PDA

View Full Version : More boat questions.....4.6m brooker

goat boy
07-11-2008, 04:47 PM
After umming and ahhing about what kind of boat to get and 2nd hand vs new etc I've pretty much decided on a new brooker 4.6 for the money I have ($20k)

The question I have is, is a 40hp adequate for this boat? (brooker recommends 50hp however dealers advertise BMT packages with a 40hp on them)
I've researched a few threads and was interested in the whole 'newer boats are overpowering on motors' thing. I'm not looking at wanting the extra hp just to go faster or to say I have it (and it's not money either, I can afford a 50 if need be)
I just don't want to pay for it if it's not justified....and I could spend the extra on other goodies I guess, haha. Most of the time it will only be pushing 1 or 2 ppl + gear although I imagine on a rare occassion it would be pushing 4 ppl.

This would be a first boat for me and I know bugger all...so you can see my dilemma?

Cheers for any help

Goat

Chimo
07-11-2008, 05:02 PM
Hi Goat

Rule of thumb is the go for max HP and back off the throttle. Its more economical in most cases.

Another rule of thumb is why buy new when there are many many deals out there with lots of goodies already fitted that unfortunately for the vendor but happily for you, you dont pay much for as they depreciate really fast.

Esp in these eco circumstances its perhaps worth thinking about not to mention that its your first boat.

Cheers
Chimo

Sea-Dog
07-11-2008, 05:02 PM
I just bought a 4.85 SeaJay Territory with 60HP Yammy 4St for 18,250 last weekend.

There are 2 dealers for SeaJay in/near brisbane.

Maybe worth a look?

http://www.seajayboats.com.au/territory.html

Cheers

nigelr
07-11-2008, 06:06 PM
Go the 50.
Simple as that.
However, beyond that, note well Chimos' and Sea Dogs' posts. Cash is king ATM. Go hard!
Cheers.

Local_Guy
07-11-2008, 06:16 PM
mate. i probably have the exact boat your about to buy and i can tell you that the 40hp gets the boat going sweet.
i get on average 2.4km'h/1L, or 60km's out of a 25L tank
i can't comment on more than 2 people, but the boat doesn't struggle to get 25kts (47km'h)... with gear. and up the creek she goes 26.4kts

if the boat you are looking at is teh centre console, then it will make a great first boat. i know, it's my first boat. easy to handle by yourself and extremely stable in the water.

Leighton
07-11-2008, 06:33 PM
I would get the 50hp
Does the 40hp have Electric Trim and Tilt. IMO electric trim and tilt is well worth the money

goat boy
07-11-2008, 06:53 PM
Thanks everyone for the comments. I actually have always leaned towards 2nd hand but I have a missus and she is pressuring a bit for a new boat if I can find one for the price (one that she is happy with too..."I'm not sitting in a little dinghy"!
The research I've been doing (a lot on these very forums) pointed me to Brooker.
It's the runabout (again, I was happy with the cc, the missus doesn't like the look of it though...haha) although I am happy with a runabout anyway.
I have a list of quotes with various motors and extras from a dealer I have been speaking to this week (can't find it at the mo), off hand I can't remember about electric trim and tilt but as I am clueless it doesn't strike me as something I have specifically asked for.
I'm off to see the dealer tommorow and hopefully seal a deal

Chimo
07-11-2008, 07:25 PM
Goat

I'd put money on the fact that your missus (and ultimately you too )would be a lot happier in a boat with a cuddy cabin and a couple of bunks and most importantly a loo (portapoti).

Funny thing about having a cabin, a loo and somewhere to get out of the sun and or weather and you never tire of finding reasons to use the facilities!.;)

Thought for the day; he who races out to buy new repents at his leisure !!:P

20K would buy you a lot of barely used boats these days and dont forget to sort out whos going to service your motor before you pick a brand. Multiple threads here on that aspect of the boating game.

Cheers
Chimo

ozbee
07-11-2008, 07:45 PM
there use to be a time when all that was around was the good old 25 johono and it was quite sufficient im sure the extra 4 klm s / hour is going to fill the boat with extra fish.

Local_Guy
07-11-2008, 08:33 PM
my 40hp merc 2stk, is teh 3cyl version which has the trim and tilt

http://www.cunninghamsmarine.com.au/brooker_460freedom.shtml

thats my boat goatboy. but note it's actually more expensive now than when i bought it at the start of the year

to help u outwith price. in their options on the "cunninghams package" link i got VHF sounder, bimini, safety gear and spare trailer wheel for $17,400.

if thats the boat your looking at and you want any specific info on it, send me a pm.

boatie_72
07-11-2008, 08:45 PM
i saw Kartzmanns have Horizon now, they had a new 445 Runabout with a 40hp with PT&T for like $14,990. had 3 years warranty might be worth a look

tin can marlin
07-11-2008, 09:57 PM
I would think that a horizen would have better resale than a brooker it seems a bit cheap to me but always worth a look maybe it does not have all of the opitions of the cunninghams deal but u could do yourself i would pop in and have a look at northside marine to they are doing some great deals on stacer at the moment.