PDA

View Full Version : townsville fisho's

Local_Guy
07-11-2008, 10:30 PM
I was looking at my navionics chart today on my sounder and it showed an enormous amount of what appeared to be "no anchor zones" between the harbour and Magnetic Is. and also around the Reef's up north a short distance.

Now i can understand the no anchor zones between the harbour and the island due to the submarine cables that are run, but why is the area north of the island marked as so.

do you have any web sites that tell you your local rules on the area.

thanks in advance.

ronnien
07-11-2008, 10:34 PM
what do u mean "no anochor zones,
sorry but had a few jimey's tonite & cant think good.

ron.

Local_Guy
07-11-2008, 10:43 PM
had icons on my sounder of little red anchors with a \ through them obviously indicating no anchor zones...

wanted to know the reason for this..

ronnien
07-11-2008, 10:54 PM
there is a few underwater pipes, elec cables, going to the island.
maybe the ones further out are unexplored areas, being from the war.eg. mines.

ron.

borisdog
08-11-2008, 12:18 AM
Another possibility is the area to the North of Magnetic Island, around Rattlesnake and Herald Islands, is often used as a Military Live Fire Zone.

The area definitely is not a permanent "No Anchoring" Zone so it does seem a bit doubtful that is the reason though.

I also have the Navionics cartography so I might have a look out of curiousity - I very rarely go out that way anymore so I'm not sure if what you speak of is even on my charts.

Darryl

Scott nthQld
08-11-2008, 09:22 AM
could be no anchor zones marked in the dirty great shipping channel too, I mean we know we aren't allowed, but joe bloggs who just got his boat licence and big flash cruiser might not. I've seen the big ships anchored behind maggie, waiting for the pilot and or an opening of the docks.

Fisher4life
08-11-2008, 12:52 PM
i would say it is No Anchoring for vessels over a certain length, eg. container ships.

Quite often heading out to the reef you will see 5 or so ships anchored about 15-20k out of townsville because they aren't allowed to anchor any closer to Townsville while waiting, like scott said

borisdog
08-11-2008, 06:04 PM
That's probably what it is - Certain length vessels.

The military range is marked on my Navionics with the "No Entry" sign.

Probably on the paper chart there's a note about the requirements.

Always lots of fisho's anchored up in the area, lots or rubble etc in there.

Darryl