PDA

View Full Version : 101 Fish to catch - 1 down 100 to go

Deejay2400
06-11-2008, 03:25 AM
Here I was sitting in the Devil’s waiting room with a ticket in my hand waiting for my number to be called when I thought ‘beggar this for a joke’ I’m going fishing.
Truth of the matter was that a couple or more doctors had suggested that I shouldn’t make too many long term commitments because I have about as much hope of meeting them as Jack Nicholson and Morgan Freeman in the movie The Bucket List.
It was time to make up my own bucket list and what better way to start it than by going fishing.
So Bucket List Fishing 101 was formed; a suitable logo designed, polo shirts were printed and a trip was made down to the local BCF store to stock up on tackle.
My aim is to catch 101 different varieties of fish in the coming months and I will go anywhere and everywhere I can to do so.
BLF 101 commenced on October 27 with a charter on the M.V.Whai out of Whitianga on New Zealand’s Coromandel Peninsula. The target species was snapper and the bigger the better.
Skipper John Ellwood knows more about snapper than just about anyone I know and has a 35 pounder mounted on his wall at home to prove it.
The Whai is a hardy old steel cat that has been in the Ellwood family for 30 years and still runs like a dream. It’s capable of sleeping 10 fishermen and John but this time there were just seven of us.
We left harbour at 4pm hoping for a dusk fish and to get at least enough for a feed that night. We had other rations if we didn’t but John put us on to a few good size kelpies and by dark we had half a dozen legal snapper in the bin and had thrown back a good size skate that had given me some curry for awhile.
The Kiwi weather remained kind to us as we cruised around the Mercury Island Group and cast lines into what Queenslanders such as myself consider really shallow water (15 to 20 metres). My first fish of the day was a 3kg snapper caught on a nuclear chicken soft plastic – my first decent fish on a plastic.
Down the back of the boat the boys were starting to pull in some good eating sized hapuka – a bit of a surprise in such shallow water. But the fun was soon interrupted by barracuda that attacked everything we put into the water and became expensive pests shredding plastics.
An hour before dusk we pulled into a small bay and anchored a couple of hundred metres off shore. The moment the baits hit the water we were on. The next hour was one of the hottest snapper sessions I’ve had and by the end of it we had bagged 40 snapper of between 3kg and 6kg. They were still biting well after dark, but what made it even more stunning is that we were fishing in less than 10 metres of water.
We moved further down the shoreline of Great Mercury Island to anchor up for the night and spent a fruitful hour or so catching big calamari. Those large squid heads made ideal bait the following day.
Ironically, the first thing to take my line in the morning was an octopus which provided us with plenty of interesting moments over the next couple of hours. Apart from chasing it around the bait bin and having to foil its many attempts at escape, it provided us with an interesting live bait and snapper don’t seem to be able to resist.
Try cutting a tentacle off a live occie and you’ll find it still has plenty of movement in it – enough to attract a six kilo plus snapper to one of the guy’s 10lb outfit. It was a memorable fight and one you can see at
http://au.youtube.com/watch?v=BZ7YxhJfS5w (http://au.youtube.com/watch?v=2kV1CzKpv0s)
You can also see my 5.75kg catch at
http://au.youtube.com/watch?v=sf-L8jAsCvA (http://au.youtube.com/watch?v=sf-L8jAsCvA)
The food on board was getting better and the skipper soon added to it with a bounty of fresh cray so our final night on board started with an entree of kahawai (Australian salmon) marinated in soy and ginger and cooked on the bbq; fresh strips of fried calamari, crayfish and snapper done in sweet chilli and mango.
The quest for 101 is underway. In December I’m heading to Bamaga to join Greg Bethune on a 7 day charter out to the reef where he tells me there are more than 50 species I can catch. I plan to get as many of my catches as possible on video and post them to You Tube so anyone who is interested can follow my progress.
I’m open to suggestions – and invitations – on how to reach the target of 101 and I’m game for just about anything...Deejay 2400.:dankk2:

Ps: If you want to organise a charter on the Whai go to

www.marineadventures.co.nz (http://www.marineadventures.co.nz/) or call John on +6478662229 or +64274768171

Donny Boy
06-11-2008, 06:07 AM
Top stuff Deejay, Live the dream !

What a ripper fish !
Keep us posted about your travels, exploits & catches.

Goodonya mate...Tight lines.

wags on the water
06-11-2008, 07:25 AM
Thanks for sharing your quest. Good luck with the list.

Cheers,

Wags

ozbee
06-11-2008, 08:04 AM
all the best

finga
06-11-2008, 08:39 AM
Good on ya matey :)
What an attitude :D
Stuff the devil...I'm off fishing

If your planning to come to Australia you'd better let the many people here know about it.
I'm sure a few will be more then willing to accommodate you in achieving your goal of the magic 101 different species.

Ozie_3
06-11-2008, 08:43 AM
great fish Deejay,
entertaining videos..

best of luck on the next hundred

cheers Chris

goddy100
06-11-2008, 10:07 AM
welcome to ausfish deejay!
Sorry about your health, but love your attitude and outlook!!
How about posting your list so fellow ausfishers can see where they can help out.

Goddy

Bull Shark
06-11-2008, 10:52 AM
Well done Deejay

Love the Idea - RESPECT- and with the right fisho's I have no doubt you will reach your 101 species.

It will be a challenge but one well worth reaching, what an adventure,awesome, if you do head over to QLD Australia let us know as we have some prime fishing here and could no doubt get the number of catches up.

All the very best.

I look forward to your adventures.

8-)

Deejay2400
06-11-2008, 11:28 AM
Thanks for the encouragement everyone. I'm actually based in Brisbane and the NZ trip was a sentimental journey back to where I caught my first 20 pounder.
During the trip I caught:
1. Snapper
2. Skate
3. Octopus

But at this stage I think I should only count the snapper, What do you reckon?

Peter4
06-11-2008, 11:49 AM
Mate, count whatever fish you like! Love your attitude - stay positive....

Do you actually have a list of 101 species you are targetting or just the usual suspects and any by-catch?

Deejay2400
06-11-2008, 12:22 PM
No specific list but there are certain fish I really want. For example I've caught hundreds of red emperor but never a legal one, so a big red is high on the list. A mate has just loaned me his Penn big game rig so I'm after some deep sea monsters, and I've just bought myself a fly rod - which I've yet to learn to use.
I'd like to get to Canada for the salmon run.

Deejay2400
06-11-2008, 12:23 PM
If you can't view the first of the You Tube videos, give it half an hour. I'm replacing it with a better version and a new url should be available soon.

choppa
06-11-2008, 12:25 PM
terrific read as posted above by all,,,, and i kinda know the attitude behind your decision/plan

made me think of the 101 species i've caught in the years of fishing,,,,,, but bugger me i can't get past 28,,,,, (not including non table fair),,,,there has too be more i'm sure;)

wish you well in your quest,,,,, and yes please,,, throw a few of those species into the pot that you ""really"" want to tangle with,,,, never know,,, there may be a few members that can assist

choppa

Deejay2400
06-11-2008, 01:20 PM
The new You Tube URL is http://au.youtube.com/watch?v=BZ7YxhJfS5w

aussiebasser
06-11-2008, 02:21 PM
Hi Deejay,

I was at Coromandel on October 26th and the weather was horrible. Due to other commitments I couldn't fish until 30th and 31st. We couldn't get a charter on the Coromandel penninsular due to the wind, so went up to Piahia in The Bay of Islands. Wind was high and fishing was low. Beautiful place. Good luck with your quest.

coucho
06-11-2008, 03:27 PM
best of luck Deejay I admire your resolve and hope you smash that 101 and hit the 301 mate best of luck

snagking
06-11-2008, 05:59 PM
Good luck indeed :D

Deejay2400
06-11-2008, 06:31 PM
The latest video of the hot bite off Great Mercury Island ...
http://au.youtube.com/watch?v=aCWWnVqNzJ0

TunaKing2008
09-11-2008, 08:24 PM
great attitude!!! a true fisherman!! keep us updated if you can make it to bermagui for a few days in may somewhere between april 29th - may14/15 i would be happy to take you out for a few days to add a nice 60kg yellowfin to your list!

Deejay2400
09-11-2008, 08:33 PM
Its a date Tuna King. I'll look forward to it. Keep in touch.

Deejay2400
10-11-2008, 12:05 AM
My last thread received such a great response I decided to put together the list so people could watch as I check them off. The Smileys indicate ones caught so far and I might add to the list as I cast more lines. I'm also open to suggestions if there is anything special that I havent included on the list.

1.Australian Bass
2.Catfish
3.Murray Cod
4.Mary River Cod
5.Long Finned Eel
6.Sooty Grunter
7.Jungle Perch
8.Golden Perch
9.Macquarie Perch
10.Redfin
11.Atlantic Salmon
12.Saratoga
13.Brown Trout
14.Rainbow Trout
15.Brook Trout
16.Elephant Fish
17.Eagle Ray
18.Shovelnose Ray
19.Sawfish
20.Skate:D
21.Barramundi
22.Bonefish
23.Black Bream
24.Yellowfin Bream
25.Estuary Cod
26.Dart
27.Drummer
28.Fingermark
29.Flathead:D
30.Flounder
31.Hairtail
32.Giant Herring
33.Javelin Fish
34.Black Jewfish
35.Leatherjacket
36.Long Tom
37.Luderick
38.Mangrove Jack
39.Morwong
40.Mullet
41.Mulloway
42.Moses Perch
43.Pike
44.Queenfish
45.Australian Salmon
46.Threadfin Salmon
47.Tailor
48.Tarpon
49.Tarwhine
50.Big Eye Trevally
51.Bluefin Trevally
52.Giant Trevally
53.Golden Trevally
54.Silver Trevally
55.Thicklip Trevally
56.Tripletail
57.Trumpeter
58.Turrum
59.Whiting
60.King George Whiting
61.Barramundi Cod
62.Coral Cod
63.Flowery Cod
64.John Dory
65.Dhufish
66.Bluespot Emperor
67.Red Emperor
68.Spangled Emperor
69.Sweetlip
70.Baldchin Groper
71.Groper
72.Hapuku
73.Red Gurnard
74.Jobfish
75.Nannygai
76.Parrotfish
77.Pearl Perch
78.Crimson Seaperch
79.Snapper:D
80.Coral Trout
81.Coronation Trout
82.Tuskfish
83.Wrasse
84.Albacore
85.Amberjack
86.Bonito
87.Cobia
88.Yellow Tail Kingfish
89.Spanish Mackeral
90.Spotted Mackeral
91.Mahi Mahi
92.Black Marlin
93.Blue Marlin
94.Striped Marlin
95.Sailfish
96.Samson Fish
97.Swordfish
98.Sunfish
99.Southern Bluefin Tuna
100.Yellowfin Tuna
101.Wahoo

Ally Jack
10-11-2008, 09:25 AM
Going down fighting, I like that
Good luck with your quest

Ally Jack

Scott nthQld
10-11-2008, 12:10 PM
Thats quite a list there, but I may have a couple of double ups, depending on which species you mean.

6. Grunter and 33. Javelin fish, are the same, unless you mean a Sooty Grunter (fresh water species)?

Also,

75 Nannygai and 78 Crimson seaperch are also the same (in NQ anyway), maybe the nannygai you are talking about are the ones caught on southern waters, so I could be wrong again.

Don't mean to nitpick, but something as important as this list (read your other thread), you wouldn't want to find out when its too late and feel you shortchanged yourself.

Deejay2400
10-11-2008, 12:44 PM
Hi Scott, I take your point re the Grunter and Javelin Fish and will target the Sooty Grunter. As for the Nannygai I'm an expat Kiwi so Nannygai has always meant the big eyed, big mouthed red fish you get around the southern half of Aus.

Scott nthQld
10-11-2008, 12:58 PM
No worries thought that might have been the case. And at least you won't have to go far for the sooties, you'll get them in thae same area you will get your junple perch.

Good luck with it, certainly is a long list, I don't think I could even claim 1/2 what you've got listed.

BaitThrower
10-11-2008, 03:37 PM
What about puffer fish or toad fish. I am good at catching those :)

Jeremy
10-11-2008, 04:39 PM
couple of other little things to be ironed out, barramundi cod are totally protected (I believe) so shouldn't be targetting them. Good luck trying to catch a sunfish too! Also, there are more than one species of catfish, mullet, wrasse.

There are half a doz species of sharks you could add to the list.

Enough nitpicking. Overall, I think your idea is great. Not easy at all to catch 100 different species.

Jeremy

onerabbit
10-11-2008, 04:51 PM
Sunfish???? Was a bit surprised by that one,

I ran over one a few years back about a mile off Ballina bar in the pitch black,

end result,
deckie & I both finished up with the windscreen under our armpits, bruises to prove it,
5 foot crack in my keel, now fixed, & surface damage to an almost brand new motor, ( about the 5th trip out ).

These things are huge, although I know there are smaller species,

better off trying to catch a cobia that will probably be sitting right underneath it.

Good luck pulling one in.

Muzz

TunaKing2008
10-11-2008, 08:59 PM
hi again deejay i have noticed you have since

TunaKing2008
10-11-2008, 09:00 PM
hi deejay i have noticed you are also after a southern bluefin i can also manage that for you if your ever down here in vicoria between late feb to june

Deejay2400
12-11-2008, 04:37 PM
Thanks for the advice guys. I realised Barramundi Cod were protected after I had put them on the list and I know there are lots of different species of wrasse, mullet, whiting, shark etc so it wont be hard to find a replacement for anything protected.
As for toadies, I have an unfair advantage. Im a toadie magnet and I reckon if I went for them alone I'd get my 101 in a few days. Then I would have to find another excuse to go fishing. :-)

2manylures
21-11-2008, 03:56 PM
Deejay, if you wanna come south for your Murray Cod I'd be honoured to do my upmost to make sure you ticked that box.

I was never to walk again & have been back fishing for almost 8 months now.

Keep up the good work & don't let em beat ya!;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

therapy
26-11-2008, 08:17 PM
Heartwarming stuff there deejay!. There is always two ways you can go when you get not so good news and I would like to think that I would go the way you have but never really no until your in that position. With the amount of people that slip into depressive states of mind when things go wrong you wonder if getting out and getting some natural highs and adrenalin boosts by hooking into some critters would have a more beneficial effect than some medicinal solutions?? Good luck in your quest and I will be keeping a keen eye on your progress. Go get 'im mate!!!
Cheers...........Terry...................

mod5
14-08-2009, 07:54 PM
Bump .................

Bear001
14-08-2009, 08:29 PM
Hi deejay - I can help you out with ticking off the Murray Cod and Golden Perch from 1 Dec.

I lost my dad 3yrs ago, he was only 54. I myself had spinal surgery 2yrs ago - and I'm sticking it to em'........

Good luck & keep us all updated.

Cind

mod5
14-08-2009, 08:33 PM
Deejay2400 recently passed away.

Please see this post

http://www.ausfish.com.au/vforum/showthread.php?t=153778

Swindells
22-09-2009, 09:27 AM
RIP - atleast he managed to tick off nearly 40 species.