PDA

View Full Version : theoretical question if I may about sunken boats???

finga
07-11-2008, 08:34 AM
If a boat sunk right.
How long could it stay under water before corrosion stuffed the motor, either out or inboard??
Not talking about the electrics/ectronics etc. Just the basic bores, bearings etc.

Only reason I ask this is because theoretically the rate of corrosion underwater should be a lot slower then if the poor old tub was raised and let sit exposed.
I know if you look at them as soon as they come out they're OK.
I've had to do this myself once when the motor launched itself after hitting a log. it went glub, glub and then Vvvvvvvvvrrrrrrooooommmmm later that day.
Cheers Scott :)

STUIE63
07-11-2008, 09:17 AM
Scott I think you've got it nailed the big thing would be what was done to the boat & motor and how quickly once it was raised
Stuie

Noelm
07-11-2008, 09:46 AM
any length of time in salt water will stuff it up big time, the best option is to get it up and running ASAP anymore than a day and you might as well save your time and money, lots have been revied after longer periods, but lots also fail a few eeks/months later, it also depends if it was running when it went under, sometimes that can stuff it up almost instantly, long before salt water does!

Dirtysanchez
07-11-2008, 10:03 AM
Years ago a mate's dad was fishing not far from us and due to weight shift and chop, and some big guys in the boat, they flipped doing about 8 knots.

Little 15hp Merc..anyway Mal took it home after it sucked some salt & pulled it down and cleaned it up, it's still in the family today :D