PDA

View Full Version : Hinze Dam & Somerset Dam

Pobblebonk
07-11-2008, 11:22 AM
Hi guys!

I'm going fishing at Hinze Dam on Sunday - I've been reading some of the threads here re: Hinze fishing and they're not looking too good!

Does anyone have any tips for fishing there? We don't have a boat, so will be shore based. Bait? Tackle?

Also, next weekend we are going to Somerset Dam. Anyone got any tips for fishing there shore-based?

Also, just another annoying question - what about North Pine Dam? Is it any good there?

bar raider
14-11-2008, 02:59 PM
hi pobbs, howd you go at Hinze??

Ive been there 3 weeks in a row and while the first trip went well the other two were hard work just to even get little fellas.

Pobblebonk
14-11-2008, 03:10 PM
I didn't end up going! We were supposed to go camping at Binna Burra that weekend, and on the Saturday I changed my mind and we ended up at Somerset.

Caught diddly squat too, although the fish were jumping (is that mullet?), I was using live worms and after half an hour - still the same worm on the end of my line. The only thing that amused me at the time was trying not to fall off the half-submerged tree log I was using as a 'jetty'...

oldboot
16-11-2008, 09:00 PM
You are problay beter of throwing some sort of lure or soft plastic in those situations.

1. it is more interesting and will develop your casting.

2. if you dont catch anything... you can just tell people you were only out for the casting practice;D

3. if mr chicken like to wind in...... you have him amused for hours;D

cheers

sea tiger
18-11-2008, 08:13 PM
Hi Pobblebonk
My brother and i fished somerset on the 1. 11. 08 & last Sunday for very good results. Catching high numbers of bass & the odd yellowbelly all on lures trolled behind our boat. Without a boat you are pretty restricted, but if you can get a hold of some live shrimp, hooking them through the tail so they stay alive is your best bait, lightly weighted. Fishing the edges of points & inlets are a good place to try, fish early morns or late afternoons for best results. Take some small lures also and give them a go, like "Micro Mullet" or soft plastics, ice jigs & hop them along the bottom. Best of luck
Cheers Tiger.