has dried up, oh hang on, there aren't any cheap one's;D .

Went down to Coff's today to the Tackle place I don't think can get a mention on this site (one of many).
Found all the ones that you have kindly informed me of, and, well, yep they average at around $15.00, so it looks like I'll have to spend more $$$$, well thats fishing;)

And now Vipers are in as well, shit why can't one mobb bring out one lure, that works::) .

I really appreciate all the info given guy's and gal's, as I said, I have not chased Barra before, (except for a very expensive charter in Darwin earlier this year) so I need all the help I can get,. and as usual Ausfish members have come to the rescue.
Thanks again, and keep up the bullshit banter, it's heartening to see there is more than one wayne ker around;D ;D ;D ;D

Oh before I forget

Does size matter all that much:o

Lures that is

And depth? no idea on what depth to fish at Monduran and Awoonga?

Rob T8-)

eotbmg
21-11-2008, 06:51 AM
Rob
I love fishing the shallow waters at Monduran, nothing over 2 meters, preferably over a point.
Average about 120mm+ for the size.
Pete
Dunno about the classics, jury is out,
Mate i have given em a go and never caught a barra on one. Then tied on something different like a Scorpion and caught fish. I know its just a matter of circumstance, if i had had the classic on i may have caught the fish. They are soo bloody noisy too. Checked em out last night in my tackle tray and none even have hooks on them. May have to fix that if i want to catch fish on em, Eh!!!!
Other lures i love are B52, scorpions, Killalure Barra Baits, Vipers, Bombers, the list goes on and on..
Paul
The barbed wire brand is a Ranger special!!!!
Have fun
Ben

chewy01
21-11-2008, 03:54 PM
iv found when its really windy/choppy is the time to use the classics both in the salt and fresh.
chewy..

DEANO68
21-11-2008, 06:29 PM
Rob
I love fishing the shallow waters at Monduran, nothing over 2 meters, preferably over a point.
Average about 120mm+ for the size.
Pete
Dunno about the classics, jury is out,
Mate i have given em a go and never caught a barra on one. Then tied on something different like a Scorpion and caught fish. I know its just a matter of circumstance, if i had had the classic on i may have caught the fish. They are soo bloody noisy too. Checked em out last night in my tackle tray and none even have hooks on them. May have to fix that if i want to catch fish on em, Eh!!!!
Other lures i love are B52, scorpions, Killalure Barra Baits, Vipers, Bombers, the list goes on and on..
Paul
The barbed wire brand is a Ranger special!!!!
Have fun
Ben

dont forget the livley lures arafuras, originals for 2 to 3 metres, or the new shallows that are lucky to hit a metre for the weed beds, the greens for monduran and the new purple, and got fish on the brown at awoonga..
stay away from submurged or even surface wire, and your in with a shot..if you see a wire fence entering the water from the bank,it probablly continues under water..;) simple....
deano..

chewy01
21-11-2008, 07:17 PM
Not anymore deano not anymore.....bahahahahahah(well not in a straight line anyway):) :)

DEANO68
21-11-2008, 07:41 PM
Not anymore deano not anymore.....bahahahahahah(well not in a straight line anyway):) :)

look left ...look right...look out...::)

chewy01
21-11-2008, 08:54 PM
Rob,
on a serious note smiling jacks range may be worth a look. the jacks pillie is my fave lure for casting to broad barred mackeral and salmon.it should work a treat on barra but i cant have it and a gold bomber on the line at once.... or can i..

pontificator
24-11-2008, 12:24 AM
Have a look at Saruna jerk/stick baits to reset the benchmark for a cheap lure to $15. At least one Brissie store has a $50 jointed barra lure.

Chain stores have some proven performers at $5+. Berkley and Nitro (if memory serves)

Having just spent a few dollars on bulk packs of Owner hooks at Foxies I'm contemplating not buying any new lures that don't come with the right hardware.

Hope you get a few, Toonumbar is a beautiful dam, watch out for the drop off at the end of the ramp.You may be able to do some sort of a deal re accomodation at Sommerset and Monduran as the same coy owns both campgrounds (Cabins at lake M)

rob tranter
24-11-2008, 07:48 AM
I think my question was a bit to difficult for an easey answer, the mind is in overload from all the info it has to absorb and remember, I'm starting to go into a spin ahhhhhhhhhhh;) ;D ;) ;D

Thank's a heap guy's

Rob T8-)

2manylures
24-11-2008, 08:17 AM
Rob,
Once you've worked out what lures you want in which colours send me a pm if you can't locate them. I might be able to help you out at better than shop prices.

I've got a few B15's, B16's B17's, B24's Deep Rebel spoonbills, Almost a complete range of Rapalas {no deep x-raps} Big storm lures, Smithwicks, Creek Chub {inc knuckleheads}

No Ozzie lures as I collect them.

toolman2810
05-04-2009, 05:36 PM
I have fished Awoonga once. I have fished for Barra once. Three hours after starting 40lb 110 cm in the boat. The only tip I can give is I think they like ACDC (must be the vibration or something) played at 100% volume. Unless the sst of a can opening gets them on the bite. Would say it was a fluke if we didn't get another big one the next day. 5$ big W lures. We trawled 1/2 the lake over 2 days & caught 3 fish within 200m of the same spot

darylive
05-04-2009, 07:28 PM
Well Rob as you would have realised by now you have found 'THE MOB' ;D

AND IF THIS BLOODY THING WORKED THERE WOULD BE A HEAP OF QUOTES HERE! >:(>:(>:(>:(>:(>:(>:(:(

Any way as for all round economic lures you won't go past the ol' B52.

We are prolly not supposed to mention names like barra havoc so I won't. But Foxie has a beaut web site with the stuff you are looking for.

There is no end to the Barra Banter here mate and there is not and never will be a consensus on the best lure or technique other wise what we would talk about?

PM for some bargains ;) I was considering donations until some rediculous nonsense about NSW. >:(

QUEENSLANDER!

Remember this is Barra country!
Bass Barra and Crocs!
NOT COCKROACHES

NAGG
05-04-2009, 07:47 PM
Well Rob as you would have realised by now you have found 'THE MOB' ;D

AND IF THIS BLOODY THING WORKED THERE WOULD BE A HEAP OF QUOTES HERE! >:(>:(>:(>:(>:(>:(>:(:(

Any way as for all round economic lures you won't go past the ol' B52.

We are prolly not supposed to mention names like barra havoc so I won't. But Foxie has a beaut web site with the stuff you are looking for.

There is no end to the Barra Banter here mate and there is not and never will be a consensus on the best lure or technique other wise what we would talk about?

PM for some bargains ;) I was considering donations until some rediculous nonsense about NSW. >:(

QUEENSLANDER!

Remember this is Barra country!
Bass Barra and Crocs!
NOT COCKROACHES

CALM THE F#@& DOWN DARYL .....

I hope you are not having a shot at me ......... because if you are ............ :vrolijk_26:

Cheers ..... Chris

darylive
05-04-2009, 08:21 PM
Righto you lot, I thought this thread was about me getting heaps of tips about cheap Lures, not you people giving it to each other about sh!t know's what:D
Bro you are intefering with a long running tradition here
It would help if you would elaberate, then we would all understand::)
Chewy
Mate not sure of dates I'll be through, other than as said, we leave God's country (translated as NSW "GO THE BLUES";D ) on the 3rd Jan and will end up at Awoonga around the 9th and 10th January, but I appreciate the offer of the lures, very gutzy, replacing only those that are lost,( that could be quite a few) could still end up a very expensive exercise;) , I guess trawling the dams is out?:o
Cheers for the info guy's keep it coming, I get on here around four to five times a day,(yeh I know) so I will be absorbing it all
regards
Rob T8-)
Rob Try not to absord it all mate, you will end up with IBD! :o and there is no known cure! Some Cockys have even had to move camp! ;)
Hope this Helps
Cheers Foxie[/quote]

Foxie, check out "Jackies 'Barra Havoc'" at Mondy, sponsers of "THEMONDYMOB"

I think my question was a bit to difficult for an easey answer, the mind is in overload from all the info it has to absorb and remember, I'm starting to go into a spin ahhhhhhhhhhh;) ;D ;) ;D

Thank's a heap guy's

Rob T8-)

NOW ROB WE TAKE OUR IBD very seriously up here in the real world
'Don't you worry about that' JBP.

Well now all the quotes come up? this is why computers have pass word so the Basards know when it is me! and !@%^@^(*&^*)!!!! >:(

Chris as for me having a go at you WTF? did I miss something? Is the altitude playing havoc? Too Far north?

Ol' mate who's name I forgot already? Is from NSW! you remember NSW Nagg. We don't want to encourage them coming up here killin our Kangaroos and scaring the bloody Monkeys!
Next minute they will be moving here! >:(

So how is Brisneyland ;D

crab man
06-04-2009, 01:52 PM
globable warming should have barra dams in nsw in no time , start stocking clarrie hall soon i think then the queenslaner will be following there dirty canetoads down the hill !!:P

(Yes all my lights are on at home even got the two cars running and burning tyres out the back ) !! hahaha ;D

Slimmy jacks a cheapo lure that has worked well for me at mondy but the hooks are shit on them
Cheers Craig

NAGG
06-04-2009, 05:33 PM
Rob Try not to absord it all mate, you will end up with IBD! :o and there is no known cure! Some Cockys have even had to move camp! ;)
Hope this Helps
Cheers Foxie

Foxie, check out "Jackies 'Barra Havoc'" at Mondy, sponsers of "THEMONDYMOB"

NOW ROB WE TAKE OUR IBD very seriously up here in the real world
'Don't you worry about that' JBP.

Well now all the quotes come up? this is why computers have pass word so the Basards know when it is me! and !@%^@^(*&^*)!!!! >:(

Chris as for me having a go at you WTF? did I miss something? Is the altitude playing havoc? Too Far north?

Ol' mate who's name I forgot already? Is from NSW! you remember NSW Nagg. We don't want to encourage them coming up here killin our Kangaroos and scaring the bloody Monkeys!
Next minute they will be moving here! >:(

So how is Brisneyland ;D[/quote]

Brisneyland is good Daryl ....... thanks for asking

We can discuss monkeys in a couple of weeks over a wee dram or two :P

Chris

darylive
06-04-2009, 06:44 PM
possibly three