PDA

View Full Version : Thoughts on old Trawler style boats.

iceknight
06-11-2008, 11:32 PM
Whats everyones thoughts on old style trawlers. for live aboards/weekend fishing, Does anyone know how long the timber will last? I know it lasts for ages.. but is there a certain age where it just leaks/weeps/ rots out,

Thinking of getting one in new yearish.. something around the 50ft mark would be nice
:D

finga
07-11-2008, 06:20 AM
Brilliant they are. Just brilliant.
If the maintenance is kept up they'll last forever.
The main thing is to do the anti foul and little repairs when required. That's just like any boat that's moored.

Pending on the hull style or maker they are....how can I put it....just brilliant! :D

They cost a motza for a decent one, they can cost a motza if something happens to say the motor and just about everything in them costs a lot due to the size.

What amased me with them was the running costs. A mate of Marlin Mikes and myself has one (45') and she uses 7-8 litres an hour cruising on the 8 knots (just right for trolling I reckon). I thought it'll take forever to go somewhere at 8-9 knots (she's still has the working box and prop) but with the enjoyment and comfort of the journey who cares. It has room to move around, the full sized dunny, the large fridge, the full stove, hot and cold shower etc etc etc :)

Put it this way...If I could i would have one of them.
My brother is looking at getting a pimp boat or a larger cat. I took him and dad around to look at the above mentioned boat and he just looked at dad and said...how long do ya reckon that'll take ya to do?
This particular one we looked at has just finished a 2 year rebuild though.

GBC
07-11-2008, 07:30 AM
Awesome choice, get a boatbuilder (real one) to check the boards haven't started rotting and they are a great boat. Older perkins style engines are relatively simple to love.
One day when I have time ...............

Noelm
07-11-2008, 07:35 AM
in theory a wooden Boat could last forever, but most just die from lack of maintenance, if you are considering an old EX Trawler or something (and they can be very cheap) you need to factor in perhaps a repower for way less HP than it has now, simply because you will not be pulling a net around anymore, but sometimes, those older style slow reving Motors will be as cheap to run as a smaller Diesel working at full load, the accomodation can be very sparse as well, so that needs to be priced in as well, but then again there is a pile of old Pilot Boat types around that will be quite nicely equipped, best off to look long and hard at what is around before jumping in, with the buy back of licenses going on, some really good Boats are going for Peanuts minus licences and stuff, I saw two weeks ago a 60' well known brand name Trawler for sale with twin Gardner Diesels for $60 grand ONO, fully licensed it was probably in the $300,000 range!

Noelm
07-11-2008, 07:37 AM
OH and about the speed thing, you will be very surprised how far you go at a steady pace through all types of chop and wind, you are not on and off the throttles like an Outboard powered craft, 30knots one second, 5 the next, and the slow pace and gentle roll will be very soothing after a while.

Chimo
07-11-2008, 08:08 AM
Great boats. This was my b-in-laws Pompei. Sold it and the current owner in Sydney has apparently collected 3 of them. The steadying sail, self furling jib, really steadys the boat and reduces the roll.

Cheers
Chimo

geeffa
07-11-2008, 08:13 AM
g,day iceknight, i have a 10mt clem masters it was a trawler up hervey bay area in the early 80,s. it was converted into a cabin cruiser a few years later. it,s a timber boat glassed over. i have 4 batteries in it, 2 4 backup. i have 2 solar panels on the roof,so i can go away 4 days at a timei call it our caravan on the water. with timber boats just be carefull ,they suffer a lot from dry rot. make sure u have some one look at it properly. get a survey done on it, because they know exactly were to look 4.they cost bugger all to run,i reckon there great. i troll in mine every were i go because my top speed is 8 knots. if your not in a hurry to get anywhere they are a great way to enjoy the bay know that the have lowered the speed limit in a lot of areas. i wish u luck on your quest; enjoy geeffa.

iceknight
07-11-2008, 08:29 AM
Yeh i worked on trawlers for a number of years. 50 odd footers. and covering ground is not a problem. a few hours to the cape is nothing when you got a tv goin or a stereo and a beer in hand, and a few mates, i heard there might be another licence buy back early in the year... this is when im planning on buying one :D

would like to spend 60ish and mabee another 20 at least on a refit... does this sound plausable?

finga
07-11-2008, 08:36 AM
Just be careful as there's some absolute crap on the market and costs seem to esculate very, very quickly.
ie motor....might seem okky dokky but does a waterpump or lets a sleeve go or does a main. $30-40,000 later she's a beauty

Noelm
07-11-2008, 08:47 AM
I reckon for that sort of money, if you look hard and carefully, you will pick up a bargain, there is a heap of Fibreglass Boats going around now, good to great condition, 45 footish for around $100,000 and some that need a bit of TLC for half that, a lot are a bit tatty, but still very sound other wise, as I said, look and look at everything that you think might suit, what size do you prefer?

GBC
07-11-2008, 04:14 PM
I'd be looking for a 40-45 ft single decker millcraft (the ones that are always painted orange and white and have the anchoring post on the swept up bow).
Very sea kindly and only run 150 odd h.p. single screw. Never heard of a twin engined trawler on the East Coast (aux and gensets aside). The very max h.p. any ec trawler could run by law was 400 h.p. and they'd be well out of your price range.
Getting real jealous now.

You'd be doing well to find a very good one in that price bracket, but it's enough to buy something good enough.

Chimo
07-11-2008, 06:32 PM
There you go
http://boatpoint.ninemsn.com.au/boats-for-sale/details.aspx?R=2997088

another one too but dearer

Gees the milcraft are exy!

Chimo

iceknight
07-11-2008, 06:43 PM
I looked at a few on boat point around the 50 grand mark.. a few 45 odd footers.. all i need is a sound hull, the rest i can do my self as i go along. Even the motor is no problem.. the parts being the dearest part....as i can do all the labour my self. Years ago i worked on a trawler called the "Sonya" Im almost sure geoff paid about 30 grand for it it was about 45 foot, minus electronics when he got it tho, it had a cat in, which was ample power. I figured buying a house would be a waste as i live alone and fish every second i get, After all the rates and stuff that is paid on a house can go towards wear and tear on the boat and mooring fees if applicable,

rando
07-11-2008, 07:00 PM
Maintenance on a boat of this sort,averages out at 10% of the value of the vessal per year , so on a vessal valued at $50k,,,plus mooring fees, you need to think in terms of fixed outgoings of $8k per year
Then figure the running costs.

Apollo
07-11-2008, 07:40 PM
Iceknight

With the recently announced Mb marine park, there is a structural adjustment package being sorted to get rid of some of the affected pro fishers. At this stage, this should sorted by early next year, so with their licences gone, some will be obviously selling boats. Most of the industries will affected, so there should be a selection of trawl, net, line, crab and beam boats available. Just remember that trawlers are really just tow truck, so have relatively large motors, where as say a similar sized crab or line boats are smaller motored and in general a bit quicker in design.

cheers

iceknight
07-11-2008, 08:01 PM
yeh thats the buy back im waiting for :D i know most of these trawlers use about 7-9 liters an hour at 9ish knots. thats just steaming. no towing gear or anything like that. Im thinking more a trawler type vessle due to wanting to live on the water as such,

tin can marlin
07-11-2008, 11:06 PM
I tell you what the way the marine game is at the moment you would get a cheap one

trueblue
08-11-2008, 09:34 AM
I've been thinking about a big boat like this for a while now as well.

I do like going fast, but at the same time, it would be nice to be heading out to the banks on autopilot, sitting back in a comfy chair, in the air conditioning. Then if the weather is nice, you could stay out there very comfortably until whenever you want to come back in.

It would also be fantastic for days out at the island, kyaks etc on the back, inflatable zodiac, etc, etc as mod cons available.

Lock up cabin, lots of storage space, lots of shade, fridge, freezer,

its all good...

cheers

Mick

lee8sec
08-11-2008, 10:18 AM
Looks like a few have had/got the same idea;D . Leigh

http://www.queenslandfishingbrokerage.com.au/ex-trawlers/

http://ensignbrokers.com.au/ed.php?de=38702

iceknight
08-11-2008, 02:25 PM
I was actually looking at that second link lee8sec, I msged them for more details a few days ago :D, although idealy i would like something a tad bigger

trev1
08-11-2008, 03:30 PM
I rekon there should be a lot more of them myself. I like the idea of towing my console out to the reef and using a larger boat as a base. Be able to anchor up inside a lagoon and use the center console to fish the shallows.
On a different note, what are the legalities of putting my own mooring in one of the larger creeks up around Mackay. There would have to be some sort of standard to create the mooring to, wouldn't there?

Rod Fishing
08-11-2008, 03:53 PM
What licence did you need to drive one of these bad boys, if it is not being used for a comercial use?

Cheers Rod....8-)

nigelr
09-11-2008, 06:06 AM
Good question, Rod, like to find that out myself.
Sure could present a fantastic lifestyle........
Cheers.

finga
09-11-2008, 07:05 AM
What licence did you need to drive one of these bad boys, if it is not being used for a comercial use?

Cheers Rod....8-)
From what I understand your right with the license you have for the boat in your picture.
But I will, thankfully, stand corrected if it be the case that I'm wrong.

iceknight
09-11-2008, 01:03 PM
Yeh from what i can gather all is needed is a rec boating licence, Im calling transport on monday to check tho :) ...Wonder how i would go to get a hydraulic crane engineered on the roof. so i could leave my 4.58 streaker up there, and when its neeeded lift it down to the water :) hence not having to tow it around all the time,

dec0guy
09-11-2008, 06:50 PM
have a look at what these people have done

http://cruisingunderpower.fastmail.net

Noelm
10-11-2008, 07:14 AM
Never heard of a twin engined trawler on the east coast
Not too sure on that statement, east Coast of what?? I could show you about 8 Trawlers in my Local Harbour (on the East Coast), and they ALL have twin Engines!

lee8sec
10-11-2008, 04:28 PM
Iam to busy at the moment but some one may be interested. Leigh

http://cgi.ebay.com.au/52-foot-Timber-Trawler_W0QQitemZ180305258614QQcmdZViewItem?hash=i tem180305258614&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14&_trkparms=66%3A2%7C65%3A1%7C39%3A1%7C240%3A1318

nigelr
10-11-2008, 05:26 PM
Fantastic read dec0guy, thanks for that.
Man, what a life!
Can't see myself convincing the 'admiral' in this lifetime, though.
Cheers!

lee8sec
10-11-2008, 05:45 PM
Also this one. Leigh
http://www.tradingpost.com.au/Marine/Power/Power-Boats/AdNumber=TP000628781?BackToResult=true