PDA

View Full Version : Trailers and Your Choice.........

Kiktz
08-11-2008, 06:18 PM
Looking for some helpfull advice on trailers.
I u greaded my tinny about 6 months back to a 445 Kakadu Karrier.
I am looking to fit her with a new trailer at some point but I have looked and looked at sites and I think I am just getting all confused.

I would like to here from tinny owners about trailers good and bad I suppose
as to there choice of easy loading and easy unloading trailers.

Cheers Aj

tenzing
08-11-2008, 07:07 PM
AJ,
I'm certainly no trailer expert but I have had two Dunbier trailers and I've been fully satisfied with both. The Best thing about my last boat was the trailer.
Cheers ' Brendan

tunaticer
08-11-2008, 07:16 PM
It's a pretty close battle between the top contenders these days. I would be looking for a trailer that has fully open ends and no traps for salt water to pool in. That alone will double the lifespan of the trailer you buy.

Every trailer will have its own peculiarities with launch and retrieve, you will just have to find the sweet spot for whichever trailer you buy.

Fully submersible sealed lights should be mandatory on trailers these days, if they are not you need to walk away, cuz chances are they have cut corners elsewhere.

Jack.

Kiktz
08-11-2008, 07:20 PM
I hear you on the lights Jack. The last trailer I had for my 420 dory were the Narva
sealed unit. I have to say if it wasn't a mate the bought the boat off me I would have taken them off. Impressive to say the least.

Aj

Chamelion
08-11-2008, 08:23 PM
Considered a poly trailer? It won't rust!

finga
08-11-2008, 08:36 PM
As mentioned above the more exposed the steel is the better it is for washing.
Some are made out of a section like an I beam now such as the Trailcraft.
The x-members should have a bend in them pointing down so the hull fits nice and snug as a bug.
Straight X-members just mean the boat sits a lot higher on the trailer which has it's own difficulties.
Boat should hopefully be able to fit between the mudguards. this will also reduce the height of your tinny on the trailer.
Type of hubs and bearings has to be considered. Some trailers have funny hubs and use funny sized bearings.

There's few considerations :)

How's the hexhead going matey? Still shiny?

Cheers Scott :)

backlash08
09-11-2008, 06:47 PM
I have a new swiftco open channel or I beam trailer, fantastic for cleaning and a good quality unit
cheers - Craig

Ocean_Spirit
09-11-2008, 08:56 PM
Onto our 7th Tinka trailer and have not had one issue with any of the trailers. Excellent back-up service and they are great for launching and retrieving. The skid trailer we had under the Quintrex did the job nicely.

milligan
10-11-2008, 06:40 PM
I find the dunbier trailer the best I have had,now adays I don't submerge trailer
as I launch off beach, with my old trailer I wrapped the arse end in denko wrap,two years later when I sold trailer under neath still shiney.
Cheers Lew.

tin can marlin
10-11-2008, 10:11 PM
Duniber is hard to beat imo ring shane at duinber real nice bloke to talk to an deal with good luck and let us all know how you get on.

Kiktz
11-11-2008, 02:12 PM
Thanks Guys are the Dumbier Trailers open or closed channel?
Also consencious of what stud parttern they run? If you guys can help out there.

Scotty, No worries here mate still in the bag just finding the time to get out and use the bloody thing is the hard part these days.

STUIE63
11-11-2008, 02:27 PM
I reckon the stud pattern should match the tow car if possible (extra spare tyre)
my dunbier is good
Stuie