PDA

View Full Version : stocked impound cast netting

snodger 08
06-11-2008, 07:52 PM
I have been trying to find out if its legal to use a cast net in stocked impounds in Queensland. Can anyone tell me if its legal?
Also, are there red claw in Monduran?
Cheers
Steve

slyman
06-11-2008, 07:56 PM
G'day mate

this is from the DPI site

Examples of prohibited fishing gear

Floatlines
All forms of nets except landing nets and scoop or dip nets
Fish traps
Drum nets
Cross-lines
Spears and spear gunsHeres the link if you want to have a read...

http://www.dpi.qld.gov.au/cps/rde/dpi/hs.xsl/28_3023_ENA_HTML.htm

snodger 08
06-11-2008, 07:58 PM
Cheers Simon. I did have big ideas of trying to get a few bony bream for the mrs to use live baiting at Monduran.
Thanks again
Steve

flairj
06-11-2008, 08:09 PM
Illegal

and No

Don't get caught trying either. I heard they castrated a guy that was using live red claw for bait ::) ::)

snodger 08
06-11-2008, 08:13 PM
"L"I guess the mrs will have to settle for using worms and landing some big fat catties then.
Thanks fellas

birko
06-11-2008, 09:57 PM
Mate you can live bait fish, you just cannot use a cast net to gather the bait. I may be wrong but if you catch red claw in a legal type trap you can use them as bait. But please check the regs on this.

In some inpoundments people jig or use a small hook and bread for spangles and use them as livies. Just check that what ever you use is legal to catch and within the prescribed legal lenght before using as bait.

But I say again .... it is illegal to use a cast net in qld in fresh water.

Also most barra caught on livies are gut hooked and will probably die some time after release. Also you will encounter a lot of catfish.

Hope you have a great time.

Cheers
Birko

Dick Pasfield
08-11-2008, 12:31 PM
Also most barra caught on livies are gut hooked

Circle hooks and placement of the hook as far back on the bait as practical spins these figures around the other way:)

Also if the barb is nipped just a touch just so livey does not come off or a hook like a Gasmakatsu Octopus circle is used it can be surprisingly easy to remove it from the gut without any further damage to the fish. The method is a bit tricky but when done properly takes only a couple of seconds.

The techniques is as follows -

Keep the fish in the water with its head pointing towards you

One hand grabs the fish by the lower jaw and controls the fish's position in the water column

You lean forward over the gunwale, grabbing the leader in your teeth and pull back to apply some tension to the line, your head is about 60cms from the fish's head that is now just out of the water for the last step.

The other hand slips a pair of bent nosed pliers up through the gill plate (missing the gills, you can easily guide them since you're looking straight down the mouth) grabs the shank of the hook (that has being exposed by you pulling back on the line in your teeth) and twists, the hook pops out providing the barb's profile is small enough to allow it.

Personally I've seen more damage done to a barra by the multiple hooks of a treble tangled in the folds of flesh under the chin or the whole lure jammed down the mouth as opposed to the single puncture hole of a circle hook.

snodger 08
09-11-2008, 07:08 PM
Thanks for your help fella's. We mostly catch and release, so thanks for the tips Dick.
Steve

Moffy
22-12-2008, 12:04 PM
re gut hooked impoundment barra using live bait - fished for Barra in tinaroo in the early days almost exclusively using live bait - lost count of the number of barra we caught from small models right up to well over a metre.

Most successful bait was actually quite small (compared to the baits we'd use in the salt) and I cannot recall ever gut hooking one barra - all were hooked in the corner of the mouth using j hooks (i.e the standard mustad hooks i use out the reef - no circles.)

I suspect this was probably due to how we fished the livies though - which was under a partially inflated balloon and when the balloon went under we hit the fish hard within a second or so. If we didn't hit them that early we generally missed the fish as they spat the bait from feeling the "weight" of the balloon.

i would like to know how to regularly catch bony bream though.....

Moffy

snodger 08
22-12-2008, 05:46 PM
re gut hooked impoundment barra using live bait - fished for Barra in tinaroo in the early days almost exclusively using live bait - lost count of the number of barra we caught from small models right up to well over a metre.

Most successful bait was actually quite small (compared to the baits we'd use in the salt) and I cannot recall ever gut hooking one barra - all were hooked in the corner of the mouth using j hooks (i.e the standard mustad hooks i use out the reef - no circles.)

I suspect this was probably due to how we fished the livies though - which was under a partially inflated balloon and when the balloon went under we hit the fish hard within a second or so. If we didn't hit them that early we generally missed the fish as they spat the bait from feeling the "weight" of the balloon.

i would like to know how to regularly catch bony bream though.....

Moffy

Mate if you ever work out how to catch the little buggers let me know "L"been scaring up a couple of freshwater gar at Cresbrook and they seem to work well on the yella, but have never caught a bony.
Anyhow we are off to Monduran after xmas to give them a burl on the plastics and hard bodies. May try a jig and see what happens.
Have a good xmas
Steve

Gordie
24-12-2008, 04:38 PM
SNODGER, I like to lay out pots in the impoundment I am fishing in. ( overnight )Shrimp, Red Claw, Blue Claw. I think that whatever you catch would be legal to use.

But now that you have mentioned it I am going to check it out.

I have caught Shrimp in Bird Bay, Monduran, and I think the catties cleaned them up in a fraction of the time I took to get them so I wont bother again.

DICK, I like to cut the line of a fish that is hooked deep as the general opinion is that they will finally shed it. I wouldn't like it myself, but what is your experience in releasing that way.

I am even kind to the Catties.

Regards Gordon