PDA

View Full Version : summerset bass and yellers????

nuggstar
06-11-2008, 08:32 PM
i might have a chance to fish summerset and just wanna no, whats the best lures to use there at the moment. iv never been so i dont no what to exspect.

rc@hinze
06-11-2008, 08:44 PM
Dont know what is working at the moment there but you would have to take some Jackells and spinnerbaits as a main part of your arsenal. Lots of photos I've seen of Somerset fish I noticed that deep diving boomerang style lures seem to be prominant. - RC

nuggstar
06-11-2008, 08:55 PM
ok do ya have any idear what the structure is like there, ie rock banks, weed beds, lillys

udlman
06-11-2008, 09:14 PM
Main structure in Somerset is the riverbed. Use your sounder to find the river bed and troll jackalls and heavy spinnerbaits till you find the fish, then cast and Retrieve jackalls, spinnerbaits and soft plastics, cast out, lets sink to about where the fish seem (count down) and then slow roll(wind) back to the boat, throw in a couple of pauses as well. Spots to try would be, Queen St, Bay 13, Flats around Pelican point, Wyangi creek, Red rock and more, you will get the idea of where to look when you get there. Fish could be in all or none of the above spots, you just need to look for them.

Hth, Brad

MeePee_99
06-11-2008, 09:15 PM
There is rock and timber in somerset, the best way i find to fish somerset is to fish tn60 jackalls and spinnerbait to the edges in the morning and then look for the bass which are schooled up, once located most times they are reasonable easy to catch. The best lures to target these fish are mask vibe jackalls in the 60 and 70 size and metal vibes such as the evergreen little max in 1/2.

nuggstar
06-11-2008, 10:15 PM
cool thanks guys
mee pee have ya tryed the tt switch blades in there or just the little max

MeePee_99
07-11-2008, 06:13 AM
Yer i have caught fish onthe tt's at Maroon dam, but when fishing somerset you are fishing in water 10-15+ metres deep most times and the tt doesnt really have enough weight.

Jungle Jim
07-11-2008, 08:23 AM
hey guys i was thinkling of heading up there this weekend for the first time fishing and appreciate all the advice posted.......

i don't won't to hijack the thread but -does anyone know if the wind (15-25k northerlies) have much affect on the fishing...? queen st and the like seem like pretty exposed areas.

Nugg i just thoguht it might save both of us a trip if we find out that these winds would severly affect the fishing...

probably won't be many ski boats there in that wind though...;D

Jim

slyman
07-11-2008, 12:20 PM
I've ony fished there a couple of times, and when I've caught fish, they've been on jackalls. A couple of bass on a mask vibe in open deep water, and a nice golden on a tn60 up against a steep rocky wall.

Have a look at the latest Modern Fishing, theres an article about somerset bass and the first page of the article is a double page shot of a 3kg "football", a magic looking fish! The bloke is holding his rod in the shot too and it has a jackall maskvibe tied on.

Luc
07-11-2008, 03:12 PM
There are 2 choices to launch, Kirkleigh and The Spit.

I've had trips when launching at The spit was better as the higher banks provided more shelter from the wind.

If you look at a map of Somerst, you can see that winds blowing from the south-east travel unobstructed from the Red Rock/Wyangy Creek area towards Kirkleigh and have plenty of distance to generate waves.

Luc

SWFISHER
10-11-2008, 02:12 PM
I Heard The Water Is 90 Feet Deep At Red Rock? Would This Be Right? Cheers Kevin

Nobby
10-11-2008, 10:08 PM
Yes the water is 90ft deep at red rock fished there on Friday no fish caught could,nt find any schools of fish anywhere only got a couple of bumps might of been bonys plenty of them around very hot day surface temp 28c:-/

Little grey men
12-11-2008, 10:43 AM
Mate, don't forget to take some plastics along. Bass are suckers for a bit of wobbly rubber. Yellas love them too.
Sliders. Gulp minnows etc etc etc.
A couple of beetlespins will aid you in your cause as well.

Jungle Jim
12-11-2008, 01:29 PM
thanks guys for the info i don't know about nugg but my trip has been rescheduled to this weekend.

the plan is troll around until we can find some schooled up fish then drop some bombs on em. ;D

maybe not bombs..... but blades, soft and hard jackalls and relatively heavily weighted plastics. 1/4- 1/2 oz.

if we can't find schooled up fish it'llbe the edges with lipless baits and spinner baits.

if anyone has another advice im open to suggestions.

Jim